Photo

Best Multivitamin?

vitamin vitamins probiotic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 joepublic

joepublic

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2005 - 06:42 PM

What dyu recommend? I am using Tescos probiotics at the mo...

#2 lauryn

lauryn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:29 PM

i like Vitamedica

#3 conan

conan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2005 - 03:16 AM

What I don't understand about multivitamins is why they give you 100% of the RDA for most, if not all vitamins. Do they expect you to not eat anything nutritious for the whole day?

#4 dantecubit

dantecubit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2005 - 05:27 PM

What dyu recommend? I am using Tescos probiotics at the mo...

The best multivitamins are high quality, pharmaceutical-purity brands such as Life Extension and AOR. You can find them on froogle. LE has a 2-a-day formula. If those are too much, go to a local natural foods or vitamin store (not pharmacy or grocery) that does a lot of business and ask them what they recommend.

What I don't understand about multivitamins is why they give you 100% of the RDA for most, if not all vitamins. Do they expect you to not eat anything nutritious for the whole day?

It's just insurance that you're getting all the nutrients you need. For example, here in BC a lot of selenium is washed from the soil by rain. Since low selenium has been linked to prostate cancer, it only makes good sense to supplement. Plus, today's food is a lot less nutritious than even 30 years ago. A comparison of the USDA's food nutrient tables shows this-- there's less of virtually all vitamins and minerals.

#5 conan

conan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2005 - 06:16 PM

I'm worried about ingesting a great deal more than 100% of the RDA for substances like iron, since I eat 7-8 portions of fruits/vegetables every day.

#6 dantecubit

dantecubit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2005 - 01:44 AM

I'm worried about ingesting a great deal more than 100% of the RDA for substances like iron, since I eat 7-8 portions of fruits/vegetables every day.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: if you're a guy (or a menopausal woman) don't get a multivitamin with iron. You don't need it. Good point, Conan.
Other signs of good multivit: at least 100 mcg of selenium, natural (d-alpha, not dl-alpha) vitamin E, high magnesium-calcium ratio (ideally 1:1), inclusion of beta carotene and vitamin A (vitamin A not more than 10,000 IU), chelated minerals such as zinc and selenium

#7 tseng

tseng

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2005 - 06:21 AM

i use selenium immuneace. It has all the good vitimins A to E and also it has many other extras including selenium. This is very helpful.

There are excellent but rather expensive.

Another option is the Centrum barnd.

#8 Antony

Antony

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2005 - 06:58 AM

Anyone and everyone who has acne should not only be taking a multivitamin but supplementing with additional quantities of:

beta-carotene/vitamin A (equivalent to 50,000IU/day) -- unless on Accutane
vitamins B (2 tablets B-Complex/day)
C (1-3g/day)
E (800IU-1200IU/day)
zinc (50-100mg/day)
selenium (200-400micrograms/day)
chromium (2 tablets/day)
saw palmetto 4-6 capsules/day for males
chastetree berry 4-6 capsules/day for females
acidophiuls 1 capsule with breakfast, lunch and dinner

I challenge anyone with mild to moderate acne who does not currently supplement to take the above daily supplementation program EXACTLY as detailed and to call me a sissybitch if they do not experience significant improvement in their acne after at least 3 weeks of consistent use.

#9 conan

conan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2005 - 07:35 AM

I'm struggling to find a multivitamin that doesn't contain iron, but does contain selenium. I'll have to try the nearest Health Food shop.