5 replies to this topic

#1 daytonasurf

daytonasurf

I'm a badass.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2005 - 02:36 PM

I've recently changed my milk to the hormone free kind. Pretty expensive. Do you know if its the hormones in normal like that supposodly cause acne?

#2 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2005 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE(daytonasurf @ Mar 17 2005, 03:36 PM)
I've recently changed my milk to the hormone free kind. Pretty expensive. Do you know if its the hormones in normal like that supposodly cause acne?

View Post

Here's one of my favorite articles that helps explain.

Got zits? Try wiping off that milk mustache!

Will drinking milk make you greasy, grimy, and pimply? Some doctors suspect that the fat, animal protein, sugar, and hormones in milk irritate the skin, causing break-outs.

Dr. Jerome K. Fisher conducted a clinical study of 1,088 teen-age patients over 10 years and reported to the American Dermatological Association that milk was a principal contributor to some patients' acne. Dr. Fisher found that their acne tapered off as their milk consumption did.

Dr. Fisher noted that dairy products often contain large amounts of butterfat and milk sugar, both of which, he believed, aggravate acne. He also suspected that the high volume of hormones produced naturally in the milk of pregnant cows may break down into androgen when consumed, which in turn stimulates the production of sebum, the waxy substance secreted by the sebaceous glands that clogs pores and creates acne when the pores become infected.

Milk may also contain excessive amounts of iodine, which can irritate pores, bringing on acne flare-ups. According to James E. Fulton Jr., M.D., head of the Acne Research Institute in Newport Beach, Calif., "In some who are acne-prone, I'd say 1,000 micrograms or one milligram of iodine a day could be a problem." A recent analysis of milk samples collected from 175 dairy herds throughout Wisconsin averaged 466 micrograms of iodine per liter; 11 percent of the samples contained more than 1,000 micrograms of iodine per liter. (The iodine gets into the milk through the use of contaminated milking equipment and medication given to the cows.)
Other health-care providers agree that clearing refrigerators of dairy products can help clear up skin:

According to Dr. Laura E. Skellchock, Clinical Associate Professor of Dermatology at the University of California, San Francisco, and dermatologist at Kaiser Permanente, "Some people find that consuming large quantities of dairy products may worsen their acne."

Gynecologist Christiane Northrup, M.D., author of Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom, believes that acne is associated with the consumption of dairy foods.
Australian naturopath Dr. Russell Setright advises: "It is important to stay away from…dairy products" in order to prevent acne.

Columbia University's Health Education Program offers these dietary tips to avoid acne:

Eat a diet high in fiber–salads, complex carbohydrates and drink lots of water. Fiber helps the digestive tract eliminate wastes, so the skin doesn't have to.
Keep your diet low in fat and sugar. Eating healthier foods ensures that your skin gets all the nutrients it needs.

Food allergies may also aggravate acne. Common allergenic food substances include dairy products, wheat, and preservatives.

Hope that helps.

"Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place."

Mark Twain

#3 daytonasurf

daytonasurf

I'm a badass.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2005 - 02:53 PM

what about the hormone free milk?

#4 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2005 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE(daytonasurf @ Mar 17 2005, 03:53 PM)
what about the hormone free milk?

View Post

Read carefully. If it just said that hormones were the ONLY problem then that would be fine. But there are other contributing factors. If in doubt, don't have ANY dairy at all for a month and see if that helps.

Remember:

Dr. Fisher noted that dairy products often contain large amounts of BUTTERFAT AND MILK SUGAR, both of which, he believed, aggravate acne. He also suspected that the high volume of hormones produced naturally in the milk of pregnant cows may break down into androgen when consumed, which in turn stimulates the production of sebum, the waxy substance secreted by the sebaceous glands that clogs pores and creates acne when the pores become infected.

Milk may also contain excessive amounts of IODINE, which can irritate pores, bringing on acne flare-ups. According to James E. Fulton Jr., M.D., head of the Acne Research Institute in Newport Beach, Calif., "In some who are acne-prone, I'd say 1,000 micrograms or one milligram of iodine a day could be a problem." A recent analysis of milk samples collected from 175 dairy herds throughout Wisconsin averaged 466 micrograms of iodine per liter; 11 percent of the samples contained more than 1,000 micrograms of iodine per liter. (The iodine gets into the milk through the use of contaminated milking equipment and medication given to the cows.)

"Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place."

Mark Twain

#5 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:07 PM

Don't forget that commercial dairy has an increased amount of IGF-1. While there is much debate about whether we are capable of using cow IGF-1, after milk consumption our levels of IGF-1 do increase.

That increase in IGF-1 is and may also be due to the Whey content and Casien content of dairy, especially low-fat and skin milk versions. Both of these proteins, especially Whey Protein are very good at increasing IGF-1 levels, and go ahead and ask people around here and see how many of them were able to tolerate whey protein powder for bulking up or training. Sad thing indeed it is, but most or some people can handle dairy.

If you give it up, you must give ALL forms of it up...ice cream, yogurt, cheese, butter, milk and products containing dairy, lactose, or the above proteins. This is the only way you can try to work at being 100% dairy free in order to see how it affects you.

HTH wink.gif
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#6 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:59 PM

I thought that hormones are produced and go into the milk naturally, besides the ones that they add to the cows to make them have more milk. Milk making is a hormonal process, right..so wouldnt totally hormone free milk be impossible?
Im sure it would be better than regular milk anyway...
I think that a lot of milk is just plain hard for most people to digest..which would explain it stressing the system and causing acne, hormone issues only make it worse.

Current Skin-Care Regimen (A work in progress):

Morning:

Gentle wash with DKR cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The  lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Skin 79 Korean BB Cream (excellent stuff)

Evening:

Gentle Wash with DKR Cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users