Photo

Sleep problems

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 Steve2000`

Steve2000`

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 March 2005 - 07:13 AM

Lately i havent been sleeping, and its affecting my whole life. i cant think properly im walking round like a zombie. It is also affecting my acne.

Does anyone have any useful tips on how to sleep more, and more importantly how to improve quality of sleep, i sleep very lightly.

Thanks in advance

#2 Nathini

Nathini

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 March 2005 - 04:20 PM

When I can't sleep I usually put one of those "Solitudes" type nature sounds CDs on. It usually works for me.

Or you could buy some melatonin from your drug store. The brand I have is Melatonex, a "unique, time-release, drug-free formula." It's classified as a diet supplement becuase it's a substance we produce anyway that supposedly regulates the natural sleep cycle. I heard about it because I travel a lot and it's often prescribed to travellers to prevent jet lag and help them get to sleep in a new time zone. You don't need a prescription anymore there because you can just get it in a drug store these days.

Oh, and my package says that melatonin production can decrease due to alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, aspirin and "many common medications" so perhaps this is your problem.

#3 meowmix1234

meowmix1234

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 March 2005 - 11:33 PM

A good supplement that works well for sleep is melatonin you can find it at most drug stores or grocery stores. It helps you get back on your sleep cycle...I used it for a little while it helped me. Now I am on seroquel for my sleep but mine is uh mental illness related.

#4 Guest_Amy Lee_*

Guest_Amy Lee_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 14 March 2005 - 12:03 AM

Me too, I have problems sleeping. eusa_doh.gif

It's hard for me to dose off at night, but when it's in the afternoon, I can easily sleep. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I have too many worries in my head, that's why it's an effort for me to get enough zZzzzzz's...

Since I don't take melatonin, sleeping pills, aids or whatever drug, maybe the least to do is to stop worrying too much. That way I'll be able to relax...

#5 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2005 - 07:04 AM

I used to have TERRIBLE, AWFUL, insomnia. Unbelievable insomnia....my whole life, starting in my early twenties until the last year when I flushed my liver and did bowel cleansing. It only makes sense; those with acne have congested colons and livers.

I may take melatonin now; 1 mg....but I used to have to take 5-6 mgs. per night....and that STILL didn't always work. Herbs didn't even touch the insomnia I used to have.

#6 Steve2000`

Steve2000`

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:40 AM

[quote=Denise2,Mar 14 2005, 06:04 AM]
I used to have TERRIBLE, AWFUL, insomnia. Unbelievable insomnia....my whole life, starting in my early twenties until the last year when I flushed my liver and did bowel cleansing. It only makes sense; those with acne have congested colons and livers.

I may take melatonin now; 1 mg....but I used to have to take 5-6 mgs. per night....and that STILL didn't always work. Herbs didn't even touch the insomnia I used to have.

View Post

[/quote

Thanks to everyone for your replys.

Is melatonin the colour pigment that goes missing when u go grey?

Denise - i want to do liver flushing...but its time is so tight at the minute. im having trouble gettting round to do enemas, it seems a complicated process.

#7 Jay_68

Jay_68

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2005 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE(Steve2000` @ Mar 13 2005, 03:13 PM)
Lately i havent been sleeping, and its affecting my whole life. i cant think properly im walking round like a zombie. It is also affecting my acne.

Does anyone have any useful tips on how to sleep more, and more importantly how to improve quality of sleep, i sleep very lightly.

View Post

Speeping problems like insomnia and hypersomnia (when you are sleeping too much) are symptoms of a syndrome that modern medicine calls depression. Acne and depression are closely related.
Do not take sleeping pills or melatonin, it can worsen your insomnia (because of a phisiological fact that is called tolerance). The only thing that worked for me is valerian root extract (the most popular remedy in the past 200 years!)
I do recommend excercise (not too much, and not too late), warm bath (not too hot! not more than 30 mins) and read a good book before bedtime. Wake up early, and do not go to bed if you are not tired.
And do not think about sleeping too much, some otherwise helathy people can live with 3-4 hours sleep. Incredible!

#8 Steve2000`

Steve2000`

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2005 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE(Jay_68 @ Mar 14 2005, 09:13 AM)
Speeping problems like insomnia and hypersomnia (when you are sleeping too much) are symptoms of a syndrome that modern medicine calls depression. Acne and depression are closely related.
Do not take sleeping pills or melatonin, it can worsen your insomnia (because of a phisiological fact that is called tolerance). The only thing that worked for me is valerian root extract (the most popular remedy in the past 200 years!)
I do recommend excercise (not too much, and not too late), warm bath (not too hot! not more than 30 mins) and read a good book before bedtime.  Wake up early, and do not go to bed if you are not tired.
And do not think about sleeping too much, some otherwise helathy people can live with 3-4 hours sleep. Incredible!

View Post

Thanks jay,

Im not sure if it is depression related, my acne is a lot better than before. My problems have come because ive started work, and i when i go bed early i seem to have poor quality sleep and wake up too early, leaving me knackerd.

Admittedly i havent been in the best mood lately what with one thing and another.
Also i do regular exercise. As for Valerian i have used it before when i was like 15 when i used to have sleeping problems then, it worked at first but wore off, also did it make u more drowsy throughout the day.

Thanks again mate.

#9 Jay_68

Jay_68

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2005 - 10:34 AM

Hope you will find it interesting. Sourse: http://www.haelan.co..._Albicans.shtml

...Other symptoms and related conditions are many and varied, including: athlete's foot; migraine type headaches; fatigue; constipation; bloating; allergy; sensitivity to strong smells; poor memory; feelings of unreality; irritability; difficulty in concentrating; depression; numbness; tingling and weak muscles; heartburn; abdominal pain; diarrhoea; recurrent sore throats.
If you experience any of these symptoms and they become worse after eating sugary or yeast rich foods then it possible that you are suffering from candida. Symptoms also tend to get worse in damp or mouldy environments. Check with your doctor or a complementary therapist to be sure the vega test can check for Candida...

source:http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=15657193
1: Occup Environ Med. 2005 Feb;62(2):113-8.
Insomnia is more common among subjects living in damp buildings.
Janson C, Norback D, Omenaas E, Gislason T, Nystrom L, Jogi R, Lindberg E,
Gunnbjornsdottir M, Norrman E, Wentzel-Larsen T, Svanes C, Jensen EJ, Toren K;
RHINE study group.
Department of Medical Sciences: Respiratory Medicine and Allergology, Akademiska
sjukhuset, SE 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden. christer.janson@medsci.uu.se

BACKGROUND: Insomnia is a condition with a high prevalence and a great impact on quality of life. Little is known about the relation between and sleep
disturbances and the home environment. AIM: To analyse the association between
insomnia and building dampness. METHODS: In a cross-sectional, multicentre,
population study, 16 190 subjects (mean age 40 years, 53% women) were studied
from Reykjavik in Iceland, Bergen in Norway, Umea, Uppsala, and Goteborg in
Sweden, Aarhus in Denmark, and Tartu in Estonia. Symptoms related to insomnia
were assessed by questionnaire. RESULTS: Subjects living in houses with reported
signs of building dampness (n = 2873) had a higher prevalence of insomnia (29.4
v 23.6%; crude odds ratio 1.35, 95% CI 1.23 to 1.48). The association between
insomnia and different indicators of building dampness was strongest for floor
dampness: "bubbles or discoloration on plastic floor covering or discoloration
of parquet floor" (crude odds ratio 1.96, 95% CI 1.66 to 2.32). The associations
remained significant after adjusting for possible confounders such as sex, age,
smoking history, housing, body mass index, and respiratory diseases. There was
no significant difference between the centres in the association between
insomnia and building dampness. CONCLUSION: Insomnia is more common in subjects living in damp buildings. This indicates that avoiding dampness in building constructions and improving ventilation in homes may possibly have a positive effect on the quality of sleep.

I believe that candida and other yeast infections havte to do something with acne. See the topic "Is acne a fungal infection?".
Or is it just a coincidence? Any comments?

#10 Mitzie

Mitzie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2005 - 12:19 PM

It might be something really simple that people sometimes overlook - for me it was too much light. Try monitoring the light your bedroom gets. Make it very dark to sleep and when it's time to get up very bright. You can get cheap timers to put on the lamps. It's a simple and cheap change to make.

#11 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2005 - 12:50 PM

If it's insomnia, I don't knwo what to tell you but I tend to eat a lot(Have to just to maintain my weight) and I find that it's because I ate too much food after like 7. Also try exercise(Lol, what else would I recommend.) If I've really been active that day I fall right to sleep at night.

I guess they both fall into the excess energy category.

#12 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2005 - 01:12 PM

Yep. Bowel disturbances like candida can and does cause insomnia, as well as liver congestion.

No herbs......poppy, hops, valerian, calms forte, etc....ever TOUCHED my insomnia.....ever. Calms Forte' would work for about a week and then it wouldn't work anymore.

Melatonin is extremely safe and you never build up a tolerance to it that I have ever noticed, and I have taken it for many years. I sometimes don't take it, but take 1/2 to 1 mg. if I need to. That's a far cry from taking 5-6 mgs.

My understanding is that when the liver is attempting to produce bile and cleanse the blood at night, if it is congested, that action will keep you awake (for some reason).

#13 Steve2000`

Steve2000`

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2005 - 02:55 PM

what is candida? Sorry for ignorance.

As for melatonin isnt that the pigment that the hair needs to retains its colour.

Thanks again

#14 Jay_68

Jay_68

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 March 2005 - 01:38 AM

QUOTE(Steve2000` @ Mar 14 2005, 10:55 PM)
what is candida? Sorry for ignorance.

As for melatonin isnt that the pigment that the hair needs to retains its colour.

Thanks again

View Post

The pigment is melanin produced by melanocytes in the skin, but melatonin is a hormone exreted by the pineal gland and regulates sleep cycles.

Candida albicans is a yeast-like fungus that normally lives in healthy balance in the body, found mostly in the intestines, genital tract, mouth, and throat. When the balance is upset, infection results. This is known as Candidiasis and the fungus travels to all parts of the body through the bloodstream. In the mouth, it is called thrush; in the vagina, it is called vaginitis. It affects both women and men but is rarely transmitted sexually.
(source: http://www.shirleys-...com/candida.htm

#15 Steve2000`

Steve2000`

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2005 - 01:46 PM

Right i couldnt find melatonin so i bought the valerian. i had a better night sleep last nigh, hopefully it will contiune.

Also jay as for candida the cure is grapefruit seed? Have you yourself suffered with candida and did you cure yourself?

Thanks again.

#16 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2005 - 03:36 PM

I've never had chronic insomnia, but valerian has always worked well for me when I've had trouble sleeping. Also, as BBB says, exercise is key. My legs are practically jumping around by themselves in bed if I've been sitting in school all day and didn't get enough exercise.
I also often have a cup of tea close to the time I'm going to bed. Chammomile, or you can get "nighty night" blends that have other sleepy herbs in them as well. Traditional Medicinals makes a nice one.
One other tip is to learn some quieting restorative easy yoga poses to calm your mind before bed. Look up restorative yoga.

#17 kamstan

kamstan

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2005 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE(duckykay2 @ Mar 13 2005, 10:33 PM)
A good supplement that works well for sleep is melatonin you can find it at most drug stores or grocery stores.  It helps you get back on your sleep cycle...I used it for a little while it helped me.  Now I am on seroquel for my sleep but mine is uh mental illness related.

View Post

COSTCO sells the best melatonin, I have severe sleep probs and it helps me, and my friend too. The brand name is Schiff

#18 ThomThumb

ThomThumb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:46 PM

sledgehammer

#19 joepublic

joepublic

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2005 - 06:39 PM

not being able to sleep is usually down to stress, i sleep far better if i read for half an hour before i try to sleep.

if i know i need a real good nights sleep i neck some 5htp that i have left over, they're not sleeping pills but do the job wink.gif

#20 lauryn

lauryn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:34 PM

i take my antipsychotic and that knocks me right out