Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nutritional and Holistic advice for Body Acne

62 posts in this topic

for fish oil supplements, how much should i take, like how many milligrams?

i just picked up some acidophilus/probiotics. it says it has 40 million live cells per serving and a serving is two pills. is this enough?

I stopped eating wheat and my 5 year acne battle was over. Not only that but my skin isnt oily anymore, and the only thing i did differently was exercise and cut out wheat!

Drop the idea of becoming someone, because you are already a masterpiece.

[sig-img:241]

I stopped eating meat about 3 years ago and the mild case of back acne turned severe. I eat lots of flaxseeds,almonds, and avocados and I thought thats what was causing the problem. My dermatologist said that diet has nothing to do with acne and to eat anything I want. Yet everytime I cut back on almonds and avocados my acne gets a little better. The problem is I love almonds and avocados plus they are a great source of protien. I read that science can't prove that diet contributes to acne but also read that certain foods don't cause acne but can make existing acne worse. The dermatologist perscibed me Doxy, a BP wash and .25% Isotretinion. The .25 Isotretion absolutely kicks ass on existing breakouts but does'nt stop new ones(plus it cost my no insurance having budget an arm and a leg) Doxy only helped the first 2 weeks and failed after that, plus I hate pills with a passion. Blue U light therapy was recommended by the derm (or shoud I say nurse) and cost $250 per session....How is a blue light gonna stop these breakouts? I need a second opinion, does anyone know of a really good dermatologist in San Francisco cause the one I go to now keeps on tryin to have his nurse deal with me instead of an actual dermatologist.

I didn't really read everything that was written (I've got stuff to do) but as far as nutritional stuff that it's a good idea to AVOID, frenchfries and hashbrowns and stuff like that are majorly bad for your skin. I know *tear*. Just sitting watching all my friends chow down on A&W fries while I eat carrot stick is pretty sad, but it's soooooo worth it. Although I really only suggest this to people with mild acne. People who get a lot in the first place probably won't notice a very big difference.

I also wanted to mention that water is a major factor in skins appearance. I read somewhere that if you warm it up and add lemon it helps. I don't know about that, I think temperature is probably like totally irrelevent. But what ev. I try and drink like two litres a day, and it does make a difference.

Warm water and lemon works well. I also reccomend a gentle natural laxative before bedtime.

NO URLs in signatures. READ THE BOARD RULES.

I stopped eating meat about 3 years ago and the mild case of back acne turned severe. I eat lots of flaxseeds,almonds, and avocados and I thought thats what was causing the problem. My dermatologist said that diet has nothing to do with acne and to eat anything I want. Yet everytime I cut back on almonds and avocados my acne gets a little better. The problem is I love almonds and avocados plus they are a great source of protien. I read that science can't prove that diet contributes to acne but also read that certain foods don't cause acne but can make existing acne worse. The dermatologist perscibed me Doxy, a BP wash and .25% Isotretinion. The .25 Isotretion absolutely kicks ass on existing breakouts but does'nt stop new ones(plus it cost my no insurance having budget an arm and a leg) Doxy only helped the first 2 weeks and failed after that, plus I hate pills with a passion. Blue U light therapy was recommended by the derm (or shoud I say nurse) and cost $250 per session....How is a blue light gonna stop these breakouts? I need a second opinion, does anyone know of a really good dermatologist in San Francisco cause the one I go to now keeps on tryin to have his nurse deal with me instead of an actual dermatologist.

correct me if im wrong- but you said cutting meat out actually worsened your acne?

im a vegetarian so i was just curious

"You're such a beautiful freak, I wish there were more just like you. You're not like all of the others, that is why I love you. Beautiful Freak, Beautiful Freak- that is why I love you."

building a personal bubble of support via my log: Jokerj's Hopeful Log

I have a question.

Why is it that a lot of people such as my friends can eat all of these things and have the nicest, clearest skin, where as acne sufferers such as myself get affected by these foods??

Its really frustrating for me to see my friends who smoke and eat all the junk they want but still have the clearest skin, and I have to watch everything I eat :(

After 20 years of combatting body acne using every topical cream on the planet, I finally took a different approach and focused on the cause and not the symptom. I started taking a multivitamin and addtional vitamin A supplements about three months ago. I haven't changed anything else. No acne since. I have also stopped using the regime.

Stop wasting your money on creams to treat the symptom. Focus on the cause.

-Scott

1 person likes this

After 20 years of combatting body acne using every topical cream on the planet, I finally took a different approach and focused on the cause and not the symptom. I started taking a multivitamin and addtional vitamin A supplements about three months ago. I haven't changed anything else. No acne since. I have also stopped using the regime.

Stop wasting your money on creams to treat the symptom. Focus on the cause.

-Scott

No offence, but I seriously doubt that taking a multivitamin and vitamin A supplement was the thing that cleared you up. It was probably due to the fact that you quit the regime that might have irritated your skin or that you simple outgrew it.

So glad I found some other people looking to cure this situation with more than just throwing drugs at it (sorry if that offends anyone). Anyway, here's my questions/thoughts:

So I opted to not go to the pharmacy with my accutane script because I was too scared and felt there had to be another way. I purchased the Nature's Way Thisilyn Cleanse, Green Vibrance, Dry Vitamin A, and and Super Antioxidant 10 by Country Life. I'm taking all these right now in trying to rid my body of toxins and what not, but I'm curious to know about the EFA's. I tried them for a short time last year, but got the runs quickly after I started taking them (also, I took coconut oil simultaneously). So anyway, I've got some of the cystic acne and the red spots just seem to stay red for a long while. So, should I take the EFA's again? Any other recommendations outside of the list just posted prior to mine? Thanks guys. I want to win here, but it takes a team to be victorious.

Hi how are you? I am new to this so forgive me if I am doing something wrong here!!! I am also at a loss as to whether I should take roaccutane or not!! I have tried everything, from topical treatments to antibiotics, and nothing helps!! Logically speaking if roaccutane reduces the sebascious gland production it means there will be less acne, but I am also worried that playing with the body in such an intrusive way will make me regret ever taking the drug!! The thing is, no matter what we do, the sebum will be produced and will not stop and it is the main cause of acne problems because of clogging it causes etc...:( what do you mean by efa's?

Thank you.

Rasha

Hi

I'm new to this website/forum and hoping to learn something. I have had severe acne for about 15 years and am still trying to find a cure. I took accutane twice once when I was 18 and again when i was 23, each time the acne cleared up completely for about a year then gradually got worse again. I used to smoke cigarettes and weed, but quit that two years ago, in part hoping it would help my acne - glad I quit, but no effect on the acne. Now I'm looking for a holistic approach - I m open to altering my diet, which is already pretty healthy: lots of organic fruits and vegetables, high fiber and whole grains with just a little meat and occasional sweets. Maybe i can cut out wheat, which some have suggested. I just ordered some omega-3 DHA/EPA and will add that plus a multivitamin (prob good even if it doesn't help the acne) I am also trying to learn about visualization and meditation techniques any suggestions there? Also, my brother has bad acne too, and I am trying to work with him beat this thing, he has tried the same things I have, except he still smokes and maybe doesn't eat as healthy as me, but like I said, those things haven't helped much.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Nutritional and Holistic tips for combatting Body acne</span>

CAN BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH DAN'S BP/AHA REGIMEN!

...Moisturiser Nature's Gift do an EXCELLENT essential oil mix, called clarifying synergy, which you can combine with hazelnut oil to make a calming antibacterial moisturiser...

Nature's Gift rocks! I've used the clarifying synergy too and it definitely brings down inflammation, however I stopped using it because I didn't want to put it in a carrier oil anymore. I need to buy glycerin or aloe vera gel or something so it's an oil-free base.

I buy all of my essential oils, hydrosols, etc. from Nature's Gift or New Directions (wholesale). I trust Nature's Gift for quality, but sometimes the New Directions prices just can't be beat. One thing to watch out for: if you ever buy a "flower water", make sure it's actually a hydrosol (the distillate from the essential oil making process) NOT water mixed with a few drops essential oil. Nature's Gif sells hydrosols, New Directions sells flower water. Hydrosols are more expensive, but they're the good stuff. No sense in paying for plain water anyway.

By the way, I totally agree everything in Paul's post. I'm currently eliminating dairy and wheat (all gluten actually, such as Barely), lowering my sugar intake, and doing almost all of the stuff on that list and I'm noticing a significant difference. I'm also noticing what kind of acne I get from eating different food, and which acne comes from certain topicals. Acne really is a complex beast, so unless you're one of those lucky few, don't expect one change to get rid of it completely. It could be a combination of 3-5 things (e.g. hormones, stress, candida, food allergies, vitamin deficiency, picking face, sebum overload, cleanser/topical irritation, dirty pillowcase, no exercise, etc.).

I've noticed that most people on acne.org who healed their acne holistically had to make lifestyle changes that addressed several things on that list.

I also heard something about soy and acne... I think that it has a lot of sugar in it or something. I might be wrong, but doing some research about it and cutting out might help.

I also heard something about soy and acne... I think that it has a lot of sugar in it or something. I might be wrong, but doing some research about it and cutting out might help.

It isn't anything to do with sugar, soy naturally has phytoestrogens in it. It can aggravate acne in some people (myself included if I eat a lot of tofu or drink too much soymilk) because it can mess with your hormone levels. However, it has also been cited to help acne for some as well, it really depends on what type of acne you have and if hormones play a role it in or not. Birth control that was supposed to help acne never worked for me, everyone is different. The benefits of soy are really exaggerated though, and there have been potential dangers with consuming too much as well, like breast cancer.

This is actually the same reason that dairy products can wreck havoc on certain people's skin, but due to a different hormone. Milk has androgen hormones in it, which has a definite link to acne. While soy will have mixed results in how it effects your skin, I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who needed more testosterone for their acne. (Testosterone is an androgen hormone, and why steroid users get bad skin).

Cutting out dairy cleared up my face 90%+ I used to consume quite a lot of it, I cut it out before making other dietary changes so I am certain it was the dairy. Dr. Bronner's soap instead of the usual chemical crap also helped. I cleared up in about 2 weeks or so. Right now I have 1 new zit on my jawline but thats pretty spectacular for me. I am now also meat free, and refined, processed food free, so no wheat or sugar. It basically translates to a vegan diet, with limited soy. (I made these changes specifically to clear up my skin). It is not too difficult for me because I was strict vegetarian before and love to cook. I use hemp milk, I like the taste and it's better for you. While my face is great now, my bacne is still being stubborn. I'm not even sure if its bacne anymore, but there has been slight improvements.

For reference my acne was mild on my face but moderate/very painful on my jawline. My bacne is still moderate but lately has been a bit less painful and scarring, but I don't want to jinx myself!

I take vitamins when I can remember, mostly zinc and b vitamins, probiotics too. I think I will try to take them regularly and add some vitamin c and selenium. I'll be sure to update with any improvements. It's nice to see more people making the link to possibly dietary causes and trying a natural approach. Not that I care if you take accutane or something, it's just encouraging seeing I'm not alone in my hippie endeavors!

Good luck everyone! :)

-Jo

I'm confused about the cleanser/soap part. I always understood the difference between cleansers and soaps to be that soap is saponified fat (usually that means an oil mixed with lye), and a cleanser is anything else (like sodium loreth/lorel sulfate, and some similar chemicals used in shampoos that advertise themselves as having no sodium sulfates). Cleansers can have any weird chemical ever in them; pure castile soap (that is, saponified olive oil and as little else as possible) is, to the best of my knowledge, the gentlest cleaning agent known to man.

The first post says that we should avoid soaps because they can irritate skin, and to use cleansers instead. Then, and this is where I got really confused, it also suggested as a cleanser...a castile bar. "Castile" means pure olive oil soap.

So one of us has the soap/cleanser thing backwards.

My guesses as to why soap would irritate someone's skin: it's made of an oil they're allergic to, it has added fragrances they're allergic to, it's a commercial soap that's had the glycerin taken out (that would make it a lot more drying and less moisturizing, in the same way as acne soaps seem to be in my limited experience), or while it's labeled as "soap" it's still mostly cleansers.

This is mostly based on time I've spent reading soapmaking and diy skincare sites, not on a chemistry background or anything, so I'm asking as much to fill gaps in my knowledge as because the first post doesn't match what I know.

Hey all.

I also a victim of acne, and I've tried so many things! I can't use BP or Salycilic acid because it aggrivates my skin and makes it peel horribly!

I'm too scared to use Accutane because of the side effects. and so I truned to a more natural remedy. I bought Acnepril.

I'm halfway through my first Acnepril bottle, and I think my skin's improvement is the result of using Acnepril. The thing is, my acne was getting so severe that I was desperate for any advice. After reading up online on what's best, I bought Acnepril and I read that dairy, bread products, and sugar worsen skin.

So, starting the very day I read that, I also changed my diet. About a week later, the bottle of Acnepril arrived, and I began using it right away, starting with 2 and gradually going up to 4 daily. So I've been like this for about a month now, and my skin is getting better. I just don't know what to thank for it now- my diet or Acnepril.

I haven't been fully consistent with the diet though (it's so hard!) and I noticed that my first few weeks, I had better result than I do now. I was strict on myself at first, drinking fruit smoothies instead of eating sweets like candy, and replacing regular milk with soy. Now, I tend to allow myself an occasional sandwhich, cereal, or donut. Therefore, my skin is not as great as it looked the first two weeks of using Acnepril & dieting. Oops.

Well, whichever it is, I'm still glad that my skin is not the same as it was when I first began. :dance:

I would have to agree that dietary modification does help with acne treatment.

I had always been a heavy milk drinker (5-6 cups a day) until 12th grade, when my acne started to worsen, so I stopped drinking milk and it generally helped my acne decrease. Over the next year, my acne waxed and waned periodically, however, never really that severely. About a year and a half ago, I had minor acne. I had a pretty active sex life, and I wasn't concerned about hormones being a major cause of acne (in fact, my acne seemed to be receding to nothing at this point in time, much to my surprise). Then, I started working at Starbucks during first fall semester of Uni...and caffeine and milk entered my life once again... 10 months of hell for my skin (I didn't think that this could be related to coffee, but next to alcohol, this was the only major addition to my diet). My back had several cysts at a time, my neck was covered with fields of blackheads and nodules. My face, neck and back now have several ice pick scars and alot of basin scars. This was the worst time I had ever had with acne in my life.

4 months ago, I cut out milk again and changed my diet, cutting out coffee (the capuccinno machine broke) and reducing meat. A good idea. Acne started receding again, much to my surprise, to the point where my skin was very clear and I was going to get some scar treatment done, until I abandoned this diet a month ago (I had thought it would continue receding, despite dietary change). Then bam. What a stupid idea. My face, arms and neck are now swarming with nodules and cysts. I'm considering taking accutane now, my acne is that severe, and I'm so sick of it. I don't want another 10 months of hell due to my diet. However Alberta healthcare is absolutely ridiculous and an appointment for an accutane prescription is anywhere between 6 - 8 months away. I'm already getting scarring everywhere. EVERYWHERE.

So I'm going back on this diet. Cutting out milk and meat is a difficult choice for me actually, but since it may help prevent my acne, so be it. I'm also considering completely cutting out alcohol, as that seems to exacerbate it quite a bit (those 10 months were also filled with alot of drinking, a factor which may be related). I might go as far to say that alcohol is generally mixed with alot of sugar, and itself leads to high blood sugar levels. It seems then that I'll be a health nut, while I wait for this appointment.

Hey Kalvyn, you are like me and is sensitive to dairy and caffeine. I think it's a good idea to cut that out in your life. However, I don't think you need to cut out meat, just red meat. I think chicken, turkey and fish is fine. Also, you may want to consider eliminating wheat/gluten products since I have researched that these products are the main cause for acne.

As for me, I'm quitting the dairy products (never liked milk anyway) as well as caffeine and wheat/gluten products, which will be extremley hard but I know will eliminate my acne.

GOOD LUCK!!! :)

I would have to agree that dietary modification does help with acne treatment.

I had always been a heavy milk drinker (5-6 cups a day) until 12th grade, when my acne started to worsen, so I stopped drinking milk and it generally helped my acne decrease. Over the next year, my acne waxed and waned periodically, however, never really that severely. About a year and a half ago, I had minor acne. I had a pretty active sex life, and I wasn't concerned about hormones being a major cause of acne (in fact, my acne seemed to be receding to nothing at this point in time, much to my surprise). Then, I started working at Starbucks during first fall semester of Uni...and caffeine and milk entered my life once again... 10 months of hell for my skin (I didn't think that this could be related to coffee, but next to alcohol, this was the only major addition to my diet). My back had several cysts at a time, my neck was covered with fields of blackheads and nodules. My face, neck and back now have several ice pick scars and alot of basin scars. This was the worst time I had ever had with acne in my life.

4 months ago, I cut out milk again and changed my diet, cutting out coffee (the capuccinno machine broke) and reducing meat. A good idea. Acne started receding again, much to my surprise, to the point where my skin was very clear and I was going to get some scar treatment done, until I abandoned this diet a month ago (I had thought it would continue receding, despite dietary change). Then bam. What a stupid idea. My face, arms and neck are now swarming with nodules and cysts. I'm considering taking accutane now, my acne is that severe, and I'm so sick of it. I don't want another 10 months of hell due to my diet. However Alberta healthcare is absolutely ridiculous and an appointment for an accutane prescription is anywhere between 6 - 8 months away. I'm already getting scarring everywhere. EVERYWHERE.

So I'm going back on this diet. Cutting out milk and meat is a difficult choice for me actually, but since it may help prevent my acne, so be it. I'm also considering completely cutting out alcohol, as that seems to exacerbate it quite a bit (those 10 months were also filled with alot of drinking, a factor which may be related). I might go as far to say that alcohol is generally mixed with alot of sugar, and itself leads to high blood sugar levels. It seems then that I'll be a health nut, while I wait for this appointment.

best thing you can do for yourself is cut down on sweets! I noticed it immediately took away my acne within 60 days of cutting back on what i loved the most... and you know what ? it was worth it but I still bought tretinoin to do the trick for me :)

Hi All,

I highly recommend not consuming any dairy products. If you must, have very little and steer well clear of cheese. I found cheese to be the worst for my condition and if I had any (any at all) I would get bad break outs.

I agree with trying to cut down on wheat, but I dont feel their is a need to cut it out completely. Things like wheat-bix that are particuarly strong in wheat I would avoid. I personally eat light-rye bread which is a mix of rye and wheat and is available everywhere (aldi, woolworths, coles etc..)

I also recommend taking viatmin supplements, I currently take a multi every day and fish oil 3 times a day. Vitamin C, Zinc are also a must.

Something you may not have come across.. Avoid Freeze dried coffee aka instant coffee, ... i dont know whats in it or if its just how it is made, but every time I have freeze dried coffee (instant coffee) i get break outs.

Following these steps, I have completely cleared my skin, and it is very very rare for me to get a break out (usually when i get cravings for dairy :P ).

P.S. use isocol rubbing alcohol each night before bed, its the best !

Cheers,

Avg Joe

I appreciate all the expertise shared. It’s definitely been trial and error for me to know what works for me. I suffer from body acne, that’s why I always try to gather acne related information. Recently I read an acne treatment blog on I found it very informative.

I not sure if you guys are aware that seaweed do wonders to skin, especially to oily, dry and sensitive skin.

Here is a website i wish to share, summarised:

http://earthlydelights.multiply.com/journa...eed_to_the_Skin

[sig-img:580]

People says beauty is only skin deep,

looks can be deceiving,

but forgotten that most people are just this shallow.

"People who bother, doesn't matters. People who matters, doesn't bother." :)