Photo

diluting TCA 50%

tca

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 superbhoy80

superbhoy80

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:43 AM

hi everyone.

I have recently purchased a 50% TCA kit and on the instructions it says that if i want to dilute it to 25% then i have to ''mix 1 part (tsp, drop, etc.) 50% TCA with 1 part purified or distilled water."

Does this mean that i can use tap water for dilution? They have sent me a dropper so as long as i use any amount of TCA with the dropper then i must dilute it with the same amount of water with the dropper for 25% mixture? sorry if i sound silly but the instructions i received with the kit are not helpful at all.

you help is greatly appreciated. smile.gif

#2 weathergrl

weathergrl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:48 AM

Yes, the proportions for diluting 50% TCA to 25% TCA are 1:1---in other words, you use equal amounts. If you use a dropper full of TCA, use a dropper full of water. If you use a teaspoon of TCA, use a teaspoon of water.

As for using tap water, I usually used distilled water because the tap water in my town has a lot of chlorine and other chemicals in it, and I don't know if it will react badly with the TCA. Distilled water is cheap at the grocery, I would reccomend buying some. I hope this helps you. If you want to dilute the TCA to an even lower concentration, let me know. I am good at doing the math to get the proportions correct.

#3 superbhoy80

superbhoy80

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2005 - 03:04 PM

Thanks for your help weathergrl. I'll buy some purified or distilled water tomorrow. After i've tried a few 25% peels i'd like to try a 35% one. Do you know how to do a 35% mix? Thanks again smile.gif

#4 superbhoy80

superbhoy80

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2005 - 03:13 PM

i live in the countryside and i don't know if a small shop near me would sell distilled water. As for the purified water- is that bottled drinking water like vittel or volvic? I'm in the UK.

#5 superbhoy80

superbhoy80

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:32 PM

i've just looked up purified water on the internet and apparently if i boil the tap water for 5 mins then that is purified water? most websites that sell TCA kits request that you dilute with purified or distilled water so this should be fine then right?

#6 weathergrl

weathergrl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:35 PM

Superbhoy, bottled water should be fine. If your drinking water is pure it should be okay too. I have heard people say to use only distilled water, but I use bottled water and haven't had a problem.

Here is the math to dilute 50% TCA to 35%......

Variable x is amount of 50%TCA
Variable y is amount of 0% TCA (water)

.50x + .0y = .35(10) (The .35 represents a resulting solution that is
x + y = 6 35% TCA and the 10 represents the amount--
be it milliliters, teaspoons, cups, etc., I'll use
droppers full as a measurement since that is
what the peels come with)

If you move the x over in the equation "x + y = 10" to solve for y you get:
y = 10 - x

Substitute this equation (y = 10 - x) into the first one (.50x + .0y = .35(10)):

.50x + .0(10 - x) = 3.50 (the result of .35 x 10)
50x = 350
x = 350/50
x = 7 y = 10 - 7 y = 3

So... you need 7 droppers full of "x" (the 50% TCA solution) and 3 droppers full of "y" (the 0% TCA solution---water) to give you a solution that is 35 % TCA.

The proprtions are 7:3-----use 7 dropppers full of 50% TCA and 3 droppers of water. Be careful when measuring each dropper full and your solution will be exactly 35%.

I hope this math jargon wasn't too much! I know most people hate math. I happen to love it! Good luck and I'm here if you have any more questions. biggrin.gif

#7 weathergrl

weathergrl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:37 PM

I am sooo sorry, I didn't preview the post and it turned out all jumbled! The bottom line is 7 droppers full of 50% TCA and 3 droppers full of water will give you 35% TCA solution.

#8 weathergrl

weathergrl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:39 PM

Plus I forgot to change the 6 to a 10 in the equation because when I did it the first time using 6 I got a decimal answer and I wanted to use a number (10) that would give an even answer so that the percentage would be exact.

#9 Redsquirrel

Redsquirrel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:40 PM

im still too scared to use my TCA. Firstly i gotta have time of work and secondly i did some test patches and was not too impressed with marks left behind (although the main mark that left behind was on my arm - which was quite white).

#10 superbhoy80

superbhoy80

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:39 PM

wow thanks for that weathergrl- pity im not half as good at maths as you are! smile.gif I'll do a 35% probably after a couple of 25% peels. What percentage have you tried weathergrl? did you get good results?

#11 weathergrl

weathergrl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:44 PM

I have done a full face 10% TCA peel. I have used 25%-35% TCA on large areas of my skin (such as the undereye area, but not too close to the eye and between the eyebrows where I have expression lines, as well as on scarred areas of my cheeks). I have also done TCA Cross using 50% on my scars.

I have not had any pigmentation or scarring problems other than lingering redness in the treated scars/areas where I did the cross/peels, but it fades with the use of Retin-A.

After using the 35% on small (quarter sized) areas of my face where I also have scars that I crossed with the 50%, the area scabs over and peels after about a week and continues to flake a week after that. It is a little redder than untreated skin, but loses the redness and regains normal color about two weeks post peel. This is how I have gotten the best results in my indented scars. In the scars that I crossed with the 50% but didn't do a peel over them, the (icepick) scars tended to fill in a little bit, but they also became wider (even though I stayed in the center of the scar) and their edges become more defined, like a boxcar scar. That's why I started doing peels over the crossed areas, it seems to help the edges of the scars blend in better.

Everyone is different and responds differently. This is what is working the best for me. I know skin tone/type can be a factor when using these kinds of treatments. Some people experience drastic pigment changes. I haven't had that problem, but my skin is pretty tough. BTW, my skin tone is light to medium with olive/yellow undertones. Overall, I am pretty happy with the results I have seen thus far. The fine wrinkles under my eyes and between my brows have softened. They weren't deep to begin with, in fact, they were just starting to show up within the past year-so I'd thought I'd try to treat them now at an earlier stage, rather than ten years down the road when they are larger and deeper. My overall skin tone has been improved by the peels and some of my scars (about 3 out of 10)have improved, but it's not a miracle that happens overnight-it's more of a gradual improvement (I have been doing the crosses/peels since March this year).

Good luck to you. I would reccommend that you test a small area first to see how your skin reacts. biggrin.gif