Photo

how long does it take for red marks to heal?

red mark hyperpigmentation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 a dude

a dude

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2005 - 07:35 PM

i have red marks, but only on my cheeks (which i find to be pretty strange).... my acne has faded recently, so at the moment my biggest problem is my red spots. i have relatively fair skin, so they tend to stand out a bit. some of the spots are even with the rest of my skin, but some of them are slightly indented. could anybody give me an estimate as to how long these marks will last... do they fade gradually? im currently using doxycycline pills, clenia face wash, clenia emoliant cream, and finacea topical cream.... do any of those products help expidite the healing of red spots? should i try another product to help with my "red spot issue"?.. as you all know acne is... in a word shitty and if you guys could help me with this it would help me out a lot.

#2 artlez

artlez

Be happy!! :)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2005 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE(a dude @ Jul 10 2005, 12:35 PM)
i have red marks, but only on my cheeks (which i find to be pretty strange).... my acne has faded recently, so at the moment my biggest problem is my red spots. i have relatively fair skin, so they tend to stand out a bit. some of the spots are even with the rest of my skin, but some of them are slightly indented. could anybody give me an estimate as to how long these marks will last... do they fade gradually? im currently using doxycycline pills, clenia face wash, clenia emoliant cream, and finacea topical cream.... do any of those products help expidite the healing of red spots? should i try another product to help with my "red spot issue"?.. as you all know acne is... in a word shitty and if you guys could help me with this it would help me out a lot.

View Post

It gradually heals up to a maximum of about 2 years. Depends on the person of course - some take considerably less time, some take more. If it's still there after a couple of years, they're usually there forever. Ofcourse this isn't definite. You can use chemical peels to help speed up the process, but ofcourse these come with risks. A simple look around in these forums will show you many procedures in which you can take to speed up your healing time.
:o

#3 a dude

a dude

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2005 - 01:39 AM

thanks for the reply... wow i was expecting a lot less than 2 yrs... im going ot see a dermo in a few wks and ill post what he tells me.. maybe it will help some of you guys. i was hoping it wold be more like 2 months. does sun exposure hurt you in the long run? im only 17 so im not worrying about wrinkles or anything like that quite yet.. just worried about pimples and long term marks.

#4 a dude

a dude

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2005 - 01:59 AM

hey also.... should i post pictures of my cheeks so you guys can tell me if the red marks are just moderate, severe, or if some are possible scaring? as i said before.. im going to the dermo in a few wks.. but i get the impression he is either a) not the most informed dermo or b) doesnt really care and just wants to push patients through. multiple opinions would be great... especially because a lot of you seem to be very knowledgable.

#5 artlez

artlez

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2005 - 03:05 AM

By 2 years I meant the absolute maximum. Normally people say 6-12 months, which is probably more correct than 2 years. 2 months if you're lucky and the marks aren't severe. But as I said it highly depends on the person. Taking Vitamin C, MSM, Vitamin E along with other supplements helps a bit too. Refer to in particular, Antony's thread which you'll be able to find in his sig.

Sun exposure and red marks shouldn't mix. Although your red marks may look better after some sun in the short term, it'll infact make your marks go darker in the long run.

#6 a dude

a dude

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2005 - 03:32 AM

QUOTE(artlez @ Jul 10 2005, 09:05 AM)
By 2 years I meant the absolute maximum. Normally people say 6-12 months, which is probably more correct than 2 years. 2 months if you're lucky and the marks aren't severe. But as I said it highly depends on the person. Taking Vitamin C, MSM, Vitamin E along with other supplements helps a bit too. Refer to in particular, Antony's thread which you'll be able to find in his sig.

Sun exposure and red marks shouldn't mix. Although your red marks may look better after some sun in the short term, it'll infact make your marks go darker in the long run.

View Post

wow.. you know your stuff hah.. thanks a lot. all of that stuff is great info. do you really feel that the vitamins will make a noticible difference? if so i will go out and buy them tomorrow. do the red marks become more severe in the long term with sun due to increased melanin levels or what?... thats about it and thanks again

#7 a dude

a dude

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2005 - 03:52 AM

sorry... yet another follow up here.. which andrew are you referring to? i did a search for andrew and there was a page full of them.. im new to this sight so i dont know whose who yet

#8 artlez

artlez

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2005 - 04:05 AM

QUOTE(a dude @ Jul 10 2005, 08:32 PM)
QUOTE(artlez @ Jul 10 2005, 09:05 AM)

View Post

wow.. you know your stuff hah.. thanks a lot. all of that stuff is great info. do you really feel that the vitamins will make a noticible difference? if so i will go out and buy them tomorrow. do the red marks become more severe in the long term with sun due to increased melanin levels or what?... thats about it and thanks again

View Post

Antony's thread: http://www.acne.org/...showtopic=47719 (not Andrew biggrin.gif)
Here's a thread on vitamins: http://www.acne.org/...showtopic=52520
Vitamin C in particular should help in healing your red marks because it's a known wound healer, and red marks can be considered as wounds to the skin. It also boosts collagen levels to a degree so it's good in that respect as well. Taking Vitamin C is also good for your general well being so it's good to take it anyway.

Red marks become darker from the sun because that's what the sun does to your skin - it makes it darker or more tanned. Since your skin is becoming more tanned, it's only natural that the marks will also become more tanned, or in other words - darker.

#9 a dude

a dude

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2005 - 09:31 AM

cool thanks for the links and such... but one thing about the red marks and sun... wouldnt that mean the red marks darkness would reduce at relativly the same rate as your sknis darkness when taning? or are you saying that the effect on the red marks is perminent?

#10 mimi2005

mimi2005

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2005 - 09:37 AM

My derm said 6-12 months for the redmarks to fade. Make sure you use sunblock.

#11 a dude

a dude

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2005 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE(mimi2005 @ Jul 10 2005, 03:37 PM)
My derm said 6-12 months for the redmarks to fade. Make sure you use sunblock.

View Post

would the sunblock irritate my skin and create new pimples.. thats what deters me from wearing sunblock.. fear of new pimples.

#12 Kuhoolish

Kuhoolish

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2005 - 02:56 PM

dang, up to 2 years, i can tell i've had some for about a year now... crap. it's summer now and so i'll need to be getting that sunblock on my face. the problem is, all i've really got are red marks.

#13 winnie44

winnie44

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2005 - 08:45 PM

ive got red marks onm my cheeks and its all gone rough where the previous acne was. i wish i could just wake up and feel normal again.