Photo

Overweight/Acne Connection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Whatsup

Whatsup

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:25 AM

I'm starting to think acne is a problem caused by overeating. A lot of us know that the majority of people here that have acne are thin. So there has to be some kind of connection between acne and being overweight. Im thin, but if i look at the way i eat i should be overweight. So maybe my penalty for overeating is acne, instead of it being obesity. Maybe this is why fasting works so well at getting rid of acne. They say obesity is an epidemic now. Well don't you think that if you eat just like someone thats overweight you will also see ill affects. It's more obvious for the overweight person to see that they are eating too much, but for us it isn't as obvious. A lot of the hormones produced in our body have so much to do with what you eat and how much of it. So overeating does cause an increase in hormones in the body. Is overeating the biggest factor in increasing the amount of hormones in the body? Give me your opinions.

Here is something i found at :
http://www.healthyfu...weight_loss.php

"Timing of Eating - Natural Body Cycle:

You should eat in compliance with the body's metabolic cycles. The body seems to have three different metabolic periods which cycle every 24 hours. Eating in compliance with these cycles will afford more efficient digestion, assimilation, cleansing and maintenance of the cells.

Elimination and maintenance cycle: From 4 am to noon, the cells of the body are dumping waste products, and manufacturing and/or repairing cells.

Digestive cycle: From Noon to 8 pm, the body's metabolism is geared to digestion.

Assimilation cycle: From 8 pm to 4 am, the body is sending nutrients to cells.

Since digestion of foods demands a tremendous amount of energy, it would make sense to eat the biggest meal our body can digest between noon and 8pm. The earlier within this timeframe, the better. "

ok take care for now smile.gif

#2 clayjar

clayjar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:37 AM

I doubt there is a connection. Personally I have dramatically dropped my caloric intake before and not seen any difference. There are many other people on this website who practically eat like birds to try and control their acne but they still are fighting it. And even if your theory was true, so many of us are skinny that we would waste away into skeletons if we kept dropping our caloric intake.

As a male, I like to lift weights to gain muscle mass as well as others on the boards. This would be a futile effort unless we could eat properly to feed our muscles. The point is, I tried fasting, clean healthy eating, low calorie, low fat diets and none of them made any difference whatsoever with my acne. They did however make me look sick from being so thin. This may be good for females, but not red-blooded males. I decided that I would eat instinctively so as not to be a skeleton. Since then I have put on some weight so as not to look ill, and low and behold, my skin did not get worse.

Food may affect hormones to some point but I don't think its that much. Then again, everyone is different. My own understanding is that whatever amount of hormones we have is generally less important (with acne) than the fact that the hormone receptors in the skin are overly sensitive. Steroid-taking bodybuilders/athletes are an exception though in that they flood their bodies with excessive amounts of testosterone which can cause acne by overpowering the skin receptors. This can cause acne in someone who is not normally prone to it and their acne goes away after ceasing the steroids. But for the majority of normal people who are not manipulating their hormones that excessively, it's pretty much about the receptors being overly excited easily (with normal levels of hormones) and causing excessive oil production/clogging of pores, etc. It is the curse of the hyperexcitability of our skin's hormone receptors. And there are some people whose bodies do make excessive amounts of hormones, but this is not the case for most of us. Of course everybody's level of excitability is different according to their genes. This is why some have mild, some moderate, some severe. Also, I assume you realize I'm not talking about people who develop acne through allergies from soaps or fabric softner or whatever.

Taking anti-androgen medication may work temporarily by giving the skin receptors alot less hormone to excite them, but this then messes with your bodies natural hormone production causing other problems, especially long-term. Sure, you can keep the skin receptors from being overexcited by drying up your hormones, but do you really think your body is going to work ideally by dramatically lowering them? Their will be problems down the road. You really don't want to manipulate your body's hormones unless there is something abnormal about them which would need to be diagnosed by an endocrinologist. By doing this, think of yourself as the opposite extreme of the steroid-pumping athlete.

Like I said before, I don't think the answer to all this is dramatically altering your hormones. Diet will only fluctuate hormones minimally, for most of us. I think that researchers need to develop medication to target not our hormones, but our hormone skin receptors. Accutane is close, but not safe enough to stay on long-term. So until they develop something better, we must wait and suffer, or continue on the fight we all personally have here and see what helps control it in the meantime.

#3 americancrewmc

americancrewmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:36 AM

I am 5'11 and weight 142 lbs. I eat like a starving model. A bowl of greens and reds and the occasional orange and an egg.

Edited because MAMA told me so.

#4 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE(americancrewmc @ Apr 27 2005, 11:36 AM)
You are crazy. I am 5'11 and weight 142 lbs. I eat like a starving model. A bowl of greens and reds and the occasional orange and an egg.

View Post

I think anytime someone comes on this board with a hypothesis they deserve more than a "you are crazy".

I thought it was a most interesting post and have often thought along the same lines. I look forward to having a minute in a little while to really read it all.

#5 Whatsup

Whatsup

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2005 - 11:55 AM

Isn't it true that a lot of times no matter how much a thin person eats or how less they will still be thin?

[QUOTE]I am 5'11 and weight 142 lbs. I eat like a starving model. A bowl of greens and reds and the occasional orange and an egg.[QUOTE]

If you eat more will you gain weight??? Most likely not
Or is the real problem your undernourished? Probably

So its really about what you eat and when. I personally am 5'9 and 150 pounds. I feel if i ate less i would do so while watching my weight. Obviously if your already thin and your losing weight by eating less there is a problem. Make sure you maintain your weight of course. I think its also important to eat lighter meals in the morning and night, while eating the biggest meal in the afternoon. Nobody likes the idea of eating less. Not even people that are obese that know there eating too much. I don't know i guess its worth a try.

Oh yea thanks minny mouse for sticking up for me lol eusa_angel.gif bye

#6 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 32
About Me

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:11 PM

My personal opinoin, well what makes fat???

fatty acids, glycerides that if forming the wrong types of fat and, in the wrong quantites, can lead to problems

(The wrong carbohydrates/sugar can also increase these as well as too many calories. However high calorie diets generally are composed of the "unfavorable" foods anyway where as low - moderate calorie diets tend to be more so composed of the "favorable" foods. Of course you can always eat more of the healthier foods if you need more calories, but remember that any type of fat carries more than double the calories for protein or carbohydrates)

OK, so what produces Hyperproliferation (cell overgrowth), Hyperkeritinization (skin cell thickening), Hypodesquamation (poor skin cell shedding), Inflammatory Products, Steriod Hormones, and Sebum? Well, somewhere along the line cholesterol, or some other fat, will play a role.

Cholesterol is what our Steriod Hormones (Cortisol, Progesterone, Testesterone, Estrogen) are made from. Without cholesterol, you won't make these hormones.

If you don't make these hormones, you won't have acne, or at least not most types of acne as they rely on these hormones (you will probably also have poor brain functioning and dry skin among other problems).

What do twins with acne have in common? They lack Apolipoprotein A1, which is a component of HDL or "Healthy" Cholesterol. Thus this usually means they produce too much LDL "Unhealthy" Cholesterol (in respect to the amount of HDL) that is responsible for heart disease as well as...increasing inflammatory products in the body along with Hyperproliferation, Hyperkertinization, and so forth down metabolic pathway that leads to acne.

Well, I've heard, haven't done the research, that acne sufferers in general have too much cholesterol. Well my cholesterol has always been "normal" However I haven't gone back to check and see if perhaps I had a high-normal ratio of LDL/HDL or if I have a low-normal level of HDL or a High-normal level of LDL. What do I mean by High-normal or Low-normal? Well there's referances ranges when you get your blood tested for various things. You can fall right in the middle or you can lean to the left (low end) or right (high end), which means your body could still be responding unfavorably even though you are considered "normal".

So in otherwords, our bodies are probably using this excess fat, cholesterol, etc to produce these acne causing hormones and inflammatory products, where as other people's bodies are using it to become overweight.

I think that this IS where the genetic aspect comes into play here. OK because we can eat the same "bad" foods in high or low quantities and different groups of us will be affected in a different manner. A percentage of us are thin or underweight with acne, others ore overweight but clear, where as someone else ends with cancer. However there are some people that get ALL the negatives. They get the acne, the obesity, type II diabetes, hirsutism, asthma, cancer, etc etc etc. So in that respect, some of us could possibly be a bit more grateful about things. It could ALWAYS be worse....and that does depend on your genes and how they interact with other environmental variables.

Personally this is why I'm kinda sorta grateful that I have acne because it clued me in, in a BIG, but superficial, emotionally, financially draining way, LOL, that there was something wrong going on. Of course, I also had other physical symptoms, but now that I know what health problems run on both sides of my family and how they relate to me having acne, I have an opportunity to do something to prevent those health problems from happening to me.

Anyway that's my take. Gotta run biggrin.gif

#7 ξ®ٱ©

ξ®ٱ©

Doesn't listen to emotions, listens to logic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:28 PM

I think obesity and acne are related due to the food choice of obese people. People who are obese are often not health conscientious about what they eat (forgive me if you are). The majority of obese people I know include a lot of cheese, white bread, red meats, and sugars in their diet. I'm guessing these people are already prone to acne and their diet makes them worse off with acne.

That is an interesing theory however, I'll have to think about that one.

#8 Whatsup

Whatsup

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:53 PM

So in otherwords, our bodies are probably using this excess fat, cholesterol, etc to produce these acne causing hormones and inflammatory products, where as other people's bodies are using it to become overweight.

That's basically what im saying.

We all have this addiction to food to some degree that is causing these problems in the first place. The food industry is using something that we need to survive like food against us, just like nearly everything else that has monetary incentives. The reason this addiction is stronger than any other addiction is because you need food to survive.

An overweight person does not necessarily eat more than a thin person. With that said it turns out we all end up eating too much and all this excess is causing problems.

#9 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2005 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE(Whatsup @ Apr 27 2005, 12:53 PM)
That's basically what im saying. 
We all have this addiction to food to some degree that is causing these problems in the first place.  The food industry is using something that we need to survive like food  against us, just like nearly everything else that has monetary incentives.  The reason this addiction is stronger than any other addiction  is because you need food to survive. 

An overweight person does not necessarily eat more than a thin person.  With that said it turns out we all end up eating too much and all this excess is causing  problems.

View Post

Not quite. It doesn't have to be too much food. It can be too much of the wrong or unfavorable foods vs. the healthy or more favorable foods. Or it could be due to eating any of the wrong foods for your particular body or metabolic type (nutrigenomics) that can cause this problem, not to mention a severe lack of physcial activity. Otherwise, yeah I agree with ya. The food industry is nothing but a bunch of big bullies but we'll find a way to beat them, after all in the end they exist because we MAKE it so ;-)

#10 Whatsup

Whatsup

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:07 PM

Not quite. It doesn't have to be too much food. It can be too much of the wrong or unfavorable foods vs. the healthy or more favorable foods. Or it could be due to eating any of the wrong foods for your particular body or metabolic type (nutrigenomics) that can cause this problem, not to mention a severe lack of physcial activity. Otherwise, yeah I agree with ya. The food industry is nothing but a bunch of big bullies but we'll find a way to beat them, after all in the end they exist because we MAKE it so ;-)

Well it doesn't have to be eating too much food thats causing your acne, but it very well could be and probably is one crucial part. When i say overeating is a cause of acne i don't mean it is the only thing that could be to blame. Nourishing your cells at the cellular level is what your really looking for here, but even then you shouldn't go against your natural ability to understand when your truely hungry. Knowing when to eat, what to eat, and how much to eat are all important to know. We all know that even eating too much good foods could be bad as well.