Photo

I need clarification

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 GuardedlyOptimistic

GuardedlyOptimistic

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:26 AM

Hello,

I've been lurking on this board for a few days. I commend your efforts, but is eliminating sugar or dairy wholly possible? Sugar is in everything not to mention you need sugar. Dairy: meh, it's loaded with antibiotics, growth hormones and pus so I understand it's easy to eliminate with some determination. I'm wondering how you guys do it though. How do you restrict your diet so severely?

Thanks. I'm just looking to be further educated.

#2 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE(GuardedlyOptimistic @ Mar 22 2005, 12:26 PM)
Hello,

I've been lurking on this board for a few days. I commend your efforts, but is eliminating sugar or dairy wholly possible? Sugar is in everything not to mention you need sugar. Dairy: meh, it's loaded with antibiotics, growth hormones and pus so I understand it's easy to eliminate with some determination. I'm wondering how you guys do it though. How do you restrict your diet so severely?

Thanks. I'm just looking to be further educated.

View Post

It is totally possible! Added sugars - sugar, honey, etc.... refined carbs - white flour, cookies, bagels, cereals, buns, etc....You have to be a label detective for sure as sugar lurks everywhere.

Just get sugars from fruits and veggies.

#3 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:30 AM

It's not really hard. We're only eliminating refined sugars and the like so sugars from fruits and veggies are still fine. Also, milk products are easy to remove, just cook your own foods and stop eating any refined, ready to eat foods and you're all set.

#4 GuardedlyOptimistic

GuardedlyOptimistic

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:40 AM

Thanks guys but eliminating "honey, etc.... refined carbs - white flour, cookies, bagels, cereals, buns" that's pretty restrictive. As a vegetarian, what would I eat?
Help!

#5 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE(GuardedlyOptimistic @ Mar 22 2005, 10:40 AM)
Thanks guys but eliminating "honey, etc.... refined carbs - white flour, cookies, bagels, cereals, buns" that's pretty restrictive. As a vegetarian, what would I eat?
Help!

View Post

Hmm, you can still eat some grains like Quinoa and Amaranth. Depending how it affects your acne, you can still probably eat carbs in the form of bread as long as it's either sprouted or whole grain.

#6 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE(GuardedlyOptimistic @ Mar 22 2005, 12:40 PM)
Help!

View Post

You need to talk with bloodcries. He is also vegan. There's alot to choose from.

Grains can be quinoa, amaranth, whole grain brown basmati rice, millet, barley, whole oats

Veggies - ALL - cooked and raw salads

Fruits - ALL - some people have trouble with bananas

Beans - LOTS OF FIBER

Nuts - walnuts are best

#7 xmarysue

xmarysue

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2005 - 02:53 PM

i think it's just a matter of changing habit. i was a little skepital at first too... but now find i enjoy foods more than ever. it's amazing how much processed/overly sweetened foods deadened my tastebuds. fruits and veggies really can be delicious!
instead of running to the store to buy bagels, breads, all the usual, you switch to trying new and exciting things. such as listed in above posts. i eat out plenty and work in an environment where high sugar items are constantly in the vicinity. i just make different choices. once you start seeing results, it's motivation enough to keep on the crusade. best of luck!!

#8 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2005 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE(GuardedlyOptimistic @ Mar 22 2005, 10:40 AM)
Help!

View Post

I'm a vegan. I eat lots of veggies, quinoa, brown rice, beans (lentils, chickpeas, adzuki, split peas), tofu, tempeh, sunflower seeds, nut butters, hummus, avocadoes. I even eat sprouted grain bread and brown rice pasta sometimes. I often make smoothies with frozen berries, a banana and soymilk or apple juice. I avoid refined sugar, but I do use maple syrup or brown rice syrup when I make cookies, and agave nectar in my tea. (Sweetjade says agave nectar is a no-no, though, gotta get some xylitol smile.gif ). If I have a sweet tooth, I make up some no bake cookies, which are peanut butter, oats, maple syrup (or mashed dates), and raisins or dried cranberries. Make them into balls and roll them in coconut.

I make sure to eat a big salad every day. I usually have it mid-afternoon, as my after school snack or as lunch on my off-days. I put a variety of vegetables in there, parsley and chives, sunflower seeds, sometimes green olives, and dress it with olive or flax oil, balsamic vinegar, tamari, black pepper, seaweed flakes and nutritional yeast.
For dinner last night, I had salad, split pea soup and baked tofu.

I just had my breakfast, which was onions, garlic, cabbage, carrots and chickpeas sauteed in coconut oil, and a half an avocado on sprouted grain bread.

Some people around here avoid some of the things that I eat, but maybe this will give you some ideas to get you started. You definitely have to cook for yourself, and if you're used to eating prepackaged things, this will take some adjusting. I was a vegan before I got acne, and always kind of a "health nut" so this doesn't feel restrictive to me. Sometimes it helps to read a good health book that details all the other benefits you'll reap from a healthy diet to motivate you. Years ago, I read a book by Marilu Henner about her struggle with diet and what giving up sugar, processed food, etc did for her. It really was a starting point for me. One problem is that there are books that promote veganism, but usually promote lots of whole grains (not necessarily bad), but then no-grain diet books that promote lean protein in the form of meat! You have to kind of combine and customize the info if you're a low-grain eating vegan!

BTW everyone, I just got a cookbook from the library yesterday called Mother Nature's Garden. It's vegan and has lots of wheat-free recipes, including some desserts, cookies, scones, muffins etc that look awesome. It even has some wheat-free pie crust recipes with oats and nuts, or one with brown rice flour. None of the recipes use sugar or honey. Many are sweetened with things like raisins or yams! Yum.

#9 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2005 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE(cjb @ Mar 22 2005, 04:39 PM)
I'm a vegan.  I eat lots of veggies, quinoa, brown rice, beans (lentils, chickpeas, adzuki, split peas), tofu, tempeh, sunflower seeds, nut butters, hummus, avocadoes.  I even eat sprouted grain bread and brown rice pasta sometimes.  I often make smoothies with frozen berries, a banana and soymilk or apple juice.  I avoid refined sugar, but I do use maple syrup or brown rice syrup when I make cookies, and agave nectar in my tea.  (Sweetjade says agave nectar is a no-no, though, gotta get some xylitol smile.gif ). If I have a sweet tooth, I make up some no bake cookies, which are peanut butter, maple syrup (or mashed dates), oats and raisins or dried cranberries.  Make them into balls and roll them in coconut.

I make sure to eat a big salad every day.  I usually have it mid-afternoon, as my after school snack or as lunch on my off-days.  I put a variety of vegetables in there, parsley and chives, sunflower seeds, sometimes green olives, and dress it with olive or flax oil, balsamic vinegar, tamari, black pepper, seaweed flakes and nutritional yeast.
For dinner last night, I had salad, split pea soup and baked tofu.

I just had my breakfast, which was onions, garlic, cabbage, carrots and chickpeas sauteed in coconut oil, and a half an avocado on sprouted grain bread.

Some people around here avoid some of the things that I eat, but maybe this will give you some ideas to get you started.  You definitely have to cook for yourself, and if you're used to eating prepackaged things, this will take some adjusting.  I was a vegan before I got acne, and always kind of a "health nut" so this doesn't feel restrictive to me.  Sometimes it helps to read a good health book that details all the other benefits you'll reap from a healthy diet to motivate you.  Years ago, I read a book by Marilu Henner about her struggle with diet and what giving up sugar, processed food, etc did for her.  It really was a starting point for me.  One problem is that there are books that promote veganism, but usually promote lots of whole grains (not necessarily bad), but then no-grain diet books that promote lean protein in the form of meat!  You have to kind of combine and customize the info if you're a low-grain eating vegan!

BTW everyone, I just got a cookbook from the library yesterday called Mother Nature's Garden.  It's vegan and has lots of wheat-free recipes, including some desserts, cookies, scones, muffins etc that look awesome.  It even has some wheat-free pie crust recipes with oats and nuts, or one with brown rice flour.  None of the recipes use sugar or honey.  Many are sweetened with things like raisins or yams! Yum.

View Post

You may have said so and I didn't see it, but how is your acne?

#10 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:05 PM

[quote=Minnym0use,Mar 22 2005, 02:44 PM]
You may have said so and I didn't see it, but how is your acne?

View Post

[/quote/]

Right now, I'm clear except for a few small milia. I'm not sure I can attribute it all to diet though. Acne sort of hit me on the head about a year ago. It was pretty mild, but I'm 26, and had never had any before except the occassional pimple. Last fall it got worse and that's when I found this website. I started taking 6g of B5 in January and that worked like a charm and cleared me up in just over a month. I promised myself that I would take the B5 as a way to kickstart being clear and then work on cleansing and diet modification while I was on it. Like I said, I've been a vegan and a "health nut" for years and always strived to eat well, but I ate way too much bread/wheat products, sugar, drank too much coffee and my boyfriend would buy things like fake soy sausage, which is full of preservatives and other crap. So I've started to be disciplined about what I know I should be eating. I came off the B5 about 2 weeks ago and so far, so good, so we'll see what happens. I still plan on doing some liver flushing.

I've also done a few other things, such as starting every day with 2 glasses of lemon water with 1/2 or 1 whole lemon, and following that with fresh juice as often as possible. While on the B5, I had to drink copious amounts of water, so I've continued with that habit, about 100 oz a day or more.

#11 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:23 PM

CIB

You really have an awesome diet. I just bought some of the sprouted bread today for my son since he hasn't had any in almost 3 months. I think it is the refinement more than let's say "wheat". And of course the thing that are added to breads are also a no no. Is that your conclusion? How much do you eat of it and have you tried the sprouted tortillas?