Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

non-wheat breads

14 posts in this topic

what kind of breads does everyone here eat, if any? i've been eating spelt bread on and off for a couple of years. what else is available in health food stores or wherever? i've heard that grains like quinoa and amaranth are good alternatives, but are these available as breads?

what kind of breads does everyone here eat, if any? i've been eating spelt bread on and off for a couple of years. what else is available in health food stores or wherever? i've heard that grains like quinoa and amaranth are good alternatives, but are these available as breads?

"Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place."

Mark Twain

Hey,

I personally have never tried amaranth or quinoa breads however you can get breads made of the following ingredients:

Seed Flours - Hemp, Flax, etc

Nut Flours - Almond, Pecan, etc

Bean & Lentil Flours

Gluten-Free Grain Flours - Millet, Buckwheat, Rice, Corn, Teff (Oats if not contaminated)

Grain-like Flours - Amaranth & Quinoa

Potato Flour/Starch

Rice Flour/Starch

Corn Flour/Starch/Meal

Arrowroot Flour

Tapioca Flour (what is this anyway?)

Of the Gluten Free Varieties, I've found that the best tasting ones are those that you make yourself or from are mix are best as they are fresh & hot. Depending on the type of flour used, when reheating the breads you'll have to add a few drops of water to bring back that moist softness (rice flours). If you don't care about Dairy and/or Trans Fats the two companies I would recommend are:

http://www.kinnikinnick.com (they do have some dairy free versions)

http://www.charlottesbakery.com/ (they have trans fat free breads)

Otherwise here's a list on page 1 of this thread (needs updating) with Brands, Resturants, & Bakeries some local & others that can deliver: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...opic=30135&st=0

Hope that helps

P.S. Spelt & Kamut are low gluten breads for those that were hoping to go 100% Gluten Free, these would not be acceptable (unless maybe sprouted).

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

* Strengthen/Repair GI - Immune health

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

what exactly are contaminated OATS ? 

how do you know if yours haven't been contaiminated?

99.5% Clear (skin gets 'congested' PMS week, but no actual breakouts)

---------------------------

Fragrance-Free Baby Wipes + a few drops Rimmel Makeup Remover solution

3/4 AHA Toner* & 1/4 Glycerin (cotton pad) -- good toner, moisturizer, and makeup base (use less glycerin if not under makeup)

Occasional Treatments (2-3x/week): Exfoliating bp wash* in shower, 2.5% bp lotion* at night

CoverGirl TruBlend Powder Foundation

* = Klear Action Kit (Pro-Activ knockoff)

Gluten-free diet (for non-acne reasons, but it seems to have cleared my acne)

what is it about wheat that makes it so bad for us?

To have a peak, a valley is needed. To feel happiness, unhappiness is needed. To know the divine, the world is needed.

whole wheat is certainly better than regular white bread... but many people --including me -- are sensitive to wheat and are better off avoiding it altogether.

I see. Well yeah any bread is better than white bread, the GI content is no good in white bread, or white flower period.

as well, a lot of people state here they avoid high gi foods in order to avoid fast rises in blood sugar as well as insulin. however GI is not neccesarily coorelated with II/insulin index, theres a good deal of low GI foods that have high II's

It's not any better in whole-wheat bread.  They BOTH have high GI's.

When it comes to glycemic indexes, people need to get off this "natural" kick.  Whether or not a given food product is natural or refined doesn't necessarily have any impact on its GI.  What matters is the amount of accompanying fat, protein, soluble fiber, etc.  When it comes to GI, whole wheat bread is no better than white bread.

Bryan