Photo

Do chemical peels eventually make you look worse?

chemical peel tca

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus

Leader of the Anti-Chuck Movement

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 17
About Me

Posted 18 August 2005 - 01:40 PM

I hear TCA peels make your texture better but over time does this have negative affects doing them repeatedly? It seems some people expecially older celebs probably have done alot of work like this. Some of their faces seem to have unnatural textures and tones. Sort of like how Burt Reynolds and Joan Rivers look plasticky like wax versions of themselves.

#2 kooky

kooky

Intelligent Posts: 11

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 18 August 2005 - 01:57 PM

This is just my opinion and I have no doubt that many people will disagree with me. But I do believe doing repeated TCA peels over a long period of time will eventually accelerate the aging of your skin. It will also thin the layers of your skin. I just don't think applying acid to your face repeatedly, unless it's in very low concentrations, is going to be good for your skin. I would compare it to exposing your face to the sun. Temporarily your skin is going to look great, but over the long run all of the UV rays are causing damage. No, there are no harmful UV rays in TCA but the acid is damaging your skin and while it might temporarily improve the appearance of your skin, over the long haul, it can be deleterious. Sorry I don't have further evidence to back up my argument, it's just my 0.02.

#3 new_guy1

new_guy1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2005 - 04:09 PM

Agreed, kooky. What do you think about weekly lactic peels? Do you think it could accelerate the aging process as well?

QUOTE(kooky @ Aug 18 2005, 07:57 PM)
This is just my opinion and I have no doubt that many people will disagree with me.  But I do believe doing repeated TCA peels over a long period of time will eventually accelerate the aging of your skin.  It will also thin the layers of your skin.  I just don't think applying acid to your face repeatedly, unless it's in very low concentrations, is going to be good for your skin.  I would compare it to exposing your face to the sun.  Temporarily your skin is going to look great, but over the long run all of the UV rays are causing damage.  No, there are no harmful UV rays in TCA but the acid is damaging your skin and while it might temporarily improve the appearance of your skin, over the long haul, it can be deleterious. Sorry I don't have further evidence to back up my argument, it's just my 0.02.

View Post

#4 gemma

gemma

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2005 - 04:15 PM

I worry about this too. There must be some long term negative side effects. But then I consider that I already look like I am about 50 and I am only 21!

#5 thomasknowles

thomasknowles

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2005 - 04:40 PM

I'm only 18 have I want to look good now it does'nt really matter when your older anyway and who to say you won't die tomorrow might as well make the most of each day as it comes.

#6 mz43026

mz43026

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2005 - 06:02 PM

Has anyone tried peels for over a long period of time? If so, how does your skin look now? Are they thinned out? I feel like my skin are thinned out because of TCA peel and I've only started less than 1 yr. Are all chemical peel bad for the skin or just TCA peel?

#7 Jenya

Jenya

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2005 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE(kooky @ Aug 18 2005, 02:57 PM)
This is just my opinion and I have no doubt that many people will disagree with me.  But I do believe doing repeated TCA peels over a long period of time will eventually accelerate the aging of your skin.  It will also thin the layers of your skin. 

View Post

Hmm I think you are right, Ive thought about this too.

Do you think this is true for microdermabrason as well?

#8 kooky

kooky

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2005 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE(new_guy1 @ Aug 18 2005, 03:09 PM)
Agreed, kooky.  What do you think about weekly lactic peels?  Do you think it could accelerate the aging process as well?

NG1, sorry I don't have much experience with lactic peels but I understand they are very mild, almost like vinegar.

#9 kooky

kooky

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2005 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE(Jenya @ Aug 18 2005, 07:09 PM)
QUOTE(kooky @ Aug 18 2005, 02:57 PM)
This is just my opinion and I have no doubt that many people will disagree with me.  But I do believe doing repeated TCA peels over a long period of time will eventually accelerate the aging of your skin.  It will also thin the layers of your skin. 

View Post

Hmm I think you are right, Ive thought about this too.

Do you think this is true for microdermabrason as well?

View Post

Hi Jen, I don't think it's true for microdermabrasion. It doesn't go very deep, at least the professional microdermabrasions I've experienced. You're not really damaging the skin per se, just irritating it somewhat and sloughing off dead skin cells.

#10 Lisa

Lisa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2005 - 05:11 PM

Yes, you have a point. Since most of us will continue doing peels despite the lack of evidence on long term effects. I think it would be a good idea that we use collagen building products like manuka honey or copper peptides.

#11 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2005 - 07:55 PM

Lisa, I totally agree.

A suggestion that I have are Jason's C products; the C Deep Peel and the 1 Minute Peel. Both seem to be really great for tightening and smoothing the skin....plus, they both stimulate collagen and are VERY effective....mind blowingly effective....but very mild.

For people who have breakout problems with SB's copper peptides, I highly recommend Jason's C and Red Elements lines. Both help with collagen stimulation.

#12 snowcarver75

snowcarver75

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE(IDBNVS2 @ Aug 18 2005, 03:40 PM)
I hear TCA peels make your texture better but over time does this have negative affects doing them repeatedly?  It seems some people expecially older celebs probably have done alot of work like this.  Some of their faces seem to have unnatural textures and tones.  Sort of like how Burt Reynolds and Joan Rivers look plasticky like wax versions of themselves.

View Post

It maybe my age speaking here, but I belong to the same camp with "oldguy". There is something about the telemeres that prevents skin cells from dividing endlessly (just like womens' eggs - they dont last forever). It's my belief that aggressive treatments such Accutane in the long run make people age faster. After 10 years I see a lot of that on my brother who used it during his late teen. People who minimize the use of chemicals on their face probably will age a hell lot more gracefully (common sense I guess). In other words, I don't think a few peels will do much damage, but would look warily at the periodic use of acid peels.

Sorry to sound preachy but most people don't give a flying fook for a scar or two on your face which are probably only seen by you. In those cases, try to exchange a few bathroom hours with a local volunteering center to see life in its sobbering light.

#13 arcadian

arcadian

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2005 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE(kooky @ Aug 18 2005, 07:57 PM)
This is just my opinion and I have no doubt that many people will disagree with me.  But I do believe doing repeated TCA peels over a long period of time will eventually accelerate the aging of your skin.  It will also thin the layers of your skin.  I just don't think applying acid to your face repeatedly, unless it's in very low concentrations, is going to be good for your skin.  I would compare it to exposing your face to the sun.  Temporarily your skin is going to look great, but over the long run all of the UV rays are causing damage.  No, there are no harmful UV rays in TCA but the acid is damaging your skin and while it might temporarily improve the appearance of your skin, over the long haul, it can be deleterious. Sorry I don't have further evidence to back up my argument, it's just my 0.02.

View Post

Joan Rivers and Burt Reynolds have had NUMEROUS Face lifts. Thats why they look plasticy. Have you ever noticed how Burt Reynolds went from looking like a WASP to looking like an Asian? No amount of acid could ever do that, and TCA dosen't make your skin look like plastic at all.

The accumulated time I've been trying out acids is about 3 years. I guess you can call that experience..lol, but thats off and on, not in a row. I've tried all different kinds. Have to say I've finally hit upon a routine that works for me because my skin is much clearer, the acne bouts are a lot less.

The routine I have now is awesome. I can't use accutane, and I can't tolerate BP. Some acids I don't tolerate well, so I don't use them anymore. Some I do very well with, especially SA. I can only use retinoids in extremly low percentags. That may be good for anti-aging but not good enough for acne sad.gif

8% TCA I've done for 1 year. (3 times) Its helped my routine a lot and made my skin look much much better. I use a medium SA peel 1-2 times a week in the winter I try to do 2 peels a week depending on how my skin feels, in the spring and fall I do 1. I don't do it at all in the summer, but I do bump up my deep daily exfoliator to 2 times a day.

-A