Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

balloonhead

Dettol Liquid / Dettol Antibacterial soap

3 posts in this topic

Okay i know dettol is associated with primarily cleaning floors etc, but it has come to my attention that it contains a powerful antibacterial agent. There is a thread on it on the OTC board - called medicated soap or something.

I think the dettol liquid (4.8% chloroxylenol) would be great for back acne and chest acne. (diluted 1:1 with water) I might try using the soap on my face aswel.

I never knew dettol contained such an acne fighting ingredient - it even says on the back of the dettol antiseptic liquid that you can use it for spots and pimples. So i am going to devise a routine and update how it is going every 2 days or so:

Morning:

Wash with dettol antibacterial soap wash (the bar one) (chloroxylenol)

(Wash chest/back with this as well.)

moisturise (i use olay beauty fluid - no greasy, absorbs sooo fast and easy)

Spray 1:1 solution of dettol antiseptic liquid onto chest and back

Night:

Wash with C&C Advantage quick clear treatment wash (2% Sal. Acid)

Wash chest/back with dettol soap

Apply BP cream (Quinoderm 5%)

moisturise

Spray 1:1 solution of dettol antiseptic liquid onto chest and back

Things i also do to prevent acne:

Eat a good portion of raisins (maybe about 100grams) every day.

Eat 2 apples and one orange a day.

Wash my hands with dettol soap whenever i want to wash my face, or touch my face or pop a pimple (i know i shudn't but i hate yellow heads)

I'll run through how i think this will work:

The dettol soap contains chloroxylenol (lets call this 'CX' in the future for ease) and this protects against 99.8% of bacteria and germs - including the p. acnes - for 12 hours.

The C&C wash contains 2% salicylic acid - which exfoliates dead cells and unclogs blocked pores. I find that i need an salicylic acid wash in my routine to stop the accumulation of dead cells because i break out a lot if i dont use one.

By the time it is night the 12hr protection from the CX / dettol will have nearly expired, so BP cream should be applied. Of course, this provides antibacterial protection geared against the prevalence of p. acnes bacteria.

The dettol liquid 1:1 solution should be sprayed on chest and back day and night to allow complete 24hr continuous protection.

Extra's:

The raisins - i have no idea how these work really, but whenever i eat them i get less spots. It may be something to do with the rapid elimination of toxins due to increased bowel movement. See the diet thread for more info on this - i didnt come up with the idea myself - bfg??? did.

Apples and orange - again, a high fibre diet is meant to be good for acne sufferes

Wash hands with dettol to destroy bacteria that might be transferred to my skin.

In theory this regimen seems invinsible to the acne bacteria - lets just hope it works practically. eusa_pray.gifeusa_pray.gifeusa_pray.gif My skin is a temple!

go for it mate! please keep us updated! eusa_angel.gif

good luck!! eusa_pray.gif

MY SKIN IS LIKE A MAP OF WHERE MY HEART HAS BEEN, AND I CANT HIDE THE MARKS......BUT THATS NOT A NEGATIVE THING

I'LL MAKE IT THROUGH THE RAINY DAYS, I'LL BE THE ONE WHO STANDS THERE LONGER THAN THE REST

Accutane progress:

Month 1: 40mg

Month 2: 50mg

Month 3: 60mg

Month 4: 60mg

1 week of 60mg, 1 week of 80mg (left over tane not going to waste hehe)

FINISHED TANE 8th DECEMBER 2007

ok i tested the soap on my back and chest yesterday and also washed my hands with it really well to test if i got any dryness from it. It does feel like a soap after you have used it - but thats expected lol. I also applied the dettol liquid toner solution that i made up onto my back and chest and it stunk (i can still smell it on me this morning)

My hands are not actually dry like expected them to be so i think i am going to go ahead and use the dettol soap on my face this morning. I don't care if i get a bit of dryness, i just don't want to break out from it. eusa_pray.gif

Try TCP aswell , that can help with reducing redness on those big boil like spots we all love getting !!!!! sad.gif

"You fail me yet again Starscream"- Megatron

hi, i have posted in the past asking about dettol because i have used it as well. I think it seems to work ok but i only used it for a week when i ran out of normal face wash and i was scared to use it for any longer in case it was abit harsh but u can dilute it as much as u want and make it weaker or stronger which great.

Please let me know how it goes. Are u using it on ur face or just body??

What you feel is what you are and what you are is *Beautiful*

-I am currently on Erythromycin 250mg twice daily(2 months now)

-I have just started applying a thin layer of BP at night time

i'm using the dettol soap on my chest/back morning and night and also my face in the morning. I'm using the dettol liquid (the 4.8% PCMX solution) and i dilute it half dettol half water. I'm just using it on my chest and back and it stings like fuck (which i love, feels as if its doing someting).

So did you use the dettol liquid shown below (ie not the soap) on your face?

user posted image

just an update - its hard to jusdge if i have any new pimples on my back - because its my back lol and i cant see very well. But its only been 2 days since i started the dettol liquid so its too early to judge anyway, As for the dryness, its the 2nd morning i have used the dettol 0.5% pCMX soap on my face and again my face got a little dry but after moisturiser it was fine.

there is another type of dettol anti-bacterial in a spray which i used for my piercings that i imagine is quite good and less harsh than the disinfectant

I hate dettol, i use this special liquid that i got from a herbalist. Did you get my message turnergirl?

New Roaccuntane Log

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Nick-s-Ro...01#entry2847801

Finished 1st Round Roaccutane on the 19th December 2006

Living with acne since 2002.

Currently on Roaccutane 70mg. Using gentle wash and moisturizer.

yes thats the one i used, im now using neutrogena oil free wash and its working quite well but if it ever stops i will use Dettol again. My spots didnt get ne worse when ui used it and it tookl away the redness so im sure it works ok. please update soon

smile.gif

rosihhh - what dettol did you use? the liquid or the bar soap? or other?

Looks like my spots are clearing on my back - i'm not jst saying this, this is an honest view ( i hate to big up a product when it doesn't work). So yes i really do recommend buying some dettol liquid and diluting it 1:1 with water to make a powerful 2.4% PCMX/Chloroxylenol antibacterial agent.

**I wouldn't ever use this solution on my face tho - i would only use the soap on my face which is 0.5% PCMX.**

sorry...

turnergirl - i want the PCMX to be fairly strong for my chest and back, thats why i have bought the antiseptic.

You can get 250ml dettol liquid (the orange one shown above) for about £1.20, then dilute it down to 500ml of solution. I really would try it for chest and back sufferers.

...i might start a thread on the OTC board saying this is good for chest and back.

Hey balloonhead,

Why dont u try the dettol antiseptic cream for your face? Look here.

As like a BP smile.gif.

Tom

[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

i'm doing quite well with BP at the mo, n im trying to get a consistent regimen insted of changin every 2mins cos i want to be clear for my hols comin up n changin everythin aint gunna help. thx for the suggestion though - i might try it wen i hav a bit more courage (cos im quite clear at the mo)

arghh my nose is flaking. i think this is too overdrying for me. (or for my current regimen anyway) cos im using 2% SA at night, BP cream at night and this in the morning (they are 3 powerful and drying anti acne products, i think i'm using too many harsh chemicals.) I might just lay off the 2% SA wash and get a 0.5% SA wash instead (the c&c deep action cream cleanser)

I used the Liquid, sorry for the late reply have been on holiday.

Havent ever seen the soap in the shops being sold, have looked for it thou and its no where, where can i get it from???????????????????// confused.gif

ok thort i beta tell u guys that i fink the dettol bar soap has broke me out. its about 5 days since i started using it and i'm gettin small pimples on my cheek where i dont normally get them.

Iv reverted using c&c deep cleansing cream wash n after months of harsh treatments iv finally realised agen what its like to have non dry skin!

my back/chest is continuing to clear nicely. I've just fort that if the soap was breaking me out on my face it would prob do the same to my bak. So im ditching the soap n just using the dettol liquid as a toner for my back/chest.

Hiya, im using the dettol liquid on my face. I dilute it quite alot and i dont use it daily i only use it after ive been doing something where my face could be dirty e.g. going to the gym or after riding my horse. Otherwise i just use my wash with SA but although i havent noticed any bad side effects (ive not drastically broken out) i havent really seen any improvement either-hard to tell as only been about 2 weeks and ive just started on antibiotics but its def worth a try

am pleased to hear ur back clearing up cool.gif

i think the face is harader to clear than the back. i.e. my back acne was a LOT worse than my face - and because ive just started a treatment on my back, its clearing up. i think it may clear up to the level my face is at and then reach a plateau.

Some girl tried detol pure (without diluting it) and it burned her face terribly, with red marks all aover her face! Detol seems to be potent, but in my opinion I'll try it out diluted and make the dose stronger weekly until it is perfect!

Oh my god why did she put it on undiluted! 1stly it stinks and its just so strong.

Im still using dettol liquid but ive also just started a course of Erythromycin so ive no idea whats helping and whats not but ive no major new spots as of yet!

update - got some new pimples on chest and shoulders - not sure why...maybe because i stopped the soap...but that broke me out on my face. Its really difficult to come to a logical conclusion. Back is quite clear, just few spots and red marks

i used dettol soap last summer on my face with my moisturiser

it cleared me up completely

then i stoped using it- and the spots came back doubt.gif

the only thing i didnt like was the fact that i like my cleansing equipment to be in a bottle or something- (travel friendly).

but that dettol is some good shit cool.gif

there is a young woman named treasure

whose goodness is too hard to measure

it's hard to fathom a nicer person

so sweet and free of perversion

"meeting" her has been my extreme pleasure

She Who Must Be Obeyed