This topic is archived.
420 replies to this topic

#1 Antony

Antony

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:18 PM

If you currently suffer from acne, welcome to what will change your life. That's a promise I do not make lightly, having heard or read that exact same phrase myself more times than I can remember in my seemingly futile quest for clearer skin. This, however, is something quite different. This is my acne program. I have developed and perfected it over years of trial and error, adding things here and there as I've picked them up from countless current and former acne sufferers, dermatologists, estheticians, nutritionists, doctors, naturopaths, herbalists, traditional remedies, "acne cure" online e-books, acne- and skin-related books, medical journals and textbooks, and my own exhaustive personal experience. I have critically and experimentally vetted and discarded in these sources any and all hype, fluff, hearsay, empty jargon, abstract theory, deceptive marketing, baseless superstition, false-promise scamming and kooky quackery; in short, I have kept only what genuinely and consistently works in real life. Everything that follows can and will give you serious results, especially when combined altogether in the system laid out as follows. No matter your doubts or reservations as you read the program, know that everything that has been included has been included for one reason and one reason alone: IT WORKS.

This program also has the unique advantage of integrating only the most effective components of a dozen or so different e-books sold on the internet's leading "cure your acne" websites, some of which you have probably seen and thought about buying. These add up to a combined value of several hundred dollars-- which you're getting as part of an even more comprehensive and effective program... for FREE. I've taken only what actually works from all these expensive sites' "acne cures" and combined them for what is, most assuredly, the ultimate acne program.

I am very confident that anyone with mild to moderate acne, however persistent, will experience substantial if not complete clearing within 4-6 weeks of this program. Results will be visible sooner and the benefits are cumulative, carrying on indefinitely if you maintain as much of the key components of diet, cleansing routine, fast/flush, supplementation, and lifestyle as possible. But remember, the program is only as good as it is followed. If you do only one or two things out of the whole program, your acne will still almost certainly improve at least somewhat; if you do them all, your acne will very likely resolve. Those with severe, cystic, scarring, and/or significant truncal/body acne will experience noticeable improvement from diligent adherence to the program; truly dramatic clearing will follow after several months of consistency and persistence in all the steps.

The foundation of the program takes just 1 month to lay down, during which time you will get used to the increasingly familiar and straightforward daily routines of cleansing, supplementing and eating for clearer skin, complemented by occasional "fast-flushes" to enhance your body's elimination of wastes and toxins which otherwise burden the very organs and processes you will be strengthening for clearer skin. At this point you can begin to enjoy the cumulative benefits which actually enable you to "cheat" more and more as time goes by and as your body continues to "rebuild" itself from within into one that rapidly heals existing acne and ever more powerfully prevents future breakouts. The program starts with a fast and flush to detoxify your body so that you can rebuild it with a fresh start for the organs, systems and processes related to acne; you then settle into a healing but filling and nutritient-dense diet, which is accompanied throughout by a very effective, anti-inflammatory cleansing regimen. All in all, it's a totally comprehensive, safe and virtually guaranteed way to beat your acne! Give it a go-- you won't be disappointed.

Some people may find my regimen a little extreme in a world of quick fixes, but it has cleared and continues to clear me up pretty much completely and consistently, which is more than I can say for the thousands upon thousands of dollars' worth of commercial and prescription products and antibiotics bought and used over years and years to no avail. Let me tell you, to be able to look at myself in the mirror with the light ON for the first time in 7 years has been, at least for me, worth any amount of what follows. Print this out now either for yourself or for a friend or family member with acne-- if they follow this program, you'll be their best friend for life. It may seem daunting on paper but that's just because I've tried to be as thorough as possible so you'll know exactly what to do every step of the way-- if you print it out and read it over a few times you'll see that it's really quite simple, methodical, and more than worthwhile. If you can do the first week, you can do the whole shebang. It gets even easier with time, because as you see your skin start to clear you WANT to keep doing it.

Good luck!

P.S. I've been hearing from people that the program as a whole looks too intimidating. In order to bring the curative powers of my program to as many people as possible, I've restructured it slightly: for those who don't wish to do the whole thing, do just The Cleansing Regimen immediately below. This alone will mostly clear almost anyone, and if you REALLY want to take your results to the next level, add in the SUPPLEMENTATION (SUPPLEMENTATION with CLEANSING WILL clear 99 in a 100), and then for GUARANTEED results do the WHOLE program from top to bottom. You'll thank yourself like crazy. wink.gif

P.P.S. If you are female and still suffer acne well into or beyond your 20s, especially if it appeared after adolescence, then your acne's underlying causes are most likely hormonal, i.e. an androgenic imbalance (excess male sex hormone levels). This is why when you're on the pill or get pregnant you'd typically find your skin will 'magically' clear up. It's because the elevated female sex hormones suppress the effect of your androgens on the oil glands. Many women, such as one poster on Pg 19 of this thread, attempted this program only to later find out that the fundamental problem was hormonal-- SO many women spend years trying to deal with acne but they never fully resolve it because they're not getting to the root of the problem. If you are a female 25 yrs old + with acne I strongly recommend that you make an appointment with an endocrinologist for comprehensive hormonal profiling (DHT and all androgens) and look into some of the hormonal approaches to acne that will most effectively address your specific case (Spironolactone, birth control, etc.). Good luck, and take heart in that you at least have the optional of hormonal treatment, unlike men. Do your research. Knowledge = Power.

(1) THE CLEANSING REGIMEN
(2) THE FAST-FLUSH
(3) THE ANTI-ACNE DIET
(4) THE SECRET WEAPON OF SUPPLEMENTATION
(5) GENERAL TIPS

(1) The Cleansing Regimen
(starting from first day of program, continuing indefinitely)

MORNING
(upon rising; takes 25 mins):

- 5 mins steam face over sink/bowl of boiling water (from kettle), towel draped over head to trap in steam

- 5-10 mins lukewarm shower cleanse face w/ Nivea Baby Cleansing Milk
http://www.merchanta...p;product=41892

- while in shower take dollar-size amount of baking soda and rub wet into handful size paste, massage very gently in circles all over wet face, let sit 1 minute, rinse off

- pat dry after shower; now apply the "apple cider vinegar and water solution": 1 part apple cider vinegar to 6 parts water, e.g. 1 teaspoon (5ml) apple cider vinegar to 6 teaspoons (30ml) water in a bowl (increase concentration gradually with time to 1:2 vinegar to water), with cotton pad dab gently on individual spots, oily, inflamed and acne-prone areas, let dry 10 minutes

- get back in shower and wash off 30 secs w/ cold water OR rinse off gently in sink, let face air dry 1-2 minutes

- moisturize: apply a non-comedogenic moisturizer to damp face as it's drying, massaging gently in light, feathery circles
EITHER this OUTSTANDING moisturizer (available in many pharmacies; look around or google for best online prices)
Allergenics Emollient Cream http://www.wellbeing...?itemCode=E1697
OR
one based on emu oil w/ all natural ingredients
(recommend Emu Essence Naturals' Therapeutic Moisturizing Lotion)
http://www.uniquelye...om/skincare.htm
NB: A Jojoba-based moisturizer (ideally just pure Jojoba oil) is apparently also extremely effective; I for one have not personally used this but have had it highly recommend from several reliable authorities who've firsthand experienced or seen others experience great results with it, so you might want to give Jojoba oil a try for a moisturizer in lieu of Emu oil or the Allergenics Emollient Cream. You should be able to find Jojoba Oil, as with Emu Oil, at a good supplement/health food store.

EVENING
(just before bed; takes 40 mins but you can other things while mask dries):

- 5 mins steam face over sink/bowl as in morning

- crack egg into bowl, scoop out egg yolk with spoon so only egg white is in bowl, add 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice to bowl and mix together. apply this w/ cotton pad to face, let dry 20 mins

- 5-10 mins lukewarm shower cleanse face w/ Nivea Baby Cleansing Milk, let face air dry

- apply Nivea Baby Panthenol Ointment let dry 5 minutes
http://www.merchanta...p;product=41897

- while above moisturizer is drying take 5 aspirins ("uncoated" ideal, buy at any supermarket): crush between backs of 2 spoons into bowl and add 1 teaspoon water and 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar into the bowl, wait a minute or two for aspirins to dissolve into a PASTE, stir a bit with finger and then dab this paste on to individual spots. say goodbye to spots and leave on overnight. do nightly for as long as you have individual spots to treat.

THE WHOLE PROGRAM
(starting/continuing the Cleansing Regimen from the first day and maintaining throughout)

(2) The Fast-Flush

3 straight days eat only organic golden delicious apples, 12-16 apples per day.
3-4 liters water per day with 1 fresh squeezed lemon diluted per 1 liter (real lemon not bottled lemon juice).

Fourth day eat 4 apples by noon, nothing after.
6PM drink 1 cup (250ml) water w/ 1 teaspoon Epsom salts diluted.
8PM repeat. 9PM shower and cleansing protocol below.
9:45PM Mix 200ml organic extra virgin olive oil with 1 fresh squeezed lemon. Finish evening chores and get ready for bed.
10PM drink whole oil/lemon mixture standing next to bed. Immediately get into bed and lie down on left side raising right leg up to chest, do not move for at least 20 minutes. Try to fall asleep in this position.

Next morning (fifth day) expect possible diarrhea, inspect toilet for floating green balls of bile-cholesterol, this has cleansed your gallbladder, liver and colon.
7AM drink 1 cup water w/ 1 teaspoon Epsom salts diluted.
9AM repeat.
11AM start to drink fresh vegetable and/or fruit juice (no packaged sugary stuff-- real fresh-made healthy juice).
12PM Brunch (first food in 24hours WOW!) 1 kiwi, 1 carrot, 2 apples, 1 orange, 1 half cucumber, 1 celery stalk.
6PM regular food but keep it light.

* Strongly advised: nightly enemas and/or daily psyllium/bentonite shakes and/or 1 teaspoon cream of tartar in mug of hot water upon rising and just before bed, except on 3rd night when taken/performed at 9:15 PM (30mins before olive oil-lemon drink swallowed)

** Optional but strongly advised: daily sauna, if access to one: 3 consecutive sessions 10 minutes each with 1 minute cold shower between each session. This facilitates excretion of toxins through secondary channel of elimination-- the skin-- when toxins are not eliminated efficiently enough through primary channels of elimination-- the bowels and urinary tract-- as can often happen when detoxifying a particularly toxic body.

*** Repeat the Fast-Flush 2 weeks later, and thereafter repeat again once every 2 months

**** Some people have replied stating that for whatever reason they 'hate' apples! If absolutely necessary, replace apples with cucumbers (1 apple = half large cucumber).

***** It is VERY important that you give your body a break while doing the fast-flush. So please find a calm quiet time-- such as a long weekend or holiday-- away from work or school so you can keep stress and exertion to a minimum while your body is in such a deep cleansing state.

(3) The Anti-Acne Diet
(starting 5th day and for every day for the next week)

Diet is misleading because you hear it and you think it means you'll starve-- this menu is large enough to feed even the hungriest among us. If it looks too filling, simply eat only what you like from it but try to keep as much of a balance from the listed items as possible.

7AM upon rising (1 hr before breakfast) 1 warm mug green tea w/ 1/2 fresh lemon squeeze and 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
8AM Breakfast: 1 apple; 4 raw egg yolks (no whites); 1 bowl oatmeal w/ 1 handful raisins thrown in; 1 carrot
10AM 1 Liter Water w/ 1/2 fresh lemon squeeze.
12PM Lunch: 1 apple; 1-3 portions chicken/turkey; 1 portion tuna/salmon/cod/mackerel/trout; 1 bowl salad w/ lettuce (no iceberg, romaine ideal) including variety of vegetables and/or fruits and dressed generously with extra virgin olive oil; 1 carrot; 1 kiwi; 1 handful raisins
3PM 1 Liter Water w/ 1/2 fresh lemon squeeze
6PM Dinner: 1 apple; 1 plate brown rice; 2-3 portions chicken/turkey, 1 portion tuna/salmon/cod/mackerel/trout; 1 kiwi; 1 carrot; 1 handful raisins
9 PM 1 Liter Water w/ 1/2 fresh lemon squeeze
10:45PM 1 warm mug green tea w/ 1/2 fresh lemon squeeze and 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
11PM sleep

That's daily 3 liters water w/ 1/2 fresh lemon squeeze per liter, more water if exercising. A few sips of water, red wine, green tea, fruit juice or non-carbonated beverage are fine with a meal but enjoy your 1 Liter water breaks ONLY 2 hours before and 2 hours after meals; never within 1 hour of any meal (dilutes digestive juices impairing proper digestion-- crucial for acne).

After 1 week gradually re-integrate other foods you enjoy, but KEEPING most if not all foods already on the menu, in addition to continuing the supplement regimen below. Allow very moderate amounts of your "vice foods" but remember the universal anti-acne dietary principles:

EVERY DAY FOR CLEARER SKIN:
- little to no sugar (check the label as even "healthy" food can sneak in too much)
- little to no dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt)
- little to no fried food (anything cooked in vegetable oil)
- many whole vegetables
- many whole fruits
- lots (30-35g) of fiber

It is also VERY important to do the following, which is so simple but so often overlooked: chew your food as thoroughly as possible before swallowing, and enjoy your meal at a relaxed pace. This optimizes your digestive efficiency so that your food can be broken down quickly and easily when it arrives in the stomach and passes through the intestines. It is crucial for you as an acne-prone individual that for clear skin you ensure that your digestion is optimal: this and other methods here help to ensure this.

I'm not being flakey and listing these dietary principles just for general health--
this is all specifically for ACNE.

(4) The Secret Weapon of Supplementation
(starting on the 5th day and continuing indefinitely)

In my opinion this is the most important part the whole program. The Cleansing Regimen will help get you clear from the outside in, but what follows, if done in its entirety exactly as advised, will get you clear from the inside out. I can't stress enough how powerful this will be for you in getting the results I know you want-- the only way you'll believe it is when you see the results for yourself in your very own mirror.

Take the following 3 times per day, always with food
(i.e. with breakfast, lunch, dinner):

- 1 capsule Probiotic/Acidophilus
(most powerful probiotic Primal Defense by Garden of Life)
http://www.webvitami...ct.aspx?id=3654

- 2 capsules DermaCleanse by ZenMed
(VERY, VERY, VERY IMPORTANT: only take 3 weeks on, 2 weeks off, 3 weeks on, 2 weeks off, and so on; taking continuously results in clearing, breakout, clearing and so on; however, cycling as I advise results in sustained and ongoing clearing; only buy capsules nothing else)
http://zenmed.com/acne/order.html

- 1 tablespoon Total EFA
http://www.bodybuild...re/sun/efa.html or a good Essential Fatty Acid Omega-3 oil blend (liquid not capsules)

- if male: 2 capsules Saw Palmetto
http://www.mothernat...p;Type=Products

- if female: 2 capsules Chasteberry

- if cystic acne (bumps and lumps that can't be popped-- nor should you try!):
-> 2 capsules Deodorized Garlic tablet
-> 1 capsule Olive Leaf Extract
-> 1 capsule Oregano Oil

- if suspected weak digestion: 1 capsule digestive enzyme blend
(most powerful digestive enzyme supplement OmegaZyme by Garden of Life)
http://www.webvitami...ct.aspx?id=3650

Take this with breakfast:

- 1 multivitamin
DermaMed PhytoMe:
http://www.dermamed....kin/default.asp
OR
Perfectil: Skin, Hair and Nails
http://us.vitabiotic...c...?ID=18&sm=1

Take the following 2 times per day, always with food
(i.e. with breakfast and then again with dinner)

- 15,000 IU Vitamin A
- 1 B-Complex
- 3,000mg Vitamin C
- 400IU Vitamin E
- 50mg Zinc
- 200ug Selenium
- 200ug Chromium

http://www.vitamins.com/
http://www.myvitanet.com/
http://www.mothernature.com/
http://www.herbalhealer.com/
http://www.swansonvitamins.com

* If pregnant or conceiving please consult your physician before taking any supplements, ESPECIALLY concerning vitamin A

** If taking the drug Accutane for acne do not supplement with Vitamin A beyond a multivitamin (but NOT DermaMed PhytoMe-- it contains too much to take while on Accutane); if concerned about possible interactions between supplements and any drug/s you may be taking, please consult your physician

*** If taking DermaMed PhytoMe multivitamin, reduce further vitamin A supplementation to 10,000IU per day

**** Continue taking supplements during second and subsequent fast-flushes

- If you also have those unsightly blotchy red marks (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation) that just don't seem to fade: 10g (2 teaspoons) MSM (sulfur powder available at any vitamin store) diluted in 1 large glass water; drink it down all at once. Do this every day until red marks fade completely. This combined with the other supplements below, especially the vitamin C, will more or less COMPLETELY clear red marks if taken daily for MINIMUM 2 months. (Just see my own photo below for the complete change in skin tone if you don't believe me!)

(5) General Tips

* Sleep deprivation, insomnia and imbalanced sleep patterns (out of sync with day-night/light-dark) not only offset your body clock affecting homeostasis but also increase sebum production, potentially causing and/or worsening acne. The solution? Get at least 8-9 hours of sleep consistently and at reasonable hours, i.e. fall asleep by 10-11PM and wake up around 7-8AM.

* Increased circulation delivers nourishing and revitalising oxygenation and nutrients via bloodstream to skin cells as to rest of body for greater skin health and anti-inflammatory effects on acne: exercise 30-60 mins 3 x weekly, drinking extra water as desired (shower lukewarm water quickly after exercise, no cleanser, emu oil moisturizer on damp skin)

* Further benefit derived from 10g (2 teaspoons) MSM (form of sulfur sold in all health stores) diluted per 1 liter water consumed daily for increased collagen production and improved skin texture, tone, smoothness and suppleness

* Do not pop, pick, push, pull, poke, squeeze, rub or in any way touch your acne. As a rule of thumb (no pun intended), avoid touching your face at all times. The only time you should be touching your face is during the cleansing regimen

* Take at least 10 mins every day to lie down in a quiet space alone (while your mask dries is an excellent time): closing your eyes, breath in very slow and deep through your nose while pushing out your stomach, and then out through your mouth very slow and strong while relaxing your stomach; think only of your breathing and enjoy the sense of calm and clarity you will experience

* Regardless of how you feel, and especially if you've got the blues, laugh as hard as you possibly can at least once every day at whatever it is that can make you laugh-- just try this and you'll feel and see the difference

Your acne WILL get better.

* * * * * * * * * * Be Patient. Be Persistent. Be Consistent. Be Clear. * * * * * * * *

To give an indication of real results with my program, and perhaps encourage you toward your own, here is my own improvement in just over 2 months (I cleared significantly much sooner, including the cystic body acne you can't see):

AcneBeforeAfter.jpg

January 11 2005 vs March 23 2005
Almost none of the program vs Almost all of the program

********************************************************************************

AFTERWORD

July 14th 2008

I no longer visit this website, its message board, or any of the threads containing my old posts, nor do I check my inbox for PMs. My account is effectively defunct. I've long since cleared up and have gratefully and gladly moved on to other things in my life. I sincerely wish the same for you, and I hope that my program may play some part in your solution. I just wanted to come back here one last time, and take a minute to say a couple of things:

1) A lot of people have said that they couldn't possibly make this regimen work for them because there's just too damn much to do in the program, i.e. too many supplements to blow money on, or it just takes too much time, etc. My response is that you don't necessarily have to do everything in the program for it to work. The reason why there is so much in here is because it holistically addresses the widest variety of underlying acne causes, only one of which may be the real culprit in your particular case. So don't be discouraged by the overwhelming amount of 'instructions' in the program; think of them more as 'ideas and options for your consideration,' and approach them with an attitude of flexibility and creativity. Make the program your own; listen to and adapt to your own skin, your own body. Maybe try out just a couple of things and see what works for you. Certain things in this program are incredibly effective just by themselves, and one or two things could be what make all the difference for you.

2) I was recently contacted by an e-marketing company, the kind that probably puts up all those other 'acne solution' sites. They offered me a considerable sum of money to ghost-write for them an 'acne cure e-book,' a virtually verbatim re-hash of my program above. As you can tell from the fact that this post is still here, I rejected the offer. My reasoning is that if I can help one other person get clear, I will gladly do it for free. I think that anyone who has been through acne themselves would do the same. I hope that people out there who have made it through their acne will continue to share their hard-won advice with others. But I also encourage everyone reading this (or anything else on this site, the internet, even in their dermatologist's office) to not be too naive, desperate or trusting when it comes to 'acne solutions;' sure, including even my own. Always do your own research, get a second opinion, ask tough questions, be skeptical and be smart.

3) Complete disclosure: I have taken Accutane. The "After" photo is, however, from this program alone, and my skin stayed that clear up to starting Accutane. If my skin was already as clear as in the "After" photo, then why take Accutane? I'm not going to lie, I had finally obtained an Accutane prescription (ironically at the time my skin was flawless, after years of being overlooked despite bad acne; dermatologists continue to baffle me). Even with naturally cleared skin, I wanted an easy-- perhaps 'lazy'-- semi-permanent solution. Here's the thing: most people on this site fall into one of 3 groups: those who reject the medical establishment, especially Accutane, and preach the holistic path to clear skin and good health (veggies, supplements, flushes, etc.); those who trust the dermatologists, pills and creams to get them clear; and those who are so desperate as to listen to anyone from either camp and try anything. I may have been somewhat unusual on this site because while I'm really big on holistic health, I actually don't have anything against Accutane. In fact-- and I did post on exactly this before, somewhere on this site-- I believe that the oft-cited side-effects are highly exaggerated, owing in some part to most derms over-aggressively prescribing unnecessarily high daily doses. I don't want to digress too much on this, but in short, if you are able to get an Accutane prescription-- and you must do your research first-- I for one would say go for it.

This must seem totally contradictory, even hypocritical, to tout my natural regimen below and then to also say "Accutane is also great!" Maybe this doesn't make sense to you, but it does to me. But to answer the important question you probably have: "Who's to say your program wouldn't have failed you after you started Accutane? How do you know your program works more than a few months at a time? Maybe if it wasn't for Accutane you would be even worse than your "Before" picture by now?!?!?" These are all very fair questions. I can only say that I know it's worked not only for me in the past, but continues to work for others to this day. Just to give you two examples, I have a cousin-- a certified naturopath-- and one very close friend, both of whom had acne worse than my own when they eagerly volunteered to try out the program, one year after me. They both followed my program almost entirely for about 6 months, at which point they were pretty much totally clear. They then found that certain things helped more than others and pared down the program as appropriate. A year after they'd started, they were clear all the way (sure, maybe the very occasional pimple), and had found what few things in the program were all they needed to keep their clear skin in their particular cases.

4) I'd love to be able to help people who have questions or PMs about this program-- or any of my other posts from years ago-- but I as I've said, I no longer visit the site and as such I just don't reply to messages anymore. I would like to be able to help people directly and more often-- every time I see someone in the street with acne my heart really does go out to them. Don't take it personally or be upset if I never reply to your PM or your post; I haven't been to this site in years and I no longer need to come back. I really, REALLY hope that you get something out of my program or other posts from back when I was a regular, but I can't answer posts, questions or PMs. Please try directing your questions to members who have posted in this thread with their experiences with the program.

5) I am not a dermatologist. Everything you read above is the experience of a former acne-sufferer and a regular person just like you. However, I spent a good year or two obsessed with acne. During this time I really did experiment with (a) every 'acne-cure' book you've ever seen on the internet; (b) pretty much every OTC topical you've ever bought or considered buying; © a myriad of foods/diets/allergy-theories relating to acne. During this time I became increasingly disillusioned with dermatologists' heavily (in my opinion, misguidedly) antibiotics-based approach to acne after years of trying several different prescription antibiotics. During this time I also read several clinical manuals used by dermatologists, interned in a dermatologist's office, and did everything else already mentioned in the program.

Lastly: there are some amazing people on this site, whom you can learn a lot from. Do give my program a try-- again, even if it's only a couple of things at a time. And take heart: no matter who you are or how incurably bad you may feel your skin is, I can tell you that there absolutely IS a solution for you. Oh, and don't spend TOO much time on this site, a trap that's all too easy to fall into. Fuck acne: get out into the sunlight, go for a run, breathe deep and enjoy your life. Good luck to you, and God bless.

#2 ThomThumb

ThomThumb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE(Antony @ Apr 1 2005, 10:18 PM)
A few months ago my skin was bad enough for Accutane, having had peristent mild to moderate acne with episodic moderate breakouts for 10 years (11 to 21) and having put up with 3 antibiotics courses and more than my fair share of topicals. My derm told me to come in earlier this week for Accutane, but when I did and she saw me, it turns out I've cleared up way too much to warrant the use of dermatology's last resort. I'm now 100% clear except for red marks, already quickly fading.

This is pretty much how I did it. This is my acne program. I started it a few months ago and have done my best to follow through with as much persistence, consistency and discipline as I can. I've developed it over a year or so through trial and error, adding things here and there as I've picked them up from former acne-sufferers, dermatologists, naturopaths and, of course, acne.org-ers. It starts with a fast and flush, setting into a good diet-- which I've modified from more stuff that I eat as well but that won't help you, like protein shakes and tuna-- and it's accompanied throughout with a very effective, anti-inflammatory and healing topical regimen.

I am reasonably confident that anyone with mild to moderate acne, however persistent, will experience substantial if not complete clearing within 4-6 weeks of this program, with only red mark fading to worry about thereafter. Results will be visible sooner and the benefits are cumulative, carrying on indefinitely if you sustain as much of the key components of diet, cleansing routine, fast/flush, supplementation, and lifestyle as possible.

Begin with Fast/Flush:
3 straight days eat only organic golden delicious apples, 12-16 apples per day.
3-4 liters water per day with 1 fresh squeezed lemon diluted per 1 liter.
Fourth day eat 4 apples by noon, nothing after. 6PM drink 1 cup (250ml) water w/ 1 tablespoon Epsom salts diluted. 8PM repeat. 9PM shower and cleansing protocol below. 9:45PM Mix 200ml organic extra virgin olive oil with 1 fresh squeezed lemon. Finish evening chores and get ready for bed. 10PM drink whole oil/lemon mixture standing next to bed. Immediately get into bed and lie down on left side raising right leg up to chest, do not move for at least 20 minutes. Try to fall asleep in this position. Next morning expect diarrhea, inspect toilet for floating green balls of bilious cholesterol, this has cleansed your gallbladder, liver and colon. 7AM drink 1 cup water w/ 1 tablespoon Epsom salts diluted. 9AM repeat. 11AM start to drink fresh vegetable and/or fruit juice (no packaged sugary stuff-- real fresh-made healthy juice). 12PM Brunch (first food in 24hours WOW!) 1 kiwi, 1 carrot, 2 apples, 1 orange, 1 half cucumber, 1 celery stalk.
6PM regular food but keep it light.

On to the Anti-Inflammatory Diet, starting 5th day and for every day for the next week:
7AM upon rising (1 hr before breakfast) 1 warm mug green tea w/ 1/2 fresh lemon squeeze
8AM Breakfast: 1 apple; 1 bowl oatmeal w/ raisins mixed in; 1 handful brazil nuts; 1 carrot
10AM 1 Liter Water w/ 1/2 fresh lemon squeeze.12PM
12PM Lunch: chicken/turkey/fish w/ lettuce (no iceberg, romaine ideal), 1 apple; 1 handful brazil nuts; 1 carrot; 1 kiwi; 1 handful raisins
3PM 1 Liter Water w/ 1/2 fresh lemon squeeze
6PM Dinner: 1 apple; 1 plate brown rice; chicken and/or turkey and/or salmon, cod, mackerel, trout; 1 handful brazil nuts; 1 handful raisins; 1 kiwi
9 PM 1 Liter Water w/ 1/2 fresh lemon squeeze
10:45PM 1 warm mug green tea w/ 1/2 fresh lemon squeeze
11PM beddy-bye-byes

That's daily 3 liters water w/ 1/2 fresh lemon squeeze per liter, more water if exercising. Drink water ONLY 2 hours before and 2 hours after meal; never within 1 hour of any meal. Also EXCELLENT anti-acne high-fiber benefits to be had in drinking 200ml glasses of PRUNE JUICE 2-3 times per day, but only on top of and never in place of regular water intake.

Supplementation starting on the 5th day and continuing indefinitely:
With every meal 1 capsule Acidophilus, 2 capsules Dermacleanse http://zenmed.com/sh...tml?quantity=1 (ONLY buy capsules do NOT buy topicals), 2 capsules Saw Palmetto if male; 2 capsules Chastetree Berry (Agnus Castus) if female, 1 tablespoon Total EFA http://www.bodybuild...re/sun/efa.html. An important point with the DermaCleanse capsules is to cycle them so that you take them daily (6 a day, 2 at every meal) for 2 weeks, then stop for 2 weeks, then back on for 2 weeks, and so on.
With Breakfast 1 multivitamin (recommend Perfectil--Skin,Hair and Nails)
With Breakfast and Dinner, at each: 1 B-Complex tablet, 1000mg Vit C, 400IU Vit E, 25mg Zinc Gluconate/Picolinate, 200ug Selenium, 1 tablet Chromium.

After 1 week gradually re-integrate other foods you enjoy, but KEEPING most if not all foods already on menu in addition to the supplement regimen. Allow moderate amounts of your vice foods but remember the universal anti-acne dietary principles:
- little to no sugar (soda, chocolate)
- little to no dairy (milk, cheese)
- little to no fried food (heated hydrogenated vegetable oils baaaad)
- little to no kryptonite
- lots to infinite vegetables
- lots to infinite fruits
- lots to infinite fiber
- lots to infinite protected mutually orgasmic sex

I'm not being flaky and listing these dietary principles for general health-- this is all specifically for ACNE.

Cleansing Regimen starting from first day of program:
Every morning and night 10 mins face over sink of boiling water (from kettle/microwave) with towel over head ; 5-10 mins lukewarm shower with Nivea Baby Cleansing Milk http://www.merchanta...e&product=41892, followed by baking soda w/ water make paste handful size rub very gently over face and body acne in shower, let sit 1 minute, wash off; every morning after shower apple cider vinegar and water solution 1 part vinegar to 8 parts water (increase very gradually to 1:2 vinegar to water), with cotton bud dab gently on individual spots and inflamed areas, let dry 10 minutes, wash off. Let face air dry several minutes. Apply acne gel, ideally 5% benzoyl peroxide without additional alcohols, then emu oil moisturizer http://www.ddmwholesale.com/Home.aspx, or alternatively no acne gel (better) and straight to emu oil moisturizer. Every evening steam face 10 mins over sink as before, then whisk egg white w/ 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon and apply with cotton bud to face, let dry 20 mins, then get into shower and wash off, followed by mild cleanser, then air dry face. Apply Nivea Baby Panthenol Ointment http://www.merchanta...e&product=41897 over face and body acne. Think happy thoughts and go to sleep.

After 1 month repeat egg/lemon mask once per week max.

Should be sleeping 11PM-7AM, min. 8 hours, consistently. This is vital.

Exercise min. 30 mins. 3 x weekly, drinking extra water as desired.

Once weekly http://www.dermstore... Masque_503.htm or similar Kaolin/Bentonite based clay mask.

View Post

is this a joke?

#3 Antony

Antony

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:48 PM

No, April's Fools Day is over in my time zone!

What's so funny about it? That's my life there. I couldn't get Accutane so I had to look at alternatives. I cherrypicked the best of various things for a customized, synergistic regimen that took into account all the factors at play in acne and methodically addressed them. And it worked.

#4 ThomThumb

ThomThumb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE(Antony @ Apr 1 2005, 10:48 PM)
No, April's Fools Day is over in my time zone!

What's so funny about it? That's my life there. I couldn't get Accutane so I had to look at alternatives. I cherrypicked the best of various things for a customized, synergistic regimen that took into account all the factors at play in acne and methodically addressed them. And it worked.

View Post

well I guess thats respectable, I'm just too attached to my comfortable western lifestyle to make such dramatic changes without the help of God

#5 Antony

Antony

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2005 - 10:27 PM

If you think these are dramatic changes you should get in touch with AC_United-- now there's a guy willing to make dramatic changes from his comfortable western lifestyle! See the heated debate for yourself! http://www.acne.org/...70

My program is like going on Accutane next to his.

I know, it's demanding and there's a lot of sacrifice I've had to make.

The thing is, I NEED virtually perfect skin almost as a matter of livelihood-- I'm an actor and that's how I'm paying my way through college, in addition to being a mediocre writer. I've been told point-blank by my agent on several occasions that I have to deal with my acne or I'm severely limiting my career prospects. I can't get Accutane prescribed to me despite trying several dermatologists and enumerating breathlessly my extensive and futile treatment history. They all just say that my acne is too mild. Thanks to this program, all I have now is red marks I'm slowly fading... but unfortunately I think I can feel a little cyst coming up where the top of the bridge of my nose meets my forehead. Shit. Anyway, I can't get Accutane; I need the clearest possible skin; so I have to do the next best thing, and this is it. My willingnes to invest so much in my skin (embarrassingly metrosexual I know) reflects the value I place on my career, which appears to demand no less of me.

#6 yme

yme

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 03 April 2005 - 02:03 AM

yeah its a very hard regimen but thumbs up to u anthony for doing it. that takes alot of resposibility..

about the first part.. u can only eat apples? nothing else?

cuz i tried just eating vege's and some fruits this one day and when i went to the gym worked out a lil bit and i almost felt like fainting. i had no power in me whatsoever.

and when u do it did u do an enema? cuz i read somewhere in these forums some guy said if u do that apple thingy u have to do enemas or u'll break out like crazy.. too intense for me. but i can prolli do that apple thing and suppliments but i dunnoabout the others. my sleep schedule isnt always the same.

what if i just did a fast/flush and then supplements and keep vege's/fruits in my diet? would that be fine? im willing to do things to help my face. but thats too intense for me. but from reading it seems like it works smile.gif

when i went to the grocery store to fill my fridge it cost me $80 and thats only fruits/vege's raisins, three peices of chicken breast and brown rice and oatmeal etc. i dunno if i can afford it. i gotta eat what my parents make. but i will buy supplements and fruits and vege's still and eat whatever my parents prepare for me at dinner smile.gif can i just do that?

well my reason for getting rid of acne is prolli why everyone else wants it gone. acne is horrible. ruins ur life. i can't even look at people in the face. when i walk about the mall i see some girl i will look down. or anybody at all i'll look down instead of having my chin up. sad.gif cuzi know they'll be lookin at my acne. and i dont wanna see that so i just look down when i walk by someone.. acne has ruined my life for the past 7 years.

and i have insomnia taking benadryl my phsychritrist prescribed me. sucks.. its not kickin in anymore.. depression is owning me.

thanks!
www.egturbo.com

#7 Antony

Antony

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2005 - 02:37 AM

yo man it WORKS. But absolutely NOTHING else but apples. In fact, the fast is prolly the hardest part-- because I bet you can't remember any time in your entire life when you absolutely could only eat 1 thing and 1 thing only for 3 whole days. I swear to god it's the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life, you think it's easy but by the second evening you're starving for like a bucket of ben &j erry's and a fresh dominoe's meatlovers. It's HARD man, but if you get through it, everything else in this program will seem EASY by comparison, seriously. Nutritionally you will be OK but it IS a fast so you will be fantasizing like Homer about biting off chocolate dogs' heads in Candyland-- even by the second day it gets very hard, but if you eat ANYTHING else you ruin the whole fast, so you've GOT to stick it out for 3 days.

Your parents or whatever won't understand and will think you're becoming anorexic or something, so just keep to yourself and get yourself through those 3 days. I can't stress enough DON'T eat anything else. You're gonna get VERY hungry, so whadda you do? Eat MORE apples. Eat apples till you're SO hungry you can't bear to think of more food. If you always have an apple handy, then even if you're thinking of a big fudge cake (and you will oh boy you will!) you can just pop that apple in your mouth and fill up your stomach. So buy LOTS of apples so you're not tempted toe at because you're hungry.

You're putting your body in cleansing mode and eliminating toxins, so you can't subject yourself to any buidling activities, i.e. weight training, which tries to put your body into an anabolic and muscle-building state. Obviously when you finish the fast and work your way back onto a regular diet, starting with lots of veggies and fruits and gradually bringin in more and more protein until you're eating as much protein as you want, you will be hitting the gym and you'll have the protein and carbs to fuel your workouts. But during the fast and for a day or two after you gotta take it easy, because you're body is getting all the bad stuff OUT. You may even have a very mild breakout but this is GOOD, it's getting you CLEARER in the long run. If you have access to a sauna and/or steam room this REALLY helps flush out those toxins during the fast.

You're flushing out toxins with the high-fiber and high-pectin apples, which are especially effective at soaking up all the impurities your liver has been filtering out of your blood for elimination via the bowels. The enema is ideally done each night of the fast but I have not included it as it tends to scare most people off (as if my regimen wasn't intimidating enough!). The idea is that the toxins you're releasing in your body have to be eliminated or else they'll loiter around in your body and break you out-- the more toxic you are the more toxins you're flushing out while fasting so if your bowels and other excretory channels aren't doing enough then you run the risk of eliminating toxins through your skin as well, i.e. breakout.

The enema is insurance against this, not necessary but very helpful indeed. If you want to do it, get an enema kit from a pharmacy (say it's for your ailing grandfather if you're embarrassed, I know I was so that's what I said ;-), fill the enema kit with 1 tablespoon epsom salts to 1 liter body-temperature water; lying down on left side, release into bowels, tighten sphincter and retain for 5 minutes; repeat lying down on right side; repeat kneeling down with head to ground-- i.e. head down, butt up (as if you were bending down to kiss someone's boot because they had a gun to your head ;-) well why else would you?!?! )

The cleansing regimen you get used to really quickly. If you can do it all every morning and night for ONE week, you can do it forever. Sure you'll miss some nights and mornings sleeping over at your lovers or whatever, but the whole point is that if you just honestly genuinely do your best, you will see major results. I think I probably followed this program about 95%, and that's why I'm always at least 95% clear. The cool thing actually is that really gets your whole body and therefore clear skin back on track SO well that once you've been doing it for like a month you can start to slip more and more and you'll still be OK. The better you do it, the more liberties you can take every now and then and you'll still be fine. It's because the program builds up your immune system, liver, gallbladder, colon and skin in such a way that even when the internal imbalances causing your acne try to come back, your body's anti-acne mechanisms have gone from "earnestly struggling in their ongoing endeavor" to "don't mess wit me acne muddafucka, i kill you". You gotta see it to believe.

#8 paba

paba

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2005 - 05:14 AM

QUOTE(Antony @ Apr 2 2005, 04:18 AM)

- lots to infinite fiber

Most people think, it's best to eat as much fiber as possible. I think, this is one of the biggest misconceptions in nutrition today. A little bit of fiber is certainly ok, but too much fiber can be very damaging to the intestines. When you eat to much fiber (lots of raw salads, grains, legumes etc.), it won't be digested completely. undigested food is not good, because bad microbes feed on it. they feed from the carbohydrates that is left in undigested foods.

The Vicious Cycle

When the balance in the gut is disturbed, an overgrowth of intestinal flora can result. Microbes migrate to the small intestine and stomach, inhibiting digestion and competing for nutrients. The gut then becomes overloaded with the byproducts of their digestion. This bacterial overgrowth can be triggered by overuse of antacids, reduced stomach acidity due to aging, weakening of the immune system through malnutrition or poor diet, and alteration of the microbial environment through antibiotic therapy.

The components of our diet, particularly carbohydrates, play an enormous role in influencing the type and number of our intestinal flora. When carbohydrates are not fully digested and absorbed, they remain in our gut, and become nutrition for the microbes we host. The microbes themselves must digest these unused carbohydrates, and they do this through the process of fermentation. The waste products of fermentation are gases, such as methane, carbon dioxide & hydrogen, and both lactic & acetic acids, as well as toxins. All serve to irritate and damage the gut. There is evidence that increased acidity in the gut due to malabsorption and fermentation of carbohydrates, may lead common harmless intestinal bacteria to mutate into more harmful ones. Further, lactic acid produced during the fermentation process has been implicated in the abnormal brain function and behaviour sometimes associated with intestinal disorders. The overgrowth of bacteria into the small intestine triggers a worsening cycle of gas and acid production, which further inhibits absorption and leads to yet more harmful byproducts of fermentation. The enzymes on the surface of the small intestines are destroyed by the now present bacteria, and this further disrupts the digestion and absorption of carbohydrates, leading to further bacterial overgrowth. As both the microbial flora and their byproducts damage the mucosal layer of the small intestine, it is provoked to produce excessive protective mucus, which further inhibits digestion and absorption.

Damage to the mucosal layer involves injury to the microvilli of our absorptive cells. These microvilli act as the last barrier between the nutrition we take in and our bloodstream. As our absorption is inhibited, folic acid and vitamin B12 deficiency can lead to impaired development of microvilli, while an abnormally thick layer of mucus prevents contact between microvilli enzymes and the carbohydrates we ingest. The small intestine responds to this spiraling irritation by producing more goblet (mucus-making) cells, creating yet more mucus. Finally, as the goblet cells become exhausted, the intestinal surface is laid bare, and is further damaged, and possibly ulcerated. As more carbohydrates are left in the gut, they cause water and nutrients to be pulled from the body into the colon, resulting in chronic diarrhea. Absorption is further hindered as diarrhea increases the rate with which food travels through the gut.

The Diet

"The Specific Carbohydrate Dietâ„¢ is based on the principle that specifically selected carbohydrates, requiring minimal digestive processes, are well absorbed and leave virtually none to be used for furthering microbial overgrowth in the intestine. As the microbial population decreases due to lack of food, its harmful byproducts also decrease, freeing the intestinal surface of injurious substances. No longer needing protection, the mucus-producing cells stop producing excessive mucus, and carbohydrate digestion is improved. Malabsorption is replaced by absorption. As the individual absorbs energy and nutrients, all the cells in the body are properly nourished, including the cells of the immune system, which then can assist in overcoming the microbial invasion." The simpler the structure of the carbohydrate, the more easily the body digests and absorbs it. Monosaccharides (single molecules of glucose, fructose, or galactose) require no splitting by digestive enzymes in order to be absorbed by the body. These are the sugars we rely on in the diet. They include those found in fruits, honey, some vegetables, and in yoghurt.

Double sugar molecules (disaccharides: lactose, sucrose, maltose and isomaltose) and starches (polysaccharides) are primarily avoided on the diet. Some starches have been shown to be tolerated, particularly those in the legume family (dried beans, lentils and split peas only). However, they must be soaked for 10-12 hours prior to cooking, and the water discarded since it will contain other sugars which are indigestible, but which are removed in the soaking process. Small amounts of legumes may only be added to the diet after about three months. The starches in all grains, corn, and potatoes must be strictly avoided. Corn syrup is also excluded since it contains a mixture of 'short-chain' starches.

here's an interesting article about the damaging effects of too much fiber:
http://www.second-op...and_cancer.html

#9 Antony

Antony

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2005 - 05:42 AM

Thank you for that interesting article paba.

I say "lots to infinite fiber" because while I know that acne sufferers benefit immensely from a "magic medium" of 30-35 grams of fiber, I also know how so FEW people actually achieve such a high dietary fiber intake in the first place, let alone such specifics as falling within this ideal range and stinking the balance between soluble and insoluble fiber. I deliberately over-emphasize (infinite? you'd be eating forever!) an imprecise but very high conception of quantity so that the individual will eat enough to reach 30-35g, which does take a fair amount of work, even with fibrous food aplenty. It's like the doctor who tells his lung cancer patient "If you smoke one more cigarette you will absolutely die," because he knows that if he says anything less the patient won't take his warning seriously enough.

#10 paba

paba

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2005 - 06:28 AM

Well, I don't think it's necessary to eat 30-35 grams of fiber a day. Why should I eat so much fiber, when there's no proven health benefit?
On a low-carb-diet people eat much less fiber than 30-35 grams, yet they are still recovering from many diseases, especially diseases of the intestinal tract like colitis ulcerosa or morbus crohn. You might say, that you will get constipated, when you don't eat enough fiber. Well, constipation is a well known side effect of low-carb-diets, but it seems to be only a temperal side effect. Constipation usually goes away when the gut has time to heal. A lot of people report, that they get more regular on a low carb diet than they have ever been, even if they took fiber-supplements before. Constipation is not always a matter of not eating enough fiber. A higher amount of fiber will probably help with constipation in the short term. But in the long term it seems to rather aggravate it.

When I ate the so called "healthy" diet with about 30-35 grams of fiber a day, I always had soft and loose stools, which is not considered to be a sign of a healthy intestinal tract. Now, after 3 months on a low-carb diet, I have much better well-formed stools and I'm not constipated.
I eat very few fiber, I eat only about 70 grams of carbohydrates a day, which is covered basically by easy digestable ripe fruits and cooked vegetables.

#11 Antony

Antony

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2005 - 07:17 AM

Interesting paba. I'd love to know what your typical daily diet consists of.
Did you take up your low-carb diet for acne, weight, both, or just general health?
Is this Atkins specifically or something looser and broader than that?

Have you heard of Dr. Mercola's Metabolic Types diet, whereby you eat according to whether you are a carb type, protein type, etc.?

#12 myskinsucks

myskinsucks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2005 - 09:21 AM

I was told by a super smart acupuncturist to take 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil (with 10 drops of lemon juice) once a month for maintenance, to increase liver bile and function. If suffering from chronic acne, he suggested two times a week. I tried this for a while but just couldn't stomach swallowing it or putting it in 25 empty capsules with an eye dropper. I would be curious if anyone has heard this or tried it. I think it did improve my skin when I did this two times a week, but it is just too discusting to do anymore.

Anyway, I found a great page at http://www.dremilykane.com/acne.html
that really spells out how to improve liver function and acne.
It looks very comprehensive and looks very similar to your diet/regiment, Anthony. It includes prune juice too.

Treatments for Adult Acne

Acne is a very common disease of the tiny fat glands at the base of hair follicles. The purpose of these follicular glands, most prevalent on the face, is to keep the skin moisturized. Common bacteria can irritate the hair follicles, which ultimately causes the fat gland to rupture and impact the pore. This can lead to blackheads, whiteheads, or the more serious “zits� which are inflamed and pus-filled pores. Deep acne can create permanent scars. While stress and genetics are certainly contributing factors in acne, diet plays a major role. Another key factor is excess androgen (testosterone) production which increases the size and activity of the fat glands in the hair follicles. Concentrated minerals and vitamins can help improve your biochemistry and promote clear, healthy skin.

Top Four Treatment Approaches for Acne

Clean Up Your Diet To Improve Bowel And Liver Function

We all know that fatty foods are implicated in pimples – so make your best effort to completely eliminate pizza, fries and dairy products from your diet. What is less well known is the negative effect on the skin (and your health in general) from eating processed carbohydrates (candy, soda, commercial baked goods). Many dermatologists have noted insulin seems to help acne, which suggests that high refined carbohydrate diets contribute to the problem. People in a variety of cultures all over the world who eat only what they hunt or grow rarely have acne. While you are cleaning up your diet, you could increase the benefits by using a cleansing or detox program. Get a colonic 3-4 times yearly, and drink 16 ounces of liquid acidophilus right afterwards. Increase your daily consumption of green leafy vegetables. Use papaya enzymes to improve your digestion. Your digestive tract contains much of the highly active immune tissue in the body: Eating right and eliminating toxins daily will help not only your face, but your energy and well-being for the rest of your life. Figure out what it takes (vigorous exercise, prune juice, more water, ground flax seeds, etc.) to have a complete, easy-to-pass bowel movement at least once daily. Work with a nutritionally-oriented health care provider to sort out possible food allergens.

Take Healing Vitamins

High-dose Vitamin A is the most important. The prescription variety (Retinol) can damage your liver. Even natural Vitamin A, in high doses, can pose risks, it can be very effective in treating acne. It is imperative for women using high dose Vitamin A therapy to avoid pregnancy because of possible fetal malformation. Also, be forewarned that high dose Vitamin A will probably cause drying of lips and skin, and should not be used for longer than 3 continuous months. A recommended dose is 100,000 IUs daily for 4 weeks, then 75,000 IUs daily for 2-4 weeks, then 50,000 IUs daily for 2-4 weeks. This therapy works by reducing the fat (sebum) build-up in the pores. Another important fat-soluble vitamin for the skin is Vitamin D. Think of it as liquid sunshine. Acne is typically worse in the winter, and tends to be more severe in climates with lower levels of UV light. Sunburns are certainly not good for your skin, but lots of fresh air and a light tan from daily sun exposure generally improves the complexion. For those of you who live in climates with low or variable amounts of sunshine, or who have photosensitive skin, you can get Vitamin D in a bottle – good old Cod Liver Oil. Several companies make very tasty varieties (lemon/lime, orange, and even peach flavored). One teaspoon of Cod Liver Oil usually provides the requisite 400 IUs of Vitamin D daily. Cod Liver Oil is also an excellent source of Vitamin A. The importance of Vitamin C, as usual, cannot be overstated. It is the single most important agent in connective tissue healing, which includes skin repair. Use at least 2 grams of Vitamin C daily, ideally in a powdered form. All the B vitamins, including folic acid, help with both skin and nerve function, but niacin (Vitamin B3), applied topically, may be the most important of the B’s for treating acne. This is a new therapy, and probably works by enhancing local breakdown of androgens. Your local pharmacist should be able to provide niacin or niacinamide in a gel or spray form, which is applied after cleansing, twice daily until your skin improves.

Take Healing Minerals

Zinc is a co-factor in more than 75% of repair systems in the body. Use 50 mg twice daily or until the zinc tastes really metallic – a sign that your body has plenty of zinc on-board. Sulfur is a potent natural anti-microbial, and the main reason that garlic and onions are useful foods in speeding the healing of flus or infections. They are naturally high in sulfur compounds. Unless you are sensitive to sulfur (for example to the “sulfa� class of antibiotics), this bright yellow mineral may be an important adjunct to your skin healing routine. Look for a skin care multi that contains sulfur. I particularly like PhytoPharmica brand “Nature Derm� that provides 200 mg sulfur daily. Chromium (to stabilize blood sugar, which will help keep you out of the cookie jar), 200 mcg daily, and Selenium 200-400 mg daily, are two other important trace minerals, critical for optimum immune function.

Try To Avoid Harsh Chemicals Or Abrasive Scrubbing Agents On Your Skin

Minimize make-up, especially foundations. If possible, wash your face with water only: start with a warm washcloth, then splash with briskly cold water. You can close up your pores with a natural skin toner made with lemon/lime or rosewater. Aloe gel is nice if the skin feels hot or raw. For deep cleansing and rehydration consider an application of a beaten raw egg yolk. Leave on for 15 minutes before rinsing with water only. Occasionally you could use an over-the-counter benzyl peroxide product to “dry up� zits overnight. Be cautious about over-doing topical applications, however. It bears repeating that washing the face with water only is best, but if that doesn’t feel clean enough, use a gentle exfoliant (something oatmeal based is gentler than fruit seeds or fruit acids) followed by a light toner. Avoid soap because it is too drying for the skin.

#13 vince

vince

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2005 - 09:43 AM

As for your fasting protocol consisting of apples, an alternative to an enema would be to take a Psyllium Husk and Bentonite shake. This will soak up any toxins released into the bloodstream, but make sure to take on an empty stomach 3-4 times per day, while maintaining your regular consumption of ORGANIC apples. Good Luck.

#14 paba

paba

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2005 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE(Antony @ Apr 3 2005, 02:17 PM)
Interesting paba. I'd love to know what your typical daily diet consists of.

I already described my diet in the vegetarianism-thread. It's the 4th posting on this site:
http://www.acne.org/...pic=47554&st=40

Did you take up your low-carb diet for acne, weight, both, or just general health?
Is this Atkins specifically or something looser and broader than that?

I'm doing the low-carb diet basically for treating my acne, but I have some other health issues that I'm trying to get under control by low-carbing. Some of them have already been solved through my diet. Here are some effects, that I experienced so far (after 3 months on my low carb diet):

-my acne slowly became better, even though I don't take any supplements anymore besides fishoil. I'm not 100% clear though, I would say 98%. My skin has not been so clear since puberty. I'm 27 years old by the way.
-eczemas (or maybe psoriasis, i don't know exactly what it was) on my hands completely disapperead
-a wart, that I head on my ellbow for about 5 years, suddenly disappeared
-my brain fog syndrom, that often plagued me during several years, is almost gone. my head became clearer and I can concentrate better.
-i feel more calm and relaxed, which is a well-known very pleasant side effect of low-carb diets, maybe because the adrenals are less stressed on a low-carb-diet.
-my sleep, which has been quite superficial during the last years, seems to be a bit better now, although i still can't sleep through.
-I had some problems with hypoglycemia before. I often became hungry, even though I had a full meal one or two hours ago. With my low-cab-diet, it's much better. I'm better and longer satisfied after a meal now.
-I feel stronger!
-no back-ache anymore when I stay in bed for a long time. this issue disappeared alread, when I did the glutenfree diet.

I also had some temporal negative side effects like constipation and faintness. These are well known side effects at the beginning of low carb diets.

I don't want to loose weight with this diet by the way. Actually - and this may be surprising - I'm trying to gain weight! I've been slightly underweight for my whole life and I always wanted to gain some weight. I could always eat as much as I want, I didn't gain weight.
Wolfgang Lutz describes in his book "life without bread", that a low-carb-diet is also suitable for people who have difficulties gaining weight, because it helps them to gain weight. He says that he successfully treated a lot of patients with a underweight-problem. He even says, that underweight people profit the most from a low-carb-diet. Interestingly, Wolfgang Lutz observed, that underweight people further loose some pounds during the first year on the diet, but than they usually gain weight until they get their ideal weight. I found this observations from Wolfgang Lutz VERY interesting and it's another reason why I started low-carbing.

Have you heard of Dr. Mercola's Metabolic Types diet, whereby you eat according to whether you are a carb type, protein type, etc.?

View Post

Yes, I know Dr. Mercola's opinions quite well and I have quite some respect for most of them. The metabolic typing is an interesting approach, but it's not so well supportet by scientific facts like low carb diets.

#15 lexilex

lexilex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2005 - 10:07 PM

word up antony...

this program looks great, and although i am bummed for you that you haven't gotten the golden go-ahead Rx for accutane, i am impressed that you have taken this all into your own hands and gotten some great results. mazel tov! i've done various fasts in the past with positive outcomes (the mastercleanser cleaned up my acne very well)... and actually the spring is a great time to do a fast...

that said, i was wondering about the apple fast and accutane. i am presently on a pretty high dose (80mg/day--i am 125lbs, you can read my journal here http://www.acne.org/...howtopic=43293). since accutane is metabolized better when injested with fat, will the effectiveness of the accutane be compromised if i only eat apples? (ie, no fat?)

--golden delicious
aka: lexi

#16 sweetjude

sweetjude

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2005 - 10:06 AM

Hi Antony,

First of all, let me congratulate on what you have compiled here, it seems pretty sensible.
Just a couple of questions...
First, do you eat your fruits after all other kinds of food or before them? According to ayurveda (and a lot of other, more modern theories), it is best if you eat them BEFORE other foods, because they activate different digestive enzimes and they are digested much faster. If you eat them after your meal, they will become rotten in your bowels. Actually, ayurveda has a very strict hierarchy of different food types according to their time of digestion. It is interesting, you may want to have a look at it to improve your program further...

Another question about liver flush.. A week or so ago I have read your little argument with Denise on this topic. There it seemed to me that you were against flushing. Or, more precisely, you wrote that you think it is a thorough internal cleanse, but it does no actually clean the liver. Have you altered your opinion since? Cos I just want you to know that I've done 3 flushes so far and they dramatically improved the condition of my skin. Less oil, less blemishes, less chapped lips and hands. After my own experience and research on Curezone I believe that these are actually cholesterol globs coming from the liver. I've literally felt them coming out of my liver when flushing..

Good luck with yor program!

Jude

#17 Antony

Antony

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:34 PM

Jude: the foods are not written in order consumed on my menu, i wasn't that meticulous in transcribing them, but in my own real-life implementation of the menu i do in fact start each meal with a piece of raw food, usually an apple, as both ayurvedic medicine and the science of digestive enzymes agree that it is best to initiate the digestive process during a meal with something that your stomach has evolved to recognize and efficiently metabolize, as opposed to a Twinkie ;-). As for the great liver flush debate, I know I must seem in that thread to be a diehard detractor of all things even slightly unsubstantiated. Truth is, I change my opinion on the liver flush EVERY day, not least because I'd like to think I'm open-minded enough to recognize when something works for myself and countless others even when it seemingly contradicts what my textbooks tell me to believe. My feeling on the flush now is that it does genuinely stimulate the outlflow of stagnat bile from the gallbladder, a sort of bilious cholesterol, with possibly minute traces of bilirubin, albumin and phospatase, effectively detoxifying and exonerating the metabolic burdens upon both liver and gallbladder and enhancing their synergistic relationship as metabolic and detoxifying organs. This evidently bolsters general health and is vital for the health of one's skin. My dislike of the liver flush ideologically is when its proponents go on and on about purging "gallstones," which then of course starts a whole debate on calcification, sinking vs floating, immense pain vs passing nausea, and all the rest. The medical basis for a case for liver flushes would certainly recognize a better liver-gallbladder ability to assist as they do in the metabolism of fats as greatly benefiting the skin and esp. acne by reducing then the role of the fat glands (i.e. oil glands, as oil is fat in liquid form) in overexcreting oil through the thusly enlarged, blockage-prone pores of the skin.

lexilex, i would not recommend this fast or any variation on a fast while on accutane. Isotretinoin is a controlled form of vitamin a poisoning that places great immunological and internal stress on your body, requiring you to hold yourself together nutritionally and metabolically as well as you can. there is some conjecture that skinnier people are more prone to depression on accutane because the drug acts by seeking out desensitizing the receptors on cells involved in fat metabolism (it being pharmacologically engineered to do this because the oil glands in the skin causing acne are fat glands of a certain kind); ingesting the drug with a fatty meal ensures its absorption and action upon fat cells as it is metabolized by the body using the same digestive enzymes as those for fats (lipase). the conjecture goes that in the body of someone with relatively low body fat percentage the accutane seeks out alternative fat glands besides the oil glands in the skin-- and as the brain is composed of fat, the accutane attempts to desensitize cell receptors in the brain that respond to hormones and biochemicals in a similar way to how oil gland receptors behave; as dopamine (happy chemical, secreted when in love, having sex or on E) is chemically very similar to androgens in how it "talks" to receptors, the action of dopamine on the brain is thus apparently reduced, producing differing degrees of the symptoms of depression in slimmer Accutane patients. Please bear in mind this is TOTAL conjecture with just a sliver of scientific backing; the reported sideaffects of depression may be entirely psychosomatic, non-causal, incidental and entirely non-physiological. I find it paradoxical that Accutane's absorption is optimal if ingested with fats and yet they tell you to reduce intake of dietary fat while on the drug as it can cause an elevation in blood fats (triglycerides). Weird. The point is, however you look at it, I would not try anything that even temporarily seeks to starve your body of proper nutrition (except with excess vitamin A-rich foods perhaps ;-) while on Accutane. However, AFTER your Accutane and indeed right away, I think that a liver flush followed by liver cleansing and building herbs would be OUTSTANDING and even vital to resurrect your liver after its crucifixion by Accutane for the greater good of clearer skin. hope your course is going and continues to go well ;-)

vince: thanks for the tip about bentonite and psyllium husk shakes, i'd taken both separatley before but i think i'll take your tip and combine them next time during a fast-flush.

msykinsucks: that's a great link that you so much for that. i look forward to reading through the site in greater detail. it's nice to know that my program is backed up in so many ways.
the intermittent use of olive oil and citrus works basically as a MINI-FLUSH, keeping your bile, gallbladder and liver consistently in peak operating condition. i think that this would work very well esp. if combined with 2-week cycling between liver cleansing and building herbs.

paba: your diet looks promising. as it is i generally don't take in many carbs and try to get as much protein as i can. like you i've been what bodybuilders call a "hardgainer" my whole life, not least as i'm just coming out of adolescence at 21 with a lanky, pale white look, i get self-conscious and work out a lot to try and buff up. i think that for acne sufferers when it comes to metabolism, they tend to not secret enough lipase but they do have enough amylase for carbs; i think their digestive systems are not as adept at metabolizing fats and this can result in overactivity of the fat glands in the skin producing excess oil to excrete improperly metabolized fats. this for example is wholly consistent with hit leung's and the whole pro-B5 camps arguments for the particular efficacy of B5's action on the skin.

#18 t-glo2

t-glo2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:47 PM

hey Antony, i totally believe in this kind of stuff, thank you for giving us suggestions on ways on how to change our diets etc.! i have modified my diet as well and notice that i've cleared up~ so i want to try your methods, like the fast & flush and keep you updated =P one thing though, the apples.. do they have to be organic? cuz my mom and i had an argument about how 'organic' stuff is bad for you =( and she won't let me buy them.. and as for the epsom salts.. i never knew u can consume them O_O

#19 sweetjude

sweetjude

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:52 PM

Antony, I was referring to fruits and not raw food in general. Actually, I'm pretty much involved in researching ayurveda and chinese medicine these days. Ayurveda makes a distinction btw fruit and veggies, raw or not. It says that you must only eat fruits before any other type of food. Vegetables you can eat with grains for example. Chinese medicine takes an interesting standpoint on raw food. It says that raw food is in fact hard to digest, especially for some individuals. Therefore it advises not to eat any raw food after 4, sometimes even after 2 o'clock in the afternoon. Interesting. I think we need to research more about digestion.

Jude

#20 Antony

Antony

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:05 PM

t-glo2: the apples should be organic because when they are not your body and namely your liver has the additional toxic burden of pesticides to filter and eliminate from your system-- you can literally taste the filmy coating of pesticides on the non-organic apple. For general consumption you can get away with non-organic fruits, though frankly they are almost always of noticeably inferior taste and nutritional quality-- but at least for the purposes of this fast you should ensure that your apples are organic. This is because you are getting your body to shift into a cleansing mode, and if you subject it to too many toxins, pollutants, impurities or artificial things this will severely inhibit your body successfully doing this-- it will be hard enough to effectively detox when you will still be exposing your body to smog/pollution, second-hand cigarette smoke, toxins in tap water, etc. So too ensure your body starts cleansing and your liver starts detoxifying, the goal is to remove as much digestive and metabolic burden from your stomach, intestines, liver, gallbladder, etc., as possible, and the best way to achieve this is with a high-liquid, high-fiber, low-calorie, cleansing detox like the apple fast culminating in the liver flush. You may also opt for the additionally bowel-cleansing psyllium husk and bentonite shake suggested by myskinsucks, to do each day during the apple fast to ensure open and efficient channels of elimination so that all the built up impurities can quickly be excreted from your system as they are freed up for elimination, instead of loitering around and potentially making you nauseous, fatigued and even possibly feverish during the fast-flush. Generally you can expect a mild sickness during the fast-flush but this is a sign that it is purging your system of these toxins and impurities; the more toxic you are, the more intense this will be. Ensuring your system is primed to eliminate these toxins right away will ease this process, so it is a good idea to do either nightly enemas, daily psyllium and bentonite shakes, and/or 1 tablespoon cream of tartar in a mug of green tea with a few drops of lemon every morning upon rising and every night upon retiring.

sweetjude: that's extremely interesting. i don't think that i would go quite so far myself as to avoid raw vegetables and to only ever consume fruit at the start of meals, etc., but that is something I think I will read more about.