fish oil omega-3 phenol

6 replies to this topic

#1 Ben16

Ben16

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:26 AM

I ordered this from this company lef.org great company by the way but yeah i was wondering.. does anyone hae experience with this? they said it was their best fish oil available and it cost me 32 bucks so it better be good...

I ordered mine a few weeks ago.. at the time they only had the one without the olive fruit extract

user posted image

Super EPA/DHA with Sesame Lignans & Olive Fruit Extract
120 softgels
Item Catalog Number: 820
Super EPA/DHA with Sesame Lignans & Olive Fruit Extract is from a new source of pharmaceutical-grade fish oil with a unique 35%/25% ratio of EPA/DHA. The premium fish oil in Super EPA/DHA with Sesame Lignans & Olive Fruit Extract has been tested for pollutants including dioxins, furans, PCBs and heavy metals. The oil is sourced from the purest wild sardine, anchovy, and mackerel fished in cold, pristine, deep waters off South America, where there are significantly less environmental impurities. Super EPA/DHA with Sesame Lignans & Olive Fruit Extract fish oil is the product of a healthy, fully sustainable fishery and is a renewable resource.

Super EPA/DHA with Sesame Lignans & Olive Fruit Extract is manufactured to GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) and HACC (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point) standards and are also in compliance with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency(CFIA) standards. Our fish oil supply is the first and only fish oil ingredient to achieve US Pharmacopoeia (USP) verification, which is the most rigorous quality assurance verification in the world. The U.S. Pharmacopoeia is the body that establishes the standards for the FDA. Direct access to the best fisheries in the world for manufacture of Omega-3 fish oil. Compliant with the Council for Responsible Nutrition's (CRN) Voluntary Monograph on Long Chain Omega-3 EPA and DHA - strict industry manufacturing standards, guaranteeing a high quality product. Life Extension has uncovered research that demonstrates that the addition of sesame lignans to fish oil enhances its beneficial effects. When fats are consumed, they are broken down into factors that either promote or suppress inflammatory reactions. Sesame lignans inhibit an enzyme (delta-5-desaturase) that causes dietary fats to be converted into arachidonic acid, a precursor to the toxic inflammatory factors prostaglandin E2 and leukotriene B4.

Super EPA/DHA now has the nutrient powerhouses of sesame lignans and fortified extra virgin olive oil. To get this level of nutrients found in these high oils would require excessive consumption of the native oils adding many calories to the daily diet.

Polyphen-Oilâ„¢ Olive Fruit Extract is a proprietary, fortified extra virgin olive oil complex developed by Life Extension. The naturally occurring polyphenol antioxidants are typically lost in olive juice discarded during olive oil pressing. Polyphen-Oil tm is highly enriched oil with olive juice extract standardized with these naturally occurring antioxidants.

In his latest book, The Perricone Prescription, Dr. Nicholas Perricone dedicates a section to olive oil and refers specifically to hydroxytyrosol as its rare and most potent protective antioxidant. Dr. Perricone states that hydroxytyrosol slows the aging process in the skin by stabilizing the cell plasma membrane. He recommends daily olive oil ingestion for soft, shiny hair and strong nails.

Only Life Extension’s Super EPA/DHA contains the “healthy trio� of concentrated nutrients from fish oil, sesame seed oil and extra virgin olive oil.

Supplement Facts
Serving Size 2 softgel

Servings Per Container 60

Amount Per Serving
Calories

Calories from Fat

Total Fat
2.2 g

Cholesterol
8 mg

Wild Fish Oil Concentrate
2000 mg

Yielding:

EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid)
700 mg

DHA (docosahexaenoic acid)
500 mg

Other Omega-3 fatty acids
100 mg

Polyphen-Oilâ„¢ Olive Fruit Extract (Olea europa)
265 mg

[standardized to 0.9% polyphenols (2.5 mg), 0.6% hydroxytyrosol (1.75 mg)]

Sesame seed (Sesamum indicum) lignan extract
10 mg

[standardized to 60% sesamin (6 mg)]

Other ingredients: refined fish oil concentrate (anchovy,
sardine, mackerel), gelatin, glycerin, colloidal silicon dioxide,
lecithin, carob color, mixed tocopherols, and rosemary extract.

Super EPA/DHA with Sesame Lignans & Olive Fruit Extract contains twice as much EPA and DHA as conventional fish oil capsules.

Now i don't know.. the one i ordered was exactly the same but maybe this one is better or maybe im een allergic to this olie fruit extra i don't know.. i'll get mine by in a few days..

anyway what do you think of it.
"We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic cords of memory will swell when again touched as surely they will be by the better angels of our nature."

#2 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:13 AM

49 times out of 50, liquid is better than caps. It's easier to ensure quality like temp. and light.

If you want something with even more DHA/EPA and is only around $6 with more servings go to bodybuilding.com (The cheapest I've found with shipping) and get Health From the SUn Ultra OMega 3 Fish Oil, Lemon-Lime flavour.

#3 Gurra

Gurra

Zues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 May 2005 - 02:59 AM

Caps are a scam. Take flax seed oil. Better and cheaper.

#4 LoganRuns

LoganRuns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:35 AM

QUOTE(Ben16 @ May 13 2005, 01:26 AM)
I ordered this from this company lef.org great company by the way but yeah i was wondering.. does anyone hae experience with this? they said it was their best fish oil available and it cost me 32 bucks so it better be good...

"Best" depends on how you define it. Their fish oil would definitely rank as highest quality, but it certainly does not rank as highest percentage of EFAs per serving.

Once they come out with "Mega DHA/GLA with Sesame Lignans", it would be preferred as concentrating to a higher level of DHA requires removing non-GLA filler.

Logan

P.S. Softgels aren't capsules.

#5 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:47 AM

How od you know it's the highest quality? It's gelcaps so right there it's probably of lesser quality than most plain liquid ones due to the heat and light it is exposed to when it's being filled/made. The bottle is white and while it's not necessarily bad, you want a black bottle to be safe. I could list others but I just don't trust gelcaps, when liquid is better and cheaper.

#6 LoganRuns

LoganRuns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 May 2005 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE(blackbirdbeatle @ May 14 2005, 09:47 AM)
How od you know it's the highest quality? It's gelcaps so right there it's probably of lesser quality than most plain liquid ones due to the heat and light it is exposed to when it's being filled/made. The bottle is white and while it's not necessarily bad, you want a black bottle to be safe. I could list others but I just don't trust gelcaps, when liquid is better and cheaper.

View Post

Because LEF is one of the few (as on one hand) manufacturers that use pharmaceutical-grade ingredients and assays the finished product. And the sesame seed lignans makes the fish oil even more potent.

Logan

#7 Eric2005

Eric2005

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

I don't think heat and light exposure tell the whole story here. First, the LEF product is protected from light because the gel caps are black in color. Second, capping the oil inhibits interaction with oxygen (not sure if these are completely oxygen impermeable). If you read the IFOS standards, you'll notice that emphasis is placed on reducing oxidized fats. For a bottle of liquid fat, once the seal is broken there is fresh oxygen supply to the entire product each time the bottle is opened. Therefore, oxidation increases with time. You would have to consume the entire bottle instantly to ensure the same quality that is shipped by the manufacturer.

In spite of additional processing costs that go into making caps, the consumer likely benefits from protection of the product from air.

If supplements were FDA-regulated like drugs are, the consumer would not need to worry about degradation of the active ingredient, because there would be standards to ensure a quality product prior to the expiration date. Since supplements are not regulated, the consumer must rely upon testing from third-party organizations like IFOS to glean minimal amounts of real scientific information. Buyer beware, because this is a consumer space filled with lots of bogus scientific claims from companies and internet speculation from the public.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users