Photo

Blastocystis Hominis (parasite)

gluten candida

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 LeetLeetLoo

LeetLeetLoo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2005 - 01:36 PM

My nutritionist had me do a stool sample. It came back with YEAST (two types: Candida Glabrata and Prototheca Wickerhamii) and this parasite called "BLASTOCYSTIS HOMINIS." I am also low on "good bacteria". Has anyone else been treated for Blastocystis Hominis parasite? I am doing a Candida Cleanse right now so I will continue avoiding sugar, dairy, gluten, fermented products, caffeine etc. I am now going to add "good bacteria". She recommended a couple products for increasing my good bacteria ("bioK" and "dolphis" - sp?). It is nice to have som DATA for a change. On the flip side, this parasite is extremely difficult to eliminate. One option is antibiotics but I don't want to go that route. My acne is driving me nuts... perhaps getting rid of this parasite will help matters....

#2 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2005 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE(LeetLeetLoo @ Mar 25 2005, 02:36 PM)
My nutritionist had me do a stool sample. It came back with YEAST (two types: Candida Glabrata and Prototheca Wickerhamii) and this parasite called "BLASTOCYSTIS HOMINIS." I am also low on "good bacteria". Has anyone else been treated for Blastocystis Hominis parasite? I am doing a Candida Cleanse right now so I will continue avoiding sugar, dairy, gluten, fermented products, caffeine etc. I am now going to add "good bacteria". She recommended a couple products for increasing my good bacteria ("bioK" and "dolphis" - sp?). It is nice to have som DATA for a change. On the flip side, this parasite is extremely difficult to eliminate. One option is antibiotics but I don't want to go that route. My acne is driving me nuts... perhaps getting rid of this parasite will help matters....

View Post

Don't go the antibiotic route if you have candida. What kind of things are you allowed to eat. Any fruit? Curious, as my husband also was diagnosed with blastocystis. I'll ask him what he did. Meanwhile, any more info would be great. How old are you if you don't mind my asking?

#3 LeetLeetLoo

LeetLeetLoo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2005 - 08:57 PM

I agree -- no antibiotics. No way. I would LOVE to hear about your husband's experience combating blastocystis.

For the candida cleanse: no sugar whatsoever, no dairy, no caffeine, no wheat products, no fermented products (vinegar, soy sauce, alcohol, pickles). The no sugar part is very rigorous -- no honey, corn syrus, rice syrum, fructose. I can have a sour apple here and there but no fruit. The first 10 days were brutal. I was really craving sugar a lot and I consider myself a very healthy eater. It's amazing how much it is everywhere.

I am 34, female. I've had acne since I was 15 or so. SICK OF IT.

The nutrionist recommended a couple of things for blastocystis: increasing the "beneficial bacteria" with Dolophis and another product that is sold in the refridgearated vitamin section of Whole Goods. I will check for the name if you are interested. It ends in a K and is pretty pricey. Supposedly, it is very good. It's dairy based so I will probably go with the Dolophis instead. She also recommended these special Oregano supplements. I am not going to take these b/c in a few months, I'm going to try to get pregnant. She didn't think the Oregano was a good idea for me if I was trying to get pregnant.

Hope this helps... please let me know @ your husband.

#4 zigzag

zigzag

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2005 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE(LeetLeetLoo @ Mar 27 2005, 09:57 PM)
For the candida cleanse: no sugar whatsoever, no dairy, no caffeine, no wheat products, no fermented products (vinegar, soy sauce, alcohol, pickles). The no sugar part is very rigorous -- no honey, corn syrus, rice syrum, fructose. I can have a sour apple here and there but no fruit. The first 10 days were brutal. I was really craving sugar a lot and I consider myself a very healthy eater. It's amazing how much it is everywhere.

View Post

So what do you eat? :-/

#5 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2005 - 09:32 PM

Well the hominis part is familar, but I never learned about this particular parasite and well according to what's said below this may be why:

Blastocystis hominis Infection
(BLASS-toe-SIS-tiss  HOM-in-iss)

What is Blastocystis hominis?

Blastocystis hominis is a common microscopic parasitic organism found throughout the world. Infection with Blastocystis hominis is called blastocystosis (BLASS-toe-SIS-toe-sis.)

What are the symptoms of infection with Blastocystis?

Watery or loose stools, diarrhea, abdominal pain, anal itching, weight loss, and excess gas have all been reported in persons with Blastocystis infection. Many people have no symptoms at all.

How long will I be infected?
Blastocystis can remain in the intestines for weeks, months, or years.

Is Blastocystis hominis the cause of my symptoms?
It is hard to be sure, and experts disagree on this point. Whether or not B. hominis is the primary cause of your symptoms is unknown. Finding Blastocystis in stool samples should be followed up with a careful search for other possible causes of your symptoms.

Symptoms may be caused by infection with other parasitic organisms, bacteria, or viruses. Often, B. hominis is found along with other such organisms that are more likely to be the cause of your symptoms.

Sometimes symptoms are not caused by an infection at all. Antibiotics, some cancer drugs, and medications used to control high blood pressure may be causing your symptoms. Hormone or endocrine diseases, diseases like Crohn’s, colitis, or hereditary factors may be the cause of illness. Food additives or food allergies may also be a cause of abdominal discomfort.

Is having blastocystosis common?
Yes; in fact many people have Blastocystis, some without ever having symptoms.

What should I do if I think I have blastocystosis?
See your health care provider who will ask you to provide stool samples for testing. Diagnosis may be difficult, so you may be asked to submit several stool samples.

Is medication available to treat blastocystosis?
Yes; drugs are available by prescription to treat blastocystosis; however, sometimes medication is not effective.

How did I get blastocystosis?
It’s hard to say. How Blastocystis is transmitted is unknown, although the number of people infected seems to increase in areas where sanitation and personal hygiene is inadequate.

How can I prevent infection with Blastocystis?

Wash hands with soap and water after using the toilet and before handling food.
Avoid water or food that may be contaminated.
Wash and peel all raw vegetables and fruits before eating.
When traveling in countries where the water supply may be unsafe, avoid drinking unboiled tap water and avoid uncooked foods washed with unboiled tap water. Bottled or canned carbonated beverages, seltzers, pasteurized fruit drinks, and steaming hot coffee and tea are safe to drink.

If you work in a child care center where you change diapers, be sure to wash your hands thoroughly with plenty of soap and warm water after every diaper change, even if you wear gloves.

Should I be concerned about spreading infection to the rest of my household?

No. If you practice adequate personal hygiene, including thorough hand washing with soap and warm water after using the toilet and before handling food, there is little risk of spreading infection.
http://www.cdc.gov/n...tis_hominis.htm

Pictures:
http://www.cdfound.to.it/HTML/bla1.htm

All I know is that they did a parasite check on me and while I saw some odd things in my sample, in the end nothing came up as being present. For me my problem was that I ended up droppping too much fiber when I went Gluten-Free, but once I fixed that, no more IBS issues...phew ;-)

#6 LeetLeetLoo

LeetLeetLoo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2005 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE(zigzag @ Mar 27 2005, 07:29 PM)
So what do you eat? :-/

View Post

Quinoa, beans, eggs, salad, chicken, some steak, fish, some tofu, almonds, sunflower seeds (but I have over eating these)...

#7 secondregent

secondregent

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:10 PM

Thanks for creating this thread. I think i'lll go and get my stool analysed as well, it'll be quite telling i feel. Thanks.

#8 LeetLeetLoo

LeetLeetLoo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:17 PM

Yes, I think it's a good idea. I wish I had done this earlier actually... there is a lot of data gathered in the stool analysis.