This topic is archived.
23 replies to this topic

#1 nat1988

nat1988

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2005 - 03:39 PM

Hi, I've been taking accutane for 3 months now. I've been experiencing all the side effects: very dry skin, very very dry lips, nose bleads, pains in my knees, blurred vision, and a little bit of rectal bleeding mentioned similar to the case mentioned in another post. I've been working out intensly for a year for my football season. My coaches and everyone I train with recommend a performance-enhancing supplement called creatine. Normally it's pretty safe but I wondered if it could have any negative effects with accutane. Thanks for the help.

#2 Guest_Craigems_*

Guest_Craigems_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:02 PM

nup it doesnt, i'm on protein, but besides that from what i hear creatine is safe, as long as you do it in 3 month cycles. Just be warned however it can cause "bad acne" with some people.

#3 Nutopia

Nutopia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE(Craigems @ Apr 17 2005, 10:02 PM)
nup it doesnt, i'm on protein, but besides that from what i hear creatine is safe, as long as you do it in 3 month cycles. Just be warned however it can cause "bad acne" with some people.

View Post

wtf is bad acne?

#4 Guest_Craigems_*

Guest_Craigems_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:50 PM

worse than what you had b4 taking it.

#5 acne_suks

acne_suks

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE(Craigems @ Apr 17 2005, 03:02 PM)

View Post

sorry craig, but that is bullshit. there has been no emperical evidence to show creatine affects your acne. I think people's acne may get worse because they're working out harder/longer = sweating more. Just make sure you wash your face after the workout and you'll be cool.

p.s. creatine+accutane = harsh on your liver. drink your water/

#6 Antony

Antony

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:57 PM

Creatine in and of itself does NOT cause acne which is why empirical studies as mentioned will not demonstrate any conclusive causal link, but taking creatine the way you should, either alongside a sugary drink like grapefruit like in the early days of creatine, or pre-mixed in a packaged product with sugar like everyone does today, DOES cause acne in those who are acne-prone. It has this effect because the sugar, which I stress is not part of the creatine but mixed in for the absorption benefits of the resulting insulin spike, not only raises blood glucose levels triggering the pancreas to flood the blood with insulin, but this also raises sebum-producing androgen levels in turn as well as promoting the inflammatory response associated with acne. Taking creatine products does cause acne in those who are acne-prone, because any good creatine product comes pre-mixed with a simple carb like dextrose to trigger an insulin spike to minimize wastage and maximise creatine uptake into the muscles. Basically, if a sugary diet breaks you out, and chances are if you have acne then it plays at least a small part if not a big one, then taking sugar-laden creatine products will. The only way around it is just to supplement with pure creatine on its own, but then this of course has the downside of resulting in as much as 60% wastage.

#7 Guest_Craigems_*

Guest_Craigems_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:37 AM

Hey i didnt prove it with evidence, but it has been romoured that creatine can help with acne, i remember researching into this a while ago. Because creatine draws water out of the skin, and puts it into the muscles it causes irritation to the skin, Yeh i know accutane does the same but its different, accutane is vitamin A creatine is however like antony said mixed with other shit.

I know people who have gotten bad acne as soon as they went on creatine, and a few people have posted on these boards saying as soon as they went on protein/creatine they broke out. acne_sucks, i personally have not taken creatine but i do take protein, But some people say they they take creatine and break out. I'm thinking of taking it even, but i got alot of protein to get through at the moment, but if you do get a flare up in the loading phase nat, stop no use going on with it.

#8 Antony

Antony

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:00 AM

i think craigems is right and i'll add to it: best thing to do is give a commercial creatine product a go for 2 weeks or so, and it'll almost certainly contain a lot of sugar like all good creatine products do and if you're acne-prone this high amount of sugar all consumed at once will almost certainly break you out (for the reasons described above). If you don't break out, then keep it up; if you DO break out, then go back to your muscle store and get just straight, plain, pure creatine by itself, no sugar mixed in for any insulin spike (look at the label, there should be virtually no sugar on it). Your body won't absorb as much of the creatine but with time and disciplined working out it will still help you get better results than working out with no creatine at all, and at least this way you will NOT break out (if you do it won't be because of the creatine). You can also ask the dude in the store what products he has that are best for bulking up without breaking out-- almost all guys who work out a lot and especially those who grew up working out a lot have had to go through acne at least at some point, so you'd be surprised how understanding and helpful the guy at the counter will probably be.

#9 evan3037

evan3037

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:06 AM

im on accutane and used creatine while ive been on it and expericence no side effects

#10 acne_suks

acne_suks

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:45 AM

Whao.

I've been exposed to creatine for years now. Sure, the sugars you get from gatorade/grape juice may break you out, but that's not creatine. This is like saying if you're using Dan's regimen and the since water you rinse with has mercury, you're going to break out. And most creatine supplements that come with dextrose mixed are much more expensive (cell-tech).

What I recommend:
Prolab creatine monohydrate
Glass of 100% grape juice

Creatine, like protein, is naturally in food...like red meats.

#11 aquaman

aquaman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 April 2005 - 07:34 PM

people still waste thier money on creatine??

#12 Antony

Antony

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:29 AM

QUOTE(acne_suks @ Apr 19 2005, 08:45 AM)
Whao.

I've been exposed to creatine for years now. Sure, the sugars you get from gatorade/grape juice may break you out, but that's not creatine. This is like saying if you're using Dan's regimen and the since water you rinse with has mercury, you're going to break out. And most creatine supplements that come with dextrose mixed are much more expensive (cell-tech).

What I recommend:
Prolab creatine monohydrate
Glass of 100% grape juice
Creatine, like protein, is naturally in food...like red meats.

View Post

An insulin spike like the kind triggered by the sudden intake of sugar at the level found in most creatine products almost always breaks out an individual who already has acne or is acne-prone. In terms of the cause yes it's not the creatine but in terms of the effect it doesn't matter what's causing it because the effect is the same: consuming almost any commercial creatine product causes this insulin spike, because virtually all good (and not just necessarily more expensive) creatine products contain high sugar to cause this insulin spike. If you're taking straight creatine and THEN taking in high sugar from a separate source (grape juice) to achieve the exact same effect of an insulin spike, you're just as likely to break out, unless the grape juice has less sugar than the pre-mixed creatine product. anyway, you can find good creatine products pre-mixed with sugar that would cost you less than buying straight creatine AND buying all those glasses' worth of grape juice to drink everytime you take the creatine. if you're on accutane than you can get away with high sugar and therefore sugar-mixed creatine products but if you're not then anyone would be well-advised to just take straight creatine and avoid sugar in general.

QUOTE(aquaman @ Apr 20 2005, 01:34 AM)

View Post

what, are you kidding? creatine is amazing.

#13 acne_suks

acne_suks

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 20 April 2005 - 08:55 PM

Personally I don't think a few grams of sugar along with creatine, which makes it much more effective, is going to have a significant impact on your acne. If you're prone to breakouts from small sugar intake, you have other things to worry about than sugar and creatine. And these pre-mixed creatine/sugar products are worthless. You're getting less creatine than you paid for,because there's other crap in there. Eg: CellTech. Go on the bodybuilding.com forums and tell them you want to order this stuff, and they'll laugh at you.

Like I suggested before:
ProLab's Creatine
Grape Juice

(paying extra for grape juice? last time i checked it isn't jewelry)

QUOTE(aquaman @ Apr 19 2005, 06:34 PM)

View Post

I agree with Anthony here. Sure, some people may be non-responders to creatine; however, it's still a great product.

#14 Guest_Craigems_*

Guest_Craigems_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 20 April 2005 - 10:59 PM

Personally i think creatine is fantastic, and its all natural, but i aint keen on going on it just yet.

#15 Guest_Craigems_*

Guest_Craigems_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:01 AM

Oh it has to. It replenishes ATP super quick, so you have to recover faster ! unless its not creatine your taking lol.

#16 =kat=

=kat=

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:22 AM

I am currently doing alot od research into creatine (uni work evil.gif) A friend of mine owns a body building gym in oxford and is helping me with my research, alot of people there are understandbly on creatine - there is also a high amount of users there who have had skin problems whilst they have been on creatine. I am not saying that there is any connection and am not in the process of trying to prove it, it is just an observation interestingly though alot of them have been on accutane (body building = appearence in comps) it is believed among the most serious of you 'taners/trainers that the drop in performance after the three month break in creatine can lead to depression or depndancy upon creatine to psyhcologically keep you performance up because of the intial drop and from the effects of accutane.

In relation to the insulin levels it is not always about the the increased 'real' sugar found in fruit mix drinks/sorf drinks etc but also the fructose and natural glucose that appears in foods. I am a type 1 diabetic so watch the amount of glucose and insulin in my body at all times especially while on 'tane. I cannot say have a glass of orabge juice for breakfast as it will increase my sugar levels too fast and cause the need for me to take more insulin (less the better) you will find that an foods with high GI (glycemic index) will have the same effects.

If you would like advice on foods and drinks with low GI etc feel free to pm me of visit a diabetic website (pm if u want addys also)

Good luck all of you, I personally would pick protein shakes etc etc but if u want to try it go ahead but be prepare for a not so dramitic increase in performace if you are on accutane and also be aware of the drop in performance levels when you come off and the psychological effects of this

Kat

#17 Nutopia

Nutopia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:08 AM

I'm on creatine, it's working, but not as much as I want it to.. Probably because I'm on tane... So when I get off tane in June, I can't wait to see the results. I gotta bulk up for college as much as I can.

#18 119wrestler

119wrestler

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2005 - 10:17 AM

ok this is like me 5th month on accutane, and i was on creatine a month ago. Im waiting another week before i take it again because i just cycled it. Well the creatine i use has a combination of dextrose and carbs for the insulin spike that you are talking about, so you do have to buy any gatorade or grape juice or w/e. So far its been good for me, but im kind of scared to take it when im done with accutane, hopefully i dont break out. But if you are stil on accutane, it should be fine, because i didnt break out. If you want to take creatine without the sugar and stuff, look up this stuff called "CEE." Creatine Ethyl Ester. Its nasty as hell, but you dont have to take it with anything, just mix it with water or w/e.

Highpowers CEE

by the way, i gained 8 lbs from creatine in a month, thats including the water retention, but once it went away, i had like 5 pounds left.

#19 thegeckoj

thegeckoj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2005 - 01:22 PM

i have used creatine throughout the accutane process and have notices NO side effects. creatine may actually improve acne slightly because i know it helps by combatting muscle inflamation, so it may help with other inflamation, ie acne. not sure, just a thought.

#20 =kat=

=kat=

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2005 - 01:29 PM

no it causes the muscles to retain water therefore protecting then and giving a faster recovery time it is not anti inflammatory