Photo

Retin-A and Benzoyl Peroxide??? can you mix?

benzoyl peroxide retinoids

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 amytmcg

amytmcg

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:35 PM

I always thought that i had heard somewhere that they shouldn not be combined...is this true??? I use retin a nightly, but wonder can i do retin a every other night and on the off nights use the benzoyl peroxide? or would they cancel each other out?

#2 Blo0dCrIeSZ

Blo0dCrIeSZ

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:17 PM

You can use retin a and benzoyl peroxide at different times of day, but not at the same time. Such as, putting benzoyl peroxide on and then applying retin a right after

#3 04Dakota

04Dakota

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:27 PM

Yeah, I actually just talked to my derm about this, he said that you can use them both, but not mixed together at the same time. He said to leave AT LEAST 3 hours before applying the second topical. He also said that if possible to use them everyother day...

#4 rockonjl9

rockonjl9

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:54 PM

yeah..i would use the bp during the day and at night use the retin a..my derm actually said that retin-a worked better if used along with bp

#5 ξ®ٱ©

ξ®ٱ©

Doesn't listen to emotions, listens to logic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 32
About Me

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:14 PM

retin-A and BP is a classic acne fighting combo perscribed by derms for a long time. Typically retin-a is applied in the evening and BP in the AM.

#6 amytmcg

amytmcg

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:04 AM

QUOTE(erpatter @ Jun 16 2005, 11:14 PM)
retin-A and BP is a classic acne fighting combo perscribed by derms for a long time.  Typically retin-a is applied in the evening and BP in the AM.

View Post

thanks for all the replies!!!!

#7 jwchop

jwchop

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:11 AM

To answer the original poster's question here a section taken from the Article "Diagnosis and Treatment of Acne" from the Journal American Family Physician

http://www.aafp.org/...40501/2123.html

Tretinoin (Retin-A) is inactivated by ultraviolet (UV) light and oxidized by benzoyl peroxide. It therefore should be applied only at night and never with benzoyl peroxide. Tretinoin may decrease the amount of native UV protection by thinning the stratum corneum; thus, daily use of sunscreen is recommended. Because the irritation caused by tretinoin is dose-dependent, treatment should be initiated in a low dose. Patients only need a pea-sized amount of product per application.

Like one of the posters mentioned above apply BP and Retin A separately. Either 3 to 12 hours apart. Do not use immediately after one another, neither will be effective.

Cheers!
jwchop

#8 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:51 AM

Years ago I was applying isotrexin and then BP half an hour later because I mistakenly thought thats what my GP wanted me to do with it. It actually completely cleared my nose of blackheads for the first and only time since I was about 14! After about a week of this though, my skin must have been pretty thin as it stang like hell when I slapped the BP on

#9 babooz

babooz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:14 PM

What if im using a bp face washer? Im guessing it would cancel out too right?