#1 Darklord

Darklord

Chances are, i hate you

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2005 - 03:44 AM

Hi,
I have seen many ppl raving about how good sprouted grain breads are, anyway it seems that many have sprouted wheat in them, yet i thought that wheat has gluten?
What is the difference between sprouted wheat and wheat that hasnt been sprouted that is found in most breads?

Any help would be great,
Tom

#2 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:08 AM

Hi Tom,
once wheat has been sprouted, its gluten content disappears. I'm not sure of the science behind this, but I've read in "You are what you eat" that this is the case (you've got that book, haven't you? It's on the page after the ones detailing types of grains smile.gif )

I'm sure someone like Sweet jade can enlighten you on the science behind it!
biggrin.gif

#3 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE(Rossignol @ Apr 27 2005, 03:08 AM)
Hi Tom,
once wheat has been sprouted, its gluten content disappears. I'm not sure of the science behind this, but I've read in "You are what you eat" that this is the case (you've got that book, haven't you? It's on the page after the ones detailing types of grains  smile.gif )

biggrin.gif

View Post

I don't think that's true as a lot of celiac disease people still have problems with it.

#4 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE(SteveLewis @ Apr 27 2005, 12:41 PM)
I don't think that's true as a lot of celiac disease people still have problems with it.

View Post

Yes, I'm not sure if the gluten disappears, but the wheat becomes much easier to digest in the sprouted state. I have found that I can eat the sprouted bread without breaking out. I still limit it to no more than 2 slices/day.

#5 Snipe12

Snipe12

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 April 2005 - 02:46 AM

Hi Tom,
once wheat has been sprouted, its gluten content disappears. I'm not sure of the science behind this, but I've read in "You are what you eat" that this is the case (you've got that book, haven't you? It's on the page after the ones detailing types of grains  )

From what I understand, that is true. The issue from what I have read for people like myself who have problems with gluten is that if the grains are not fully sprouted they still have gluten. It is of course impossible to make sure all of the grains are sprouted to a level where the gluten is no longer a problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users