Photo

Can caffeine have an impact on your skin?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 mememememe

mememememe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 07:59 AM

I was just wondering if caffeine has an impact on acne, I read this in a magazine. I'm a Diet Coke addict so I consume a lot of caffeine during the day, wonder if it will make a difference if I quit.
If it does make a difference, would it be because of a direct relationship or maybe because it creates sort of a stress-situation in your body which makes you break out?
Any thoughts/experiences?

#2 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE(mememememe @ Mar 12 2005, 06:59 AM)
I was just wondering if caffeine has an impact on acne, I read this in a magazine. I'm a Diet Coke addict so I consume a lot of caffeine during the day, wonder if it will make a difference if I quit.
If it does make a difference, would it be because of a direct relationship or maybe because it creates sort of a stress-situation in your body which makes you break out?

View Post

Possibly although the other ingredients in diet coke are probably more likely to break you out.

#3 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:07 AM

Just drink rat poison, you'd be better off. eusa_doh.gif eusa_sick.gif wacko.gif

#4 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE(Denise2 @ Mar 12 2005, 08:07 AM)
Just drink rat poison, you'd be better off. eusa_doh.gif  eusa_sick.gif  wacko.gif

View Post

Tastes better too lol.gif

#5 Exodus78

Exodus78

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE(mememememe @ Mar 12 2005, 08:59 AM)

View Post

It's probably all of the chemicals in the soda, the artificial sweetners that's doing it.

#6 mememememe

mememememe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE(Exodus78 @ Mar 12 2005, 03:23 PM)
It's probably all of the chemicals in the soda, the artificial sweetners that's doing it.

View Post

Damn, what am I gonna drink.. I was switching to just drinking water and some other Soda drink without cafeine but it has the same artificial sweeteners.

#7 Iarephel

Iarephel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 10:37 AM

What about the caffiene in general and not the soda itself?

#8 BomberMan

BomberMan

He might get the ace or the top one,So organise your two's a

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE(Denise2 @ Mar 12 2005, 07:07 AM)
Just drink rat poison, you'd be better off. eusa_doh.gif  eusa_sick.gif  wacko.gif

View Post

lol, its funny because its true.

Iarephel, seriously your asking for trouble with that stuff, drink lots of water and fruit juice instead your skin will look better and YOU will feel beter.

#9 sinashgh

sinashgh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 12:44 PM

dude 3 years ago I used to drink at least 2 cans of Pepsi a day cuz I was addicted and my face was like shit. I quit and within 3 weeks I see my face is 86% or so better.

Quit it however I'm still interested in this question because I want to know if it was the Caffeine that was so bad or all that sugar in it? Cuz I want to know if Coffee is bad for my skin or not.

#10 ~TEPL0~

~TEPL0~

back from the dead

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 01:02 PM

Here's what I noticed:

Caffeine doesn't cause acne, but it makes red marks look worse. Possibly because it increases blood circulation.

#11 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 02:19 PM

Increased circulation in a good thing. It's most likely the sugar. One can has more sugar than a few chocolate bars. If you took a look at the sugar in one can it's disgusting(Well it's not really table sugar because the US has embargos on that so the US Coke uses high fructose corn syrup, which is much worse). Consider yourself very very lucky if it's the caffiene because it's much easier to stop taking that than limiting products that raise blood sugar.

#12 Iarephel

Iarephel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 02:57 PM

Iarephel, seriously your asking for trouble with that stuff, drink lots of water and fruit juice instead your skin will look better and YOU will feel beter.

nah I was just asking because basically I cut out all caffiene from my diet. I was just wondering about coffee because I love it, but I've heard it can irritate acne.

#13 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE(Iarephel @ Mar 12 2005, 01:57 PM)
nah I was just asking because basically I cut out all caffiene from my diet. I was just wondering about coffee because I love it, but I've heard it can irritate acne.

View Post

Well I do know that caffiene increases IGF-1 levels which is something, those of us that follow particular diets try to avoid when we avoid dairy (casien & whey, & increased IGF-1), Whole soy protein, MSG, and I don't know what else ;-)

I personally avoid all of the above (some just "in case"), but I will enjoy 100% soy sauce occassionally on asian food, and I will occassionally bend and drink coffee or tea that's not decaffinated if it's a flavor I REALLY want. Otherwise I don't get (that much) caffiene in my system unless I'm eating dark chocolate candy bar. Ha ha and this was something that does break me out a bit, due to the organic sugar content, and so I had actually given up on it because after avoiding chocolate candy & soda for 10 years, I really didn't enjoy the taste of chocolate. LOL, that was until I tried Rapunzel Dark Chocolate Espresso....oh my heavens way too good for words. Since I don't run on caffiene I actually did feel a bit of a kick for a few minutes after eating it. I am now forever searching for ingredients to make my own "safe" version of that bar, but I'll still only eat it occassionlly.

Anyway, here's what an article on pubmed had to say:

J Nutr. 2004 Oct;134(10):2528-33. Related Articles, Links 

Caffeine ingestion before an oral glucose tolerance test impairs blood glucose management in men with type 2 diabetes.

Robinson LE, Savani S, Battram DS, McLaren DH, Sathasivam P, Graham TE.

Department of Human Biology and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada. Lrobinso@uoguelph.ca

Caffeine ingestion negatively affects insulin sensitivity during an oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) in lean and obese men, but this has not been studied in individuals with type 2 diabetes. We examined the effects of caffeine ingestion on insulin and glucose homeostasis in obese men with type 2 diabetes. Men (n = 12) with type 2 diabetes (age = 49 +/- 2 y, BMI = 32 +/- 1 kg/m(2)) underwent 2 trials, 1 wk apart, in a randomized, double-blind design. Each trial was conducted after withdrawal from caffeine, alcohol, exercise, and oral hypoglycemic agents for 48 h and an overnight fast. Subjects randomly ingested caffeine (5 mg/kg body weight) or placebo capsules and 1 h later began a 3 h 75 g OGTT. Caffeine increased (P < 0.05) serum insulin, proinsulin, and C-peptide concentrations during the OGTT relative to placebo. Insulin area under the curve was 25% greater (P < 0.05) after caffeine than after placebo ingestion. Despite this, blood glucose concentration was also increased (P < 0.01) in the caffeine trial. After caffeine ingestion, blood glucose remained elevated (P < 0.01) at 3 h postglucose load (8.9 +/- 0.7 mmol/L) compared with baseline (6.7 +/- 0.4 mmol/L). The insulin sensitivity index was lower (14%, P = 0.02) after caffeine than after placebo ingestion. Overall, despite elevated and prolonged proinsulin, C-peptide, and insulin responses after caffeine ingestion, blood glucose was also increased, suggesting an acute caffeine-induced impairment in blood glucose management in men with type 2 diabetes.  http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=15465742

What I will say is that while whole dairy breaks me out in cysts (whey & casien in larger cysts), the dark chocolate bar only gave me sugar pimples. So the question is just how much does caffiene raise your IGF-1 & Insulin levels (see above study) and how sensitive you personally are to it. This may be a case of moderation for you and of course you can always get coffee decaffinated if it's really just for the (acquired) taste. ;-)

HTH

#14 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 05:29 PM

Naw, you've just never had a great cup of coffee. Try getting some from a wholesaler with beans that are fresh. Grind them up yourself, use a kettle to make it and there'll be a big difference. All other substitutes, including decaf just doesn't taste as good(Although it is a pocedure so I rarely drink coffee as this takes a lot longer but is the only way I like coffee). Of course we all know that for most coffee drinkers moderation isn't in their vocabulary. Gotta have their 3 cups in the morning, 2 at break, 2 at lunch, etc...

Besides, and what a surprise, there is health benefits to drinking coffee in moderation. Just don't take all that damn cream and sugar in it(If it's good coffee it won't need it), and you'll be fine with an occasional fix.

Unless there is a more serious medical issue present, or an allergy I can't see how even the tiniest thing sets them off in acne or acne like lesions. The way some people here avoid foods you would think their bodies have no defence system or regulation system. If you can't even cheat on a food every once in a while, go to the damn doctor and get the full battery of tests done to make sure there isn't something more serious behind it all.

Just some fact about drinking coffee(Caffeinated):

A harvard study over almost 20 years on 110,000 people showed that 1-3 cups a day reduces type 2 diabetes. However drinking up to 6 cups reduces the chances in men by 54% and women by 30%. Although drinking that much may have other problems.

It reduces the risk or parkinsons by 80%, with the more coffee they drink the lower the risk.

2 cups reduces colon cancer risk by 25%, 80% reduction in developing cirrosis, and here's a bigone for you acne people:

50% reduction in gallstones.

It's great for your liver as well.

I can give yout he journals if you like. What's more is I found all this info on a secondary site advocating the liver flush.

Here's something for you Jade:

Coffe has quinines, magnesium, and chlorogenic acid : These increase insulin sensitivity and help glucose metabolization. THose drinking decaffeinated coffee also showed improvements but 50% less than those drinking normal coffee.

Now here's something that is good and bad: The thing that makes coffee bitter has anti bacterial and anti adhesive properties and lowered the risk of cavities, however we all know how it stains your teeth.

Good for those that drink crappy coffee but bad for people like me is that the oil in coffee that cause high cholesterol are filtered out in a coffee machine whereas if you just boil the coffee without a filter it increases cholesterol slightly. However if you're healthy and active, it doesn't affect you in the long run.

However if you're worried about pesticides get organic coffee because it's sprayed with the most chemicals than any other food/beverage source.

#15 Redsquirrel

Redsquirrel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 06:05 PM

well i gave yo drinking any soda at the end of december. Even diet stuff because i am pretty sure it was also causing probs.

#16 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 08:04 PM

BBB,

Thanks for posting all that great info, dark chocolate is also beneficial too! Anyway, I also ran into some studies that of course state that for the long term, coffee consumption correlates with a decrease in IR & Type II Diabetes. Although the same can be said for Whey and Peanut butter, and how many people on here break out from these. So while there appears to be correlations for some us when it comes to looking at foods, diets, & studies regarding Type II Diabetes, not all of them are entirely accurate for us. Although based on the studies I've come across each of those factor may increase insulin levels more than the other and so in order from greatest to least:

Whey

Casien

MSG (?)

Caffiene

(Based on Insulin AUC % and GIP AUC %)

So anywone interested will ultimately have to experiment for themselves. Otherwise, hopefully moderation is all that's in order here.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=14706966

http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=15010442

Oh and as for being so sensitive to foods that ya break out, yes it is is crying shame! I was reading how Type II Diabetics really aren't that sensitive to table sugar compared to bread or fructose and yet even table sugar breaks me out ...admittedly not as much as bread or fructose would. Unfortunately even the diabetic medication can make up for it so it's pointless for me to go back on avandia...unless to gain wait again ;-) That leads me to what natural solutions you've tried. You are not a liver flush advocated, but have you ever detoxed or used liver aiding supplements?

Thanxs

#17 yetanother

yetanother

uniformly convergent

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 08:39 PM

I asked my dermatologist about food and stuff that might affect acne. She said as long as someone eats reasonably well food wouldn't have a significant effect, but caffeine could.

I've gone weeks without caffeine and had no skin improvements. I say as long as you drink enough water too don't worry about having coffee or a coke, if you're not diabetic I suppose. And drinking too much water strains the kidneys anyway, which I can vouch for.

Diet coke (and most diet pop) has aspartame instead of high-fructose corn syrup. There is some evidence it might be much worse in some ways, but that doesn't concern acne.

I agree about experimenting with caffeine to see how it really affects you. I wouldn't want to give it up unless I really knew for sure. Caffeine withdraw can be a bitch for coffee and soda junkies :-/

#18 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:45 PM

Back when I used to break out a lot, coffee used to break me out BAD! Just as bad as dairy and sugar. I think it was very hard on my liver....I would also become totally exhausted about 2-3 hours after drinking only 1 cup. I only drank 1 cup of coffee a day and it used to make me feel SO HORRIBLE....though I loved the stuff. I drink it now occasionally but prefer some kind of tea; either oolong, earl gray, or english breakfast. Now that my body is functioning much better, nothing much breaks me out except for occasionally, not even coffee. But now I'm out of the habit but drink it occasionally.

But artifical sweeteners tend to break me out; particularly the alcohol sugar sweeteners. The best tasting one is maltitol imho, but sucralose, aspartame......pffffffffft....those are horrible. Even some medical doctors say they are bad.

#19 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 March 2005 - 01:40 AM

Jade: ya, I've tried all sorts of other liver cleaning procedures other than the flush. I've used milk thistle before. I've used real chopped up burdock root with the detox combo of dandilion root, cinnamon, artichoke, oat, yellow dock, etc...

I've always drank lemon in water as I think it tastes better.

I couldn't tell if it helped my liver as it wasn't really a problem for me, just preventative, but whenever I went out to drink I never got a hangover and sobered up very very fast after taking this stuff so it must help make your liver function stronger. Haven't really tested it out recently because I drink for the health benefits and the taste(I don't understand people who drink, even to get drunk and not like the taste) over getting drunk(Although St. Patricks is coming up and Guiness happens to be one of my favorite beers and the owener of the pub I go to used to be the brewmaster for Guiness so I may have to test the theory again eusa_angel.gif ).

I don't do huge extreme cleansing procedures(Not referring extreme as dangerous just, well... extreme, you know irrigated water up the bunghole isn't minor). I've had a colonoscopy and nothing was found, it was smooth and pink inside. Same with the immediate relatives I've talked to so I don't feel the need to(Some of said relatives have led unhealthy lifestyles too).

I never really liked fast food, and grew up in a town so it was never an issue for me. Now in the city I still only eat fast food like once a month.

I guess you can call my diet all my life similar to what they had before microwaves a such, all homemade. I don't think I've ever eaten more than 4 slices of white bread in my life, we always ate wild and brown rice,etc.... So I never taxed my liver or other organs too much.

What I'm getting at is that I've been well above average in terms of health all my life so when I disagree with the liver flush, the need for enemas, etc... it's not because I've tried them and they haven't worked, it's because there haven't been any signs that have pointed to me needing them or the research isn't there(Not meaning industry recognized, even an independant double blind study would satisfy me). That's my weak point is that I haven't had the chance personally to try these things and give a first hand assessment of them. I don't thikn it's physically possible for the gallbladder or the liver to harbour such a large amount of stones without very serious consequences, and especially since the ducts in the liver are not conducive to having all these stones. If you look at it logically, nothing would be digested properly, the liver would be too taxed to remove any toxins, you would die fairly quickly IMO and that's exactly what happens to people who's livers are under the amount of stress that Chark et al says it is. What do you think jade? You're a nutrition scholar so you should know the body better than me. I can't see how the liver could function with it filled with stones or that it has many stones at all.

HOWEVER, if it is some other mechanism, mental or otherwise and as long as the flushers, behind irrigators, etc.. aren't getting hurt I have no real problem with it. It's just that people like Denise are preaching to a bunch of teens, not people who have had 40 years to mess up thier bodies. I think prevention would be more important to them. Instead of scaring them into thinking they are full of parasites, stones, plaque, teach them how to live a lifestyle that prevents this. That's one of my main problems with the alternative sites. They are brilliant at promoting fear.

Sorry Denise, I said I wouldn't talk about flushing. eusa_liar.gif

#20 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 March 2005 - 01:50 PM

BBB....the reason why I believe that teens are great for liver flushing is precisely because they aren't so clogged up that it would endanger them to do it! The people who are "at risk" doing a flush are people with severely atrophied gallbladders.

But the issue is the American diet; nothing else is the issue. Mucoid plaque and stones develop for only one reason: LIFESTYLE AND DIET.

Americans generally speaking are NOTORIOUSLY uneducated about diet. Many of them have NO CLUE that hydrogenated oils or sweeteners like aspartame are unhealthy and even bad for the body. If you understand WHY stones form and WHY mucoid plaque forms....it's obvious that neither of these conditions discriminate based on age and are products of unhealthy eating habits, which occur from formula feeding all the way through McDonald's happy meals through pizza parties at Scouts groups.

Julia Chang told me in a conversation with her by phone once that a 4 year old with a peanut allergy that could have killed her did a flush whereby she passed 30-40 small stones. She was immediately cured of her life-threatening food allergy.

I was raised on junk and southern cooking; soda, ice cream, (not as treats but as everyday foods) lard in the piecrust and bacon grease poured over the green beans, wonderbread (WHITE BREAD ONLY), canned soup, "salads" that consisted of iceburg lettuce, tomatoes, and mayonnaise. I could go on and on. But is it any wonder whatsoever that I had all the problems with my body that I've had? Heck no it's not. The signs were there when I was very young, but we were ignorant back then.