Photo

Length of time

candida

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#21 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:48 PM

Hi Vaporjourney,
I think you should eliminate the brown sugar.. your instincts are right. Replace it with brown rice syrup or xylitol or a small amount of grade b maple syrup. Also, you could try getting sprouted wheat bread if the gluten free is too expensive. The sprouted is about $3/loaf, which is a little spendy, but you really can't get any decent wheat bread for less than that.
I would suggest hummus if you want something to dip your raw veggies in. For steamed veggies, you can dress them up with a little olive oil, lemon juice or brown rice vinegar and a little sea salt or tamari. If you search my posts, I posted a vegan "cheesy" sauce recipe that you can put on steamed broccoli or other veggies. I have lots of vegan and low/no fat salad dressing, gravy and sauce recipes if you want some. Some might require that you search out some ingredients you might not have... like nutritional yeast. If you can get that, that also makes steamed veggies taste great.

Cilantro-tofu cream:
1 pkg silken firm tofu (Mori-Nu brand.. in the asceptic package)
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1/3 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
3 T lemon juice
1T nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp. salt
Combine all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
Put in a bowl, cover and refridgerate for one hour. Use as you would sour cream, on black beans, veggies, as a dip or salad dressing, whatever.
My regimen:

Eat regularly: a wide variety of vegetables, eggs, meat/fish, cheese, yogurt, butter, fruit, nuts/seeds.

Occasionally eat: beans, squash, potatoes.

Don't eat: sugar, grains, most processed food.

#22 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2005 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE(GoWithTheFlow @ Apr 15 2005, 08:37 PM)
Please don't chastise me.  It feels bad.  I have read tons of posts by SweetJade, Maya, and others here, at the old AbsoluteAcne forums, and at Healthboards.  I know that you guys get sick of people questioning what you say about the diet/acne connection... but that's not what I'm doing.  I believe you when you say that changing your diet has helped you and I'm only trying to make sense of why it hasn't helped me, and whether it can or not.

I am, and was, mentally prepared to make the committment.  I'm not a teenager - I'm an adult, and this is something that I had and have the self-discipline to do properly.  I didn't cheat on the diet except for occasional butter and occasional parmesan cheese (because I read that apparently hard cheeses are ok).  I keep reading that results should start to be seen in a week or two, so I really expected to see at least the beginnings of improvement after 6 weeks, but I didn't - and I cheated so minorly and so rarely that I don't think it should have been an issue.

The restrictive diet that I was talking about (no meat, etc.) was the "freeacnebook" diet that someone referred me to, that seems to basically include cucumbers, raw eggs and avocado.  I can't function on a diet like that.

Thanks for your advice, and I've gotten back on the horse and am trying the diet again.  I will stick it out for longer this time.

View Post

Hey there =)

I see that you are absolutely trying and are willing, but the one thing that people forget is that diet books are a guide. They are not 100% the answer, nor are they going to be 100% the answer for you (unless it's your own book). Therefore, a particular diet may be found to be 80% - 90% effective at clearing you, or it would be IF you weren't possibly STILL consuming something else that was undermining those results. This is when it's time to take a look at that particular diet or your own diet and see if what you are still consuming has posed a problem for other members of this board.

First and for most, eliminating animal/meat products should be your last option, unless it's based on your own personal beliefs. You could mess around and see if your body prefers organic meat, but it's not always neccessary. You could mess around and see if your body would prefer leaner meats (to elimnates some of that saturated fat).

Eggs are meat, but if you are eating them spordically and they break you out, then they are a problem. You may want to test and see if they are a problem for you.

Butter & Hard Cheese are still dairy and dairy can break people out. Therefore, you can not cheat or eat this sporadically, if you hope to find out if this is a problem for you. Again, you may want to eliminate for a few weeks and see what happens.

Almonds - this was the LAST thing I dropped from my diet because I felt that others that have given up other foods, and didn't give up nuts, or at least almonds, that this was a safe as it gets. I was wrong. For me it's a problem and it may or may not be for you, but you won't know until you eliminat them (and possibly it's assoc. fruits: plums, nectarines, apricots, peaches, and cherries).

Legumes - peanuts, soy, beans, peas, pulses can be a problem. I eat green beans and rarely do I eat the other beans. Again, just as with nuts it may or may not be a problem for you. Of course the best way to consume nuts, seeds, & legumes is after you have soaked/sprouted/fermented them so that they are at the optimum nutrition and absorption level and thus less likely to cause problems. I don't do this, others do and perhaps this is why they can tolerate beans and nuts.

Tropical Fruits - Bananas, Plantains, (coconuts), Mangos, Kiwis, Papaya, Pineapple. Are these a problem for you?

Citrus Fruits - Lemons, Limes, Grapefuit, Oranges, Tangerines. Problem?

Added Sugars - Refined or Natural if sugar, or candida, is a problem for you, then you may want to avoid ALL added sugars. You may be able to cheat with this, but you need to know what type of sugar affects you the least.

Before you begin to feel like I've just ripped away anything else you can eat, please know that these are merely suggestions for the 1 or 2 things that you may still have in your diet that affects your skin. Nothing I mentioned above hasn't proven to be problematic for some acne sufferers, as well as people that are naturally allergic or intolerant to these foods. The best way to do this is to be aware of what in your diet is considered one of the top allergens (as anything can be allergenic) and see how much you are consuming it. If it's frequent enough (at least once every 2 weeks), then it should be a suspect on your list and you may want to temporarily eliminate it. To avoid confusion and frustration, if you can only add or drop one allergenic item from your diet during the testing period, it will help you out tremendously.

Avoid/Eliminate Irritants (examples):
Allergenic Foods (due to autoimmune response)
Dairy
Wheat
Corn
Nuts
Tree nuts
Soybean
Banana
Peaches
Berries (blueberry, strawberry, etc)
Eggs
Pork
Fish
Shellfish
Salicylates (this just sucks http://users.bigpond...ian/fi/sal.html )
Chocolate (pure cocoa or the candy bars?)
Cotton Seed Oil

[people can be allergic to anything incl. all fruits, or citrus fruits, etc]

Intolerant Foods (due to lacking a specific enzyme for digestion)
Dairy (lactose, casien, whey)
Grains
Gluten (wheat, barely, rye and...maybe oats)
Legumes/Beans (includes peanuts, soybean)
Night Shades (potato, tomato, peppers, eggplant)

Chemical Sensitivity (some can mimic hormones or raise IGF-1)
Yellow No. 5 (healths sake)
MSG
Caffiene
Sulfites (the stuff on some dried fruits)
Nitrites (preservatives)
Aspartame (just for healths sake)
Splenda/Sucralose (some members reported breakouts)

So what Xheatherleighx was saying is that you should give this a 3 month trial. Avoid all possible suspects, or the most popular ones, and then once improvement is noted see what is still in your diet that may be a problem. Or if your skin clears, see what you would like to add back in your diet in order to determine wether it is safe or not (for you skin).

1. When adding foods back in you should eat that food daily for 1 week and then note whether your acne is present or increases during that week and the next (2 week test).

2. If it's a problem food, you should stop consumption and wait 2 more weeks before testing out a new food item, to ensure that the prior food has cleared your system.

3. Repeat for each food item you wish to consume and keep a food journal to document observations or if it gets a bit confusing. This may help you see if you can tolerate that food on some level before it crosses your breakout threshold or if you must avoid it entirely.

4. During the testing period, one must be deligent in that they add nothing new in their diet during this time period. No eating out at a new resturant, no trying new foods, everything else has to be the same (whether it was previously a good or bad diet) except for the alteration of that one food item. This will give you the most accurate results.

5. Some people are extremely sensitive to a food item, ingredient, or nutrient, in which case you may also have to avoid that ingredient in minute amounts that would be found in processed/packaged or resturant/fast foods or else this could skew results. Usually you should see enough results beforehand from the avoidance of the actual food item, but sometimes it doesn't happen until that item has been eliminated 99% - 100% from your diet.

6. Some people have a major contributer and minor contributors. If you don't see improvements it may be because you have not found your major contributor. Therefore, everything else that you avoid you may later find was either your minor contributor or doesn't have a negative effect on your skin, once you've found your major contributor.

Also see:
http://www.acne.org/...pic=30135&st=20 (page 2 gives a list of links and suggestions for eliminatin diets)

I wish that I could tell you how long it takes to clear up, but I honestly don't know. I know from avoiding the minor contributors that it can take 3 days for some or at least 2 weeks for other types of acne to stop and begin to heal. Yet some of mine can take as long as 4 weeks before they begin to heal! Of course these were only 4% - 5% of my problem, but avoidance of Gluten was 95% of my problem. The thing is with the gluten being my main contributor, is that it could have been for a variety of reasons other than the fact that it was just Gluten, as I'm not gluten intolerant, such as the automatic elimination of some of the dairy, trans fats, and added sugars. However either way, at the time that I went on this diet, my doctor had doubled my dose of avandia (4mg), and I got an ear infection so I was also on antibiotics for about 1 - 1.5 months, plus the 150mg of Spironolactone, which were all in favor of treating acne on variou levels.

Therefore, while I did note a 10% improvement from my current state (in the summer my skin always looked its best but I still broke out), I didn't know what to attribute the change to. So I honestly didn't know until 3 months later that it was my diet that got me 95% clear because that's when I stopped taking the Avandia and the antibiotics and then a year later I dropped the spiro for 6 months and found that it didn't affect my skin either. So, here I am at 99% clear and I know there's still things I'm not doing right, and I'm guessing it may have to do with candida, among a few other possibilities. Yet, I guess what I'm saying is, definately give it 3 months. This is the time it takes for most oral drugs to kick in, so it may indeed require this amount of time for more natural drugs, such as diet, as well.

Best of Luck!
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#23 vaporjourney

vaporjourney

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:34 PM

I'm unsure if tropical fruits, legumes, or citric fruits are problematic for me. I have pretty much eliminated citric fruits from my diet, other than orange juice for breakfast. Starting tonight I'll probably eliminate all nuts from my diet. I suspect that my high intake of almonds has made my acne persistant. I will continue eating my fruits, but will eliminate brown sugar in the morning as well. I could eliminate oatmeal from my diet as well since lots of people complain about oats being a contributor to acne, which would leave me with eggs and fruit to eat for breakfast, and I'm not willing to do that just yet. My face was looking better when I was eating only Oatmeal in the mornings, and recently I think the eggs have made my face worse. I've learned so much from this forum, and will post how things progress. I will say that my change in diet has definitely made my face somewhat clearer, especially during the first week of change. Every weekend since then I've had some bad foods like pizza, drank some alcohol, etc. We'll see how this week goes.

I'm starting to begin to think that a liver cleanse could be even more beneficial than a dietary change. My current line of thought is telling me that if I were to get all stones out of my liver, and eliminate only sugars and dairy from my diet, would lead to 99% clear skin, without having to be overly anal about my diet. In the middle of this upcoming week, I'm going to start drinking P & B shakes to start the parisite cleanse, then hopefully the weekend after next I can do my liver cleanse.

#24 xmarysue

xmarysue

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2005 - 01:51 PM

gowiththeflow, it was not my intent to chastise you, and my sincere apologies if the tone of my post came across as such. i am very glad to learn that you've read extensively and i'm also happy to see that you're willing to give the diet another go!
yay!! eusa_clap.gif
one of the things i'm stating over and over is that it may a long time to figure it all out. i began to get very discouraged too, around 5-7 weeks because i thought i should've been so much further along. but it is sooo worth it to remain as patient and dedicated as possible. i'm still struggling with that last tricky 5%. i've got my 'major contributers' figured out (sugar, wheat, and dairy seem to collectively be 95% of my problem) - but now i want to get a better handle on the 'minor contributors'.
sweetjade, your post and guidance above with steps and timelines for indentifying trigger foods is very helpful - thank you! i'm really hoping nuts aren't problematic for me, because almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts, etc. are packed with so many essential nutrients and easy for me to carry and consume 'on the go'. but i've started elimating them as of yesterday.

may the force be with all of us as we embark/continue on our diet journeys! smile.gif

#25 GoWithTheFlow

GoWithTheFlow

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:45 AM

Thank you all for your PATIENCE and help. I really appreciate it.