Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carbohydrates

50 posts in this topic

Just wondering if carbohydrates affect your acne in some way. I think I remember someone mention an article about carbohydrates being linked to acne. Carbohydrates are like breads and pasta and stuff...

They generally break me out.

When I am forced to eat them I make sure I do the oil swish (search the forums for 'oil swish' if you're unsure what it is) to get rid of all the toxins it causes.

But there are lots of other things, like canned tuna etc.

Just wondering if carbohydrates affect your acne in some way. I think I remember someone mention an article about carbohydrates being linked to acne. Carbohydrates are like breads and pasta and stuff...

"Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place."

Mark Twain

Yep and there's research by Dr. Neil Mann in Australia at RMIT that is soon to be published that says that exact thing - refined carbohydrates affect acne.  Not ALL carbs though - he suggests lots of fruits and vegetables.

That is how my 17 year old cured his cystic acne.  But, he remains faithful to it and does't binge on weekends, etc....

Good question to put out there.

Ive said loads of times before. when i was attempting atkins for about 6 months, my skin was awesome. Then i moved back out to university, where living on meat etc is expensive, and went back to almost all carbs. I had my worst break out ever, coincidence?? prob not.

Ive been back on the meat for nearly a month and my skin is clearing up rapidly.

"The man who can't visualize a horse galloping on a tomato is an idiot."

- André Breton

i dont think our bodies are designed to handle the sheer volume of carbs in todays average diet, hence why they cause so much weight gain too...

"The man who can't visualize a horse galloping on a tomato is an idiot."

- André Breton

Yep and there's research by Dr. Neil Mann in Australia at RMIT that is soon to be published that says that exact thing - refined carbohydrates affect acne.  Not ALL carbs though - he suggests lots of fruits and vegetables.

That is how my 17 year old cured his cystic acne.  But, he remains faithful to it and does't binge on weekends, etc....

Good question to put out there.

Hi Minny,

i've been following your posts with interest and am giving this diet thing ago.  Do you know when and where the study by Dc Mann is going to be published?  I tried to contact him but haven't had a response - I wonder if you could post all his emails? that'd be great.

thanks a load xx

"Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place."

Mark Twain

I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall here but Gi is pretty much worthless for most foods. UNless they have the same carbs that was tested in the GI in one serving or what a person consumes in one sitting, it won't correlate.

If anything find the glycemic load.

However, until this guy gets his work peer-reviewed you should assume that it is only a potential answer. Not all research is correct. Still, if this jives with what you have experienced then you could cautiously experiment with your diet. The important thing is to make sure that your diet is balanced, by which I mean, you eat enough protein, fat and eat atleast 25g of carbs per day (which is very, very little BTW), get enough calories and ALL the vitamins and minerals your body needs.

There's also the point that he hasn't even published yet. That probably means he hasn't dotted every i and crossed every t yet. This alone might mean that the research is wrong.

I must admit, the basic idea does seem to roughly jive with my experience.

It all sounds pretty good; plausible and hopeful. But only that so far.

"Gravity is just a theory. We shouldn't be teaching it to children as if it were fact."

However, until this guy gets his work peer-reviewed you should assume that it is only a potential answer. Not all research is correct. Still, if this jives with what you have experienced then you could cautiously experiment with your diet. The important thing is to make sure that your diet is balanced, by which I mean, you eat enough protein, fat and eat atleast 50g of carbs per day (which is very, very little BTW), get enough calories and ALL the vitamins and minerals your body needs.

There's also the point that he hasn't even published yet. That probably means he hasn't dotted every i and crossed every t yet. This alone might mean that the research is wrong.

Mark Twain

I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall here but Gi is pretty much worthless for most foods. UNless they have the same carbs that was tested in the GI in one serving or what a person consumes in one sitting, it won't correlate.

If anything find the glycemic load.

Mark Twain

NO but on things like brown and wild rice it has a pretty low GI but a high GL. In essence it spikes you blood higher than what the GI will predict because a serving or two has a lot of carbs(Even though it's good carbs). I'm just saying that if you want a more accurate measurement of glucose in your blood the GL is better, even though some healthy foods(The wild rice) can spike it pretty fast.

But like you said for many veggies and fruits it has a very low actual GL but a very high GI(Carrots).

NO but on things like brown and wild rice it has a pretty low GI but a high GL.

"Gravity is just a theory. We shouldn't be teaching it to children as if it were fact."

Yes, all rice generally has the hame GL, but white is stripped of everything else. YOu can't just eat a diet based on GL, that's stupid as many foods with med. or high GL have vitamins, minerals, etc...

There are tons of breads with just as low a GL as veggies and fruit. 15 grain, sourdough, rye, 9 grain, whole grain, etc..... There are dozens that are low in GL.

As for rice there are 15,000 varieties. I'm sure you have options.

There are tons of breads with just as low a GL as veggies and fruit. 15 grain, sourdough, rye, 9 grain, whole grain, etc..... There are dozens that are low in GL.

NO but on things like brown and wild rice it has a pretty low GI but a high GL. In essence it spikes you blood higher than what the GI will predict because a serving or two has a lot of carbs(Even though it's good carbs). I'm just saying that if you want a more accurate measurement of glucose in your blood the GL is better, even though some healthy foods(The wild rice) can spike it pretty fast.

I've had bad acne for about 15 years.  Not to sound like a commercial but  I tried every stupid cream, lotion, cleanser, diet and perscription you've ever heard of.  And yes BP and "the regimen"  does work but it never seems to get them all and you always have to keep it on your face 24/7 and as soon as you stop guess what... it comes back.    So 6 months ago I had a bad break out and I got pissed so I spent a few days looking at other causes b/c it just isn't natural to have acne.  When your skin looks bad be it from acne or a rash it's usually a symptom of a greater underlying problem with your body. 

So while searching the net, I came upon the carbohydrate and insulin connection (the links are at the end of this post)  and I was skeptical to say the least b/c I've tired cutting out all kinds of food in the past, (Dairy, meat, salt, sugar)  but I read it b/c I was desparate and so I tried it.  Well to make a long story short,  it was the best decision I've ever made b/c 5 months later my face and body is smoother than a baby's ass.  No zits, pimples, whiteheads, blackheads, no oil, no redness, no blotchyness.  And damn am I happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    It took about 2 weeks to see major improvment when I started and it's even harder to fight the cravings and also come up with food to replace the crap I used to eat.    Here's what I've done to keep my face clear:

1.  I cut out all simple carbs... refined sugar and flour and also potatos.  So NO pasta, bread, crackers, donuts, potato chips.  I cut out all foods high on the Glycemic index.

2.  I eat lots of fruit, vegtables, dairy and protein (Chicken and fish mostly)  I drink  water or unsweetend tea, NO SODA not even gatorade. 

3.  Even though it never helped my acne before, I also take a GNC multivitamin for men and an antioxidant pill just to be sure I have what my skin needs.

4.  After a while I added back some carbs in the form of whole grain breads and protein pasta but in small amounts ... and I always eat them with something else, never by themselves, b/c of the blood sugar and insulin raising effects.  And I always watch my portions and I always read labels. 

All this may sound like a pain in the ass to do but after awhile I got used to the change and I even felt better overall....  less anixety... I never feel the urge to pick at my face, I sleep better, I never feel depressed,  and have more energy and at the gym I seem to put on muscle easier and I'm much more cut with much less effort.  I know this maybe hard to believe and I might not have believed it either 6 months ago but for the first time in my life I'm free of acne and I've never been happier with myself and it's all b/c of this diet.  Simple as that.  And it really beats the hell out of putting BP on my face all the time and bleaching the collar of all my blue shirts.

Here are the two websites that really inspired me to try this out.  Read them and see what you think.... If it doens't make any sense to you.... try it anyway.  I've totally become a believer in the power of a healthy diet and I'm definately going to stick with it for the rest of my life.

http://www.iinr.org/specialreports/ACNE.PDF

This is kinda long and the guy tries to push his own supplements but the rest of the info it brilliant.

http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/newslette...06096291079F%7D

This isn't the original PDF I found on the subject but it sums up the one I have.  It's just some evidence of the diet and acne connection.

If you want more info just google:  Acne and glycemic index

Good luck.

Mark Twain

You know, I'm not really all that pleased with _either_ the GI or the GL.  The GL troubles me because of what I consider to be the rather capricious and arbitrary way that they decide on serving sizes.  In my opinion, the best way of all would be to give a GL based on a FIXED amount of food (whatever the food happens to be), like 25 grams, 50 grams, 100 grams, or whatever.  Then a consumer could keep that in mind as he eats the portion size he chooses for himself, and arrive at what I think would be a more accurate estimate of his glycemic load.

Bryan

Mark Twain

BOTTOM LINE:  Don't worry about GI or GL.  OK?  It is a starting point for some and confusion for others.  Just do this:  eat your veggies, eat your fruit, eat your lean proteins

My son even eats a box of raisins a day, carrots and a banana at least every other day and some people think they are taboo.  Just stick to lots of vegetables, fruits and chicken, turkey breasts, fish, and eggs.  Oh, the fiber in beans is great also.  Just think, if everyone reading this tried this for 1 month religiously, we could be seeing some more happy posts.  I am excited for all of the possibilities.

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

* Strengthen/Repair GI - Immune health

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

However, until this guy gets his work peer-reviewed you should assume that it is only a potential answer. Not all research is correct. Still, if this jives with what you have experienced then you could cautiously experiment with your diet. The important thing is to make sure that your diet is balanced, by which I mean, you eat enough protein, fat and eat atleast 25g of carbs per day (which is very, very little BTW), get enough calories and ALL the vitamins and minerals your body needs.

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

* Strengthen/Repair GI - Immune health

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

"1.  I cut out all simple carbs... refined sugar and flour and also potatos.  So NO pasta, bread, crackers, donuts, potato chips.  I cut out all foods high on the Glycemic index."

So what kind of carbohydrates do you eat? None?

Can you list in more detail what foods you consider okay? maybe some bad ones too?