Photo

Fasting and Exercize

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2005 - 10:04 PM

Has anyone successfully exercized while fasting? I'm on day 1 of my fast and my body is so tired. I need CALORIES.

I run like 4 miles a day and lift weights 4-5 times a week.

Is a 5 day fast even attainable when youre burning so many calories???

#2 dumbmrblah

dumbmrblah

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2005 - 10:17 PM

I don't know what kind of split you're on, but chances are you shouldn't be lifting 4-5 times a week anyway. You DEFINITELY shouldn't be lifting at all if you aren't eating. If there's a better way to get overtrained I don't know what it is. Running isn't the best idea, but if your goal is incredibly rapid weight loss then you can go for it at your own risk. Otherwise, don't do it.

Your body can survive while fasting, but subjecting it to additional stress during that time is a really bad idea. You will definitely tax your nervous system and depending on the intensity of your workouts have a very good chance of becoming overtrained.

Since you didn't know that I feel compelled to add some more info. Obviously you should never train a body part if it's still sore, but just because a body part is no longer sore doesn't mean it has recovered. The more often you train the less intense the doms are, but this doesn't mean your body is recovering any faster. Additionally you should never train when you're sick, take a break and give your body time to recover. In general don't train if you aren't close to 100%, and fasting definitely puts you in that category.

j

#3 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2005 - 11:03 PM

Thanks for the advice. It's not HEAVY (bodybuilding reps/intensity) 4-5 times a day. I do 4 exercises, 4 sets of 8 on each.

I will find out a better time to fast and do that when I have total rest from any physical, mental, or emotional activities. That time is defintely not now. I had planned on a water detox fast, but I should go on vacation and do that, with total body rest.

My life is pretty hectic so maybe a fast isn't what I need right now, even if the long term effects could be positive.. im jeopardizing my shortterm health.

#4 Guest_Amy Lee_*

Guest_Amy Lee_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 25 April 2005 - 11:14 PM

For me, I don't think I can handle it. I need energy when exercising so fasting is not advisable, or I'll pass out.

#5 americancrewmc

americancrewmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2005 - 12:33 AM

QUOTE(Amy Lee @ Apr 26 2005, 12:14 AM)
For me, I don't think I can handle it. I need energy when exercising so fasting is not advisable, or I'll pass out.

View Post

side note* when is evanescence going to release another album? are they in the studio?

#6 Noxious Infestation

Noxious Infestation

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2005 - 05:42 AM

Fasting is a great thing . I fast once a month for either a day or up to three and go to the gym.

Iv read that its extremely good to do this as the increased pressure you put your body through helps it to clear out and regenerate.
You will be absolutely wrecked but i find after the fast feel great!

#7 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2005 - 08:39 AM

I think it depends on the person. I don't think I'd be running 4 miles. I do yoga and walk when I fast, but a friend of mine still goes skiing and kayaking when he fasts. Just listen to your body.
My regimen:

Eat regularly: a wide variety of vegetables, eggs, meat/fish, cheese, yogurt, butter, fruit, nuts/seeds.

Occasionally eat: beans, squash, potatoes.

Don't eat: sugar, grains, most processed food.

#8 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2005 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE(cjb @ Apr 26 2005, 07:39 AM)
I think it depends on the person.  I don't think I'd be running 4 miles.  I do yoga and walk when I fast, but a friend of mine still goes skiing and kayaking when he fasts.  Just listen to your body.

View Post

Defintely... and mine was saying EAT SOMETHING RIGHT NOW!.

School is almost out, so I wil build up my fasting levels as the summer progresses (2 days for the first week, take two weeks off from fasting, 4 day fast for the next week, take a month off, 7 day fast the week after that etc....)

I will defintely think about yoga, basic stretching and just walking when I fast.

#9 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2005 - 11:49 AM

Are you a skinny guy or can afford to lose a lot of weight? You do realize that a 7 day water fast will drop you 5lbs(Muscle if you don't have the fat to begin with), and that's if you just sit around. If you walk, exercise, heck even carry things or cook, you are using even more energy and you'll have lost a lot more weight.

You'll also start to think slower over the days as your brain isn't getting it's necessary glucose. Also, that euphoric feeling you get isn't because you are cleansing the toxins or increasing your chi(You may very well be releasing toxins but that isn't what gives you that feeling). It's that the fast is controlled starvation and your body is bracing itself to keep your vital functions alive. Hormones are being released into your blood you so get a happy feeling and also a boost in energy.

I'm not saying certain fasts aren't good. I think their usefulness is limited, but most people that go on fasts don't understand what really is happening to their body and just state that they get this release of energy or amazing feeling because of the release of toxins or cleansing or whatever.

Also, what is the point of weightlifting when fasting? You'll just lose muscle mass as the muscles tear and have nothign to rebuild them with.

#10 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:34 PM

The whole exercising regimen I do is what I normally do every week. I run 3-4 times a week, 3-4 miles, and I lift 4-5 times a week (rather lightly (only 30 minutes each day)).

I was just wondering if people have done a normal exercize regimen while fasting? I know what the body does while fasting, but I'd hate to get off my rountine just to fast.

Good point about losing "muscle" while fasting, but i honestly feel you won't lose 5 lbs. of muscle on a 7 day fast. That seems unrealistic. I'm more so lifting for the strength, so I don't care so much about the cutness in my arms. The main reason I would lift while fasting is to stay in shape... yess the muscles may just tear and not tdo anything, but you still burn calories and can possibly speeden up the process of what the body is trying to fix while on that fast.

I can manage to lose about 5-10 "fat" pounds if I were to fast, so a small monthly fast is probably best for me...

I've only done 2 3 day fasts before in the past year. Maybe I'm jumping ahead at a 7 day fast. For now, I'll stick with weekend fasts once a month and see how that goes.

Thanks

#11 babowc

babowc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:23 PM

fasting and exercising..
doesnt sound too good >_<; as you know.. once your body starts to eat up the fats and is done with it, it'll go straight to your muscles.

also if you're exercising and fasting, there is no improvement in your daily exercises.. your muscles need energy/protein/w.e to build and after you "tear" muscles during your workout sessions, it needs protein to build more. if there isnt any protein or fats in your system(body) it'll go straight to your muscles,
therefore resulting in negative exercise
<well looks like ^ was said above.. anyways>

its my opinion.. but fasting for 7days will probably decrease the speed of your metabolism... which is again not good for results when you exercise

#12 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:31 PM

negative exercise is defintely not what I want. I could stand to rest 7 days if I were to fast for that long.

Even doing normal daily activities requires a bit of energy so ill need to find a 7 day stretch to do absolutely nothing