Photo

How Long Do You Think It Takes For Zit To Form?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#1 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2005 - 12:45 PM

Many people say that they ate something really gross and next day they had a pimple; yet there are others who say it takes weeks for a new zit to form.

My question is this:

How long do you think it takes for a zit to form. Not how long does it take to rid your body of the entire zit, but how long from A to Zit.

Please say what your experience is and why you draw your conclusions the way you do.

Thanks for helping me figure this one out.

Personally, I say about 3 days.

#2 americancrewmc

americancrewmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2005 - 01:30 PM

With regards to, "I ate something and today I broke out", clearly explains that certain foods trigger the stimulation of hormone production. This, I assume, excacerbates the skin even more, resulting in an overnight pimple. I've heard several studies that say "1-2 weeks", which I find quite a long time, but is possible.

#3 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2005 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE(americancrewmc @ Apr 13 2005, 02:30 PM)
With regards to, "I ate something and today I broke out", clearly explains that certain foods trigger the stimulation of hormone production. This, I assume, excacerbates the skin even more, resulting in an overnight pimple. I've heard several studies that say "1-2 weeks", which I find quite a long time, but is possible.

View Post

But what is YOUR experience. When do you notice a new zit after say the holidaze or something like that? Next day? A week?

#4 karen2906

karen2906

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:03 PM

it's really hard to tell. before Accutane, I was breaking out consistently without any real "cause." I can't say that i ate a hershey's kiss and bam! the next day it showed up on my face as a cyst.

i think that when one gets one or two pimples suddenly, they might have been a result of a couple of sleep deprived nights, but if the acne continually got worse and more persistent, chances are, some new product or regimen (or change in general) that was started a few weeks or even months ago are to blame.

#5 LeetLeetLoo

LeetLeetLoo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:17 PM

GREAT question and I would LOVE to know the answer!! I believe they take weeks to form w/ the exception of an allergy. This is just my opinon - not based on any fact. I just think the whole process takes some time.

#6 Illegal Life

Illegal Life

Fuck All.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:29 PM

Well I think it happens just overnight or in a day...

#7 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2005 - 08:45 PM

Keep em comin folks - this is interesting

eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif

#8 Alpha Bits

Alpha Bits

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 32
About Me

Posted 13 April 2005 - 08:58 PM

I'd say three days. Usually the first warning sign comes when I see a red spot that suddenly appeared on my skin that I don't remember seeing earlier. It then takes about a day to form into a bump and by the next day it fully resembles a blemish.

Although I'm heard a pimple-to-be starts forming under your skin a couple weeks in advance and doesn't come to the surface immediately.

#9 ξ®ٱ©

ξ®ٱ©

Doesn't listen to emotions, listens to logic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2005 - 11:28 PM

I say 2-3 weeks for one to form and appear on its own without irritation. Certainly there are things that irritate them and cause them to swell and break though the skin. Usually thise happens within a day or 2.

#10 ReD

ReD

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2005 - 05:09 AM

I think its 1-3 days at most to form a zit itself. But the "favorabale conditions" for something to pop up may be a period of few weeks.
In other words theres a place under your skin primed for a breakout. if something triggers it you get zits, if nothing triggers it for some time it goes away.

thats my crazy lil theory, though i dont really care how long it takes to form as long as it doesnt form at all heh

#11 balloonman

balloonman

There is no balloonman, Only Zool

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2005 - 08:04 AM

I find if I rub my skin in a specific area, the next day I breakout there. It takes about 2 days before it's "pop-worthy" but if I eat something odd it usually takes closer to a week to see results.

I drink alot of water so my acne is sort of accelerated from what it was. What took 1 week to come and go now takes 3 days. I'm really bad one day (and rubbing my skin will make me breakout the next day) but the next it looks alot better and by day 3 the old stuff are just light red marks.

#12 spotz n dotz

spotz n dotz

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2005 - 08:51 AM

my personal experience, from when I first see a red splotch, it usually takes a week. 3 days ago, I had a small red bump on my neck. Now its huge (and bustable) but I'm gonna wait it out.

#13 xmarysue

xmarysue

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2005 - 12:01 PM

well, my experience seems to be 5-7 days for a pimple to be caused by foods (either sugar or dairy, haven't tested wheat/refined foods yet). however, stress also effects my skin - and for me pimples appear approximately 2 days after a stressful day.

these observations were based on my reaction to eating small amounts of sugar for 5 days straight. i didn't receive my first blemish until 7 days after day one of ingesting the sugar. on a seperate incident/experiment, i had a piece of ice cream cake, and didn't develop a couple of small pimples until 5 days later. i've been keeping a meticulous diet record where i record every single thing i eat and the consequence for almost 3 months now. this probably sounds a bit obsessive, i know.. but i'm 35 and by GOD i am going to get to the bottom of my acne and control it once it and for all!!!

i've had two extremely stressful days since my strict diet changes, and within 48 hours i noticed inflammation and breakouts. and another uncontrollable factor for me, being female, is my monthly menstrual cycle. i've found that the week prior to my period is my skin's worst, and a week after my period - my skin is crystal clear. this hormonal imbalance, much to my regret, is not controllable for me through diet. (but the other improvements from my diet changes the rest of the month are so amazing that i will not give up!)

#14 spotz n dotz

spotz n dotz

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2005 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE(xheatherleighx @ Apr 14 2005, 02:01 PM)
well, my experience seems to be 5-7 days for a pimple to be caused by foods (either sugar or dairy, haven't tested wheat/refined foods yet).  however, stress also effects my skin - and for me pimples appear approximately 2 days after a stressful day.

these observations were based on my reaction to eating small amounts of sugar for 5 days straight.  i didn't receive my first blemish until 7 days after day one of ingesting the sugar.  on a seperate incident/experiment, i had a piece of ice cream cake, and didn't develop a couple of small pimples until 5 days later.  i've been keeping a meticulous diet record where i record every single thing i eat and the consequence for almost 3 months now.  this probably sounds a bit obsessive, i know.. but i'm 35 and by GOD i am going to get to the bottom of my acne and control it once it and for all!!!

i've had two extremely stressful days since my strict diet changes, and within 48 hours i noticed inflammation and breakouts.  and another uncontrollable factor for me, being female, is my monthly menstrual cycle.  i've found that the week prior to my period is my skin's worst, and a week after my period - my skin is crystal clear.  this hormonal imbalance, much to my regret, is not controllable for me through diet.  (but the other improvements from my diet changes the rest of the month are so amazing that i will not give up!)

View Post

wow, I'm impressed, it's hard for me to even balance a checkbook!  Good for you
eusa_clap.gif

#15 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2005 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE(xheatherleighx @ Apr 14 2005, 01:01 PM)
well, my experience seems to be 5-7 days for a pimple to be caused by foods (either sugar or dairy, haven't tested wheat/refined foods yet).  however, stress also effects my skin - and for me pimples appear approximately 2 days after a stressful day.

these observations were based on my reaction to eating small amounts of sugar for 5 days straight.  i didn't receive my first blemish until 7 days after day one of ingesting the sugar.  on a seperate incident/experiment, i had a piece of ice cream cake, and didn't develop a couple of small pimples until 5 days later.  i've been keeping a meticulous diet record where i record every single thing i eat and the consequence for almost 3 months now.  this probably sounds a bit obsessive, i know.. but i'm 35 and by GOD i am going to get to the bottom of my acne and control it once it and for all!!!

i've had two extremely stressful days since my strict diet changes, and within 48 hours i noticed inflammation and breakouts.  and another uncontrollable factor for me, being female, is my monthly menstrual cycle.  i've found that the week prior to my period is my skin's worst, and a week after my period - my skin is crystal clear.  this hormonal imbalance, much to my regret, is not controllable for me through diet.  (but the other improvements from my diet changes the rest of the month are so amazing that i will not give up!)

View Post

Well, you certainly were the one to ask. Thanks! eusa_dance.gif eusa_dance.gif

#16 xmarysue

xmarysue

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:01 AM

... and guess what?!! all in honor of THIS thread.. last night i made a fresh batch of homemade brownies and ate one (a small one!) along with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream! biggrin.gif so i can track precisely how long it takes for my skin to react!! eusa_angel.gif

and i'm also practicing what i preach in terms of not thinking you've reached the end of the world when you 'cheat' on a diet. i allowing myself the permission to treat myself say, once a month. this way i'll be 97% good / 3% bad - which for me is realistic. i have a husband who refuses to change his diet at all (although IS supportive and content to fix his own meals), and two daughters who side with the man of the house on this issue. although, my older daughter - who is 13 and developing acne is very sloooooooowly making tiny changes here and there.

anyway, i'll post back as soon as i see the inevitable reaction! (and hopefully i won't experience any major stress or sleep deprivation that'll taint the results). wink.gif

#17 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:08 AM

QUOTE(xheatherleighx @ Apr 15 2005, 09:01 AM)
... and guess what?!! all in honor of THIS thread.. last night i made a fresh batch of homemade brownies and ate one (a small one!) along with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream!  biggrin.gif  so i can track precisely how long it takes for my skin to react!!  eusa_angel.gif

and i'm also practicing what i preach in terms of not thinking you've reached the end of the world when you 'cheat' on a diet.  i allowing myself the permission to treat myself say, once a month.  this way i'll be 97% good / 3% bad - which for me is realistic.  i have a husband who refuses to change his diet at all (although IS supportive and content to fix his own meals), and two daughters who side with the man of the house on this issue.  although, my older daughter - who is 13 and developing acne is very sloooooooowly making tiny changes here and there.

anyway, i'll post back as soon as i see the inevitable reaction!  (and hopefully i won't experience any major stress or sleep deprivation that'll taint the results). wink.gif

View Post

Ah ha! (mad scientist laugh)

We have found our guinea pig!

evil.gif evil.gif (there was no mad scientist icon - he he)

#18 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2005 - 09:54 AM

(maybe I read through too fast but I cant' find the post you mentioned minnymouse)

As for me I get different types of acne, in different places, and based on the different foods I eat. However I don't keep a food diary, so some of these I'm not 100% certain about.

TIME FRAME
Cystic or Nodular Acne - appears within 5 - 7 days of eating something that would give me this type

Small Pimples, Pustules, Whiteheads or "sugar pimples" - appears 2-3 days of eating something that would give me this type

FOODS
Gluten (wheat, barley, rye, possibly oats) - 95% of my acne problem (facial and body), probably gives me all types of acne except for maybe nodular but I don't know. All I know is that I saw that much improvement when I dropped it ;-). One of the threads I made discussed whether the LARGE improvement may have been due to me inadvertently eliminating the Refined grains, Trans Fats, Dairy, and Added Sugars, especially Fructose Based ones when I avoided Gluten. In which case, that would make sense to see such a huge improvement.

Bananas - cysts

Peanuts - cysts

Nuts - Cysts

Genus Prunus of Rose Family - Almonds, Peaches, Nectarines, Plums, Apricots, Cherries - very stubborn nodular/cystic acne that lasts for 2 - 4 weeks!

Glucose Based Sweeteners - Pimples, Sugar Pimples (last 2 - 3 days from onset), and possibly very tiny little stubborn pimples on my neck(last a few weeks or get inflamed & turn into cysts).

Fructose Based Sweeteners - Cystic or Nodular acne that usually lasts 2 - 4 weeks. I also get double or triple infections (3 zits around or on top of each other) and possibly very tiny little stubborn pimples on my neck (last a few weeks or get inflamed & turn into cysts).

Dairy - pimples, cysts and may give me double or triple infections.

Cooked Whole Eggs - ????? I don't usually eat these very often, but I have been eating these past 2 weeks, Egglands Best.

Cottonseed Oil - ???? (had some of this recently but had been avoiding because others said it gave them cysts)

Trans Fats - I know it messes with my pores, but others say it gives them cystic acne so, I must pay attention to see if it does this to me. As for my pores, if I eat enough trans fats it takes at least 2 weeks to shrink them back down to being nearly invisible.

LOCATION (not 100% certain about all these)
Ear Lobe Acne - primarily tiny nodules that sit in my earlobes (can't see them but feel them) for several months - 1 year before slooooooowly disappearing. These first appeared a year into my diet and at that point I had been off of the Avandia, but was still on Spironolactone, so this was a NEW type of acne for me. Initially I thought it was due to me eating dairy as they ALWAYS developed when I had Gluten Free Refined Cereal, but I'm not eating dairy anymore or the Cereal, so it must be something else. Right now I've got them in both earlobs, so I'm guessing maybe it's due to eating added sugar (since I added table sugar to the cereal), scrambled whole eggs (which I've done several times in the past 2 weeks) or due to eating roasted sunflower seeds (past 2 months w/ different brands thus different oils). Must experiment further.

Lip Acne - very tiny persistant acne that just hangs out around my lip until I manually extract them. This has been going on for a few years now and when I breakout, I'l get anywhere from 1 - 3 of these, but can't recall what triggers it though (already tested toothpastes). Although my guess is that it's related to candida as I never had them until I went on Minocyclne a few years back (only for 3 months) so it must be an indicator of when I'm getting too much natural sugar or maybe that I got some added sugar in my diet.

Underchin-Neck Acne (under area where head & neck meet) - This is also another NEW form of acne for me that didn't start developing until over a year ago. This is very much so based on foods that I eat, and the ones that give it me are Almonds, and their associated fruits. Other nuts may also do this to me, but I'm not certain.

Neck Acne - High Fructose Corn Syrup and other added sugars that are based on fructose.

Upper Body Acne - Everything I eat can cause a breakout on my body, but usually I breakout on my face or other areas before I will on my chest & back if I do something I shouldn't. I do recall clearing up more so once I eliminated almonds and other nuts on my back though (those stubborn cysts went away).

Lower Body Acne - Again this is a NEW type of acne and it occurs primarily on my lower arms, sometimes bum, and rarely on the legs. I believe this is also due to me stilll having Candida (according to the spit test) and it only happens when I do "something". Again that something may be too much added sugar or natural sugar, as it's very sporadic, but it does seem to pop up when I consume too much table sugar.

Under Arm Acne - Cystic acne that was something that used to happen to me quite frequently until I guess I changed my deodorant or went on Spironolactone 6 years ago. However the last time I had one of these breakouts was when I had changed my diet and was messing around eating bananas and I brokeout under my arms. I stopped eating the bananas and I haven't had one since.

Forehead & Chin Acne - due to eating nuts & fructose sweeteners

Other acne - I breakout elsehwere on my face like my eyebrows, cheeks, sides of face, but those areas are harder to pinpoint. I think it's just due to added sugars because sometimes they are sugar pimples, and fructose because sometimes they are cysts and whatever else.

Pores - no acne here, but my pore size and the hairs that grow from them are affected by Trans Fat Consumption. I rarely got blackheads and so when I started seeing them more often AFTER changing my diet I wondered what I was doing. Well I was eating more trans fats than before because I was eating microwavable butter popcorn, packaged foods (that were thought to be safe), etc. Once I stopped, the pores shrank considerably and those new hairs started to fall out or existing hairs would sometimes thin out.

Obviously, there's still somethings I need to figure out as I'm only 99% clear, which is a HUGE amazing improvement. That 1% could be due to anything, including possibly just the candida I've still got in my system. Of course, I think it's great that I'm able to pinpoint what certain foods to do me, but anyone thinking about these diets would be better off creating a food dairy as sometimes it can be confusing. After all, documenting your changes & observations is the scientific way biggrin.gif

#19 xmarysue

xmarysue

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:08 AM

i just wanted to report back as promised - day 4 after the scrumptious brownie and ice cream and i awoke with a sore, red spot on my chin and a smaller one on my cheek. hopefully they'll only last 2-3 days and there aren't more to come!
the dessert consisted of sugar, dairy and wheat (the flour in the brownie mix was wheat, and whey was also listed on the ingredients)... so my experimented targed all three food groups i'm avoiding.

#20 ndmgal

ndmgal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2005 - 12:11 PM

if i forget to take my birth control pill for a one or two days, Ill know the next day. That's weird bananas DO make me breakout, and so does yogurt. I always thought yogurt was good for you tho.