Photo

Free (ish) Scar Treatment!! (Vinegar and Lemon Method)

red mark makeup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1572 replies to this topic

#1 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2003 - 02:23 PM

I am editing here on the 1st of April 2004 - because this thread has got so long!!!

In SUMMARY - the HOW TO is as follows:

VINEGAR: Use diluted Apple Cider Vinegar - 1 part vinegar, 2 parts water (you CAN use it neat but some people may not be able to tolerate it... and you can dilute it more if you are very sensitive). Mix up a supply in a bottle and apply to your face buy gently rubbing it into your face/or use a cotton pad - no need to wash off. Do this morning and night (or more if you have the time)

Do it after cleansing your face and before other topicals.

You can still use your normal topicals! If you're using BP, retin-a etc.. do it after the vinegar.

LEMON: Every day, drink 8 glasses of water - in EACH glass of water, add half a teaspoon of lemon juice. (You can make up a daily supply by adding the lemon juice to large bottles of water)

The theory of this method is that the malic acid in the vinegar gently exfoliates your skin and may help with some indented scarring - also softens the skin and helps with acne (as vinegar helps to restore PH levels)

The lemon water gently flushes toxins out of your body throughout the day, which helps with acne. It is not to do with the Vit C content (there is not enough Vit C in a lemon to make the difference)

Overall, I would say this helps with red marks, acne and very shallow indents, but you must give it a couple of months for improvements.

Good luck!! biggrin.png

Maya

P.S. I do NOT recommend Accutane users try this for at least 6 months after you stop medication.

...................................................................................................

I go to college 1 day a week - there's this girl in my class who I first met 6 months ago. When I first saw her, she had very bad rolling scars (orange peel effect) all over her cheeks.

Over the past 2/3 months, each week I have seen her, her scars looked much improved. Today, I noticed that her rolling scars have had around 70% improvement - really amazing. I was thinking that she must've been getting N-Lite or something like that.

Also, her pigmentation (red/brown marks) have nearly all gone!

Just so happens that I was alone with her today and I asked her what she had been doing to her face...

The following shocked me..

She said she had read in an old scar treatment book in the library to:
1. Drink either lemon barley water or water with a little lemon juice all day long
2. To use any diluted vinegar in warm water to splash onto the face day and night.

She doesn't take any supplements or use moisterisers or any makeup.

I am kind of shocked at the improvement.

Definately worth a try. Will cost you a couple of lemons a week and 1 bottle of any type of vinegar.

70% improvement of her rolling scars in 3 months shock.gif

#2 FrankY

FrankY

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 25
About Me

Posted 01 May 2003 - 02:32 PM

Maya....!!!! OMG!!!

I was drinking literally 8 - 10 bottles of water with lemon juice in them a day about 3 months ago and I noticed my sking looked a lot better - and then I stopped for some odd reason - welp, I guess it's time to start up again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2003 - 02:36 PM

Yeah Frank - same thing happened to me - actually, I was drinking this diluted lemon juice that helped clear up acne for me a year ago - I don't know why I stopped either.. but try the vinegar treatment too - nothing to loose and really, her scars looked so gone!!

I am definately going shopping for lemons in the morning - and my kitchen vinegar is moving to the bedroom!

#4 dodgy skin

dodgy skin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2003 - 05:33 PM

what lemon juice should we use ???

#5 Rive

Rive

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2003 - 05:51 PM

Question - Does this help with red marks at all, or just with indented scars? Can I just use lemon juice from a bottle, as opposed to actual lemons? Also, how much lemon juice should we put in, about?

Rive

#6 enigma

enigma

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2003 - 07:41 PM

hi there
veri interested in what you guys /gals are idsucssing here
may i know whether it has to be fresh lemon juice or any type of lemon juice?

wayne

#7 max5558

max5558

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2003 - 07:43 PM

o great, i'll expect a shortage of lemons at the supermarket tomorrow!

I think i'll use vodka instead of water though!

#8 who_me?

who_me?

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2003 - 01:15 AM

the improvements probly due to the large amounts of vitamin c shes getting from all the lemon juice thats helping the scars to heal

#9 will205

will205

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2003 - 08:30 AM

How old was she and how old were her scars?

My scar is deep and well held down and has pretty much stayed the same for over 5 years. What's drinking lemon juice going to do - Break down the scar tissue and promote collagen growth?

Maybe you were confusing her acne for scarring. Acne can look like scarring but in fact it isn't. Once the acne and redness goes (6 months you said) then your face can look completely different.

I had acne, cysts etc for 6-12 months i used nothing except minomycin and the sun to get rid of it. 7 months later after my breakout i thought my face was healed and i look at my face side on in a car window with the sun shining on my face. I mean i really looked 5 mins or so and i noticed pits and bumps and scarring. I was devastated. 8 years on and i look in the car window with the sun on my face and my face is completely smooth and indent free.

As i said i reckon you're mistaken in what you saw. Lighting and shadows convinced you into thinking she had scarring but in fact she didn't. To look at her face for a long period of time is rude and i doubt you did this, so you could not measure the true situation.

I have heard lemon juice rubbed on your face is good for redness and acne but i have never heard that it can reduce the appearance of scars. I know nothing of vinegar on scarring except that they have used it on bluebottle stings. However they now use plain water instead of this at the beaches in my country.

#10 yo

yo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2003 - 01:05 PM

I like the definition of her scarring... orange peel! That's how mine is a little bit! :P

ANYWAY... definitely going to become best friends with water/lemon juice (and oh, how I HATE water :( - gag) BUT want to know about the vinegar thing! Where would that fit in with the BP etc. regimin? Or is it in place of it? I am kind of reducing the amount of BP I am using now anyway and using Sudocream in it's place but I just wanted to know when you use the vinegar/water combo.. before or after moisturising... ETC.

Thanks!

#11 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2003 - 01:23 PM

Well, around a year ago, I was still getting big cystic acne and i came across a book on the internet and it recommended drinking very diluted lemon juice - like half a teaspoon of lemon juice to a full glass of water - drink this all day (like 8 glasses) - I lemon a day should be more than enough for 1-2 days. I did this for a few months and the cysts definately cleared - haven't had a cyst since - although I still get a few little spots if I'm stressed.

Any lemon juice should be OK - I just got a lemon and squeezed it - but I guess you can get some ready squeezed (organic is best - you don't want any artificial stuff in it really).

Somehow, it just flushed all the toxins out. I've started on this again now.

Will205 - This girl is around 30 - she only got cystic acne after the birth of her daughter (she puts it down to stress, she was in a very abusive relationship at the time too) - I have never seen her with acne, her acne cleared up several years ago. I have only known her for the past 6 months or so and she only had scarring in the time I have known her. She said her scars were around 5 years old. If you take a look at Tamara's/Ourfans scarring on the subcision thread, hers were worse - but similar types of scars - rolling/orange peel ones. I definately know the difference between acne and scarring!

As i said i reckon you're mistaken in what you saw. Lighting and shadows convinced you into thinking she had scarring but in fact she didn't. To look at her face for a long period of time is rude and i doubt you did this, so you could not measure the true situation.

Will - The course I and this girl are on is an advanced counselling skills course - we always look at people - it is part of the skills we learn in counselling - body language and eye contact is essential - so looking at someone on my course is no problem. We are both qualified counsellors.

I dabbed some malt vinegar (the stuff you put on chips/french fries) on my face tonight after cleansing (I was too lazy to dilute it) and it stung - but my skin suddenly feels very soft - it will be interesting to see what the results are over a few weeks.

I guess it's best to do the vinegar thing before other topicals/moisterisers.

My scars are not the same as hers, mine are pits/picks - but it's cheap and worth a try.

#12 freedom

freedom

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2003 - 04:19 PM

Questions:
Were her scars pitted like large pore-ish looking scars?
What is lemon barley?
How long had she been using this method until she noticed results?

My skin is too sensitive right now to use vinegar-do you think this would work without it?

Thanks for posting about this treatment, you never know what might work!

#13 OursFan

OursFan

~ Tamara

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2003 - 04:25 PM

Maya - Who's scars were worse, mine or her's? Just want to know if it's something that might work for me as well....
I also don't know what lemon barley is.
Weird that she said diluted vinegar -- that is exactly what my Dermatologist who did my laser surgery years ago insisted that I wash my face with after the procedure. For some odd reason I stopped but you know my face looked much nicer in using the vinegar.
One last question.... Where did she find out about this approach to scar reduction? Thanks! :P

#14 freedom

freedom

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2003 - 04:30 PM

oursfan,
where is your photo posted?

#15 OursFan

OursFan

~ Tamara

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2003 - 04:35 PM

The photos are here: http://www.tamaramad...n/Subcision.htm

#16 Rive

Rive

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2003 - 05:10 PM

How much vinegar exactly should you use? I'm a bit confused on that part.. You pour a bottle of water and put vinegar in it, using it as a face wash?

#17 freedom

freedom

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2003 - 05:19 PM

thanks for the link.
Maya I didnt think the type of scars that oursfan has are classified as "orange peel", from what I understand lots of pitted scars (or enlarged pores ) over a large area of skin is what doctors call "orange peel" skin.
I could be wrong.

Anyone else? I wish we could all agree on the names of our scars.

#18 monkeychee

monkeychee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2003 - 05:52 PM

I had acne, cysts etc for 6-12 months i used nothing except minomycin and the sun to get rid of it. 7 months later after my breakout i thought my face was healed and i look at my face side on in a car window with the sun shining on my face. I mean i really looked 5 mins or so and i noticed pits and bumps and scarring. I was devastated. 8 years on and i look in the car window with the sun on my face and my face is completely smooth and indent free.  

Will--how did you manage to get smooth indent free skin? Tell us how!

:P

#19 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2003 - 11:42 PM

Tamara - her scars were worse than yours. And her face has plumped out so much!! She has been doing the topical vinegar treatment for 4 months and internal lemon juice for longer than that. She said that she saw this treatment in a book she saw in the library - some old book with traditional remedies in it.

Freedom - I think the lemon drink is to flush out toxins, but it's the vinegar that helps with the scarring.

Lemon Barley is a type of soft drink/squash - that you dilute with water - In the UK it's very popular, the brand is Robinsons and you can get it from any supermarket/food store. I took a look at the ingredients of it yesterday when I bought a bottle - it had a lot of sugar, 17% lemon juice and 2.5% barley flour.. saying that, I think just internal diluted lemon/water is all that's needed.

I applied neat vinegar onto my face last night and this morning - a little stinging for 20 seconds or so - my guess is that vinegar works like a fruit acid - since vinegar is made from grapes, it must have some healing properties. Grape seed extract is meant to be very good - vinegar is just a cheap option and it's very pure.

I guess you could just put of few drops of vinegar into you hand and a little water, but i just thought it was easier applying it neat with a cotton wool ball.

My skin feels extremely soft - quite amazing!! It's great for oil reduction too!

#20 yo

yo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 May 2003 - 04:37 AM

Hey there...
I like to check things out before putting them on my face and so looked up vinegar on the internet... and came across an interesting site/page (actually I came across a few but this explained it better) about all it's benefits and you are right, Maya, it does work very much like Alpha Hydroxy products.. causing your dead skin to flake off... and this lady also claims that it can combat deep down acne, like cysts, by using it with a combination of vinegar, water and asprins! :( Her 70 year old father also uses it 'straight' as after-shave and has good skin, as well as using it for pimples and rashes.

It also seems it acts a bit like the Vitamin K stuff as it can be used on veins and age spots (which Vitamin K is also used for)... and I would think that if it can fade age spots it can fade acne marks.

SO, all in all it sounds like a good thing to do, whether used diluted or not. My poor husband- having to be with a woman who smells like chips and puts sellotape on her skin :P ! Oh well, let's hope it's all worth it!

If you want to check it out yourselves: http://frugalliving....y/blvinegar.htm and then just click on personal care.