Photo
- - - - -

Nutritional and Holistic advice for Body Acne

vitamin e beta carotene chromium fish oil zinc probiotic aha alpha hydroxy acid red mark

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
60 replies to this topic

#41 wildfun

wildfun

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:41 AM

QUOTE (Miss Bennet @ May 30 2009, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also heard something about soy and acne... I think that it has a lot of sugar in it or something. I might be wrong, but doing some research about it and cutting out might help.

It isn't anything to do with sugar, soy naturally has phytoestrogens in it. It can aggravate acne in some people (myself included if I eat a lot of tofu or drink too much soymilk) because it can mess with your hormone levels. However, it has also been cited to help acne for some as well, it really depends on what type of acne you have and if hormones play a role it in or not. Birth control that was supposed to help acne never worked for me, everyone is different. The benefits of soy are really exaggerated though, and there have been potential dangers with consuming too much as well, like breast cancer.

This is actually the same reason that dairy products can wreck havoc on certain people's skin, but due to a different hormone. Milk has androgen hormones in it, which has a definite link to acne. While soy will have mixed results in how it effects your skin, I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who needed more testosterone for their acne. (Testosterone is an androgen hormone, and why steroid users get bad skin).

Cutting out dairy cleared up my face 90%+ I used to consume quite a lot of it, I cut it out before making other dietary changes so I am certain it was the dairy. Dr. Bronner's soap instead of the usual chemical crap also helped. I cleared up in about 2 weeks or so. Right now I have 1 new zit on my jawline but thats pretty spectacular for me. I am now also meat free, and refined, processed food free, so no wheat or sugar. It basically translates to a vegan diet, with limited soy. (I made these changes specifically to clear up my skin). It is not too difficult for me because I was strict vegetarian before and love to cook. I use hemp milk, I like the taste and it's better for you. While my face is great now, my bacne is still being stubborn. I'm not even sure if its bacne anymore, but there has been slight improvements.

For reference my acne was mild on my face but moderate/very painful on my jawline. My bacne is still moderate but lately has been a bit less painful and scarring, but I don't want to jinx myself!

I take vitamins when I can remember, mostly zinc and b vitamins, probiotics too. I think I will try to take them regularly and add some vitamin c and selenium. I'll be sure to update with any improvements. It's nice to see more people making the link to possibly dietary causes and trying a natural approach. Not that I care if you take accutane or something, it's just encouraging seeing I'm not alone in my hippie endeavors!

Good luck everyone! smile.gif

-Jo

#42 Kaya

Kaya

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:09 PM

I'm confused about the cleanser/soap part. I always understood the difference between cleansers and soaps to be that soap is saponified fat (usually that means an oil mixed with lye), and a cleanser is anything else (like sodium loreth/lorel sulfate, and some similar chemicals used in shampoos that advertise themselves as having no sodium sulfates). Cleansers can have any weird chemical ever in them; pure castile soap (that is, saponified olive oil and as little else as possible) is, to the best of my knowledge, the gentlest cleaning agent known to man.

The first post says that we should avoid soaps because they can irritate skin, and to use cleansers instead. Then, and this is where I got really confused, it also suggested as a cleanser...a castile bar. "Castile" means pure olive oil soap.

So one of us has the soap/cleanser thing backwards.

My guesses as to why soap would irritate someone's skin: it's made of an oil they're allergic to, it has added fragrances they're allergic to, it's a commercial soap that's had the glycerin taken out (that would make it a lot more drying and less moisturizing, in the same way as acne soaps seem to be in my limited experience), or while it's labeled as "soap" it's still mostly cleansers.

This is mostly based on time I've spent reading soapmaking and diy skincare sites, not on a chemistry background or anything, so I'm asking as much to fill gaps in my knowledge as because the first post doesn't match what I know.

#43 RadAndRandom

RadAndRandom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:32 PM

Hey all.
I also a victim of acne, and I've tried so many things! I can't use BP or Salycilic acid because it aggrivates my skin and makes it peel horribly!
I'm too scared to use Accutane because of the side effects. and so I truned to a more natural remedy. I bought Acnepril.
I'm halfway through my first Acnepril bottle, and I think my skin's improvement is the result of using Acnepril. The thing is, my acne was getting so severe that I was desperate for any advice. After reading up online on what's best, I bought Acnepril and I read that dairy, bread products, and sugar worsen skin.
So, starting the very day I read that, I also changed my diet. About a week later, the bottle of Acnepril arrived, and I began using it right away, starting with 2 and gradually going up to 4 daily. So I've been like this for about a month now, and my skin is getting better. I just don't know what to thank for it now- my diet or Acnepril.
I haven't been fully consistent with the diet though (it's so hard!) and I noticed that my first few weeks, I had better result than I do now. I was strict on myself at first, drinking fruit smoothies instead of eating sweets like candy, and replacing regular milk with soy. Now, I tend to allow myself an occasional sandwhich, cereal, or donut. Therefore, my skin is not as great as it looked the first two weeks of using Acnepril & dieting. Oops.
Well, whichever it is, I'm still glad that my skin is not the same as it was when I first began.
eusa_dance.gif

#44 Kalvyn

Kalvyn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:21 AM

I would have to agree that dietary modification does help with acne treatment.

I had always been a heavy milk drinker (5-6 cups a day) until 12th grade, when my acne started to worsen, so I stopped drinking milk and it generally helped my acne decrease. Over the next year, my acne waxed and waned periodically, however, never really that severely. About a year and a half ago, I had minor acne. I had a pretty active sex life, and I wasn't concerned about hormones being a major cause of acne (in fact, my acne seemed to be receding to nothing at this point in time, much to my surprise). Then, I started working at Starbucks during first fall semester of Uni...and caffeine and milk entered my life once again... 10 months of hell for my skin (I didn't think that this could be related to coffee, but next to alcohol, this was the only major addition to my diet). My back had several cysts at a time, my neck was covered with fields of blackheads and nodules. My face, neck and back now have several ice pick scars and alot of basin scars. This was the worst time I had ever had with acne in my life.

4 months ago, I cut out milk again and changed my diet, cutting out coffee (the capuccinno machine broke) and reducing meat. A good idea. Acne started receding again, much to my surprise, to the point where my skin was very clear and I was going to get some scar treatment done, until I abandoned this diet a month ago (I had thought it would continue receding, despite dietary change). Then bam. What a stupid idea. My face, arms and neck are now swarming with nodules and cysts. I'm considering taking accutane now, my acne is that severe, and I'm so sick of it. I don't want another 10 months of hell due to my diet. However Alberta healthcare is absolutely ridiculous and an appointment for an accutane prescription is anywhere between 6 - 8 months away. I'm already getting scarring everywhere. EVERYWHERE.

So I'm going back on this diet. Cutting out milk and meat is a difficult choice for me actually, but since it may help prevent my acne, so be it. I'm also considering completely cutting out alcohol, as that seems to exacerbate it quite a bit (those 10 months were also filled with alot of drinking, a factor which may be related). I might go as far to say that alcohol is generally mixed with alot of sugar, and itself leads to high blood sugar levels. It seems then that I'll be a health nut, while I wait for this appointment.

Edited by Kalvyn, 14 November 2009 - 01:26 AM.

#45 Rose 0913

Rose 0913

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:26 PM

Hey Kalvyn, you are like me and is sensitive to dairy and caffeine. I think it's a good idea to cut that out in your life. However, I don't think you need to cut out meat, just red meat. I think chicken, turkey and fish is fine. Also, you may want to consider eliminating wheat/gluten products since I have researched that these products are the main cause for acne.

As for me, I'm quitting the dairy products (never liked milk anyway) as well as caffeine and wheat/gluten products, which will be extremley hard but I know will eliminate my acne.

GOOD LUCK!!! smile.gif

QUOTE (Kalvyn @ Nov 14 2009, 03:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would have to agree that dietary modification does help with acne treatment.

I had always been a heavy milk drinker (5-6 cups a day) until 12th grade, when my acne started to worsen, so I stopped drinking milk and it generally helped my acne decrease. Over the next year, my acne waxed and waned periodically, however, never really that severely. About a year and a half ago, I had minor acne. I had a pretty active sex life, and I wasn't concerned about hormones being a major cause of acne (in fact, my acne seemed to be receding to nothing at this point in time, much to my surprise). Then, I started working at Starbucks during first fall semester of Uni...and caffeine and milk entered my life once again... 10 months of hell for my skin (I didn't think that this could be related to coffee, but next to alcohol, this was the only major addition to my diet). My back had several cysts at a time, my neck was covered with fields of blackheads and nodules. My face, neck and back now have several ice pick scars and alot of basin scars. This was the worst time I had ever had with acne in my life.

4 months ago, I cut out milk again and changed my diet, cutting out coffee (the capuccinno machine broke) and reducing meat. A good idea. Acne started receding again, much to my surprise, to the point where my skin was very clear and I was going to get some scar treatment done, until I abandoned this diet a month ago (I had thought it would continue receding, despite dietary change). Then bam. What a stupid idea. My face, arms and neck are now swarming with nodules and cysts. I'm considering taking accutane now, my acne is that severe, and I'm so sick of it. I don't want another 10 months of hell due to my diet. However Alberta healthcare is absolutely ridiculous and an appointment for an accutane prescription is anywhere between 6 - 8 months away. I'm already getting scarring everywhere. EVERYWHERE.

So I'm going back on this diet. Cutting out milk and meat is a difficult choice for me actually, but since it may help prevent my acne, so be it. I'm also considering completely cutting out alcohol, as that seems to exacerbate it quite a bit (those 10 months were also filled with alot of drinking, a factor which may be related). I might go as far to say that alcohol is generally mixed with alot of sugar, and itself leads to high blood sugar levels. It seems then that I'll be a health nut, while I wait for this appointment.

#46 Jason Devans

Jason Devans

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:14 AM

best thing you can do for yourself is cut down on sweets! I noticed it immediately took away my acne within 60 days of cutting back on what i loved the most... and you know what ? it was worth it but I still bought tretinoin to do the trick for me smile.gif

#47 av3ragejoe

av3ragejoe

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:25 AM

Hi All,

I highly recommend not consuming any dairy products. If you must, have very little and steer well clear of cheese. I found cheese to be the worst for my condition and if I had any (any at all) I would get bad break outs.

I agree with trying to cut down on wheat, but I dont feel their is a need to cut it out completely. Things like wheat-bix that are particuarly strong in wheat I would avoid. I personally eat light-rye bread which is a mix of rye and wheat and is available everywhere (aldi, woolworths, coles etc..)

I also recommend taking viatmin supplements, I currently take a multi every day and fish oil 3 times a day. Vitamin C, Zinc are also a must.

Something you may not have come across.. Avoid Freeze dried coffee aka instant coffee, ... i dont know whats in it or if its just how it is made, but every time I have freeze dried coffee (instant coffee) i get break outs.

Following these steps, I have completely cleared my skin, and it is very very rare for me to get a break out (usually when i get cravings for dairy tongue.gif ).

P.S. use isocol rubbing alcohol each night before bed, its the best !

Cheers,

Avg Joe

#48 betsysmith

betsysmith

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:37 AM

I appreciate all the expertise shared. It’s definitely been trial and error for me to know what works for me. I suffer from body acne, that’s why I always try to gather acne related information. Recently I read an acne treatment blog on I found it very informative.

#49 Dreamlify

Dreamlify

WishToBeClear

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:24 PM

I not sure if you guys are aware that seaweed do wonders to skin, especially to oily, dry and sensitive skin.

Here is a website i wish to share, summarised:

http://earthlydeligh...eed_to_the_Skin
[sig-img:580]

People says beauty is only skin deep,
looks can be deceiving,
but forgotten that most people are just this shallow.

"People who bother, doesn't matters. People who matters, doesn't bother." :)

#50 Lady Katie

Lady Katie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

I am vegan and have read many vegan books. You do not need milk. We are the only species who drink milk as grown-ups. A lot of people experience weight-loss and better looking skin after giving up dairy.

#51 Mike1987

Mike1987

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:03 AM

That's really nice information. I really like that.

| |

#52 Guest_davidtheskinking_*

Guest_davidtheskinking_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (The Tribesâ„¢ @ Jul 11 2006, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hell, i'm sure building a country would be easier than following this regimen... and we need milk to survive, bro.

You don't need milk to survive, where did you hear that?

#53 vladereign

vladereign

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:16 PM

Cut out dairy and red meat

I need to cut that habbit

#54 richardgleaton

richardgleaton

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:54 AM

Glad to read your thread..Nice information which is worth to read.. Drink warm water with lemon juice added at the starting of the day makes you fresh throughout the day....

#55 RoninDelaware

RoninDelaware

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

I used to get those big cysts on my neck about the size of a quarter. Tried everything , and was on high anti biotics for months- Actually made it worse. Read an article on Candida intestinal yeast infections and started taking 4 liquid capsules of pure virgin coconut oil a day for a few months.. It has anti fungal properties. IT Worked !!!!

Another thing I did was build up my friendly bacteria in my gut with PROBIOTICS. I used MERCOLA .COM. These little guys keep the yeast at a normal level. Overuse of anti-biotics killed off the bad AND THE GOOD BACTERIA- so now ya gotta throw the good BACK IN THERE !! Another good safe trick to try is 600-900 mg of GARLIC pills- unless you like fresh hot garlic in your mouth.

Still had moderate acne and backne, after cysts were gone. 100mg Vitamin b-5 or PANTOTHENIC ACID for 6 months, took care of the REST OF THE ACNE ALL OVER MY BODY ,by re-balancing my hormones. Seemed to me 2 different types and not both connected at all. Best of Luck. if it works for you ; pass on the trick to another one who needs it !!

#56 MarijaGre

MarijaGre

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:01 PM

Well, Brewer's yeast internally help you to increase your immune system, and so - to better fight the bacteria. I'm using it for 3 months, but don't know which product really helped me - zinc, brewer's yeast, evening primrose oil, duac or differin. It's just that I think that combining few things is much more better than using something alone.

#57 greenkid

greenkid

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

I haven't eaten dairy in about a week and a half to two weeks now. My acne really hasn't improved and I could kill for some pizza right about now. What do you think I should do?

#58 Netizen Kbn

Netizen Kbn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

Hello, everyone.

I had a very bad experience with acne.
I can't explain the horrible experiences that I experienced.
Over the years I have made it easy and would like to share the secrets with you.
Just click on http://www.acney.org to know how you can treat any acne with great ease.
Posted Image
Thanks
Netizen

#59 rocknrolloff

rocknrolloff

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE(The Tribesâ„¢ @ Jul 11 2006, 06:44 PM) View Post

hell, i'm sure building a country would be easier than following this regimen... and we need milk to survive, bro.

I'm sure it all depends upon just how bad you want to get rid of your acne. If it really doesnt bother you enough to change your lifestyle, then don't change. Simple as that. And there are plenty of people out there who don't consume milk and live very healthily. Actually, 70% of the population SHOULDNT consume milk, because they are either lactose intolerant or allergic. I haven't consumed milk for nearly a year now. I'm healthier than I have ever been. You are foolish to believe milk is a necessary food. Seek knowledge and you shall find power.

What is your regime? I also do not drink milk, but from time to time if i am not at a starbucks i get coffee with cream.

Nutritional and Holistic tips for combatting Body acne
CAN BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH DAN'S BP/AHA REGIMEN!

After several instances of repeating myself in other threads, I decided to make a definitive thread of my advice for body acne sufferers - the following tips have helped me considerably with my body acne, and hopefully some of you may find they help, too.
Just to clarify - you don't need to do all the things I recommend at once! You could just try each thing for a few weeks to see if there is any improvement.

Disclaimer: Acne.org does not endorse any of the following products or regimens

Dietary and internal cleansing advice

- Cut out dairy and red meat - this really helped with my body acne. I'd recommend you try avoiding all forms of dairy completely for at least 3 weeks to see if there is an improvement. You can replace dairy milk with rice milk in cereals and drinks.

- Drink warm water with lemon juice added throughout the day. Try using up the juice of one whole lemon each day, in about 10 glasses of water. This will help cleanse your liver of skin-harming toxins, as well as helping to reduce inflammation.

- Cut out all wheat products - this can be more difficult. You could try and avoid all forms of wheat pasta, wheat bread, pizza, biscuits etc, anything containing wheat, for 3 weeks again, to see if there is any improvement. It IS difficult, but there are alternatives, and it would only be for 3 weeks, unless you do find it has an effect, in which case I don't think cutting those things out would be too much of a sacrifice.

-Cut out refined sugar. This isn't too difficult if you avoid chocolate, sweets, soft drinks etc. If you don't want to do this, then taking a supplement of chromium GTF can help, if sensitivity to sugar is the thing that's affecting you.

-Try some of the following supplements. They can be effective in combatting acne and increasing your healing capacities:
-Zinc[ (75mg/day),
- Vitamin C (2000mg/day),
- B complex (100mg/day),
-Beta Carotene (15,000ug/day),
-vitamin E (400IU/day),
-propolis (1000mg/day),
-acidophilus/probiotics (1 capsule containing 5+billion/day)
(I've put the ones in bold that I think would be most helpful)

I recommend searching the catalogues at www.iherb.com, Victoria Health and/or Biocarefor your supplements - they are usually reasonably cheap and excellent quality.

Taking essential fatty acids such as Flax oil or fish oil may have a balancing effect on your hormones, also. Healthyandessential.com do a great range of these.

If none of the above help, at all, you could possibly look into undergoing colonic hydrotherapy at a naturopathy clinic - this is extremely cleansing to your digestive system, which can have dramatic effects on your acne.

Topicals advice

CleanserYou could try washing with a very mild cleansing bar, as soap and supposed 'acne cleansers' can sometimes aggravate the skin further. Puredeming's castille bar is very good.

Antibacterial agent If BP is not working particularly well for you, you might like to look into the Manuka oil and honey antiseptic gel that Living Nature do - manuka oil is a strong antibacterial agent, and can be even more potent against p.acnes bacteria than tea tree oil. I find the gel to be very soothing to the skin.

Moisturiser Nature's Gift do an EXCELLENT essential oil mix, called clarifying synergy, which you can combine with hazelnut oil to make a calming antibacterial moisturiser.

Using a body-beautifying oil such as hazelnut, emu, jojoba or coconut will help moisturise your skin without clogging pores, and will help to reduce redness.

Other treatments

Try bathing every other day in a bath to which you have added a few drops of manuka/tea tree oil, a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, and 2 tablespoons of unrefined sea salt. This will help to soothe your acne and will ensure maximum absorption.

You may want to look into weekly lactic acid peels. This can help to remove dead skin cells, dirt, and other factors that may clog pores. It can also help fade red marks and shallow scarring. Good suppliers include: Puredeming and Loganwood skincare

I hope some of this may be helpful. Good luck and just PM me if you need any info or advice on anything I've suggested or anything else!

Best Wishes,
Paul
style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

what is the propolis used for? out of all the supplements listed above which are the top 3 ones to include in ones diet? And by wheat did you mean bleached processed grains like white sugar and white carbs or both?

#60 allrighty

allrighty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:33 PM

I eat healthy.....and use goats milk soap for the body acne, soon cleared it up.