Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Long Do You Think It Takes For Zit To Form?

65 posts in this topic

I went on a sugar free no yeast diet for a month back in december, and my skin looked really good. It's SOOOO hard tho!!! I had to eat like rice cakes and I had sugar free snack cakes.

good luck leetleetloo.. i'm trying to give up nuts too to see if they attribute to my last 5% of acne.  i've switched over to only eating pumpkin seeds (mixed with raisins - a yummy combination).

i was eating rice cakes too, until i read on askshelley.com that rice cakes are not so great for you - that somehow they put your system into 'attack mode' because your body doesn't recognize them as food (because all nutrients are stripped).  she describes here:

http://www.askshelley.com/forum/about890.h...ight=rice+cakes

confused.gif 

i've replaced them with brown rice bread (wheat/gluten free/sprouted grain) which is pretty tasty and fills me up even better than the rice cakes.  and seems to be a better use of my dollar nutrition wise, anyways!

Thank you for this tip! I haven't eaten rice bread in a long time but I will go pick someone up. I have seen it at Whole Foods. I'm sort of craving bread so this is just the ticket. Thanks! Also, I have some pumpkin seeds. Today, I am going to eat some of those (instead of nuts!).

"Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place."

Mark Twain

Hours...one morning I woke up cleaned my face and I inspect every inch of it and I was fine. By midway into my shift at work, I could feel an itch on my face, and reached to rub the area. Huge cystic acne on my cheek. I left it alone and the next day it hurt so bad and was so swollen.

Ok everyone. I HAVE THE ANSWER. I have mentioned this in previous threads and i am glad that some one has brought this up.

A pimple takes about 2-3 weeks to form!

From acne.com

It doesnt matter when you actually see the pimple. A pimple is forming way before you can actually notice it.

Here is where I got it from(A pretty dependable source if you ask me).

http://www.acne.com/cause_effects/causes_acne.php

So think twice when you think that some food or something you did a couple days ago caused your breakout! But, dont get me wrong acne.com might not be really that dependable and I will leave it up to you to make your conclusions

5-7 days later for me.

I eat something bad or do something that I know will cause acne and 5 days after that I'll see the first sign of it and have that acne for a few days until it's gone.

Ok everyone. I HAVE THE ANSWER. I have mentioned this in previous threads and i am glad that some one has brought this up.

From acne.com

It doesnt matter when you actually see the pimple. A pimple is forming way before you can actually notice it.

So think twice when you think that some food or something you did a couple days ago caused your breakout! But, dont get me wrong acne.com might not be really that dependable and I will leave it up to you to make your conclusions

My regimen:

Eat regularly: a wide variety of vegetables, eggs, meat/fish, cheese, yogurt, butter, fruit, nuts/seeds.

Occasionally eat: beans, squash, potatoes.

Don't eat: sugar, grains, most processed food.

In my case it's 2-5 days. I know this for sure because lately I have been 99% clear unless I cheat. I have been cheating kinda on purpose just that I would find out what triggers my acne. All my acne appears in the next 2-5 days if I cheat and most of it in days 2 and 3. I don't know where this 2-3 weeks comes from but I believe it's highly exceptional if one develops acne in such a long period of time after cheating. Cystic acne probably takes more time to develop but 2-3 weeks might still be a bit exaggerated.

wtf? nuts can be responsible for cysts forming? that better not be true, I read nuts are good for you, not bad, and bananas? I thought all fruit was good for you, not bad, I ate 2 bananas a few days ago, ugh this threads depressing as hell!

wtf? nuts can be responsible for cysts forming? that better not be true, I read nuts are good for you, not bad, and bananas? I thought all fruit was good for you, not bad, I ate 2 bananas a few days ago, ugh this threads depressing as hell!

"Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place."

Mark Twain

Nuts are great foods, but some cannot tolerate them.  Just experiment and see.  Bananas are very high in sugar - especially those that are very ripe -; again, see what works for your body. 

You may not have a problem with these things.  Just good to point this out in case someone has "tried everything" but they didn't think of nuts or bananas.

I cant wait till the day when I never have to visit this site again.

From acne.com

When you are talking about hormonal imbalances it can be just a matter of hours though.  It's not all about what you eat.

LOL, I figured it out!

Dermatologists need to be studying those of us, or rather those that are 100% clear through dietary means alone, to see if what the truth really is. They need to do biopsies, etc on their skin and/or lesions and then check it out after they've introduced a food they KNOW will break them out and see what changes occur.

The theory that our skin is poised and read to breakout and that all we need to do is irritate it is a much better theory compared to the one where it takes 30 days or 90 days to break out. Ask anyone on this board how long they've been 99% or 100% clear and then ask them what they need to reverse this. From what I've heard others say and just thinking about how long it always takes to screw something up, it's almost always a very short period of time, followe unfortunately by a much longer period of time to reverse the damage (depends on what the damage is).

Personally, it's an experiment whenever I eat out because I get to determine what ingredients are in the foods that I eat. Last week I didn't have time to make lunch so I had something from Manchu Wok (I know, but they have yummy veggies) and I decided to go with the BBQ Pork (which I know is sweet). A few days later, I had a few tiny little sugar pimples showing up and I didn't remember why until I thought about it. I was looking in the mirror and I was like "why do I have this sugar pimples I didn't have any adde---oh yeah I did" cool.gif Otherwise, they do NOT appear and are not apart of the 1% acne I have left, they are my "cheat" acne. Yesterday I had their Oriental Grilled Chicken which I also know is sweetened (not as sweet yesterday and tasted like it's sweetened with honey) so we shall see what I end up with in a few days. Otherwise I do avoid foods I know are sweetened, but I thought I'd see if I can detect what type of sugar they're using based on how I break out.

That's all for now

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

* Strengthen/Repair GI - Immune health

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

really??how do you know this...who told you? Im curious...im not being sarcastic and note that i am open minded....

If you read my post correctly...youll notice that at the end i wrote something that i think you missed...

Well, how on earth could you clue on your own body?!??! I just told you that it begins forming a week before it even appears...Sometimes, your body can decieve you. People tend to make rash generalizations. Like, for example, "hmm this pimple appeared in 1 hour", "i checked earlier and there was nothing there", "It must have been the eggs i ate yesterday(Or i didnt gel my hair yesterday...real case with my cousin!!)"....Well, medicine doesnt really work like that...Dont get me wrong but he/she might be right...but not necessarily. You cant just go with common sense...If so then why do doctors take 6 years to go to medical school...How do you know that acne.com isnt true in ALL cases?

The bottom question is "How could you be an expert on your own body, when you can easily be deceived and 100 % sure that your pimple formed in an hour?"

lol..."sweetie"...ok now i get your point. It seems you are very experienced with this because you have been battling acne for 20 years. But, believe me, it may not be the case with other people.

The theory that our skin is poised and read to breakout and that all we need to do is irritate it is a much better theory compared to the one where it takes 30 days or 90 days to break out.  Ask anyone on this board how long they've been 99% or 100% clear and then ask them what they need to reverse this.  From what I've heard others say and just thinking about how long it always takes to screw something up, it's almost always a very short period of time, followe unfortunately by a much longer period of time to reverse the damage (depends on what the damage is).

My regimen:

Eat regularly: a wide variety of vegetables, eggs, meat/fish, cheese, yogurt, butter, fruit, nuts/seeds.

Occasionally eat: beans, squash, potatoes.

Don't eat: sugar, grains, most processed food.

If you do read the FULL article this will also be noted:

There is no one simple "cause" of acne  the condition is influenced by many factors, many which are out of your control. The regularity with which you shed skin cells can change throughout your life. The rate at which you produce sebum is affected by your hormone balance, which is often in flux  especially for women. Research has also shown that genetics play a big part in the development and persistence of acne, so your family history is a valuable prediction tool as well.

One of the best weapons in the fight against acne, however, is knowledge; if you know what causes it, it's easier to formulate a good plan of attack. There are five primary culprits contributing to this process. Each of these factors may vary dramatically between individuals. While you don't have control over these factors, understanding them can help you in your search for the proper treatment.

Acne culprit #1: Hormones. For the majority of acne sufferers, the trouble begins at puberty, when the body begins to produce hormones called androgens. These hormones cause the sebaceous glands to enlarge, which is a natural part of the body's development. In acne sufferers, however, the sebaceous glands are overstimulated by androgens, sometimes well into adulthood. Androgens are also responsible for acne flare-ups associated with the menstrual cycle and, on occasion, pregnancy.

Acne culprit #2: Extra sebum. When the sebaceous gland is stimulated by androgens, it produces extra sebum. In its journey up the follicle toward the surface, the sebum mixes with common skin bacteria and dead skin cells that have been shed from the lining of the follicle. While this process is normal, the presence of extra sebum in the follicle increases the chances of clogging  and acne.

Acne culprit #3: Follicle fallout. Normally, dead cells within the follicle shed gradually and are expelled onto the skin’s surface. But in patients with overactive sebaceous glands  and in nearly everyone during puberty  these cells are shed more rapidly. Mixed with a surplus of sebum, the dead skin cells form a plug in the follicle, preventing the skin from finishing its natural process of renewal.

Acne culprit #4: Bacteria. The bacterium Propionibacterium acnes, (P. acnes for short) is a regular resident of all skin types; it’s part of the skin’s natural sebum maintenance system. Once a follicle is plugged, however, P. acnes bacteria multiply rapidly, creating the chemical reaction we know as inflammation in the follicle and surrounding skin.

Acne culprit #5: Inflammation. When your body encounters unwanted bacteria, it sends an army of white blood cells to attack the intruders. This process is called chemotaxis; or, simply put, the inflammatory response. This is what causes pimples to become red, swollen and painful. The inflammatory response is different for everyone, but studies have shown that it is especially strong in adult women.

Great thread

Hmmmm I don't know I think it varies according to the type of pimple

Uninflamed whiteheads can pop up within a couple of hours for me

Sometimes I have eaten really greasy fish n chips and unavoidably transferred oil to the areas around my mouth and literally within a couple of hours up popped a whitehead or two. Also last week I went for a walk with makeup on (pathetic isn't it cry.gif) it was quite warm so I got a bit sweaty and by the end of my 45min walk two pimples had popped up in the crease between my bottom lip and chin. But I find that I can pop these straight away and the next day they are gone without a trace no red mark nothing

BUT I also have those horrible ones that you can feel forming under your skin and then a week later they form a bump and then a few days after that they finally come to a head

And then there are cysts I don't even want to think about them

so anything from and hour to a month for me

Morning

Neutrogena Pore Refining Cleanser

Neutrogena Skin Clearing Gel (SA 2%)

Olay Complete SPF15 Moisturiser (Lotion)

Night

Olay Daily Facials Cleansing Cloths - Normal to Dry

Skin Doctors Gamma Hydroxy Forte Skin Resurfacing Cream

Spot treat with Queene Helene Mint Julep Mask

Dettol Soothing Antiseptic Cream 2-3x a week

what is the connection between nuts, especially peanuts and almonds, and acne?

would going off of these for a week [ along with everything else ] be a way of proof ?? has anyone tried this and seen results, and then gone back on and eaten almonds and broken out???

what exactly are Fructose Based sweeteners???

what exactly are glucose based sweeteners???

does this include "brown rice sweetener" ??

what is the connection between nuts, especially peanuts and almonds, and acne?

would going off of these for a week [ along with everything else ] be a way of proof ?? has anyone tried this and seen results, and then gone back on and eaten almonds and broken out???