Photo

Sleep problems

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#21 heymikey

heymikey

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 02 April 2005 - 12:13 AM

I don't have problems falling asleep but I seem to have problems getting into the REM stage of sleep. I don't know but my sleep doesn't seem to be deep enough even though I sleep around 6-8 hours a day. Everytime I wake up, I feel tired. I sometimes fall asleep during meetings and it is quite embarrassing. Will melatonin help me out?

Last year, I don't have problems with sleep. I would wake up feeling refreshed and my face would feel rejuvenated. It basically cleared up my face. I think one reason why my face is fucked up because of my sleep problem.

#22 Wolfy

Wolfy

Formerly Known As Wolfkeeper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 April 2005 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE(Denise2 @ Mar 14 2005, 06:04 AM)
I used to have TERRIBLE, AWFUL, insomnia.  Unbelievable insomnia....my whole life, starting in my early twenties until the last year when I flushed my liver and did bowel cleansing.  It only makes sense; those with acne have congested colons and livers.

I may take melatonin now; 1 mg....but I used to have to take 5-6 mgs. per night....and that STILL didn't always work.  Herbs didn't even touch the insomnia I used to have.

View Post

Actually, you should try going down to 0.3 mg. That's actually closer to how much your body naturally produces- using more than that doesn't work nearly so well. The sizes manufacturers sell in are wayyyyy to big.

You can often divide the pills down to get the right dose, and the pills will last longer to boot.

#23 Miya

Miya

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2005 - 11:21 AM

I have chronic insomnia and it's an absolutely HORRIBLE experience!! I've had insomnia for months now. My dr. prescribed me trazadone as a sleeping aid and it worked well at first, but now i have developed another problem of waking up extremely early every day at 5:30. It's like clockwork! Anyway, now i'm averaging about 4 hours of sleep a day. I'm always tired and i can't function well. I don't know what to do sad.gif

Does anyone know if sleeping has a direct correlation with acne or not?

#24 Steve2000`

Steve2000`

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2005 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE(Miya @ Apr 3 2005, 10:21 AM)
I have chronic insomnia and it's an absolutely HORRIBLE experience!!  I've had insomnia for months now.  My dr. prescribed me trazadone as a sleeping aid and it worked well at first, but now i have developed another problem of waking up extremely early every day at 5:30.  It's like clockwork! Anyway, now i'm averaging about 4 hours of sleep a day.  I'm always tired and i can't function well.  I don't know what to do  sad.gif

View Post

Try Valerian

It seems to work for me when i need it. I dont take it all the time, but when i need it helps me sleep. It also helped me get back into a system.

Other things u should is exercise...though admitely it didnt work for me. Infact it made me more exhausted cos i couldnt sleep but everyone else is different.

#25 Wolfy

Wolfy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2005 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE(Miya @ Apr 3 2005, 06:21 PM)
I have chronic insomnia and it's an absolutely HORRIBLE experience!!  I've had insomnia for months now.  My dr. prescribed me trazadone as a sleeping aid and it worked well at first, but now i have developed another problem of waking up extremely early every day at 5:30.  It's like clockwork! Anyway, now i'm averaging about 4 hours of sleep a day.  I'm always tired and i can't function well.  I don't know what to do  sad.gif

Well, in the past I tried taking 5-htp.

It seems to work pretty well; much better than melatonin, and likely to have far less side effects than trazadone (I'm presuming that's a conventional sleeping pill- what you are describing is a pretty common issue with sleeping pills).

View Post

Not sleeping is mostly a sign of depression, and/or stress.

Interestingly, 5-htp is also a mild antidepressant (it's a precursor to serotonin); and high serotonin makes you sleepy. It works kinda like having a big meal but without the calories. So it's a relatively natural sleeping agent.

5-htp is available in health food shops in the UK atleast. Make very sure you check for any of the contraindications before taking it.

Valerian might be helpful, but only for a few days- it's sort of like the opposite of coffee, but as with caffeine, you quickly build a tolerance to it.

#26 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2005 - 08:03 PM

I read the posts and suggestions and I also am a firm believer in exercise, getting up early, no naps and the most obvious - NO caffeine. I have a friend who never sleeps well, yet, she claims caffeine doesn't bother her. Well, simple equation here:

Can't sleep
Drink caffeine
Caffeine is a stimulant
Cut out caffeine
Sleep better

Now, some people can drink a cup of coffee RIGHT before bed and claim to sleep all night. I am one of the ones who can not have any caffeine after lunch. I still can't drink coffee - only green tea or weak black iced tea. My body just can't rest with caffeine.

If you drink ANY caffeine at all then cut it out and see if after a few days you sleep better. You may experience a caffeine withdrawl = headaches and feeling kinda rotten, but that passes. Or, if you do drink more than your fare share, just cut it down gradually till it is gone.

You may not even drink caffeine, but I thought someone should throw that out there if we are discussing sleep problems.

#27 Miya

Miya

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2005 - 08:29 PM

thanks for the suggestions minniemouse and wolfkeeper.

One question. Where do i buy Valerion? And what is 5htp? Is that an over the counter drug? Thanks

P.S i never ever drink anything with caffeine in it. I haven't drunk any soda for years now because some have caffeine. I'm like obcessive compulsive w/ avoiding caffeine and getting 8 hrs of sleep but that never happens sad.gif .

#28 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2005 - 10:09 PM

See ofr me melatonin worked way better than anything. PLus it's impossible to OD on it(The average pill os like 3mg and they have done studies with people taking over 6GRAMS, 2000x more than one pill and all the side effect they got was sleepiness, but not overlysleepiness so it seems like your body uses what it needs and throws away the rest).

Plus, melatonin is one of, if not the best antioxidant there is.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....1&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm....5&dopt=Abstract

http://www.wholeheal...525,804,00.html

Read the part about mice, they lived 25% longer. While it's not definitive by any means it's encouraging none the less.

Now I don't know if it would help you with chroniuc sleepiness but it's excellent at resetting your natural clock for sleep. I agree with minny that excercise is one of the best ways to get to sleep later in the day. The best way IMO is to clear your mind before bed and have no emotions or issues that trouble you, and this is the hardest thing to do at first.

I don't agree with caffiene though. Yes if it's taken before bed it will keep you up but if you take only a few cups and it's earlier in the day I don't see how it will affect you many hours later(This is moderate drinking, not 10 cups).

#29 Gongas

Gongas

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:56 AM

Just a little warning about Melatonin...

I slept better on Melatonin BUT I had horrible nightmares. This is one of the possible side effects--listed as "night terrors." This was about 5 years ago & I stopped using it immediately.

Anyone else have the same side effect? I don't really know if it's that common.

#30 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:46 AM

QUOTE(blackbirdbeatle @ Apr 3 2005, 11:09 PM)
See ofr me melatonin worked way better than anything. PLus it's impossible to OD on it(The average pill os like 3mg and they have done studies with people taking over 6GRAMS, 2000x more than one pill and all the side effect they got was sleepiness, but not overlysleepiness so it seems like your body uses what it needs and throws away the rest).

Plus, melatonin is one of, if not the best antioxidant there is. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm....1&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm....5&dopt=Abstract

http://www.wholeheal...525,804,00.html

Read the part about mice, they lived 25% longer. While it's not definitive by any means it's encouraging none the less.

Now I don't know if it would help you with chroniuc sleepiness but it's excellent at resetting your natural clock for sleep. I agree with minny that excercise is one of the best ways to get to sleep later in the day. The best way IMO is to clear your mind before bed and have no emotions or issues that trouble you, and this is the hardest thing to do at first.

I don't agree with caffiene though. Yes if it's taken before bed it will keep you up but if you take only a few cups and it's earlier in the day I don't see how it will affect you many hours later(This is moderate drinking, not 10 cups).

View Post

I am telling you from my experience. If I drink ANY caffeine after say 1pm - and that's tea not even coffee. I lay in bed tossing. I know my body and I just can't handle caffeine. We are all different. So, if one can't sleep, they need to look into any caffeine habits.

#31 Wolfy

Wolfy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2005 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE(Miya @ Apr 4 2005, 03:29 AM)
thanks for the suggestions minniemouse and wolfkeeper.

One question.  Where do i buy Valerion?

It's spelt valerian, it's a herb. You can get it in most health food shops. It's a mild relaxant (as in mild enough that I'm not sure it works on me.)
And what is 5htp?

It's a chemical, again you should be able to get it in health food shops or online.

It seems to be very safe, with some caveats (like you mustn't be on antidepressants, or taking St. John's Wort), it raises serotonin slightly, but only short term, whereas antidepressants work over many weeks. It does something similar to eating a big meal, which also raises serotonin, and thus often makes people feel sleepy.

You take it before going to bed, you shouldn't take it during the day particularly if you're going to drive. I think that there was some restrictions about chocolate for x-hours before you take it.

I suggest you check out the research on it on the internet.

I think in large doses there is some chance of adverse side-effects, but if you follow the instructions it's probably quite safe. (Probably safer than sleeping pills anyway).

#32 Miya

Miya

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2005 - 11:29 AM

Thanks again Wolfkeeper. I'm going to check it out at the local GNC.

Also, if anyone else has insomnia or sleeping troubles this is a really great forum to visit. The people there are super helpful and encouraging.

http://www.sleepnet....nsomniainf.html

#33 heymikey

heymikey

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2005 - 12:15 PM

I don't drink coffee because I always thought that it would worsen my acne. Anyway, I don't have problems falling asleep and getting about 6-8 hours of sleep. But the problem is that everytime I wake up, I would feel tired as if the quality of sleep I am getting is not good enough. Will melatonin help?

#34 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2005 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE(heymikey @ Apr 4 2005, 11:15 AM)
I don't drink coffee because I always thought that it would worsen my acne.  Anyway, I don't have problems falling asleep and getting about 6-8 hours of sleep.  But the problem is that everytime I wake up, I would feel tired as if the quality of sleep I am getting is not good enough.  Will melatonin help?

View Post

Eating too soon before going to sleep makes me feel this way, as does smoking pot. Sometimes a cup of tea before bed with digestive herbs (ginger, fennel, peppermint), with some mild relaxing herbs like chammomile can really help a lot if I've been out eating and/or drinking.

#35 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2005 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE(heymikey @ Apr 4 2005, 01:15 PM)
I don't drink coffee because I always thought that it would worsen my acne.  Anyway, I don't have problems falling asleep and getting about 6-8 hours of sleep.  But the problem is that everytime I wake up, I would feel tired as if the quality of sleep I am getting is not good enough.  Will melatonin help?

View Post

We should wake up refreshed. How is your diet? Candida possibly?

#36 heymikey

heymikey

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2005 - 03:23 PM

I just have another question, does melatonin suppress cortisol (stress hormone)? I've searched through google and I have read mixed results. I've read that cortisol prevents skin regeneration during sleep.

#37 Guest_WhyGOD111_*

Guest_WhyGOD111_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 15 April 2005 - 06:48 PM

The only way i get good sleep is if i go to sleep at 1-3 am then I usally wakup at 10-12 pm If I try to go to sleep earlier then the above time mentioned I will just stare at the roof and think of how acne has ruined my life in my cause my sleep problems are cause by depression from acne and tons of anger towards it(Im talking like acne is an actual person)

#38 heymikey

heymikey

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 17 April 2005 - 12:57 AM

I think melatonin is breaking me out. Anyone know if this is the case?

#39 CAJUN LOU

CAJUN LOU

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:17 AM

I quit using melatonin because it would make me sleep very hard for about 4-5 hours but then I would be wide awake. Oh, and I had VERY WEIRD dreams, too much for me so I switched to valerian and try to only use it a couple times a week.

#40 Wolfy

Wolfy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:23 AM

What dose are you guys/gals taking?

The research suggests 0.3 mg is optimal... higher doses give nightmares. Most commercial offerings start at about 1mg in my experience.