This topic is archived.
459 replies to this topic

#1 cartman

cartman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2005 - 02:02 PM

Hi everyone. I wanted to share some information I've found about Hibiclens. CHLORHEXIDINE topical antiseptic (Hibiclens®, Hibistat®, and others) is used to clean the skin prior to surgery. Chlorhexidine destroys bacteria, which helps prevent infections during and after surgery. Chlorhexidine cleanser (Hibiclens®) may also be used to treat acne.
If you go to page 29 of http://www.cleaning1...sion-AppdxA.pdf it tells of a study that compared Hibiclens to 5% Benzoyl Peroxide. see also http://www.ncbi.nlm....7&dopt=Abstract
Here is a summary:
The efficacy of 4% CHG (Hibiclens) was compared to 5% benzoyl peroxide and the product vehicle in randomized controlled studies (Stoughton and Leyden 1987). In the first trial, benzoyl peroxide and CHG were both used twice daily for 12 weeks. Both treatments significantly improved the condition of acne patients (BP, p<0.001, CHG, p<0.01) at eight and 12 weeks. The subsequent 12 week study compared CHG to vehicle and showed that CHG again effected significant improvements in patient condition at all times (p<0.001). CHG was also significantly more effective than vehicle at each test period (p<0.05 to 0.001).

http://www.drugdiges...biclens,00.html also says that Hibiclens can be used to treat acne. I just went and bought some at Walgreen's, but I think they have it at Rite Aid, CVS & most other stores like that in the U.S. I paid $10 for 8oz bottle that I'm assuming will last a long time. I plan on using it today and will report back with my results.

Anyone already using Hibiclens for their acne? If so, how's it going? From what I've read, Hibiclens is potent enough and kills a broad enough range of microbials that your skin most likely won't become immune to it.
I love Cheesy Puffs!

#2 Julez

Julez

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2005 - 02:54 PM

I do not have any info, but I am extremely interested in this stuff. Did you have to get a prescription for the, is it soap?. I was also wondering how harsh it is and if you could list the other ingredients. Also, how is this different from Triclosan in Cetaphil (other than it seems way more potent). I have a Walgreens down the street and I would love to check it out tonight, but what part of the store do you find it in?

#3 cartman

cartman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2005 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE(Julez @ Jun 27 2005, 02:54 PM)
I do not have any info, but I am extremely interested in this stuff.  Did you have to get a prescription for the, is it soap?.  I was also wondering how harsh it is and if you could list the other ingredients.  Also, how is this different from Triclosan in Cetaphil (other than it seems way more potent).  I have a Walgreens down the street and I would love to check it out tonight, but what part of the store do you find it in?

View Post

Julez,

To answer your questions: No, you don't need a prescription for hibiclens and you can find it in the band-aid aisle of the store also near the rubbing alcohol. From what I've read about it, it's not very harsh and, in fact, is what many doctors use to cleanse before surgery so it is much stronger than triclosan. Also, I haven't been able to find any information on triclosan actually being effective against the p.acnes bacteria like Chlorhexidine is.
The ingredients are as follows:
Active Ingredients: Chlorhexidine Gluconate (4%)

Inactive Ingredients: Fragrance, Isopropyl Alcohol, Purified Water, Red 40
I love Cheesy Puffs!

#4 Julez

Julez

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:14 PM

[quote=cartman,Jun 27 2005, 03:08 PM]
[quote=Julez,Jun 27 2005, 02:54 PM]I do not have any info, but I am extremely interested in this stuff.  Did you have to get a prescription for the, is it soap?.  I was also wondering how harsh it is and if you could list the other ingredients.  Also, how is this different from Triclosan in Cetaphil (other than it seems way more potent).  I have a Walgreens down the street and I would love to check it out tonight, but what part of the store do you find it in?

View Post

[/quote]

Julez,

To answer your questions: No, you don't need a prescription for hibiclens and you can find it in the band-aid aisle of the store also near the rubbing alcohol. From what I've read about it, it's not very harsh and, in fact, is what many doctors use to cleanse before surgery so it is much stronger than triclosan. Also, I haven't been able to find any information on triclosan actually being effective against the p.acnes bacteria like Chlorhexidine is.
The ingredients are as follows:
Active Ingredients: Chlorhexidine Gluconate (4%)

Cartman, you are so great to get back to me so fast!!! (Totally off the subject, but is that Cartman as in SouthPark, I luv those guys) Anyway, that sucks about the Cetaphil; at least it was cheap. I was thinking as you were talking about it that I had order this stuff call Reversion off the internet. It has Chloroxylenol (0.8%) and inactive: water, sodium laureth sulfate, cocamidopropyl betaine, peg-8, cocamide dea, lanolin oil, frangrance, edta, citric acid, d&c red #33. I have never used it, but it sounds like the same concept. However, yours sounds better because it has more chlorhexidine concentration and less other ingredients. I am such a chicken because I don't want to start using this and become resistance to it. Please let me know how it goes with it. I have really dry skin at times and I am afraid of drying products because they make things worse.

Ps The maker of reversion promises that the lanolin will not clog my pores. Please please keep me updated on your progress because I really am interested in this product. Do you think antibacterial agents make a difference if it is washed off immediately? Do you think it can penetrate the skin into the pores to make a difference? I sure hope so! Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Julez

#5 Julez

Julez

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:47 PM

I was looking around this site and found something cool on the science regimen or something like it. The post says to go to http://www.geocities.com/loganruns73/ (if that is the wrong one, let me know). Anyway, it talks about chloroxylenol and the benefits of it vs. other cleansers and it has a cool and supposedly scientific regimen. I am going to try it. Thanks for bringing that chloroxylenol to my attention. Please read the whole article because it will have links to the items you should buy. I will let you know how it all works out. But it will be a week until I get all the stuff in. Please let me know what you think.

#6 BriGuy86

BriGuy86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:02 PM

Hi guys. Thanks to Chris23, who showed this stuff to me, It's helped me achieve 100% clearness. Try it out!!!!

#7 oilliks

oilliks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE(Julez @ Jun 27 2005, 10:47 PM)
I was looking around this site and found something cool on the science regimen or something like it.  The post says to go to http://www.geocities.com/loganruns73/  (if that is the wrong one, let me know).  Anyway, it talks about chloroxylenol and the benefits of it vs. other cleansers and it has a cool and supposedly scientific regimen.  I am going to try it.  Thanks for bringing that chloroxylenol to my attention.  Please read the whole article because it will have links to the items you should buy.  I will let you know how it all works out.  But it will be a week until I get all the stuff in.  Please let me know what you think.

View Post

heh, some of the information at that site (http://www.geocities.com/loganruns73/) is erroneous (such as the benzoyl peroxide explanation, dealing solely with cleansers, and comments on the regrowth rate of the p. acnes bacterium - which is actually very slow, and takes an average of 10 days to repopulate back to base levels when reduced to under 5% of existing population. however, yeah, i too have been recommending chlorhexidine - just keep it away from your eyes. this stuff is known to cause permanent corneal damage from even a single exposure to the eye. so, there's a heads up. someone trying a regimen involving this product on these forums, and further information, is available here.

#8 cartman

cartman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:53 PM

Thanks guys... I wasn't trying to steal your thunder. eusa_liar.gif Seriously, I used the hibiclens tonight.....I'll keep y'all updated on my progress.
I love Cheesy Puffs!

#9 BriGuy86

BriGuy86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:09 PM

Awsome. Please do. I find it is VERY effective yet gentle
cool.gif

#10 Julez

Julez

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:37 PM

Your freaking me out!!! So, do I need to keep it away from my eyes? Do I need to wash my eye-makeup off with something else? Does it take off makeup? And has anyone given a definite answer about if you can become resistant to it. I do not want to use anything be harmful in the long run to my quest for clear skin.

#11 oilliks

oilliks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE(Julez @ Jun 28 2005, 12:37 AM)
Your freaking me out!!!  So, do I need to keep it away from my eyes?  Do I need to wash my eye-makeup off with something else?  Does it take off makeup?  And has anyone given a definite answer about if you can become resistant to it.  I do not want to use anything be harmful in the long run to my quest for clear skin.

View Post

no, resistance isnt going to happen. it binds to and deforms the cellular membranes of bacteria - this is a structural attack on the essence of the cell, its not something that immunity will spring from easily. chlorhexidine is used as a surgical scrub for doctors in ER's, because of its wide-ranging bactericide - this isnt just some typical antibiotic agent, its an extremely effective biocide/antiseptic. the only known resistance to develop is from gram-negative bacteria, in pneumonia and e coli strains. p. acnes is a Gram positive bacterium, and no known resistance has ever been developed to chlorhexidine. again, this is noteworthy, because when used as a surgical scrub both for doctor's hands, and to prep patients surgical areas, p. acnes is the most predominant bacterium populating the skin, and its widespread use demonstrates the agent's efficacy at killing p. acnes.

but yes, keep it AWAY from your eyes. this isnt something to play around with. i wouldnt be using it as a makeup remover, no - its designed to disinfect. it will be most effective when the skin is clear of dirt/oil/makeup.

#12 cartman

cartman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:43 AM

oilliks, thanks for the info. So, would you suggest washing the face with another cleanser before washing with the hibiclens just to make sure the dirt and oil is off the face and to allow the hibiclens to penetrate better?

Also, why don't dermatologists suggest this cleanser for acne? I've been going to dermatologists for 20 years and none of them ever mentioned this.... hmmmmmm!!!
I love Cheesy Puffs!

#13 goldengirl

goldengirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:59 AM

Our derm recommended Dial antibacterial liquid hand soap for the face, so maybe at some point the Hibiclense will be suggested as well.

#14 Julez

Julez

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2005 - 11:48 AM

So, should I use another soap to remove make up before the chlorhixdine (sp?)? And what should I use because my face might not be able to take all the washing. Also, my husband is in the surgical field (he lives in the operating room) and he said that his only concern is that the antibacterial soap also kills good bacteria. As far as the implications on acne prone skin - he didn't know. He said that there are lots of choices of soap outside the o.r. and uses antibacterial soap as little as possible (he does not like me to buy it for everday soap at home) because some people think over time it will weaken one's immune system. I have no idea how these ideas apply to acne prone skin. He told me that if I did use it - to be very careful and only use it once a day. Does anyone know the long term affects of using such potent antibaterial soap? I am sure it is way better than oral antibiotics. Any info here would be terrific!

#15 Julez

Julez

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2005 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE(BriGuy86 @ Jun 27 2005, 09:02 PM)
Hi guys. Thanks to Chris23, who showed this stuff to me, It's helped me achieve 100% clearness. Try it out!!!!

View Post

Tell me EXACTLY how you used it and what brand. I am curious what your method was. Thanks

#16 oilliks

oilliks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2005 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE(Julez @ Jun 28 2005, 01:49 PM)
QUOTE(BriGuy86 @ Jun 27 2005, 09:02 PM)

View Post

Tell me EXACTLY how you used it and what brand. I am curious what your method was. Thanks

View Post

julez: i posted the link earlier up above in my post to chris23's story - its here. as far as your husband's concern - most bacteria on the skin are helpful in that they prevent harmful pathogens from infiltrating and colonizing the skin (and the body through the skin). in fact, p. acnes bacteria has actually been shown to reduce the chance of skin cancer, in more than one study. however, in this case, other priorities supercede this bacteria - acne is not an acceptable condition for most of us, and the chlorhexidine removing this bacteria causes the skin no direct physiological damage, as, unlike the intestinal tract, say, the skin is not dependent on bacteria for function.

#17 BriGuy86

BriGuy86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2005 - 02:48 PM

Alrighty- Heres what I've been doing for the past month:

Upon rising:

-Shave with Mach 3 power razor and Edge pro gel sensitive skin w/aloe

-Cleanse with HIBICLENS for about 1min VERY gently- wait 5min to dry

-Apply small amount of Dan's BP gel to trouble areas (cheeks and forehead)wait 10min to fully absorb

-Apply Nivea for Men daily protective lotion with spf 15

Before Bed:

-Apply topical Vitamin A (bought from www.thevitamincure.com)- wait 10min to absorb

-Apply Neosporin Creme to any redmarks and/or active spots

There you have it. My regimen thats given me 100% clear skin! I just added in the Topic Vitamin A about a week ago and so far its TOTALLY ELIMINATED my oil productivity. Wow I love it. The Hibiclens cleanser is VERY effective. Be sure to keep your eyes closed tight and rub gently. If you have Qs, hit me back. Hope this helps!

Brian

#18 cartman

cartman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2005 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE(BriGuy86 @ Jun 28 2005, 02:48 PM)

Upon rising:

-Apply small amount of Dan's BP gel to trouble areas (cheeks and forehead)wait 10min to fully absorb

Before Bed:

-Apply topical Vitamin A (bought from www.thevitamincure.com)- wait 10min to absorb

There you have it. My regimen thats given me 100% clear skin! I just added in the Topic Vitamin A about a week ago and so far its TOTALLY ELIMINATED my oil productivity. Wow I love it. The Hibiclens cleanser is VERY effective. Be sure to keep your eyes closed tight and rub gently. If you have Qs, hit me back. Hope this helps!

Brian

View Post

Brian,

Of all of the stuff you're doing, do you think the hibiclens is main factor in your clearing up or do you think it's really a combination of all of the right things?

I love Cheesy Puffs!

#19 Guest_Tempest_*

Guest_Tempest_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE(BriGuy86 @ Jun 28 2005, 09:48 PM)

If you have Qs, hit me back. Brian

View Post

biggrin.gif
Do you rinse it off ?

#20 BriGuy86

BriGuy86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE(cartman @ Jun 28 2005, 08:53 PM)
QUOTE(BriGuy86 @ Jun 28 2005, 02:48 PM)

Upon rising:

Before Bed:

Brian

View Post

Brian,

Of all of the stuff you're doing, do you think the hibiclens is main factor in your clearing up or do you think it's really a combination of all of the right things?

View Post

Honestly, I think it a combination of all the part of my regimen. I am adressing more than one factor- efficiently destroying bacteria and controlling oil production as well as not irritating my skin. I do also believe that the Hibiclens is a powerful factor in the fight aganst my acne for the following reasons:
1. It is gentle and non irritating so does not further increase my chances of provoked breakouts (potentially from SA, scrubs, etc)
2. Extremely potent in destroying p. acnes bacteria which, when used twice daily, does not allow them to regroup nor become immune.