Photo

Carbohydrates

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#41 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2005 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE(cjb @ Mar 18 2005, 10:33 PM)
I'm with BBB on the coconut oil.  It is the best oil to bake or fry with as it doesn't become denatured at high heat.  If you heat olive oil above 325 degrees, you just have an expensive carcinogen.

View Post

Yup, definately palm and coconut are more stable oils. There's even 2 brands of natural microwavable popcorn that uses palm oil instead of trans fats. Palm Oil is considered the new "shortening" if you must use that for baking. A while back I read about how great healthwise coconut oil was, but one thing I remembered was that it's good for those members that want to kill parasites as it helps to flush them out due to it's anti-parasitic and anti-microbial properties. Since I've seen it listed in anti-candida diets, I believe it's also good for those that want to get rid of candida.
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#42 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2005 - 12:28 PM

Ya, a lady I was talking to when I bought it said that it was the only thing, except for a long and boring diet, that got rid of her candida.

Many people put it on thier faces as well. Although I tried it I smelled too good and the hunger pains always set off in the middle ofthe night. It's likesleeping next to a great smelling meal.

#43 RR1212

RR1212

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2005 - 05:27 PM

I have been on and off a no grain diet for three months and I am convinced that grains were clogging my skin, brain, colon and metabolism. And it didn't just get rid of the acne, it made my skin look better in every way. I will soon be 40 and have SUFFERED from acne since I was 13 and my face has never looked this good. I don't use anything topically. I just wash my face with something gentle with no soap or oils.

Being on a no grain diet has had other benefits as well. I had been taking benedryl every nite for years because of some strange year round allergy. I no longer have to do that - ever!

Until I started this diet I had severe menstrual cramps that required being on ibuprofen almost constantly for about 2 days. Now I don't take any. I get a twinge every now and then but it never lasts long enough to warrant taking medicine.

I order coconut flakes and virgin coconut oil from Tropical Traditions and am a firm believer in the health benefits. And if you are on a no grain diet the coconut flakes are great for breakfast or snack! If you are hesitant to use it because of the old myths about it being unhealthy check it out on the web site for tropical traditions. Some people say look at the negative things that American Heart Assoc. has to say about it but I say look at how many times they have changed their stance on oils (they're all bad, no wait these are okay, back and forth).

Some people put coconut oil on their face but it leaves a soapy film that looks eerie and can cause acne.

No grains means no wheat, corn, oats or potatoes. I tried reintroducing them one at a time but discovered I could not have any. I mourned the loss of oats the most!

Sugar is also a big health problem. Once your taste buds adjust to not having sugar you will be fine. Some fruit is okay but eat the whole fruit not fruit juice.

Yes. it is a tough diet but there is always something to eat besides sugar and grains - eggs, salmon, chicken, tuna, beef, nuts, seeds and every vegetable on earth!

Some people comment on how much I must be suffering on this diet but I tell them "Yes, but I'm suffering in a size 2 low rise jeans with clear skin and I'm never hungry. Come suffer with me!"

If you decide to embark on a no sugar no grain diet be prepared for the die off effect. Some things could get worse but only briefly. My acne and constipation cleared up immediately but I did get a fever for a few days as all the candida left my body.

It also brought on the release of the dangerous heavy metals that were trapped in my body. I didn't know what was happening when my urine started smelling so like metal but I read about it later and it only lasted a few days.

And you have to understand it is for life not just a few weeks or months. And it is not just a way to look better but a way to avoid just about any other health problem.

I beg anyone out there who is suffering from acne to just give up the grains and sugar! I wish I had known this years ago and I don't want anyone to suffer as long as I did.

I have cut way back on the amount of grains and sugar my kids get and it has made a difference for them as well - allergies, eczema, etc.

Good luck!

#44 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2005 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE(RR1212 @ Mar 19 2005, 06:27 PM)
I have been on and off a no grain diet for three months and I am convinced that grains were clogging my skin, brain, colon and metabolism.  And it didn't just get rid of the acne, it made my skin look better in every way.  I will soon be 40 and have SUFFERED from acne since I was 13 and my face has never looked this good.  I don't use anything topically.  I just wash my face with something gentle with no soap or oils.

Being on a no grain diet has had other benefits as well.  I had been taking benedryl every nite for years because of some strange year round allergy.  I no longer have to do that - ever!

Until I started this diet I had severe menstrual cramps that required being on ibuprofen almost constantly for about 2 days.  Now I don't take any.  I get a twinge every now and then but it never lasts long enough to warrant taking medicine.

I order coconut flakes and virgin coconut oil from Tropical Traditions and am a firm believer in the health benefits.  And if you are on a no grain diet the coconut flakes are great for breakfast or snack!  If you are hesitant to use it because of the old myths about it being unhealthy check it out on the web site for tropical traditions.  Some people say look at the negative things that American Heart Assoc. has to say about it but I say look at how many times they have changed their stance on oils (they're all bad, no wait these are okay, back and forth).

Some people put coconut oil on their face but it leaves a soapy film that looks eerie and can cause acne.

No grains means no wheat, corn, oats or potatoes.  I tried reintroducing them one at a time but discovered I could not have any.  I mourned the loss of oats the most!

Sugar is also a big health problem.  Once your taste buds adjust to not having sugar you will be fine. Some fruit is okay but eat the whole fruit not fruit juice.

Yes. it is a tough diet but there is always something to eat besides sugar and grains - eggs, salmon, chicken, tuna, beef, nuts, seeds and every vegetable on earth!

Some people comment on how much I must be suffering on this diet but I tell them "Yes, but I'm suffering in a size 2 low rise jeans with clear skin and I'm never hungry.  Come suffer with me!"

If you decide to embark on a no sugar no grain diet be prepared for the die off effect.  Some things could get worse but only briefly.  My acne and constipation cleared up immediately but I did get a fever for a few days as all the candida left my body. 

It also brought on the release of the dangerous heavy metals that were trapped in my body.  I didn't know what was happening when my urine started smelling so like metal but I read about it later and it only lasted a few days.

And you have to understand it is for life not just a few weeks or months.  And it is not just a way to look better but a way to avoid just about any other health problem.

I beg anyone out there who is suffering from acne to just give up the grains and sugar!  I wish I had known this years ago and I don't want anyone to suffer as long as I did.

I have cut way back on the amount of grains and sugar my kids get and it has made a difference for them as well - allergies, eczema, etc.

Good luck!

View Post

eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif

I LOVE YOUR POST. It helps so much to see others finding success. I only wish my son would have started this prior to scarring - but it is still so much better than having scars AND active acne.

I have been doing this "diet" along with my son. As I mentioned before, my cholesterol went from 199 to 141 after just a few weeks not eating sugars, breads and the lot. Also, I am 46 and just bought a size 0 black jeans from the GAP. You can't help but drop un-needed fat from the body as well as that bloated feeling. The jeans were so comfortable - you won't get constipated staying away from breads and such. I had a whopping dose of steamed spinach and a turkey breast patty for breakfast yesterday - and a grapefruit/orange combo - a far cry from sugar coated "low fat" cereal and skim milk that I used to find "healthy".

I have never tried coconut - but am getting off here to do so. THANKS AGAIN for confirming that this works IF you try it and stick with it. Oh - people ask my son things like, "aren't you bored with food" "don't you miss fries?" you know what he says, he says he doesn't miss cysts all over his face, creams, dollars at the doctor, antibiotics for over a year. He's in control now. I LOVE IT!

"Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place."

Mark Twain

#45 Blo0dCrIeSZ

Blo0dCrIeSZ

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 20 March 2005 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE(Minnym0use @ Mar 20 2005, 06:09 PM)
eusa_clap.gif  eusa_clap.gif

I LOVE YOUR POST.  It helps so much to see others finding success.  I only wish my son would have started this prior to scarring - but it is still so much better than having scars AND active acne.

I have been doing this "diet" along with my son.  As I mentioned before, my cholesterol went from 199 to 141 after just a few weeks not eating sugars, breads and the lot.  Also, I am 46 and just bought a size 0 black jeans from the GAP.  You can't help but drop un-needed fat from the body as well as that bloated feeling.  The jeans were so comfortable - you won't get constipated staying away from breads and such.  I had a whopping dose of steamed spinach and a turkey breast patty for breakfast yesterday - and a grapefruit/orange combo - a far cry from sugar coated "low fat" cereal and skim milk that I used to find "healthy". 

I have never tried coconut - but am getting off here to do so.  THANKS AGAIN for confirming that this works IF you try it and stick with it.  Oh - people ask my son things like, "aren't you bored with food"  "don't you miss fries?"  you know what he says, he says he doesn't miss cysts all over his face, creams, dollars at the doctor, antibiotics for over a year.  He's in control now.  I LOVE IT!

View Post

I am having such a hard time over raisins or not. I love raisins. It is like the only food that makes me happy. Is it acceptable on this diet? Or should I just experiment.

RULES TO LIVE BY

Boxers are cool until things dangle. Sometimes that is the best part.

Orange toe nails are for black ladies.

Snorting prozac to get high is not wise.

Triple inverse and long exchange traded funds deviate to zero with volatility.

Conversations you have with friends are never funny to others. Keep them to yourself.

Retelling movie clips that are "funny" ruins them. You look like an ass.

Soy vanilla decaf venti lattes are 4.65 at Starbucks and 5 dollars at Barnes and Noble.

#46 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2005 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE(bloodcries @ Mar 20 2005, 01:27 PM)
I am having such a hard time over raisins or not.  I love raisins.  It is like the only food that makes me happy.  Is it acceptable on this diet?  Or should I just experiment.

View Post

Just to let you know - my son eats raisins everyday and you know the success he has had. We buy the organic ones, with no sulphur. I think for him not eating them alllll day is the factor. But as a snack it is fine - for him. Just try the entire "diet" without raisins, then add in a few raisins and see
"Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place."

Mark Twain

#47 Blo0dCrIeSZ

Blo0dCrIeSZ

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2005 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE(RR1212 @ Mar 19 2005, 11:27 PM)
I have been on and off a no grain diet for three months and I am convinced that grains were clogging my skin, brain, colon and metabolism.  And it didn't just get rid of the acne, it made my skin look better in every way.  I will soon be 40 and have SUFFERED from acne since I was 13 and my face has never looked this good.  I don't use anything topically.  I just wash my face with something gentle with no soap or oils.

Being on a no grain diet has had other benefits as well.  I had been taking benedryl every nite for years because of some strange year round allergy.  I no longer have to do that - ever!

Until I started this diet I had severe menstrual cramps that required being on ibuprofen almost constantly for about 2 days.  Now I don't take any.  I get a twinge every now and then but it never lasts long enough to warrant taking medicine.

I order coconut flakes and virgin coconut oil from Tropical Traditions and am a firm believer in the health benefits.  And if you are on a no grain diet the coconut flakes are great for breakfast or snack!  If you are hesitant to use it because of the old myths about it being unhealthy check it out on the web site for tropical traditions.  Some people say look at the negative things that American Heart Assoc. has to say about it but I say look at how many times they have changed their stance on oils (they're all bad, no wait these are okay, back and forth).

No grains means no wheat, corn, oats or potatoes.  I tried reintroducing them one at a time but discovered I could not have any.  I mourned the loss of oats the most!

Sugar is also a big health problem.  Once your taste buds adjust to not having sugar you will be fine. Some fruit is okay but eat the whole fruit not fruit juice.

Some people comment on how much I must be suffering on this diet but I tell them "Yes, but I'm suffering in a size 2 low rise jeans with clear skin and I'm never hungry.  Come suffer with me!"

If you decide to embark on a no sugar no grain diet be prepared for the die off effect.  Some things could get worse but only briefly.  My acne and constipation cleared up immediately but I did get a fever for a few days as all the candida left my body. 

It also brought on the release of the dangerous heavy metals that were trapped in my body.  I didn't know what was happening when my urine started smelling so like metal but I read about it later and it only lasted a few days.

And you have to understand it is for life not just a few weeks or months.  And it is not just a way to look better but a way to avoid just about any other health problem.

I beg anyone out there who is suffering from acne to just give up the grains and sugar!  I wish I had known this years ago and I don't want anyone to suffer as long as I did.

Good luck!

View Post

Thank you! I have been off of grains and refined foods, etc. I just eat raisins, which you might not. And my acne got so bad, but I do not think any are coming in now at the moment, for the pazst 2 days, hopefully it stays this way! wub.gif

RULES TO LIVE BY

Conversations you have with friends are never funny to others. Keep them to yourself.

Soy vanilla decaf venti lattes are 4.65 at Starbucks and 5 dollars at Barnes and Noble.

#48 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2005 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE(bloodcries @ Mar 20 2005, 11:51 AM)
Thank you!  I have been off of grains and refined foods, etc.  I just eat raisins, which you might not.  And my acne got so bad, but I do not think any are coming in now at the moment, for the pazst 2 days, hopefully it stays this way! wub.gif

View Post

Raisens are a generally a good thing, but you want to make sure that the one's you eat don't contain added sugars, fructose sugars (corn syrup), hydrogenated oils, and sulfites. Now most generic and name brands do not have anything other than raisens (& ascorbic acid) for the ingredients, but there are a few brands that do. Raisens also have varying carbohydrate counts from 28 - 34g so that may also be a factor for you. I personally eat organic or non-organic and even generic rasiens, but I do so based on how they taste and nothing else. I pick those that are of good flavor and that don't taste too sweet for my liking (my sweet tooth has slowly been disappearing with age and with diet changes).

Also, if your acne got worse, what else did you add or increase consumption of in your diet or what supplements did you start taking during or before that time??? We've all done it, heck I still do it, when we do something that we think may help us or won't hurt us and then we end up breaking out a bit or worse as a direct result =/

All that really means is that you may be consuming/taking too much of something or that you've discovered that you are intolerant to something else (herb, vitamin, food, etc). If its' an intolerance then you want to note whether you are consuming foods that fall on the top allergen/intolerant food list and see if maybe one of them is the reason.

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#49 Blo0dCrIeSZ

Blo0dCrIeSZ

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2005 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE(SweetJade1980 @ Mar 20 2005, 08:30 PM)
Raisens are a generally a good thing, but you want to make sure that the one's you eat don't contain added sugars, fructose sugars (corn syrup), hydrogenated oils, and sulfites.  Now most generic and name brands do not have anything other than raisens (& ascorbic acid) for the ingredients, but there are a few brands that do.  Raisens also have varying carbohydrate counts from 28 - 34g so that may also be a factor for you. I personally eat organic or non-organic and even generic rasiens, but I do so based on how they taste and nothing else.  I pick those that are of good flavor and that don't taste too sweet for my liking (my sweet tooth has slowly been disappearing with age and with diet changes).

Also, if your acne got worse, what else did you add or increase consumption of in your diet or what supplements did you start taking during or before that time???  We've all done it, heck I still do it, when we do something that we think may help us or won't hurt us and then we end up breaking out a bit or worse as a direct result  =/

All that really means is that you may be consuming/taking too much of something or that you've discovered that you are intolerant to something else (herb, vitamin, food, etc).  If its' an intolerance then you want to note whether you are consuming foods that fall on the top allergen/intolerant food list and see if maybe one of them is the reason.

View Post

Actually I did not increase anything, it was very weird. I think I am going to stick with this diet for at least 3 more weeks, if it does not work, I will fast for 3 days, and slowly add things back, like celery one day, celery and carrots, and do that, and if that does not work, I will eat whatever I want, and I may go on accutane again. Even though that pill has screwed up my skin enough!

RULES TO LIVE BY

#50 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2005 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE(bloodcries @ Mar 20 2005, 01:39 PM)
Actually I did not increase anything, it was very weird.  I think I am going to stick with this diet for at least 3 more weeks, if it does not work, I will fast for 3 days, and slowly add things back, like celery one day, celery and carrots, and do that, and if that does not work, I will eat whatever I want, and I may go on accutane again.  Even though that pill has screwed up my skin enough!

View Post

Well, here's something for you anyways or for those interested. Say, how long were you on the diet and did you make sure to read all labels? Also, are you able to consume other dried fruit? Or fresh fruit?

Allergenic Foods (due to autoimmune response)
Dairy
Wheat
Corn
Nuts
Tree nuts
Soybean
Banana
Peaches
Berries (blueberry, strawberry, etc)
Eggs
Pork
Fish
Shellfish
Salicylates (this just sucks http://users.bigpond...ian/fi/sal.html )
Chocolate (pure cocoa or the candy bars?)
Cottonseed Oil

[people can be allergic to anything incl. all fruits, or citrus fruits, etc]

Intolerant Foods (due to lacking a specific enzyme for digestion)
Dairy (lactose, casien, whey)
Grains
Gluten (wheat, barely, rye and...maybe oats)
Legumes/Beans (includes peanuts, soybean)
Night Shades (potato, tomato, peppers, eggplant)

Chemical Sensitivity
Yellow No. 5 (healths sake)
MSG
Caffiene
Sulfites (the stuff on some dried fruits)
Nitrites (preservatives)
Aspartame (just for healths sake)
Spelenda/Sucralose (some members reported breakouts)

Improperly Prepared Food:
Traditionally foods contain enzyme inhibitors to prevent them from planting and growing in the wrong environment. Refining strips unripe foods of some of these, but not always. If consumed often enough they can be responsible for a variety of enzyme or vitamin deficiencies (vitamin A, Zinc, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, etc) within us. Some found that all they needed to do was consume them ripe:

Sprouted (GF) Grains
Soaked/Sprouted Nuts
Soaked/Fermented/Sprouted Legumes
Ripe/Fermented Fruit & Vegetables
http://www.acne.org/...93

Best wishes

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research: