Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Colonel Angus

Do chemical peels eventually make you look worse?

13 posts in this topic

I hear TCA peels make your texture better but over time does this have negative affects doing them repeatedly? It seems some people expecially older celebs probably have done alot of work like this. Some of their faces seem to have unnatural textures and tones. Sort of like how Burt Reynolds and Joan Rivers look plasticky like wax versions of themselves.

"NickHonestly: it's a subliminal advertising technique they used

NickHonestly: they secretly put naked women on the packaging

NickHonestly: but it's hard to tell

Harry Eric Shun: I like to put naked women on my package too

Harry Eric Shun: what a coincidence"

This is just my opinion and I have no doubt that many people will disagree with me. But I do believe doing repeated TCA peels over a long period of time will eventually accelerate the aging of your skin. It will also thin the layers of your skin. I just don't think applying acid to your face repeatedly, unless it's in very low concentrations, is going to be good for your skin. I would compare it to exposing your face to the sun. Temporarily your skin is going to look great, but over the long run all of the UV rays are causing damage. No, there are no harmful UV rays in TCA but the acid is damaging your skin and while it might temporarily improve the appearance of your skin, over the long haul, it can be deleterious. Sorry I don't have further evidence to back up my argument, it's just my 0.02.

Give a man a fish; feed him for a day. Teach a man how to use the internet, and he'll leave you alone for at least a couple of weeks.

Agreed, kooky. What do you think about weekly lactic peels? Do you think it could accelerate the aging process as well?

This is just my opinion and I have no doubt that many people will disagree with me.  But I do believe doing repeated TCA peels over a long period of time will eventually accelerate the aging of your skin.  It will also thin the layers of your skin.  I just don't think applying acid to your face repeatedly, unless it's in very low concentrations, is going to be good for your skin.  I would compare it to exposing your face to the sun.  Temporarily your skin is going to look great, but over the long run all of the UV rays are causing damage.  No, there are no harmful UV rays in TCA but the acid is damaging your skin and while it might temporarily improve the appearance of your skin, over the long haul, it can be deleterious. Sorry I don't have further evidence to back up my argument, it's just my 0.02.

I worry about this too. There must be some long term negative side effects. But then I consider that I already look like I am about 50 and I am only 21!

I'm only 18 have I want to look good now it does'nt really matter when your older anyway and who to say you won't die tomorrow might as well make the most of each day as it comes.

Has anyone tried peels for over a long period of time? If so, how does your skin look now? Are they thinned out? I feel like my skin are thinned out because of TCA peel and I've only started less than 1 yr. Are all chemical peel bad for the skin or just TCA peel?

Fraxel2 Treatment #1

Oct. 20th 2006

CHEEKS ONLY

Energy Level: 15 @ 8 passes

Spot Treat Energy Level: 18 @ 4 passes

Density Level: 125 MTZ

Fraxel2 (Newest Upgrade) Treatment #2

Nov. 17th 2006

CHEEKS ONLY

Treatment Level 10

10 Passes

KJ ~2.64

Energy Fluency (MJ) 25

Density ???

Fraxel2 Treatment #3

Dec. 7th 2006

CHEEKS ONLY

Treatment level 8

8 passes

KJ (Actual Size) ~6.9

Energy Fluency (MJ) 25

Fraxel2 Treatment #4

Jan. 4th 2007

CHEEKS ONLY

Treatment level 8

8 passes

KJ (Actual Size) 2.3

Energy Fluency(MJ) 30

Fraxel2 Treatment #5

Feb. 2007

Cheeks Only

Treatment level: 8

8 passes

KJ(Acutal Size) 1.86

Energy Fluency(MJ) 30

Fraxel Re:pair Treatment #6

Oct/26/2007

Spot treatments on cheeks

Treatment level: 45 MJ

Fraxel Re:pair Treatment #7

Nov/30/2007

Cheeks Only

Treatment level: 70 MJ

Fraxel Re:pair Treatment #8

1/25/2008

Cheeks Only

Treatment level: 75 MJ

Fraxel Re:pair Treatment #9

3/28/2008

Cheeks + Nose

Treatment level: 78 MJ

Coverage: 26%

Fraxel Re:pair Treatment #10

4/25/2008

Cheeks

Treatment level: 75 MJ

Before Fraxel, I've had 5 punch excision. 4 on the left cheek, 1 on the right cheek.

-1 on the left cheek stayed the same but left w/ a linear scar

-1 on the left cheek look much worse. Left w/ long indented linear scar

-2 on the left cheek looks better but left w/ linear scars

-1 on the right cheek looks better (more shallow) but left w/ linear scar.

This is just my opinion and I have no doubt that many people will disagree with me.  But I do believe doing repeated TCA peels over a long period of time will eventually accelerate the aging of your skin.  It will also thin the layers of your skin. 

Agreed, kooky.  What do you think about weekly lactic peels?  Do you think it could accelerate the aging process as well?

Give a man a fish; feed him for a day. Teach a man how to use the internet, and he'll leave you alone for at least a couple of weeks.

This is just my opinion and I have no doubt that many people will disagree with me.  But I do believe doing repeated TCA peels over a long period of time will eventually accelerate the aging of your skin.  It will also thin the layers of your skin. 

Hmm I think you are right, Ive thought about this too.

Do you think this is true for microdermabrason as well?

Yes, you have a point. Since most of us will continue doing peels despite the lack of evidence on long term effects. I think it would be a good idea that we use collagen building products like manuka honey or copper peptides.

If your success is not on your own terms, if it looks good to the world but does not feel good in your heart, it is not success at all - Anna Quindlen

Lisa, I totally agree.

A suggestion that I have are Jason's C products; the C Deep Peel and the 1 Minute Peel. Both seem to be really great for tightening and smoothing the skin....plus, they both stimulate collagen and are VERY effective....mind blowingly effective....but very mild.

For people who have breakout problems with SB's copper peptides, I highly recommend Jason's C and Red Elements lines. Both help with collagen stimulation.

I hear TCA peels make your texture better but over time does this have negative affects doing them repeatedly?  It seems some people expecially older celebs probably have done alot of work like this.  Some of their faces seem to have unnatural textures and tones.  Sort of like how Burt Reynolds and Joan Rivers look plasticky like wax versions of themselves.

This is just my opinion and I have no doubt that many people will disagree with me.  But I do believe doing repeated TCA peels over a long period of time will eventually accelerate the aging of your skin.  It will also thin the layers of your skin.  I just don't think applying acid to your face repeatedly, unless it's in very low concentrations, is going to be good for your skin.  I would compare it to exposing your face to the sun.  Temporarily your skin is going to look great, but over the long run all of the UV rays are causing damage.  No, there are no harmful UV rays in TCA but the acid is damaging your skin and while it might temporarily improve the appearance of your skin, over the long haul, it can be deleterious. Sorry I don't have further evidence to back up my argument, it's just my 0.02.