Photo

*Frequently Asked Questions* for Tetracycine users

calcium magnesium candida ocd

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
110 replies to this topic

#21 byn

byn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 November 2005 - 11:09 PM

Hello,

I'm just new here and I find everything very helpful though there are conflicting views on a specific treatment. Anyway, I just want to share what my old dermatologist told me. She prescribed 500mg of Tetracyline x 7 days, 2 times a day to be consumed a week before my monthly period. Well, that was years since she gave me that and I didnt notice anything significant during that time. Several years after, now that I am 27, I'm back with large acnes and post-acne dark spots. This made me go back to Tetracycline and I am now relogious with 5% BP soap and gel which I use at night. It'll be my 2nd week taking the drug and seems like my face is still in the process of getting rid of the dirt inside...That means, I have a new breakout everyday sad.gif Well, you all know how frustrating this is.

I want to ask if I will still continue my tetracycline intake for 30days with the same dosage. After reading the posts here, seems like I started with the strongest dose. Good thing I dont have the side effects (yet?). Hope to hear from you.

Liberty from skin problems to all!

(",) byn

#22 Jaurim540

Jaurim540

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:26 AM

So i have been on dynacin (the form of minocycline) for over a month now, and seem to be experiencing some side effects. will anyone let me know if this is common. I feel like I am so much more drowsy since beginning the anitbiotics yet my doctor thinks it shoudlnt have anything to do with the medicine, yet she also says antibiotics cause no side effects _ SO i don't really trust her. My skin has gotten ebtter but not toally clear by any means. I get these really bad headaches and I sometimes I get this feeling the kind you have when you've swam for over 2 hours and your eyes begin to get red, and your head feels like it will explode. Also I have some mysterious bruising and I'm worried if this medication is causing my depression to wrosen. I definately feel more depressed since beginning the antibiotics. Also I am having minor chest pains . It could be from smoking, though I only do this occasionally. I have this medicine can cause vaginal yeast infection, and am wondering if anyone knows anything about this or has experienced a side effect similar. REPLY BACK Thanks So Much cool.gif

#23 romeo_scg

romeo_scg

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2005 - 02:52 AM

good stuff. thanks for taking the time to write these FAQ.
If I may I'd like to recommend this section:
Oral Acne Treatment: Antibiotics
..what dermatologists say about tetracycline as well as erythromycin, minocycline and doxycycline.

hope it helps ...

#24 Jaurim540

Jaurim540

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 December 2005 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE(romeo_scg @ Dec 9 2005, 03:52 AM) View Post

good stuff. thanks for taking the time to write these FAQ.
If I may I'd like to recommend this section:
Oral Acne Treatment: Antibiotics
..what dermatologists say about tetracycline as well as erythromycin, minocycline and doxycycline.

thanks for the site.. And does anyone know how to get a higher dosage of dynacin (form of minocycline) from their doctor. Right now I'm on 75mg twice a day and I know there are 100 mg forms and am wondering when and if I should ever be getting a higher dosage.. ive only took the medication for a month.. but i'm hoping to see better results. if anyone knows about this or has gone from 75mg to 100 let me know. thanks cool.gif

#25 romeo_scg

romeo_scg

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2005 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE(BeautyBabe @ Oct 14 2005, 07:47 AM) View Post

Does anyone know if Minocycline weakens the contraceptive pill?

not sure. Doctors do say that "Minocycline should not be used if you are pregnant or if you are breast-feeding." Source: Oral Antibiotics - Minocycline.

there are sideeffects that ARE known:

As with many other antibiotics, you may experience indigestion and abdominal upset, dizziness is a side effect that usually settles after a few days. Skin pigmentation, particularly on the face and mucous membranes may occur with chronic use. Children under the age of 8 who are given this drug may see pigmentation of their teeth. However, this is rarely seen in adults.

Rashes are uncommon but when they are seen, such as with Stevens-Johnson syndrome, they can be severe. Benign intracranial hypertension is only seen rarely, symptoms include headaches and blurry vision. However, you can get headaches without developing this complication. Suppression of bone marrow and kidney toxicity is very rare.

A hypersensitivity reaction to hives, which includes angioedema and joint swelling, has been reported. Drug induced hepatitis and drug induced systemic lupus are rare.
Source: Oral Antibiotics - Minocycline.

hope it helps ...

#26 Guest_funkychicken_*

Guest_funkychicken_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 14 December 2005 - 04:29 PM

stop advertising your website

#27 Ris

Ris

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:14 PM

Does anyone know how long antibiotics(Doxy) should be taken? Ive been on them for a month...im clear now, but I have no clue when I should stop. I have refills for a total of 9 months and I dont have a dermatologist so I cant ask them... eusa_think.gif

#28 odd.girl.out

odd.girl.out

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:55 AM

i was prescribed tetracyclin just yesterday, but the doctor didn't tell me anything about taking the drug with an empty stomach, etc. (some things I found on the internet) soo... I don't know what to do. do you all take Tetracycline without eating first? how do you guys take it?
Speak to me,
when all you got to keep is strong
Move along, move along like I know you do
And even when your hope is gone
Move along, move along just to make it through
Move along.

#29 Derek7.2

Derek7.2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2005 - 05:18 PM

I read in the NY Times, ~2mos ago, where this woman took MINO & had
her body F'upped with PARASITES. But what's worse is that the team
of drs that finally unravelled it said, Oh, that's a known side effect, but
rarely occurs. It wasn't that casual to that woman I'm sure.
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#30 Flowerz and Sausagez

Flowerz and Sausagez

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:16 PM

shock.gif Gross

#31 MasterXaero

MasterXaero

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:55 AM

Hey everyone… I’m sorry for my inexcusable 2-3 month hiatus. I know there are a lot of unanswered questions, so I’m going to respond to each one individually. Hopefully the people who wrote these questions or just anyone reading for educational purposes can still benefit from whatever help I may have to offer. I’ll also put some of these questions in the main faq:

QUOTE(lifetap @ Aug 7 2005, 04:59 PM) View Post
Could you please tell me how long before you should see any results. When is it time to say the mino is not working, should I continue??

It really depends on a few factors: (1) the severity of your acne; (2) the antibiotic dosage; and (3) what other medications you were or are currently taking, skin related or otherwise. This is why it’s important to discuss with your doctor your medical history before going on antibiotics. For example, if you take more than one antibiotic (for an unrelated problem), or if you have been on different ones for a while, you may develop antibiotic resistance, which limits their future potential effectiveness. Otherwise, it could just be a case of having acne untreatable by mino or doxy or tetra (due to level of severity or otherwise), or not being on enough of the drug in the first place. In either case, talk to your doctor.

QUOTE(FunkyMoe @ Oct 19 2005, 01:37 PM) View Post
If you become immune to one of the tetracyclines, say minocycline, will doxycycline or tetracycline still be effective?

Also, are tetracyclines safer than a sulphur type antibiotic such as Bactrim?

To answer your first question: I’d say it depends on how long you took any of the drugs, and how much of them you took. If for example you took mino three or four years ago, then doxy/tetra may or may not work for you. But if you’re switching from one to the other with no time in between, then good ol’ antibiotic resistance might be a factor. So it really depends on the case.

In terms of sulfur versus tetracyclines, they each have their own risks. For example, tetracyclines weaken your immune system and can actually make your acne worse, while seriously loading your body up with sulfur-based medication can affect your lungs or eyes. In my personal opinion, tetracyclines, in the long run, are more dangerous... but I think they get the job done faster, and the sooner you’re cleared the sooner you can get off them.

QUOTE(hensiku @ Oct 26 2005, 02:59 PM) View Post
how much does it cost?

It depends on your medical insurance, if any. I looked around online and some sites are selling them from nine cents to one dollar per pill. If you’ve got some kind of insurance, and your pharmacy is sensible and gives you generic forms of the drugs, then cost really shouldn’t be too much of an issue for most people.

By the way… don’t circumvent your doctors and buy such serious like antibiotics drugs online if you can help it.

QUOTE(The_X @ Nov 12 2005, 10:11 AM) View Post
My skin is pretty good, but I'm already seeing the acne returning a bit. Would you guys recommend using tetracycline more? Or should I move on? And what are some possibilities for more permanent results?

BTW, my dermatologist-prescribed regimen also includes Brevoxyl-4 in the morning and Duac gel, plus tetracycline, at night.

I hate Brevoxyl-4. It’s a 3% or 4% benzoyl peroxide wash right? That garbage made my skin so red and inflamed and flaky, even months after I stopped using it. However this is good news for you – your skin is already predisposed to benzoyl peroxide, so I would recommend doing what I did, because I was in your exact same situation. Drop everything, screw the doctors, and follow Dan’s Clear Skin Regimen at acne.org. I’m not telling you to disobey your doctors, but if you want results, move on and take matters into your own hands. Antibiotics work for some people, but for people like you and I, applying bp gel and moisturizer twice daily is better than pumping grams of antibiotics into your system. And remember, there’s no such thing as an acne cure.

QUOTE(byn @ Dec 1 2005, 12:09 AM) View Post

prescribed 500mg of Tetracyline x 7 days, 2 times a day to be consumed a week before my monthly period. Well, that was years since she gave me that and I didnt notice anything significant during that time. Several years after, now that I am 27, I'm back with large acnes and post-acne dark spots. This made me go back to Tetracycline and I am now relogious with 5% BP soap and gel which I use at night.

I want to ask if I will still continue my tetracycline intake for 30days with the same dosage. After reading the posts here, seems like I started with the strongest dose. Good thing I dont have the side effects (yet?). Hope to hear from you.

Hmm… this is a tough one, but classic example of why antibiotics are not a permanent solution. I don’t like how you’re on Tetracycline and 5% bp soap and gel. Tetracycline makes your skin extremely sensitive (slap yourself on the arm and see how long the red mark lasts), and benzoyl peroxide is a drying agent that’s infamous for reddening and irritating skin. Your skin is being taxed. I wish I could tell you to scrap one for the other, but that’d be irresponsible of me – I’m no doctor. Talk to your derm, ask him if he’s sure that the reason your acne isn’t improving is because you’re doing so much stuff to it. Irritation = breakouts. If you’re looking to get rid of marks left by acne, check this post http://www.acne.org/...showtopic=14887 (Retin-A is good for red marks). I’m not too good with answering severe acne questions, as you’ve probably postulated from my response thus far, because tetracycline just isn’t meant for acne of that magnitude. So like I said, check with your derm as noted above. Best of luck to you.

QUOTE(ssips720 @ Dec 2 2005, 01:26 AM) View Post
So i have been on dynacin (the form of minocycline) for over a month now, and seem to be experiencing some side effects. … I get these really bad headaches and I sometimes I get this feeling the kind you have when you've swam for over 2 hours and your eyes begin to get red, and your head feels like it will explode. Also I have some mysterious bruising and I'm worried if this medication is causing my depression to wrosen. I definately feel more depressed since beginning the antibiotics. Also I am having minor chest pains . It could be from smoking, though I only do this occasionally.

None of those are uncommon side effects for mino, but I’ve never heard of that kind of headache associated with its use. I can tell you that the bruising is a result of the Minocycline making your skin more sensitive. Like I said above, if you slap your arm, you’ll notice the red mark lasts for an unusually long time when compared to other people. The bruises are probably from accidental bumps that you didn’t think much of. Just be aware that your skin is 10x more sensitive now that you’re on an antibiotic. And the reason for the chest pain is two fold, in my opinion – (1) smoking, obviously not the best thing for you to do if you want to get rid of chest pain; and (2) antibiotics weaken your immune system. So I would not be surprised if you’re sick with something else. See what your doctor says… go in for a checkup and tell him about your chest pains.

QUOTE(Ris @ Dec 22 2005, 12:14 AM) View Post
Does anyone know how long antibiotics(Doxy) should be taken? Ive been on them for a month...im clear now, but I have no clue when I should stop. I have refills for a total of 9 months and I dont have a dermatologist so I cant ask them... eusa_think.gif

You’re clear now? Good. Stop taking them immediately. You should now focus your attention to topical prevention. I’d recommend 2.5% benzoyl peroxide with Dan’s regimen at acne.org. BP, as you’ve probably read on the site, kills the bacteria that causes acne and is an anti-inflammatory, so it’ll prevent and treat at the same time. Stop taking doxy and order a few tubes of BP Gel now, so by the time the gel gets to you, you can start the regimen with relatively clear, healthy, and desensitized skin (remember, antibiotics make your skin sensitive, so putting bp on at the same time can do more harm than good). That’s the best advice I can offer you – don’t stay on skin antibiotics longer than you absolutely have to.

QUOTE(://ixean @ Dec 22 2005, 12:55 PM) View Post
i was prescribed tetracyclin just yesterday, but the doctor didn't tell me anything about taking the drug with an empty stomach, etc. (some things I found on the internet) soo... I don't know what to do. do you all take Tetracycline without eating first? how do you guys take it?

I remember taking tetracycline on an empty stomach one hour before or two hours after a large meal. But I only did this because my doctor specifically told me to. If your derm or the pharmacy literature that (should have) accompanied your prescription, or even the prescription bottle, didn’t explicitly tell you when to take it in relation to food, then I don’t see the harm in taking it with food. Although personally I think it makes more sense to take it on an empty stomach (if you can tolerate it) because it won’t bond with food and thus potentially prevent proper absorption.

QUOTE(Derek7.2 @ Dec 30 2005, 06:18 PM) View Post
I read in the NY Times, ~2mos ago, where this woman took MINO & had her body F'upped with PARASITES.

Yup, antibiotic resistance again. Bacteria mutates to survive constant antibiotic bombardment and the body can’t fight off future infections. This is why antibiotics shouldn’t be taken on the long term.

Taking an antibiotic like Minocycline, Doxycycline, or Tetracycline? Inform Yourself!

My personal perscription acne history ..and how I finally cleared up.

#32 Jaurim540

Jaurim540

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:58 PM

Thanks for the reply Master, Luckily i was able to get through most of those side effects I had mentioned but now I feel like i just have bad indigestion and feel liek my internal floura has changed. Bowel movements are much more difficult. I usually can go in a matter of munutes but now it takes longer.

BTW, i wanna change my vitams. i am currently taking a large high potency tablet from the vitamin shoppe. but it is simply too hard to digest and causing frequent gas. But i want something that works on a daily basis that will also improve my skin or at least aid it. something with vitamin E mybe or anything that might help me. I also am on dynacin and dont know if it will have an effect on my meds. what is the best vitamin to take!???? i have mild to moderate acne right now, and the dynacin has helped a lot. I just need a great vitamin to go with it that isnt too harsh. perhaps some kind of powder i can mix into my drinks. that would be ideal. i have no clue yet what to buy. anyone with advice reply back!!!!

#33 MasterXaero

MasterXaero

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE(ssips720 @ Jan 8 2006, 10:58 PM) View Post
what is the best vitamin to take!????

I'm not sure.... I'm more partial to perscription meds and helping people with the Regimen. In terms of a perscription vitamin, the best that I have used is Nicomide. Basically its a combination nicotinamide (750mg), zinc oxide (25mg), cupric oxide (1.5mg), and folic acid (500mcg), which helps block certain bodily chemicals that have been known to cause acne from reaching the skin. The only problem is that it requires a perscription and is pretty expensive, even with insurance. A bottle of 60 pills (one month's worth) will probably run you $25 or $30. So, maybe you can find a nicotinamide supplement at your local vitamin shop.

However, if you're still on an antibiotic you might want to avoid injesting a lot of dairy within one hour before or after taking it because it may prevent proper absorption. Also, if you're going to take any daily supplements, check with your doctor to make sure its ok.

That's about all the help I can offer you. Maybe someone else around here can further assist you.

Good luck =]
Taking an antibiotic like Minocycline, Doxycycline, or Tetracycline? Inform Yourself!

#34 rameelraymundo

rameelraymundo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:14 PM

Hi, I'm a 22 year old male who was just prescribed minocyclin today and instructed to take 2 100mg capsules a day. How bad do the teeth usually discolor when using this drug. The last thing I want is another problem in addition to acne. Also, I play competitive basketball regularly and would it be adverse to play sports while on this drug?

#35 MasterXaero

MasterXaero

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2006 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE(rameelraymundo @ Jan 9 2006, 08:14 PM) View Post

Hi, I'm a 22 year old male who was just prescribed minocyclin today and instructed to take 2 100mg capsules a day. How bad do the teeth usually discolor when using this drug. The last thing I want is another problem in addition to acne. Also, I play competitive basketball regularly and would it be adverse to play sports while on this drug?

Just brush your teeth maybe once more a day, and after you eat a meal brush as soon as you can. Do everything you can to fight tarter buildup. Rince with mouthwash to kill bacteria in your mouth and you should be fine.

In terms of basketball, watch out for bruising. If someone bumps into you, if you fall, or any other close contact will bruise or leave red marks for a little while because mino makes your skin more sensitive.

#36 rameelraymundo

rameelraymundo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2006 - 12:38 AM

QUOTE(MasterXaero @ Jan 9 2006, 06:01 PM) View Post

QUOTE(rameelraymundo @ Jan 9 2006, 08:14 PM) View Post

Just brush your teeth maybe once more a day, and after you eat a meal brush as soon as you can. Do everything you can to fight tarter buildup. Rince with mouthwash to kill bacteria in your mouth and you should be fine.

In terms of basketball, watch out for bruising. If someone bumps into you, if you fall, or any other close contact will bruise or leave red marks for a little while because mino makes your skin more sensitive.

Does this mean that the red marks left behind by the acne will take longer to go away as well?

#37 MasterXaero

MasterXaero

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2006 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE(rameelraymundo @ Jan 10 2006, 01:38 AM) View Post
Does this mean that the red marks left behind by the acne will take longer to go away as well?

I don't know. I guess that's open to interpretation and debate. On the one hand, mino makes your skin more sensitive, so I'd imagine that also means it takes longer for it to heal itself. On the other hand, it does have an anti-inflammatory in it, plus it is, after all, and ACNE medication, so the answer is both yes and no. Depends on the person and the severity of the acne.

#38 Patthestudent

Patthestudent

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:05 PM

Hi i've been on minocycline for a month now and i was wondering that while taking the drug can i still donate blood?
Could just ask the nurse when i next go, but it would save me a trip if someone knew.

thanks

#39 MasterXaero

MasterXaero

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:59 PM

Yeah but only if you're taking them for acne. If you're taking antibiotics for an infection (like strep throat or something), then you can't donate blood until you're healed.

So you should be ok. =]

#40 rameelraymundo

rameelraymundo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:31 AM

Okay, so I've been on minocycline for about 2 weeks and no new forms of acne have occurred. How long is it usually until the redness left behind by previous breakouts start to fade away? The redness is the only problem with my face at the moment.