Photo

For those that use Accutane how much does it cost?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 Randomer

Randomer

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:13 PM

With insurance, without, whatever. When I've gotten prescriptions from the doctor (doesn't matter what it is for) the pills are expensive (even with insurance)! How much does it cost you for like a month's supply of Accutane? Does the dermatologist give you a prescription for a life-time amount (or just for for every many months they think you'll need it for)?

And then just your off-topic questions, does Accutane affect your body adversely other than getting rid of all the oil production (or at least I think that's what it does)? Are there any people that use this for life, you know day-in, day-out, everyday or do you take it and once you have clear skin you stop taking it?

#2 aquaman

aquaman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE(Randomer @ Jun 20 2005, 06:13 PM)
With insurance, without, whatever. When I've gotten prescriptions from the doctor (doesn't matter what it is for) the pills are expensive (even with insurance)! How much does it cost you for like a month's supply of Accutane? Does the dermatologist give you a prescription for a life-time amount (or just for for every many months they think you'll need it for)?

And then just your off-topic questions, does Accutane affect your body adversely other than getting rid of all the oil production (or at least I think that's what it does)? Are there any people that use this for life, you know day-in, day-out, everyday or do you take it and once you have clear skin you stop taking it?

View Post

if you press the search button it will answer your questions.

#3 iRfreak

iRfreak

HAHA COOL I CAN CHANGE THIS

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2005 - 08:10 AM

nil if your insurance covers

expect a pill to cost as much as a burger if it doesn't

#4 beentheredonethat

beentheredonethat

Ribbit!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2005 - 08:35 AM

With insurance, without, whatever.

Completely dependant on your individual insurance coverage, ask your insurer if it's covered. To find out how much it costs without insurance, call a local pharmacy. Check on the brand name and generics.

When I've gotten prescriptions from the doctor (doesn't matter what it is for) the pills are expensive (even with insurance)!

The Accutane is likely to be the most expensive prescription you've ever had.

How much does it cost you for like a month's supply of Accutane?

Depends on what dose you are prescribed. It comes in 10mg, 20mg, and 40mg pills, and you have to mix and match them to get the right dose. You may have to pay a co pay for each strength of pill you need since they come in packs. When i took it as a teenager, it cost about $750 a month for my supply, and we got 80% of that refunded by the insurance. Generics weren't available then though, so it ought to be more affordable now. If my derm ever gets on with prescribing the second course i'm expecting to start, my co-pay for generics will be either $10 or $25 (can't remember which category the generic falls into) and $50 for brand name Accutane. Not sure if that's per pack or per prescription.

Does the dermatologist give you a prescription for a life-time amount (or just for for every many months they think you'll need it for)?

If you are in the US, the derms are only allowed to give you a presciption for one month's supply max. You must return to your derm for each new month's prescription and blood work to ensure that your liver isn't freaking out, and that you aren't pregnant if female.

And then just your off-topic questions, does Accutane affect your body adversely other than getting rid of all the oil production (or at least I think that's what it does)?

If you don't know the answer to this, you really ought to do some basic research into Accutane. There are minor uncomfortable side effects that almost everyone gets, and some rare serious side effects that most people don't, but some do. You should be well versed on the risk versus reward of this drug before you decide whether the risk is worth it to you.

Are there any people that use this for life, you know day-in, day-out, everyday or do you take it and once you have clear skin you stop taking it?

Normally, no. It's a very serious drug (basically a controlled overdose of Vitamin A) with the potential for some nasty side effects, most people are prescribed a six month course with a target dose of 1mg/kg/day, and a total dose of 125mg/kg. That's the basic US treatment. In other countries a lower dose for a longer time is often used, with the same total dose target. Some people do take very low doses as maintanance, but as far as i know this is an untested practice and many doctors beleive it to be a bad idea.

#5 tiredofwaiting

tiredofwaiting

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2005 - 08:52 AM

I have an $8 copay for a months supply

#6 blueeyednycgal

blueeyednycgal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:18 AM

I pay $10 for month supply with insurance.
$150 montly dr visit, insurance pays and i pay 25 copay
blood work charges my insurance company over 200 bucks each month, i pay i think 15.

#7 MrsZ

MrsZ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:29 PM

It depends on your particular insurance, the mg prescribed and whether you use generic or brand name. You also have to pay for the monthly lab work.

Under my insurance plan, I only paid $8 for a month supply, $15 for the bloodwork and $20 copay for the doctor. My insurance would only pay for it if I took the generic. I know it would have been around $550 a month if I didn't have medical insurance. Just because you have insurance doesn't mean your copay will be low. A friend of mine had medical insurance, but she paid $80 a month for the prescription. If you have insurance, the coverage information is most likely available online.

#8 gda_11

gda_11

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:32 PM

I'm Canadian and therefore only had to pay a few dollars for the entire 7 month supply. Also, the dermatologist visits were free, as well as the blood work.

Thank you public health care.

#9 Kairasa

Kairasa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:20 PM

Moved to the appropriate sub-forum.

#10 peaches3450

peaches3450

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:23 PM

I'm on Claravis, one of the generic forms of Accutane, and it costs me $15 copay with my insurance. If you have insurance and its covered, it will cost whatever your prescription co-pay is. Without insurance one month supply of Claravis is about $148 (I can see how much my insurance paid on my prescription). Since your blood work has to be monitored (and pregnancy if youre a woman), you have to get it month to month. Most people take a 4, 5, or 6 month course. Some people take a very low dose (10-20mg) for a longer period of time.

There's a lot of basic info about Accutane online...google it smile.gif

#11 bremenfan29

bremenfan29

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:46 PM

I haven't took Accutane yet, but I heard the medication clears the acne good. I'm taking antibiotic and using acanya creme, but they aren't helping. When I see my dermatologist in a month, I'm thinking about switching to Accutane.

#12 VinnyLuvR

VinnyLuvR

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:58 PM

I pay $70 for a month supply
$50 copay for the derm visit
and about $50 for blood work
So, about $ 180 monthly plus my insurance premium. I have bcbs.

#13 missj0064

missj0064

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:59 PM

I pay 5.00 for a month supply
40 dollar co-pay
30 dollars for blood work

#14 Breetard89

Breetard89

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:01 PM

I pay 30$ for a two month supply, and then 80$ per derm appt. And I'll have to go to probably 3 derm appts during my course. I'm not complaining. smile.gif

But over here, if you have a health care card, you get the two month supply for 5$ and the derm appts for free free. Which is good. But you've got to earn under a certain amount of money per week - I think it's just under 500$. I earn more than that. So meh.

#15 Jonny_5

Jonny_5

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:06 PM

I pay...

Co-Pay for Derm visit: 15$
Blood work: 0$ (part of the co-pay I pay to visit derm since it's a referral from my derm)
1-Month supply: 5$ (60mg a day)

I am soooo grateful for the little amount I pay, on my RX receipt it shows how much my insurance covers and for my one month supply of Claravis (was on amnesteem, was switch to Claravis) it said my insurance covered 815!! Leaving me to only pay 5$

#16 pd504

pd504

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:54 AM

Months supply $30 with insurance

$40 per derm visit

Edited by pd504, 22 April 2011 - 06:00 AM.

#17 ny_college_guy

ny_college_guy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:45 AM

I have Oxford health.

15$ for derm visit

$20 for the Accutane, 40mg (just started on it)

#18 gbinct

gbinct

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:47 PM

I'm from the US, between jobs, and unfortunately without very good insurance. From my local pharmacy (CVS) I would be paying close to $600.00 per month. Thankfully, my pharmacist told me about ordering through a Canadian pharmacy. I have done this, and pay around $75 per month. There are several good & reputable Canadian pharmacies out there like Northwest.

So, for those without insurance, or for those with poor insurance, there are options.