Photo
- - - - -

Nutritional and Holistic advice for Body Acne

vitamin e beta carotene chromium fish oil zinc probiotic aha alpha hydroxy acid red mark

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
60 replies to this topic

#21 lilpuss

lilpuss

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE(The Tribesâ„¢ @ Jul 11 2006, 10:44 PM) View Post

hell, i'm sure building a country would be easier than following this regimen... and we need milk to survive, bro.

Actually, no, we don't need milk to survive. Do you have evidence for that?

We are the only species in the world that takes milk from another. Milk is only meant for the first few years of our life.

Soy milk can be used as a replacement, for a source of calcium. And is a lot healthier compared to cow's milk anyway.

#22 grapefruit

grapefruit

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:38 AM

Humans naturally wouldn't consume milk after they're grown and off breast milk, but this thread bummed me out big time. I'm trying to clear up my skin and continue to get in shape for summer, but without milk, meat, wheat bread and bagels I'd be unable to provide my body with the energy I need to get any healthy results from the gym at all...

#23 Incubus77

Incubus77

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:52 AM

i have a vitiman/herb/oil/soap shop like a block away from my house. this will be easy for me. idk why but i like rice milk

QUOTE(grapefruit @ Mar 20 2007, 09:38 AM) View Post
Humans naturally wouldn't consume milk after they're grown and off breast milk, but this thread bummed me out big time. I'm trying to clear up my skin and continue to get in shape for summer, but without milk, meat, wheat bread and bagels I'd be unable to provide my body with the energy I need to get any healthy results from the gym at all...

then just take the vitimans and other stuff you should still see an improvment

#24 talonsnheath3320

talonsnheath3320

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:04 PM

something else topical to use is vinegar. I was looking up cures for acne/bacne online and it said to use vinegar. It has worked well so far. It doesn't matter what vinegar you use any kind will work. The smell isn't the best when you first put it on but you can't smell it through clothes. Hope this works for ya!! surprised.gif

#25 Incubus77

Incubus77

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:40 AM

for fish oil supplements, how much should i take, like how many milligrams?

#26 Incubus77

Incubus77

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 23
About Me

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:45 PM

i just picked up some acidophilus/probiotics. it says it has 40 million live cells per serving and a serving is two pills. is this enough?

#27 Release the Stars

Release the Stars

Russ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:56 AM

I stopped eating wheat and my 5 year acne battle was over. Not only that but my skin isnt oily anymore, and the only thing i did differently was exercise and cut out wheat!

#28 positive420

positive420

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 25 May 2008 - 01:38 PM

I stopped eating meat about 3 years ago and the mild case of back acne turned severe. I eat lots of flaxseeds,almonds, and avocados and I thought thats what was causing the problem. My dermatologist said that diet has nothing to do with acne and to eat anything I want. Yet everytime I cut back on almonds and avocados my acne gets a little better. The problem is I love almonds and avocados plus they are a great source of protien. I read that science can't prove that diet contributes to acne but also read that certain foods don't cause acne but can make existing acne worse. The dermatologist perscibed me Doxy, a BP wash and .25% Isotretinion. The .25 Isotretion absolutely kicks ass on existing breakouts but does'nt stop new ones(plus it cost my no insurance having budget an arm and a leg) Doxy only helped the first 2 weeks and failed after that, plus I hate pills with a passion. Blue U light therapy was recommended by the derm (or shoud I say nurse) and cost $250 per session....How is a blue light gonna stop these breakouts? I need a second opinion, does anyone know of a really good dermatologist in San Francisco cause the one I go to now keeps on tryin to have his nurse deal with me instead of an actual dermatologist.

#29 Anne 1912

Anne 1912

Anne 1912

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:10 PM

I didn't really read everything that was written (I've got stuff to do) but as far as nutritional stuff that it's a good idea to AVOID, frenchfries and hashbrowns and stuff like that are majorly bad for your skin. I know *tear*. Just sitting watching all my friends chow down on A&W fries while I eat carrot stick is pretty sad, but it's soooooo worth it. Although I really only suggest this to people with mild acne. People who get a lot in the first place probably won't notice a very big difference.

#30 Anne 1912

Anne 1912

Anne 1912

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:21 PM

I also wanted to mention that water is a major factor in skins appearance. I read somewhere that if you warm it up and add lemon it helps. I don't know about that, I think temperature is probably like totally irrelevent. But what ev. I try and drink like two litres a day, and it does make a difference.

#31 danielguru

danielguru

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2008 - 01:24 PM

Warm water and lemon works well. I also reccomend a gentle natural laxative before bedtime.

#32 jokerj

jokerj

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE (positive420 @ May 25 2008, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I stopped eating meat about 3 years ago and the mild case of back acne turned severe. I eat lots of flaxseeds,almonds, and avocados and I thought thats what was causing the problem. My dermatologist said that diet has nothing to do with acne and to eat anything I want. Yet everytime I cut back on almonds and avocados my acne gets a little better. The problem is I love almonds and avocados plus they are a great source of protien. I read that science can't prove that diet contributes to acne but also read that certain foods don't cause acne but can make existing acne worse. The dermatologist perscibed me Doxy, a BP wash and .25% Isotretinion. The .25 Isotretion absolutely kicks ass on existing breakouts but does'nt stop new ones(plus it cost my no insurance having budget an arm and a leg) Doxy only helped the first 2 weeks and failed after that, plus I hate pills with a passion. Blue U light therapy was recommended by the derm (or shoud I say nurse) and cost $250 per session....How is a blue light gonna stop these breakouts? I need a second opinion, does anyone know of a really good dermatologist in San Francisco cause the one I go to now keeps on tryin to have his nurse deal with me instead of an actual dermatologist.

correct me if im wrong- but you said cutting meat out actually worsened your acne?
im a vegetarian so i was just curious

#33 CanadianJane123

CanadianJane123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:12 PM

I have a question.

Why is it that a lot of people such as my friends can eat all of these things and have the nicest, clearest skin, where as acne sufferers such as myself get affected by these foods??

Its really frustrating for me to see my friends who smoke and eat all the junk they want but still have the clearest skin, and I have to watch everything I eat sad.gif

#34 Way2Old

Way2Old

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:29 AM

After 20 years of combatting body acne using every topical cream on the planet, I finally took a different approach and focused on the cause and not the symptom. I started taking a multivitamin and addtional vitamin A supplements about three months ago. I haven't changed anything else. No acne since. I have also stopped using the regime.

Stop wasting your money on creams to treat the symptom. Focus on the cause.

-Scott

#35 White Fox

White Fox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (Way2Old @ Sep 17 2008, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After 20 years of combatting body acne using every topical cream on the planet, I finally took a different approach and focused on the cause and not the symptom. I started taking a multivitamin and addtional vitamin A supplements about three months ago. I haven't changed anything else. No acne since. I have also stopped using the regime.

Stop wasting your money on creams to treat the symptom. Focus on the cause.

-Scott

No offence, but I seriously doubt that taking a multivitamin and vitamin A supplement was the thing that cleared you up. It was probably due to the fact that you quit the regime that might have irritated your skin or that you simple outgrew it.

#36 Rasha19

Rasha19

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:48 AM

QUOTE (RAC3 @ Dec 3 2005, 12:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So glad I found some other people looking to cure this situation with more than just throwing drugs at it (sorry if that offends anyone). Anyway, here's my questions/thoughts:

So I opted to not go to the pharmacy with my accutane script because I was too scared and felt there had to be another way. I purchased the Nature's Way Thisilyn Cleanse, Green Vibrance, Dry Vitamin A, and and Super Antioxidant 10 by Country Life. I'm taking all these right now in trying to rid my body of toxins and what not, but I'm curious to know about the EFA's. I tried them for a short time last year, but got the runs quickly after I started taking them (also, I took coconut oil simultaneously). So anyway, I've got some of the cystic acne and the red spots just seem to stay red for a long while. So, should I take the EFA's again? Any other recommendations outside of the list just posted prior to mine? Thanks guys. I want to win here, but it takes a team to be victorious.

Hi how are you? I am new to this so forgive me if I am doing something wrong here!!! I am also at a loss as to whether I should take roaccutane or not!! I have tried everything, from topical treatments to antibiotics, and nothing helps!! Logically speaking if roaccutane reduces the sebascious gland production it means there will be less acne, but I am also worried that playing with the body in such an intrusive way will make me regret ever taking the drug!! The thing is, no matter what we do, the sebum will be produced and will not stop and it is the main cause of acne problems because of clogging it causes etc...sad.gif what do you mean by efa's?
Thank you.
Rasha

#37 einfo

einfo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:38 AM

good forum

#38 rd76

rd76

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:04 AM

Hi

I'm new to this website/forum and hoping to learn something. I have had severe acne for about 15 years and am still trying to find a cure. I took accutane twice once when I was 18 and again when i was 23, each time the acne cleared up completely for about a year then gradually got worse again. I used to smoke cigarettes and weed, but quit that two years ago, in part hoping it would help my acne - glad I quit, but no effect on the acne. Now I'm looking for a holistic approach - I m open to altering my diet, which is already pretty healthy: lots of organic fruits and vegetables, high fiber and whole grains with just a little meat and occasional sweets. Maybe i can cut out wheat, which some have suggested. I just ordered some omega-3 DHA/EPA and will add that plus a multivitamin (prob good even if it doesn't help the acne) I am also trying to learn about visualization and meditation techniques any suggestions there? Also, my brother has bad acne too, and I am trying to work with him beat this thing, he has tried the same things I have, except he still smokes and maybe doesn't eat as healthy as me, but like I said, those things haven't helped much.

#39 fbmbassist

fbmbassist

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (Rossignol @ Apr 8 2005, 07:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Nutritional and Holistic tips for combatting Body acne</span>
CAN BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH DAN'S BP/AHA REGIMEN!
...Moisturiser Nature's Gift do an EXCELLENT essential oil mix, called clarifying synergy, which you can combine with hazelnut oil to make a calming antibacterial moisturiser...

Nature's Gift rocks! I've used the clarifying synergy too and it definitely brings down inflammation, however I stopped using it because I didn't want to put it in a carrier oil anymore. I need to buy glycerin or aloe vera gel or something so it's an oil-free base.

I buy all of my essential oils, hydrosols, etc. from Nature's Gift or New Directions (wholesale). I trust Nature's Gift for quality, but sometimes the New Directions prices just can't be beat. One thing to watch out for: if you ever buy a "flower water", make sure it's actually a hydrosol (the distillate from the essential oil making process) NOT water mixed with a few drops essential oil. Nature's Gif sells hydrosols, New Directions sells flower water. Hydrosols are more expensive, but they're the good stuff. No sense in paying for plain water anyway.

By the way, I totally agree everything in Paul's post. I'm currently eliminating dairy and wheat (all gluten actually, such as Barely), lowering my sugar intake, and doing almost all of the stuff on that list and I'm noticing a significant difference. I'm also noticing what kind of acne I get from eating different food, and which acne comes from certain topicals. Acne really is a complex beast, so unless you're one of those lucky few, don't expect one change to get rid of it completely. It could be a combination of 3-5 things (e.g. hormones, stress, candida, food allergies, vitamin deficiency, picking face, sebum overload, cleanser/topical irritation, dirty pillowcase, no exercise, etc.).

I've noticed that most people on acne.org who healed their acne holistically had to make lifestyle changes that addressed several things on that list.

#40 Miss Bennet

Miss Bennet

Miss Bennet

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:19 AM

I also heard something about soy and acne... I think that it has a lot of sugar in it or something. I might be wrong, but doing some research about it and cutting out might help.