Photo

Diet doesn't matter when...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 valwen

valwen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2005 - 03:32 PM

I dont get enough sleep! Last week was hell studying for midterms. Just one week of being sleep deprived makes my skin look horrible! I didnt have time to stop and notice the condition of my skin until today...I saw myself in the bathroom (fluorescent light) and I freaked! Since I haven't changed my diet, I think sleep has more effect on skin than diet....

#2 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2005 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE(valwen @ Apr 27 2005, 02:32 PM)
I dont get enough sleep!  Last week was hell studying for midterms.  Just one week of being sleep deprived makes my skin look horrible!  I didnt have time to stop and notice the condition of my skin until today...I saw myself in the bathroom (fluorescent light) and I freaked!  Since I haven't changed my diet, I think sleep has more effect on skin than diet....

View Post

LOL, you are right in a sense. Getting enough sleep is important in helping to reduce insulin resistance induced acne, as well as allowing your body to naturally detoxify, heal, and rest. I went several days with very little sleep and my skin was dehydrated! My face didn't have that glow and my hands were dry. So there's definately something to be said for getting sleep.

#3 vaporjourney

vaporjourney

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:54 PM

what would you guys consider too little sleep? I've been getting 5 hrs of sleep mon thru fri for the most part, and I had a nagging idea that this may be a potential cause for my face actually getting worse when i've been eating on such a restrictive diet. I know there are so many factors, but I need to take the sleep one more seriously. It's just so hard to go to sleep early enough so that I can get enough hours and wake up at 4:45 am....

#4 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE(vaporjourney @ Apr 27 2005, 03:54 PM)
what would you guys consider too little sleep?  I've been getting 5 hrs of sleep mon thru fri for the most part, and I had a nagging idea that this may be a potential cause for my face actually getting worse when i've been eating on such a restrictive diet.  I know there are so many factors, but I need to take the sleep one more seriously.  It's just so hard to go to sleep early enough so that I can get enough hours and wake up at 4:45 am....

View Post

This is why news anchors go to bed at 8 or 9 pm ;-) Less than 7 hours sleep is not good for the body. Of course I've read that teenagers need 9 - 10 hours. Personally my body prefers 7 - 8 hrs min. If I get less than this, I pay for it later. I dont' know if it contributes to breakouts, but it does mess with my mood, ability to think, energy, and eventually messes with how healthy my skin tone looks.

#5 dumbmrblah

dumbmrblah

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:13 PM

I now try to always get 8 hours a day and my skin seems better for it. Whether this is causal or just correlative, I don't know. Additionally, I've heard that keeping a regular sleeping schedule, ie sleeping at night, is good for your skin and sleeping during the day isn't as rejuvenating.

j

#6 bettyboop81481

bettyboop81481

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 April 2005 - 08:49 AM

when i used to sleep 10-12 hours a day my skin looked awesome! that was a long time ago, though.

#7 yetanother

yetanother

uniformly convergent

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 April 2005 - 02:09 PM

I have definitely noticed the sleep/skin condition correlation too. I think 6 is the minimum most people need to be functional. But from my experience 7.5 hours is what my skin needs. Well... I say 7.5 instead of 7 or 8 because it's a multiple of 45 minutes, the average time of a sleep cycle takes, so it's easier to wake up at that point.

Sleeping during the day, if you mean napping, probably isn't as good because the body doesn't get enough of the deep stage 4 sleep it needs to produce growth hormone for growth and repair. But that's just my conjecture.

#8 valwen

valwen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:20 PM

I take more naps when I'm stressed, so you have a good point!

I usually get 5-7 hours of sleep during weekdays and 8-10 on weekends. But its hard, like most of you have said, to get enough sleep when there are so many other things to do.

I didnt know there is a correlation between sleep and insulin resistance. How does that work Sweetjade?