Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sleep problems

43 posts in this topic

I read the posts and suggestions and I also am a firm believer in exercise, getting up early, no naps and the most obvious - NO caffeine. I have a friend who never sleeps well, yet, she claims caffeine doesn't bother her. Well, simple equation here:

Can't sleep

Drink caffeine

Caffeine is a stimulant

Cut out caffeine

Sleep better

Now, some people can drink a cup of coffee RIGHT before bed and claim to sleep all night. I am one of the ones who can not have any caffeine after lunch. I still can't drink coffee - only green tea or weak black iced tea. My body just can't rest with caffeine.

If you drink ANY caffeine at all then cut it out and see if after a few days you sleep better. You may experience a caffeine withdrawl = headaches and feeling kinda rotten, but that passes. Or, if you do drink more than your fare share, just cut it down gradually till it is gone.

You may not even drink caffeine, but I thought someone should throw that out there if we are discussing sleep problems.

"Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place."

Mark Twain

thanks for the suggestions minniemouse and wolfkeeper.

One question. Where do i buy Valerion? And what is 5htp? Is that an over the counter drug? Thanks

P.S i never ever drink anything with caffeine in it. I haven't drunk any soda for years now because some have caffeine. I'm like obcessive compulsive w/ avoiding caffeine and getting 8 hrs of sleep but that never happens sad.gif .

Accutane start date: 10/18/10

My Accutane Log

Month 1: 40mg

See ofr me melatonin worked way better than anything. PLus it's impossible to OD on it(The average pill os like 3mg and they have done studies with people taking over 6GRAMS, 2000x more than one pill and all the side effect they got was sleepiness, but not overlysleepiness so it seems like your body uses what it needs and throws away the rest).

Plus, melatonin is one of, if not the best antioxidant there is.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...1&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...5&dopt=Abstract

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/subs...525,804,00.html

Read the part about mice, they lived 25% longer. While it's not definitive by any means it's encouraging none the less.

Now I don't know if it would help you with chroniuc sleepiness but it's excellent at resetting your natural clock for sleep. I agree with minny that excercise is one of the best ways to get to sleep later in the day. The best way IMO is to clear your mind before bed and have no emotions or issues that trouble you, and this is the hardest thing to do at first.

I don't agree with caffiene though. Yes if it's taken before bed it will keep you up but if you take only a few cups and it's earlier in the day I don't see how it will affect you many hours later(This is moderate drinking, not 10 cups).

Just a little warning about Melatonin...

I slept better on Melatonin BUT I had horrible nightmares. This is one of the possible side effects--listed as "night terrors." This was about 5 years ago & I stopped using it immediately.

Anyone else have the same side effect? I don't really know if it's that common.

See ofr me melatonin worked way better than anything. PLus it's impossible to OD on it(The average pill os like 3mg and they have done studies with people taking over 6GRAMS, 2000x more than one pill and all the side effect they got was sleepiness, but not overlysleepiness so it seems like your body uses what it needs and throws away the rest).

Plus, melatonin is one of, if not the best antioxidant there is. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...1&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...5&dopt=Abstract

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/subs...525,804,00.html

Read the part about mice, they lived 25% longer. While it's not definitive by any means it's encouraging none the less.

Now I don't know if it would help you with chroniuc sleepiness but it's excellent at resetting your natural clock for sleep. I agree with minny that excercise is one of the best ways to get to sleep later in the day. The best way IMO is to clear your mind before bed and have no emotions or issues that trouble you, and this is the hardest thing to do at first.

I don't agree with caffiene though. Yes if it's taken before bed it will keep you up but if you take only a few cups and it's earlier in the day I don't see how it will affect you many hours later(This is moderate drinking, not 10 cups).

"Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place."

Mark Twain

thanks for the suggestions minniemouse and wolfkeeper.

One question.  Where do i buy Valerion?

"Gravity is just a theory. We shouldn't be teaching it to children as if it were fact."

I don't drink coffee because I always thought that it would worsen my acne. Anyway, I don't have problems falling asleep and getting about 6-8 hours of sleep. But the problem is that everytime I wake up, I would feel tired as if the quality of sleep I am getting is not good enough. Will melatonin help?

I don't drink coffee because I always thought that it would worsen my acne.  Anyway, I don't have problems falling asleep and getting about 6-8 hours of sleep.  But the problem is that everytime I wake up, I would feel tired as if the quality of sleep I am getting is not good enough.  Will melatonin help?

My regimen:

Eat regularly: a wide variety of vegetables, eggs, meat/fish, cheese, yogurt, butter, fruit, nuts/seeds.

Occasionally eat: beans, squash, potatoes.

Don't eat: sugar, grains, most processed food.

I don't drink coffee because I always thought that it would worsen my acne.  Anyway, I don't have problems falling asleep and getting about 6-8 hours of sleep.  But the problem is that everytime I wake up, I would feel tired as if the quality of sleep I am getting is not good enough.  Will melatonin help?

Mark Twain

I just have another question, does melatonin suppress cortisol (stress hormone)? I've searched through google and I have read mixed results. I've read that cortisol prevents skin regeneration during sleep.

The only way i get good sleep is if i go to sleep at 1-3 am then I usally wakup at 10-12 pm If I try to go to sleep earlier then the above time mentioned I will just stare at the roof and think of how acne has ruined my life in my cause my sleep problems are cause by depression from acne and tons of anger towards it(Im talking like acne is an actual person)

I quit using melatonin because it would make me sleep very hard for about 4-5 hours but then I would be wide awake. Oh, and I had VERY WEIRD dreams, too much for me so I switched to valerian and try to only use it a couple times a week.

What dose are you guys/gals taking?

The research suggests 0.3 mg is optimal... higher doses give nightmares. Most commercial offerings start at about 1mg in my experience.

"Gravity is just a theory. We shouldn't be teaching it to children as if it were fact."

OK, I think I may have to stop taking melatonin. Five days ago, I was clear with the exception of the red marks and it has been like that for several months now. Now, ever since I started taking melatonin, I have 7 active zits on my face. Anyway, I was taking 1.5 mg of melatonin.

I don't have insomia, but I just wanted a well-rested sleep. I am thinking of switching to Valerian but will that cause me to break out too?

Anybody here who took melatonin and it broke them out too?

What dose are you guys/gals taking?

The research suggests 0.3 mg is optimal... higher doses give nightmares. Most commercial offerings start at about 1mg in my experience.

Anyway, it is a bad idea to take sleeping pills every night. It is well known that those who are taking sleeping pills have significantly shorter life time.