Photo

How Long Do You Think It Takes For Zit To Form?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#21 xmarysue

xmarysue

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 April 2005 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE(xheatherleighx @ Apr 18 2005, 04:08 PM)
i just wanted to report back as promised - day 4 after the scrumptious brownie and ice cream and i awoke with a sore, red spot on my chin and a smaller one on my cheek.

View Post

and here we are at day 5 and i have FOUR MORE pimples in addition to the two reported yesterday, plus an area on my jawline notorious for a cyst is inflammed again.
conclusion: on average, 5 days is my reaction time.
( eusa_pray.gif pleeaase don't let there be more on the way!)

#22 Macapuno

Macapuno

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 April 2005 - 07:55 PM

hah, i got you all beat. i've had some that literally appear in hours. In the morning no pain in the area whatsoever.....then when i get home im like
wtf. dude. sob.

#23 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 April 2005 - 10:11 PM

I certainly don't have it down to the days like Sweetjade does! But I have found that I can cheat a little. I NEVER cheat with dairy, sugar or transfats (but then, I never ate that stuff even BEFORE I got acne!)... cheating for me is having a cup of coffee or some alcohol. But if I do it too many days in a row, it shows. If I do it once a week, I'm okay.

#24 LeetLeetLoo

LeetLeetLoo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 April 2005 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE(SweetJade1980 @ Apr 16 2005, 07:54 AM)
(maybe I read through too fast but I cant' find the post you mentioned minnymouse)

As for me I get different types of acne, in different places, and based on the different foods I eat.  However I don't keep a food diary, so some of these I'm not 100% certain about.

TIME FRAME
Cystic or Nodular Acne - appears within 5 - 7 days of eating something that would give me this type

Small Pimples, Pustules, Whiteheads or "sugar pimples" - appears 2-3 days of eating something that would give me this type

FOODS
Gluten (wheat, barley, rye, possibly oats) - 95% of my acne problem (facial and body), probably gives me all types of acne except for maybe nodular but I don't know.  All I know is that I saw that much improvement when I dropped it  ;-).  One of the threads I made discussed whether the LARGE improvement may have been due to me inadvertently eliminating the Refined grains, Trans Fats, Dairy, and Added Sugars, especially Fructose Based ones when I avoided Gluten.  In which case, that would make sense to see such a huge improvement.

Bananas - cysts

Peanuts - cysts

Nuts - Cysts

Genus Prunus of Rose Family - Almonds, Peaches, Nectarines, Plums, Apricots, Cherries - very stubborn nodular/cystic acne that lasts for 2 - 4 weeks!

Glucose Based Sweeteners - Pimples, Sugar Pimples (last 2 - 3 days from onset), and possibly very tiny little stubborn pimples on my neck(last a few weeks or get inflamed & turn into cysts).

Fructose Based Sweeteners - Cystic or Nodular acne that usually lasts 2 - 4 weeks. I also get double or triple infections (3 zits around or on top of each other) and possibly very tiny little stubborn pimples on my neck (last a few weeks or get inflamed & turn into cysts).

Dairy - pimples, cysts and may give me double or triple infections.

Cooked Whole Eggs - ????? I don't usually eat these very often, but I have been eating these past 2 weeks, Egglands Best.

Cottonseed Oil - ????  (had some of this recently but had been avoiding because others said it gave them cysts)

Trans Fats - I know it messes with my pores, but others say it gives them cystic acne so, I must pay attention to see if it does this to me.  As for my pores, if I eat enough trans fats it takes at least 2 weeks to shrink them back down to being nearly invisible.

LOCATION   (not 100% certain about all these)
Ear Lobe Acne - primarily tiny nodules that sit in my earlobes (can't see them but feel them) for several months - 1 year before slooooooowly disappearing. These first appeared a year into my diet and at that point I had been off of the Avandia, but was still on Spironolactone, so this was a NEW type of acne for me.  Initially I thought it was due to me eating dairy as they ALWAYS developed when I had Gluten Free Refined Cereal, but I'm not eating dairy anymore or the Cereal, so it must be something else.  Right now I've got them in both earlobs, so I'm guessing maybe it's due to eating added sugar (since I added table sugar to the cereal), scrambled whole eggs (which I've done several times in the past 2 weeks) or due to eating roasted sunflower seeds (past 2 months w/ different brands thus different oils).  Must experiment further.

Lip Acne - very tiny persistant acne that just hangs out around my lip until I manually extract them.  This has been going on for a few years now and when I breakout, I'l get anywhere from 1 - 3 of these, but can't recall what triggers it though (already tested toothpastes).  Although my guess is that it's related to candida as I never had them until I went on Minocyclne a few years back (only for 3 months) so it must be an indicator of when I'm getting too much natural sugar or maybe that I got some added sugar in my diet.

Underchin-Neck Acne (under area where head & neck meet) - This is also another NEW form of acne for me that didn't start developing until over a year ago.  This is very much so based on foods that I eat, and the ones that give it me are Almonds, and their associated fruits.  Other nuts may also do this to me, but I'm not certain.

Neck Acne - High Fructose Corn Syrup and other added sugars that are based on fructose.

Upper Body Acne - Everything I eat can cause a breakout on my body, but usually I breakout on my face or other areas before I will on my chest & back if I do something I shouldn't.  I do recall clearing up more so once I eliminated almonds and other nuts on my back though (those stubborn cysts went away).

Lower Body Acne - Again this is a NEW type of acne and it occurs primarily on my lower arms, sometimes bum, and rarely on the legs.  I believe this is also due to me stilll having Candida (according to the spit test) and it only happens when I do "something".  Again that something may be too much added sugar or natural sugar, as it's very sporadic, but it does seem to pop up when I consume too much table sugar.

Under Arm Acne - Cystic acne that was something that used to happen to me quite frequently until I guess I changed my deodorant or went on Spironolactone 6 years ago.  However the last time I had one of these breakouts was when I had changed my diet and was messing around eating bananas and I brokeout under my arms.  I stopped eating the bananas and I haven't had one since.

Forehead & Chin Acne - due to eating nuts & fructose sweeteners

Other acne - I breakout elsehwere on my face like my eyebrows, cheeks, sides of face, but those areas are harder to pinpoint.  I think it's just due to added sugars because sometimes they are sugar pimples, and fructose because sometimes they are cysts and whatever else.

Pores - no acne here, but my pore size and the hairs that grow from them are affected by Trans Fat Consumption.  I rarely got blackheads and so when I started seeing them more often AFTER changing my diet I wondered what I was doing.  Well I was eating more trans fats than before because I was eating microwavable butter popcorn, packaged foods (that were thought to be safe), etc.  Once I stopped, the pores shrank considerably and those new hairs started to fall out or existing hairs would sometimes thin out.
Obviously, there's still somethings I need to figure out as I'm only 99% clear, which is a HUGE amazing improvement.  That 1% could be due to anything, including possibly just the candida I've still got in my system.  Of course, I think it's great that I'm able to pinpoint what certain foods to do me, but anyone thinking about these diets would be better off creating a food dairy as sometimes it can be confusing.  After all, documenting your changes & observations is the scientific way biggrin.gif

View Post

Thank you very much for this post. I have been GORGING on nuts - esp almonds. I have "neckne" - acne on my neck. Overall, since I stopped eating sugar, my acne has greatly improved. Other things that are helping are at least 3 liters of water per day and meditation / stress reduction. I have wondered about the nuts. I'm going to drop them for a week and see what happens. There are so many foods to avoid... it's getting hard to find things I CAN eat. Guacamole and hummus are my latest snacks. I put them on organic, salt-free rice cakes. They fill me up. Thanks again for sharing your foods that cause you acne list.

#25 xmarysue

xmarysue

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:36 AM

good luck leetleetloo.. i'm trying to give up nuts too to see if they attribute to my last 5% of acne. i've switched over to only eating pumpkin seeds (mixed with raisins - a yummy combination).
i was eating rice cakes too, until i read on askshelley.com that rice cakes are not so great for you - that somehow they put your system into 'attack mode' because your body doesn't recognize them as food (because all nutrients are stripped). she describes here:
http://www.askshelle...ight=rice cakes
confused.gif
i've replaced them with brown rice bread (wheat/gluten free/sprouted grain) which is pretty tasty and fills me up even better than the rice cakes. and seems to be a better use of my dollar nutrition wise, anyways!

#26 ndmgal

ndmgal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:39 AM

I went on a sugar free no yeast diet for a month back in december, and my skin looked really good. It's SOOOO hard tho!!! I had to eat like rice cakes and I had sugar free snack cakes.

#27 LeetLeetLoo

LeetLeetLoo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2005 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE(xheatherleighx @ Apr 20 2005, 05:36 AM)
good luck leetleetloo.. i'm trying to give up nuts too to see if they attribute to my last 5% of acne.  i've switched over to only eating pumpkin seeds (mixed with raisins - a yummy combination).
i was eating rice cakes too, until i read on askshelley.com that rice cakes are not so great for you - that somehow they put your system into 'attack mode' because your body doesn't recognize them as food (because all nutrients are stripped).  she describes here:
http://www.askshelle...ight=rice cakes
  confused.gif 
i've replaced them with brown rice bread (wheat/gluten free/sprouted grain) which is pretty tasty and fills me up even better than the rice cakes.  and seems to be a better use of my dollar nutrition wise, anyways!

View Post

Thank you for this tip! I haven't eaten rice bread in a long time but I will go pick someone up. I have seen it at Whole Foods. I'm sort of craving bread so this is just the ticket. Thanks! Also, I have some pumpkin seeds. Today, I am going to eat some of those (instead of nuts!).

#28 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2005 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE(LeetLeetLoo @ Apr 20 2005, 10:05 AM)
Thank you for this tip! I haven't eaten rice bread in a long time but I will go pick someone up. I have seen it at Whole Foods. I'm sort of craving bread so this is just the ticket. Thanks! Also, I have some pumpkin seeds. Today, I am going to eat some of those (instead of nuts!).

View Post

My son only tolerates a few pumpkin seeds - no other nuts. I am so glad to see so many people making the diet/acne connection.

Man, my salmon with capers I fixed was awesome. It was wild salmon I found at WalMart in the frozen food section. Not the usual, but in a lonnnnnnggggg package. It was so tasty. Gonna make homemade hummus, tabouli, lentils, squash, and chicken cooked with peppers and onions tomorrow night. We will have to turn on the middle eastern music for sure!

#29 wnddrrwmnn

wnddrrwmnn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2005 - 10:54 AM

Hours...one morning I woke up cleaned my face and I inspect every inch of it and I was fine. By midway into my shift at work, I could feel an itch on my face, and reached to rub the area. Huge cystic acne on my cheek. I left it alone and the next day it hurt so bad and was so swollen.

#30 QuikSILver

QuikSILver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:35 AM

Ok everyone. I HAVE THE ANSWER. I have mentioned this in previous threads and i am glad that some one has brought this up.

A pimple takes about 2-3 weeks to form!
From acne.com
It doesnt matter when you actually see the pimple. A pimple is forming way before you can actually notice it.

Here is where I got it from(A pretty dependable source if you ask me).

http://www.acne.com/...causes_acne.php

So think twice when you think that some food or something you did a couple days ago caused your breakout! But, dont get me wrong acne.com might not be really that dependable and I will leave it up to you to make your conclusions

#31 sinashgh

sinashgh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2005 - 03:53 PM

5-7 days later for me.

I eat something bad or do something that I know will cause acne and 5 days after that I'll see the first sign of it and have that acne for a few days until it's gone.

#32 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2005 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE(QuikSILver @ Apr 20 2005, 10:35 AM)
Ok everyone. I HAVE THE ANSWER. I have mentioned this in previous threads and i am glad that some one has brought this up.

From acne.com
It doesnt matter when you actually see the pimple. A pimple is forming way before you can actually notice it.

So think twice when you think that some food or something you did a couple days ago caused your breakout! But, dont get me wrong acne.com might not be really that dependable and I will leave it up to you to make your conclusions

View Post

I appreciate that this might be the case for some pimples, but just because it says so on acne.org does not necessarily make it so, just because derms say so, DEFINITELY does not make it so, as so many people here have discovered. You're the expert on your own body. Clueing into and being aware of what your own body needs is one of the best ways to be healthy, IMO.

#33 geezer

geezer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2005 - 12:59 AM

In my case it's 2-5 days. I know this for sure because lately I have been 99% clear unless I cheat. I have been cheating kinda on purpose just that I would find out what triggers my acne. All my acne appears in the next 2-5 days if I cheat and most of it in days 2 and 3. I don't know where this 2-3 weeks comes from but I believe it's highly exceptional if one develops acne in such a long period of time after cheating. Cystic acne probably takes more time to develop but 2-3 weeks might still be a bit exaggerated.

#34 emmabrown

emmabrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:14 AM

wtf? nuts can be responsible for cysts forming? that better not be true, I read nuts are good for you, not bad, and bananas? I thought all fruit was good for you, not bad, I ate 2 bananas a few days ago, ugh this threads depressing as hell!

#35 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE(emmabrown @ Apr 21 2005, 12:14 PM)
wtf? nuts can be responsible for cysts forming? that better not be true, I read nuts are good for you, not bad, and bananas? I thought all fruit was good for you, not bad, I ate 2 bananas a few days ago, ugh this threads depressing as hell!

View Post

Nuts are great foods, but some cannot tolerate them. Just experiment and see. Bananas are very high in sugar - especially those that are very ripe -; again, see what works for your body.

You may not have a problem with these things. Just good to point this out in case someone has "tried everything" but they didn't think of nuts or bananas.

#36 Illegal Life

Illegal Life

Fuck All.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE(Minnym0use @ Apr 21 2005, 01:44 PM)
Nuts are great foods, but some cannot tolerate them.  Just experiment and see.  Bananas are very high in sugar - especially those that are very ripe -; again, see what works for your body. 

You may not have a problem with these things.  Just good to point this out in case someone has "tried everything" but they didn't think of nuts or bananas.

View Post

Ok guess Im gonna give up peanut butter for a few days and see what happens

#37 wnddrrwmnn

wnddrrwmnn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2005 - 04:51 AM

QUOTE(QuikSILver @ Apr 20 2005, 10:35 AM)

From acne.com

View Post

When you are talking about hormonal imbalances it can be just a matter of hours though. It's not all about what you eat.

#38 QuikSILver

QuikSILver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:24 AM

QUOTE(wnddrrwmnn @ Apr 22 2005, 02:51 AM)
When you are talking about hormonal imbalances it can be just a matter of hours though.  It's not all about what you eat.

View Post

really??how do you know this...who told you? Im curious...im not being sarcastic and note that i am open minded....

I appreciate that this might be the case for some pimples, but just because it says so on acne.org does not necessarily make it so, just because derms say so, DEFINITELY does not make it so, as so many people here have discovered. You're the expert on your own body. Clueing into and being aware of what your own body needs is one of the best ways to be healthy, IMO.

If you read my post correctly...youll notice that at the end i wrote something that i think you missed...

Well, how on earth could you clue on your own body?!??! I just told you that it begins forming a week before it even appears...Sometimes, your body can decieve you. People tend to make rash generalizations. Like, for example, "hmm this pimple appeared in 1 hour", "i checked earlier and there was nothing there", "It must have been the eggs i ate yesterday(Or i didnt gel my hair yesterday...real case with my cousin!!)"....Well, medicine doesnt really work like that...Dont get me wrong but he/she might be right...but not necessarily. You cant just go with common sense...If so then why do doctors take 6 years to go to medical school...How do you know that acne.com isnt true in ALL cases?

The bottom question is "How could you be an expert on your own body, when you can easily be deceived and 100 % sure that your pimple formed in an hour?"

#39 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2005 - 07:51 AM

LOL, I figured it out!

Dermatologists need to be studying those of us, or rather those that are 100% clear through dietary means alone, to see if what the truth really is. They need to do biopsies, etc on their skin and/or lesions and then check it out after they've introduced a food they KNOW will break them out and see what changes occur.

The theory that our skin is poised and read to breakout and that all we need to do is irritate it is a much better theory compared to the one where it takes 30 days or 90 days to break out. Ask anyone on this board how long they've been 99% or 100% clear and then ask them what they need to reverse this. From what I've heard others say and just thinking about how long it always takes to screw something up, it's almost always a very short period of time, followe unfortunately by a much longer period of time to reverse the damage (depends on what the damage is).

Personally, it's an experiment whenever I eat out because I get to determine what ingredients are in the foods that I eat. Last week I didn't have time to make lunch so I had something from Manchu Wok (I know, but they have yummy veggies) and I decided to go with the BBQ Pork (which I know is sweet). A few days later, I had a few tiny little sugar pimples showing up and I didn't remember why until I thought about it. I was looking in the mirror and I was like "why do I have this sugar pimples I didn't have any adde---oh yeah I did" cool.gif Otherwise, they do NOT appear and are not apart of the 1% acne I have left, they are my "cheat" acne. Yesterday I had their Oriental Grilled Chicken which I also know is sweetened (not as sweet yesterday and tasted like it's sweetened with honey) so we shall see what I end up with in a few days. Otherwise I do avoid foods I know are sweetened, but I thought I'd see if I can detect what type of sugar they're using based on how I break out.

That's all for now

#40 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:41 AM

Interesting... keep us updated, SJ. smile.gif