6 replies to this topic

#1 Melissa

Melissa

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:singing, watching tv, reading

Posted 06 May 2005 - 05:56 PM

Hey everyone--had a dermatologist try to sell me on this laser for my mild to moderate ice picks and rolling scars. He says this is the third-generation introduced to the public after all the years of bad press with the first and second generation lasers that did more damage to people's skin than good. He says healing is quicker, I asked for pictures of people with acne scars ---he only had ones of wrinkles and of course those looked really good. He said he knows I am skeptical and he says all other out there that are less ablative like smoothbeam, N-Lite, fraxel...etc are not going to be as effective and are going to cost you the same amount of money due to several treatments needed to see results. AHH---He says 5 thouasnd dollars for a full face treatment will result in about 40 to 50 percent improvement..he didn't like doing spot treatments ---ahhh! eusa_wall.gif I have about 15-20 pits and rolling scars--and something makes me want to just try TCA cross on some of them before forking out soo much money for 40 to 50 percent improvement! I told the doc about TCA cross, he didn't have much to say....What do you all think? Anyone had treatment with this laser before recently? What's more important to me is ...does anyone know of a doc in Minnesota that does TCA Cross! I have been reading this board for the last 3 years, and that is the ONLY thing --besides needling that has any real results for you all. Thanks everyone...
god speed to all of us
Melissa in Central Minnesota

#2 Lexy

Lexy

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 May 2005 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE(Melissa @ May 6 2005, 05:56 PM)
Hey everyone--had a dermatologist try to sell me on this laser for my mild to moderate ice picks and rolling scars. He says this is the third-generation introduced to the public after all the years of bad press with the first and second generation lasers that did more damage to people's skin than good. He says healing is quicker, I asked for pictures of people with acne scars ---he only had ones of wrinkles and of course those looked really good. He said he knows I am skeptical and he says all other out there that are less ablative like smoothbeam, N-Lite, fraxel...etc are not going to be as effective and are going to cost you the same amount of money due to several treatments needed to see results. AHH---He says 5 thouasnd dollars for a full face treatment will result in about 40 to 50 percent improvement..he didn't like doing spot treatments ---ahhh!  eusa_wall.gif I have about 15-20 pits and rolling scars--and something makes me want to just try TCA cross on some of them before forking out soo much money for 40 to 50 percent improvement! I told the doc about TCA cross, he didn't have much to say....What do you all think? Anyone had treatment with this laser before recently? What's more important to me is ...does anyone know of a doc in Minnesota that does TCA Cross! I have been reading this board for the last 3 years, and that is the ONLY thing --besides needling that has any real results for you all. Thanks everyone...
god speed to all of us
Melissa in Central Minnesota

View Post

What's with doctor's and their fricken' laser beams??? I am having the same problem you are in finding a place in my town that'll knows even what TCA cross is, much less knowing how to do it. But there seems to be a lot of docs playing w/ lasers around here.

I don't have a lot of experience w/ treatments, I've only had 4 things of smoothbeam and it wasn't worth it at all. And I don't know what you've tried. But from what I've gathered on thie board, it might be a good idea to start off w/ treatments that are not so extreme, and them move upward from there. TCA cross looks like an option and it's relatively inexpensive. You might have to travel to get something that would work best for you.

One thing you might want to consider for your pits is "punch floats" followed by a resurfacing like dermabrasion. This is what I want to do w/ mine and am currently trying to find out docs who will do it and do it well. Yeah, I'd have to travel b/c everyone around here thinks that their in Star Wars w/ their light sabers/lasers. wink.gif

#3 Melissa

Melissa

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 May 2005 - 06:22 PM

lol.gif Are you in Minnesota too? I have had 4 smoothbeams--and no results either. Yes I agree---too many lasers not enough common sense --he he
and yes I agree one should start with less extreme procedures and work your way up. Next tuesday I have an appointment with a doc who thinks I should have the micro laser peel--it's with the Sciton laser--less abalative ----2-3 days of bad sunburn look, I want to try it although I have a feeling it will be 400 dollars down the toilet-- I will keep you posted eusa_wall.gif

#4 Lexy

Lexy

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 May 2005 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE(Melissa @ May 6 2005, 06:22 PM)
lol.gif Are you in Minnesota too? I have had 4 smoothbeams--and no results either. Yes I agree---too many lasers not enough common sense --he he
and yes I agree one should start with less extreme procedures and work your way up. Next tuesday I have an appointment with a doc who thinks I should have the micro laser peel--it's with the Sciton laser--less abalative ----2-3 days of bad sunburn look, I want to try it although I have a feeling it will be 400 dollars down the toilet-- I will keep you posted  eusa_wall.gif

View Post

No, not in Minnesota unfortunately, I do hear it's quite lovely up there. Much better than here!

I was thinking of trying TCA cross myself, but am going to wait til after my skin heals. I hope your micro laser peel goes well. Please let us know how it goes and good luck. eusa_angel.gif

#5 AmoALaura

AmoALaura

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 May 2005 - 06:39 PM

I have been offered Derma K, too, is not really new, maybe 5 years old, i have posted in this forum about it but no one answered, it is better than CO2 laser because the skin gets less burn damage and heals faster, in my city a whole face resurfacing done with Derma K costs 3000 Euros

#6 Melissa

Melissa

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 May 2005 - 06:45 PM

Ok sooo... could someone who had this done come forward and tell us your experience?? THanks

#7 klaara

klaara

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:21 PM

I had it done in Paris 3 monts ago ("only" 700 euros for forehead and both cheeks and the sides of the face). I didn't really have typical acne scars - I had a few acne scars (I don't know the type, but they looked as if the top layer of skin was missing, they were more red than the rest of the skin, one of them was quite deep, others shallower), and two scars from excision one and three years ago. Although the scars were quite little and were placrs separately, she treated the whole areas.

my results:
The shallower acne scars are completely gone, and as my doctor said that the skin regeneration will last up to a year, I am hoping to get rid of the deeper one, too (at the moment it's like 80% improved).
One excision scar (on my forehead) is looking a lot better.
And as for the other excision scar, my doctor says that it was really deep (maybe she went "really deep" with the laser?)..let's just say that it's still healing. At first it looked horrible, partly raised, partly indented, I had to wear silicone sheets on it 24/7 for three weeks; now it looks quite good, I think it's because of the Supercop cream I've been using.

So, after three months, for me, the Derma-K laser was "good", I will see what the results will be after 6 months and one year. But I cannot really say how it would work on box scars on icepicks..sorry.

I had bandages on my face for 2 days and I had to apply vaseline every two hours for the 6 days after that the bandages had been removed.
My face was really red for one month, now it's almost OK for that, only when I wash my face or something like that, it gets red and stays for some time.
Oh, and I forgot, I get free treatments with a non-ablative (n-lite?) laser every month from my doctor, she says it helps with the redness and also collagen regrowth.

Another thing, if you're allergic, be careful when taking Zovirax! (I had to take Zovirax for five days after the treatment for protection against a possible herpes attack - although, i've never had herpes in my life.) I developped a worst allergic reaction to it - starting from the third day, my eyes were completely swollen, and I got these big cysts on my body, that left big scars...fortunately, I didn't get them on my face.

I hope this helped you a little, if you have any questions, please ask smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users