Photo

Nutritional Yeast

vitamin vitamins

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2005 - 07:18 PM

Anyone use this? I'm thinking of slowly adding it to my diet, maybe by mixing a spoon with juice because it's such a good source of B-vitamins and other nutrients as well. I'm looking at Kal Nutritional Flakes, anyone use this brand? What's the taste like and how about it affecting your acne?

#2 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2005 - 08:38 PM

I love nutritional yeast, if for nothing else than the taste. I have no idea what brand I get because I buy it in bulk. It's delicious sprinkled on steamed veggies with a little tamari. I put it on salad sometimes. It's great on popcorn, pasta (kind of like a parmesan sub), soup. I could put it on just about every entree I eat, but I usually limit it to one meal a day.
Some people have problems with yeasts, and I guess one should avoid it if they have candida, but other than that, it is a good source of b vitamins, esp. for vegans.

#3 edenfield

edenfield

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2005 - 08:50 PM

this is fine to have with candida

#4 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2005 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE(edenfield @ Mar 20 2005, 07:50 PM)
this is fine to have with candida

View Post

Really? Everything I've ever read says otherwise. Guess I could be wrong.. that happens sometimes wink.gif

#5 edenfield

edenfield

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2005 - 10:24 PM

yup candida feeds on undigested food. so some people digest...ugh sorry i can't explain this well tongue.gif

visit askshelley.com

#6 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:10 AM

QUOTE(edenfield @ Mar 20 2005, 09:24 PM)
yup candida feeds on undigested food. so some people digest...ugh sorry i can't explain this well tongue.gif

visit askshelley.com

View Post

Well from what I read a while back, it shouldn't interfere because its' dead yeast where as other types are alive and may contribute to yeast infections. Anyway, I'm definately going to see if my local natural food stores carry this stuff, sounds like it might be way yummier than brewer's yeast. ;-)

FYI:
Here's what I have learned about nutritional yeast...this is copied and pasted from another message board I belong to. I don't have much info on brewers yeast.

It has been confusing to me in the past, and now I think I understand a lot more about nutritional yeast. This comes from "The Uncheese Cookbook" by Joanne Stepaniak.
Nutritional yeast, saccharomyces cerevisaie, is a natural whole plant grown as a food crop. It is prized for its delicious, cheesy taste and high nutritional content. It is a reliable source of high-quality, easily assimilated protien and is the formost natural shource of B-complex vitamins. It is easy to recognize because of its yellow color which ranges from light tan to bright gold. It is an inactive yeast which means it has no fermenting power as does the live yeast used in leavening and brewing, rendering it more digestible. Nutritional yeast is NOT dried torula, a yeast like organism which is grown on waste products from the wood pulp industry, nor is it brewers yeast or baking yeast. None of these products should ever be substituted in recipes calling for nutritional yeast.
Some brands of nutritional yeast have been combined with WHEY, a by product of cheese processing. Pure nutrional yeast does not contain whey or other dairy products, so read the product labels carefully.
When kept in a cool dry place, the physical characteristics and nutritive values of nutritional yeast remain unchanged for long periods.

Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula is one good brand to look for. It's not available at any of the places that I shop, so I've found a suitable replacement. I used to get mine out of the bulk bins at my local co-op but then I learned that it wasn't supplying nearly the same nutritional value as the kind meant for vegetarian support. I've also run into the kind that is made with whey, so you really do have to be careful.
The kind that I buy is from a company called "KAL" It comes in a big yellow canister, similar to a coffee tin. It was less than $7.00 for 12 oz (by weight). I found it in the supplements section of Whole Foods, near the rest of the vegetarian and B-12 stuff - on the lowest shelf because of the size of the canister I suppose.
It says on the package that it is grown on molassas.
I use mine in tofu scramble, I sprinkle it on veggies, I sprinkle it on toast, popcorn, pasta, rice, etc. The cookbook I mentioned above is really helpful too.
According to the package, a serving is one scoop...the scoop looks like it's about a quarter cup?? I'm not certian though. One scoop provides (here's only a sample of a few nutritional values)
130% of B12
480% of B6
60% of Folic acid
640% of B1
570% of B2
and the list goes on and on!!

Whew! Hopefully I've answered some of your questions!
Good luck!
-Sally

PS...this company has a website and they sell the Red Star vegetarian support online.

http://www.chreese.com/index.php

http://www.veggieboa...php/t-4801.html

#7 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:23 PM

Wow, maybe I need to check what brand is in the bulk bin at my healthfood store; make sure it has B12.

#8 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE(cjb @ Mar 22 2005, 03:23 PM)
Wow, maybe I need to check what brand is in the bulk bin at my healthfood store; make sure it has B12.

View Post

Yeah definately do that. If you are taking a multiple vitamin though you are probably getting enough B12 if it doesn't have enough The amount for the Red Star Vegetarian Support is 133% for 2 tbs and I've seen far more B12 than that in basic muliple or super multple vitamins so is that enough for you? Also, I came across a few sites that were selling larger bulks and they used the Red Star (T6635) manufactured by Lesaffre, if that helps. Oh and, I finally gave in and just got through purchasing a lb of Red Star and almost one of everything that was Gluten-Free on the Chreese website and, for those interested, here's a 15% off coupon code good through December 2005: VWEB05 I keep hearing how it's gooood on popcorn, for cheese, etc so I'm guessing it must have some sort of buttery, cheesy, egg flavor. LOL, what's your take?

Take care

#9 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2005 - 10:00 PM

I don't take a multi vitamin, but do take a b-complex, though not religiously.
The yeast is really good on popcorn, and you're right, it is kind of a cheesy, buttery flavor; a good parmesan substitute.

#10 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2005 - 09:23 AM

Well, I picked up some nut. yeast at the store today. I got a whole 32 cents worth just to try it out and it tastes pretty good along with having a really nice aroma. It's sort of a melange of butter and cheese flavors.