Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How To Pass Your Accutane Tests

14 posts in this topic

Dermatologists are concerned primarily with three major areas of analysis in your blood work both for baseline testing and routine tests (usually monthly) throughout your course: elevations in blood lipids/fats (trigylcerides), elevations in total and/or LDL (bad) cholesterol, and fluctuations in the levels of transaminases and blood proteins which indicate liver function.

Anyone would want to minimize Accutane's tendency to produce these effects not only to ensure that they can complete a full course to full effect, but also to preserve their general health both during and after treatment.

Accutane significantly risks raising triglycerides, cholesterol, and altering liver function test results, sometimes to the point that a dermatologist will, out of concern for a patient's health, reduce dosage or even suspend treatment. In order to get the most bang for your buck with Accutane, follow these steps to make these complications as unlikely as possible, both for the sake of your treatment and the greater sake of your general health.

1) To lower triglycerides: http://www.loweringcholesterol.net/show/lower-triglycerides

2) To lower total and/or LDL (bad) cholesterol: http://www.loweringcholesterol.net/show/lo...ldl-cholesterol

3) To raise HDL (good) cholesterol: http://www.loweringcholesterol.net/show/ra...hdl-cholesterol

4) To track, both in self-observed symptoms and blood work results (a copy of which you are entitled to from your derm every time, which you should request), the levels of transaminases and blood proteins measured for liver function, and to correspondingly take steps to raise or lower them: Go here http://my.webmd.com and in "Search" type in the particular protein in question for your liver function, say "bilirubin," and read the article that comes up. Scroll down to "Low to High Values," where it discusses what factors contribute to higher or lower values outside the normal range, and then implement one such factor so long as it's not contraindicated with Accutane. So, for example, for excess bilirubin you're probably not getting enough sunlight exposure and you should increase stooling, stimulate better bile flow, drink green tea, etc.

P.S. The above sites provide measurements for cholesterol and triglycerides in US units. Cholesterol and triglycerides are expressed in different units between the US and the rest of the world (ROW); to convert them, ask your physician/derm for the conversion ratio between US and ROW units.

Thanks, the information there looks useful. One question: Can possible long term side effects of roaccutane be reduced by having healthy levels of these substances?

nice tips, thanks,

im upset because i went and got my blood work done a few weeks ago. When i went for the consultation with my derm he said that everything was ok, except that the levels related to my liver were way too high. He asked if i had drank close to the test, which i had (two nights prior), and said that was probably the problem. What upsets me is that they told me to fast which i did, but never mentioned anything about alchohol before the test. I dont know, maybe i should have known not to drink beforehand, but i thought two days would be alright. Anyways, i have to wait ten days and then take the test again to make sure it was the booze...then wait for the test....hopefully its not liver disease...i just want to start the damn course and that definetly slowed down progress

anyways my point is: dont drink within ten days of your blood test to ensure it doesnt throw off your liver test.

Do not take vitamin E. It will look like it is helping with side effects, but actually it is hurting accutane. Accutane works by restricting sebum production, vitaimin E works by enhancing sebum production.

Vitamin E is already omnipresent in food, so do not take extra supplements, your oil glands will not get damaged enough if you take those and accutane will not have the desired effect of long term remission.

Also in an effort to reduce cholestrol do not cut out fat completely, it will cause less accutane to be absorbed which is not what we want.

Take liquid fats and avoid solid fats to reduce cholestrol.

Always kill the sniper first

Do not take vitamin E. It will look like it is helping with side effects, but actually it is hurting accutane. Accutane works by restricting sebum production, vitaimin E works by enhancing sebum production.

Vitamin E is already omnipresent in food, so do not take extra supplements, your oil glands will not get damaged enough if you take those and accutane will not have the desired effect of long term remission.

Also in an effort to reduce cholestrol do not cut out fat completely, it will cause less accutane to be absorbed which is not what we want.

So long, suckah!

Former Accutane patient...NOW DONE!

dose: 40mg/day first month, 60mg/day for 4 months

From what I read and what my derm said, the only known effect of accutane is to shrink the oil glands all over the body. That is how it controls acne.

Everything else is side effect resulting from that and general vitamin A overdose symptoms.

Vitamin E helps the oil glands, accutane hurts the oil glands to control acne, so vitamin E not good with accutane. As simple as that smile.gif

It is fine to deal with the side effects like dry eyes, lips by adding drops, balm but taking vitamin E is extreme for that IMO.

From what I read and what my derm said, the only known effect of accutane is to shrink the oil glands all over the body. That is how it controls acne.

Everything else is side effect resulting from that and general vitamin A overdose symptoms.

Vitamin E helps the oil glands, accutane hurts the oil glands to control acne, so vitamin E not good with accutane. As simple as that smile.gif

It is fine to deal with the side effects like dry eyes, lips by adding drops, balm but taking vitamin E is extreme for that IMO.

I take the following

vitamin B and C : nothing to do with accutane per se, just to help me get more energy for my workouts and it is rumoured to help with red marks from old acne

fish oil supplements: to reduce muscle pain during my workouts

zinc/copper : hoping that it helps with wound healing

I wanted to take vitamin E, it helped my dryness, but soon I actually started feeling my skin oily, which is ridiculous to happen while on tane, so that is when I concluded it is stupid to take Vitamin E while on tane, becuase you are helping your oil glands which you should not.

I am open to trying out other supllements except some "liver cleansing supllements" which was popular in this board some time ago. My concern is accutane is stored in liver, so if the supplements cause liver to throw it out then I dont want it...

I am open to trying out other supllements except some "liver cleansing supllements" which was popular in this board some time ago. My concern is accutane is stored in liver, so if the supplements cause liver to throw it out then I dont want it...

Wow! Lots of great info here! So the Vit. E seems controversial. Not so stir things up again, but anyone have any more thoughts about taking Vit. E, or any websites that could help with this question..

Started Accutane on 10/10/05

80 mgs daily at dinner

a.m.

Cleanser: Aveeno Ultra Calming Cleanser

Cetaphil Cream

Aveeno Ultra Calming Lotion spf 15

Jane Iredale Mineral Make Up

p.m.

80 mg. Sotret

Jojoba Oil or Grapeseed Oil to remove makeup and sunscreen

Aveeno Ultra Calming Cleanser

Cetaphil Cream and sometimes Emu Oil

Other Things

Flax Seed Oil, Omega 3-6-9, Vit. E, Biotin, B5, Garlic, Fish Oil

Aquaphor for lips and nose

Saline Spray AYR for nose (non medicated)

Follow my Tane Adventure, the door is always open...........click here!

Hey,

I'm just curious with your update. Did you end up getting another blood test done without drinking prior to it? How were your results the second time around and how are you finding Accutane?

nice tips, thanks,

im upset because i went and got my blood work done a few weeks ago. When i went for the consultation with my derm he said that everything was ok, except that the levels related to my liver were way too high. He asked if i had drank close to the test, which i had (two nights prior), and said that was probably the problem. What upsets me is that they told me to fast which i did, but never mentioned anything about alchohol before the test. I dont know, maybe i should have known not to drink beforehand, but i thought two days would be alright. Anyways, i have to wait ten days and then take the test again to make sure it was the booze...then wait for the test....hopefully its not liver disease...i just want to start the damn course and that definetly slowed down progress

anyways my point is: dont drink within ten days of your blood test to ensure it doesnt throw off your liver test.

thanks for the links for mitigating the tain side effects

i'll probably be on 10mg per day of tain for the rest of my life, so this stuff should give me an extension on that