Photo

Just had CROSS treatment using 100% TCA!

tca

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1472 replies to this topic

#1 stefany

stefany

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2003 - 05:54 PM

I just had CROSS (chemical reconstruction of skin scars) using TCA today.
The doctor cleansed my face, wiped the affected areas with acetone, and focally applied 100% TCA to each pitted scar with a sharpened wooden applicator. It was not painful, however, it did sting for a few seconds and then subsided. The treatment only took about 15 minutes to do both cheeks. Iced towels were placed over my scars for about 5 minutes, then covered with Aquaphor. This will be the first of 5-6 treatments, which has yielded out at least 70% improvement in the Korean article. I am very hopeful about this. :D/

I am going to post my results for the full 5-6 treatments to let everyone know how it is progressing. I am in no pain---I have only a little swelling.
The doctor gave me some antibiotics to be extra careful not to get an infection.

#2 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2003 - 06:00 PM

Thanks stefany - can't wait for the updates? When's the next session?
The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter.

EDIT: Maya is a former moderator but unfortunately no longer posts here.

#3 stefany

stefany

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2003 - 06:11 PM

Maya,

I will follow up with Dr. Ridenour on Monday. The plan is do it every 30 days or so, depending on how quickly I heal.

#4 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2003 - 06:16 PM

What is the expected down time for each cross treatment? Can you apply makeup after a couple of days?

This is so exciting!! Are you making a photo diary?

Also, can you detail the types of pits you have. Thanks!!

#5 poohman

poohman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2003 - 06:36 PM

I hope this works well for you.

I had this done about 8 days ago when I had subcision and the Nlite. The Doctor pressed firmly and seemed to twist the applicator around. It s so simple I wish I could do it myself. To charge $700+ for this seems a bit obscene to me, though I'm sure my doc is on the pricey side. He did give a "special" deal for having it done with subcision, only $250.

Make sure you keep those scabs on as long as possible, mine are pretty much all off by now... its too early see results yet.

Also my doctor, Rapaport, said in his experience not that many treatments were needed to get good results (not as many as the Korean study suggest.) Best of luck...

#6 OursFan

OursFan

~ Tamara

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2003 - 09:06 PM

Thanks for letting us know about it. Please keep us updated. :D
~ Tamara

You cannot perceive beauty but with a serene mind.
- Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

Visit My Claravis Journal

#7 stefany

stefany

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2003 - 09:14 PM

Maya,

The downtime is until scabs form, then make-up can be applied. I would say 2-3 days after. I am going to work tomorrow because I can hide my cheeks with my hair pretty well. My scars are the result of cystic acne, they are the "pitted" kind. I don't have any icepick scarring. I would say I have about 9-10 scars on my right cheek which are the deepest, and about 5-6 on my left which are more shallow and not as large. I have one depressed scar on my chin. My doctor is taking pictures as I go along. Unfortunately, I do not own a digital camera at this time. I wish I did.

Poohman,

That is my understanding to keep the scabs on as long as possible. But in the article, it said not to moisturize after scabs form. My doctor TOTALLY disagrees with that theory. He believes moisture such as Aquaphor or Bacitracin is imperative. What instructions did Dr. Rappaport give you?

#8 Anna

Anna

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 May 2003 - 01:30 PM

Stefany,
This is so cool! I wish you nothing but the very best!

Anna

#9 stefany

stefany

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 May 2003 - 09:01 PM

I just received an e-mail from a lady I spoke with about CROSS at my doctor's office. Apparently, my doctor is conducting a test group for this procedure. She had 3 test spots done, and is so thrilled about the whole procedure. I encouraged her to post on Acne.org. This is very exciting! :D/

#10 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 May 2003 - 12:20 AM

Stefany - I really hope you have great success!! :D

#11 stefany

stefany

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 May 2003 - 06:07 PM

Well it has been 6 days since my first CROSS treatment. I still have scabs, however they are starting to fall off on their own. I went to see my doctor today, and he has me starting back on RENOVA in one week.
I have no hyperpigmentation so far, and I will have this treatment done again in 3 weeks. I can't note improvement yet until these scabs fall off. Will follow up in a few days. :)

#12 stefany

stefany

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2003 - 06:30 AM

All of my scabs fell off on the 7th day. It has been 10 days since the procedure, and I notice approximately a 15% improvement already. The doctor said collagen remodeling will continue for the next month or so. My shallow scars on the left side of my cheek are barely noticeable, but my deep scars on my right cheek will take the full 5-6 treatments I am sure. Right now I am just using a mild cleanser and sunscreen.

#13 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2003 - 10:28 AM

That's a pretty good improvement so far. Are you scheduled to do this every month?

#14 stefany

stefany

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2003 - 06:06 PM

Maya,

Yes. I am to do this every 30 days.

#15 Wally

Wally

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2003 - 06:12 PM

Congrats, hope everything gets better. Have a couple of questions. Is the doctor doing it for free? What would happen if you were broken out a bit? How many scars would the doctor do this? And one more thing, how bad or scarring???

#16 stefany

stefany

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2003 - 10:11 PM

Blueeyedbia,

Yes, the doctor is doing this at no charge. He is treating all of my scars. He put me on antibiotics to make sure I didn't break out or get a staph infection. Plus putting antibiotic ointment on helped also. As far as my scars go, I have some rolling and boxcar acne scars on my right cheek. They are the worst. My left side has just shallow acne scarring. I am extremely hopeful of this treatment. That is why I am posting on this forum. :-

#17 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2003 - 05:54 AM

Stefany - about antibiotics - becasue it kills the gut flora in the intestines, it can cause long term effects and eventually break you out once you stop taking them. I suggest (if you aren't already doing so) you start taking some probiotic (good bacteria) supplements and also add some 'live' yogurt to your diet. And when you get off the antibiotics, take a heavy dose probiotic for a few months.

#18 stefany

stefany

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2003 - 05:59 AM

Thanks Maya. I have already in the past experienced the bad effects from antibiotics. I do like to eat yogurt, but I mainly take lactobacillus acidophilus capsules. The good thing is, I only took the antibiotics for 7 days.

#19 stefany

stefany

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2003 - 04:59 PM

Just had a follow-up with my doctor. He said I have healed just fine and I am scheduled for treatment #2 on June 18th. Still just showing minor improvements, but nonetheless, I have improved. Will keep you updated. :D

#20 stefany

stefany

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2003 - 07:02 PM

Just had CROSS treatment #2 today. Will post in 6-7 days after my scabs have fallen off.