Photo

Has anyone here ever used Azelaic Acid??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Icantthinkofaname

Icantthinkofaname

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:47 AM

Just curious if anyone here has used Azelaic Acid before. I was reading that it helps with PIH and acne. They claim that retin-a does the same but for me it just controls acne and if anything prolongs my PIH.

#2 davâ„®

davâ„®

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE(Icantthinkofaname @ Jul 25 2005, 12:47 PM)
Just curious if anyone here has used Azelaic Acid before.  I was reading that it helps with PIH and acne.  They claim that retin-a does the same but for me it just controls acne and if anything prolongs my PIH.

View Post

Hi,

Yeah, apparently it works directly on the pigmentation, kinda, dissolving the excess pigment in the PIH. It does seem very useful, instead of merely stimulating accelerated skin turnover like many PIH treatments.

#3 Icantthinkofaname

Icantthinkofaname

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2005 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE(acne vs link? @ Jul 25 2005, 12:01 PM)
QUOTE(Icantthinkofaname @ Jul 25 2005, 12:47 PM)
Just curious if anyone here has used Azelaic Acid before.  I was reading that it helps with PIH and acne.  They claim that retin-a does the same but for me it just controls acne and if anything prolongs my PIH.

View Post

Hi,

Yeah, apparently it works directly on the pigmentation, kinda, dissolving the excess pigment in the PIH. It does seem very useful, instead of merely stimulating accelerated skin turnover like many PIH treatments.

View Post

Hi, thanx for the response. Have you used this before?? I wonder how good it controls acne because for me I have really only used retin-a micro and I am afraid to switch to anything new. I know you need a prescription for Azelaic acid anyway. I am 22 now and it seems that my acne is on its way out naturally. I use a lot less medicine that when i was 17 or 18. I only use the retin-a on half of my face. I'm starting to think that Azelaic Acid is better for me then Retin-a. Retin-a isn't even exfoliating me anymore. I guess my skin is so used to it. I dont think retin-a has ever helped at all with my red marks. Like I said, if anything it just prolonged them. I am very interested in this Azelaic Acid.

#4 davâ„®

davâ„®

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2005 - 01:44 PM

Yeah, tricky one that. I use BP and I often wonder what my skin would be like if I used Retin-A Micro.

Well. I haven't used Azelaic Acid I'm afraid, but in all the medical journels it is quoted as being comparable to BP and Retin-A for treating acne.

It might be worth a try, but you would probably need to apply Azelaic acid twice a day... I guess you only apply Retin-A once?

Infact, come to think of it, if the Retin-A isn't that irritating for ya, maybe you could apply Azelaic acid in the morning, and Retin-A at night? Then you get the best of both worlds!?- I know someone who does this on here, and there skin is ace.

#5 Icantthinkofaname

Icantthinkofaname

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:08 PM

yeah I'm thinking about getting a vitamin c serum and applying it before my retin-a application. The problem is it costs 100 dollars and I dont have the money for it right now. I am willing to try that and see how things go with that. Azelaic ACid in the morning and retin-a micro at night sounds like a great idea. The only reason why i want to try the Azelaic acid is because it's said to help red marks. The retin-a definetley hasn't helped me with my red marks at all. thanx for the suggestion

#6 callmeback

callmeback

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:19 PM

I actually use azelaic acid in the morning, (for antibacterial, killing demodex mites, antiinflammatory, open the pores), and then I use retin a micro .04% at night. I really like both. Retin a makes my face red though, when first applied. But is by far the best retinoid I have used (and I used tazorac, and differin). Azelaic acid is used as an alternative to hydroqulorine (don't know if I spelt that right).. Azelaic acid will not lighten your skin to anything lighter than your normal complexion. Using retin a with azelaic acid is a very very good combination. I use finacea 15% gel. Azelaic acid is really awesome though. You cannot see red marks anymore. It ITCHES AND STINGS when first applied. Really annoying. But it subsides. It helps control oil a little. I moisturize with olay sensitive skin 15 SPF. I think I am going to switch to eucerin redness relief as someone recommended that on a post I made. My skin is pinkish, and I like pure white. But I am literally 100% clear with this. And bacteria does not become resistant to azelaic acid either! And your skin does not become resistant to tretinoin. So I can use this forever. Yay.

#7 davâ„®

davâ„®

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE(Icantthinkofaname @ Jul 25 2005, 08:08 PM)
yeah I'm thinking about getting a vitamin c serum and applying it before my retin-a application.  The problem is it costs 100 dollars and I dont have the money for it right now.  I am willing to try that and see how things go with that.  Azelaic ACid in the morning and retin-a micro at night sounds like a great idea.  The only reason why i want to try the Azelaic acid is because it's said to help red marks.  The retin-a definetley hasn't helped me with my red marks at all.  thanx for the suggestion

View Post

Wooo, $100!! Man! Thats a lot of money for a gamble, when Azelaic Acid has been proven to work, and at a fraction of the cost.

#8 Icantthinkofaname

Icantthinkofaname

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:49 PM

well retin-a micro is also said to help with red marks and if anything it is prolonging my red marks. I have been reading a lot of good things about vitamin c serum and it's effects on the skin. Check out this link below. Read the entire article. As you can see retin-a and any other tretinoin doesn't seem to promising. The others however do...

http://www.dermadoct.....55A92E3BE58D}

#9 Icantthinkofaname

Icantthinkofaname

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE(callmeback @ Jul 25 2005, 04:19 PM)
I actually use azelaic acid in the morning, (for antibacterial, killing demodex mites, antiinflammatory, open the pores), and then I use retin a micro .04% at night.  I really like both.  Retin a makes my face red though, when first applied.  But is by far the best retinoid I have used (and I used tazorac, and differin).  Azelaic acid is used as an alternative to hydroqulorine (don't know if I spelt that right)..  Azelaic acid will not lighten your skin to anything lighter than your normal complexion.  Using retin a with azelaic acid is a very very good combination.  I use finacea 15% gel. Azelaic acid is really awesome though.  You cannot see red marks anymore.  It ITCHES AND STINGS when first applied.  Really annoying.  But it subsides.  It helps control oil a little.  I moisturize with olay sensitive skin 15 SPF.  I think I am going to switch to eucerin redness relief as someone recommended that on a post I made.  My skin is pinkish, and I like pure white.  But I am literally 100% clear with this.  And bacteria does not become resistant to azelaic acid either!  And your skin does not become resistant to tretinoin.  So I can use this forever.  Yay.

View Post

Hey callmeback, thanx for the response.

Did you get prescribed Azelaic Acid?? If so, did the same derm that prescribed you retin-a micro prescribe you Azelaic Acid?? Sorry about the questions I just like to know as much as I can because I know my derm wouldn't mix medications like that. I know I need to see a new derm that is willing to work with me. I have been using retin-a micro .1% with clindamycin phosphate applied once in the morning for the past 5 years literally. I really want to get my hands on some Azelaic acid so I can use that in the morning for my red marks and acne and retin-a at night to mainly control my acne. I am 22 now and my acne is much easier to control now then when I was 13 or 14. Do you feel that Azelaic Acid really does help with red marks??

#10 callmeback

callmeback

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2005 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE(Icantthinkofaname @ Jul 25 2005, 09:54 PM)
QUOTE(callmeback @ Jul 25 2005, 04:19 PM)
I actually use azelaic acid in the morning, (for antibacterial, killing demodex mites, antiinflammatory, open the pores), and then I use retin a micro .04% at night.  I really like both.  Retin a makes my face red though, when first applied.  But is by far the best retinoid I have used (and I used tazorac, and differin).  Azelaic acid is used as an alternative to hydroqulorine (don't know if I spelt that right)..  Azelaic acid will not lighten your skin to anything lighter than your normal complexion.  Using retin a with azelaic acid is a very very good combination.  I use finacea 15% gel. Azelaic acid is really awesome though.  You cannot see red marks anymore.  It ITCHES AND STINGS when first applied.  Really annoying.  But it subsides.  It helps control oil a little.  I moisturize with olay sensitive skin 15 SPF.  I think I am going to switch to eucerin redness relief as someone recommended that on a post I made.  My skin is pinkish, and I like pure white.  But I am literally 100% clear with this.  And bacteria does not become resistant to azelaic acid either!  And your skin does not become resistant to tretinoin.  So I can use this forever.  Yay.

View Post

Hey callmeback, thanx for the response.

Did you get prescribed Azelaic Acid?? If so, did the same derm that prescribed you retin-a micro prescribe you Azelaic Acid?? Sorry about the questions I just like to know as much as I can because I know my derm wouldn't mix medications like that. I know I need to see a new derm that is willing to work with me. I have been using retin-a micro .1% with clindamycin phosphate applied once in the morning for the past 5 years literally. I really want to get my hands on some Azelaic acid so I can use that in the morning for my red marks and acne and retin-a at night to mainly control my acne. I am 22 now and my acne is much easier to control now then when I was 13 or 14. Do you feel that Azelaic Acid really does help with red marks??

View Post

I have been using azelaic acid for about 4 weeks. yes it does fade red marks. You just need patience (as with all acne medications). That is very weird that your dermatologist won't prescribe you azelaic acid with retin a...Yes the same derm prescribed me both. First she prescribed a benzoyl peroxide wash but I am not a bp person/ So I read up on azelaic acid and said shoot, I need to get this. Azelaic acid IS antibacterial. So I do not know why your derm would not perscribe it in conjunction with retin a micro.

#11 Icantthinkofaname

Icantthinkofaname

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2005 - 04:50 PM

well I guess I should of stated myself more clear. I meant that I don't think my derm would do that. I guess I can ask him for a prescription of Azelaic Acid but I don't know if he'll do that. I am using a stronger retin-a then you. I don't know if that has anything to do with mixing Azelaic Acid and Retin-a. I am on the strongest percentage of Retin-a micro at .1%. I would love to try this I guess I will have to call up my derm and talk to him about it see if he would be willing to mix this with my retin-a micro at night.

#12 callmeback

callmeback

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:00 PM

Don't use retin a, azelaic acid together at the same time. That would irritate your skin like shit, especially at .1%. I know you are using an antibiotic in the morning. The bacteria will get use to it though. With azelaic acid, there is no bacterial resistance. That is why it is seen as a less harsh alternative to benzoyl peroxide. If I were you I would stop the antibiotic in the morning and just use azelaic acid in morning, retin a micro .1% at night, and wash with a mild cleanser like cetaphil. I am not planning on getting bumped up to retin a micro .1%. >04% burns enough. And I am doing fine the way it is going. This is just my input. And yes, I doubt your dermatologist will prescribe you azelaic acid and retin a micro to be used together at the same time. Your skin will seriously, burn, and itch, and sting, and will be beat red.

#13 Icantthinkofaname

Icantthinkofaname

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE(callmeback @ Jul 25 2005, 06:00 PM)
Don't use retin a, azelaic acid together at the same time.  That would irritate your skin like shit, especially at .1%.  I know you are using an antibiotic in the morning.  The bacteria will get use to it though.  With azelaic acid, there is no bacterial resistance.  That is why it is seen as a less harsh alternative to benzoyl peroxide.  If I were you I would stop the antibiotic in the morning and just use azelaic acid in morning, retin a micro .1% at night, and wash with a mild cleanser like cetaphil.  I am not planning on getting bumped up to retin a micro .1%.  >04% burns enough.  And I am doing fine the way it is going.  This is just my input.  And yes, I doubt your dermatologist will prescribe you azelaic acid and retin a micro to be used together at the same time.  Your skin will seriously, burn, and itch, and sting, and will be beat red.

View Post

I knew after I typed that it was going to come out wrong. I am not good at getting my point across the right way by typing lol. It's a lot easier to talk even though I am a fast typer lol. I didn't mean actually to mix the two together, I meant to use the azelaic in place of the clindamycin phosphate for my morning routine. I just wish I could buy it without a prescription. I hate how some derms just honestly don't know enough about PIH and just prescribe one thing or don't really take it serious thinking it will just go away on its own.

#14 callmeback

callmeback

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:33 PM

Just tell him that you fucking want azelaic acid instead of clindamycin and that is the end. He will give it to you.

#15 Icantthinkofaname

Icantthinkofaname

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE(callmeback @ Jul 25 2005, 08:33 PM)
Just tell him that you fucking want azelaic acid instead of clindamycin and that is the end.  He will give it to you.

View Post

i hope so

#16 kanmi

kanmi

Twilight

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:16 PM

I used azelaic acid when I was using finacea. I was on it for too long though I think, and it of course, stopped working to prevent my zits. But it did completely clear up my hyperpigmentation.

#17 callmeback

callmeback

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:19 AM

QUOTE(kanmi @ Jul 27 2005, 04:16 AM)
I used azelaic acid when I was using finacea. I was on it for too long though I think, and it of course, stopped working to prevent my zits. But it did completely clear up my hyperpigmentation.

View Post

Oh no it stopped working? eusa_wall.gif