Does wheat include oatmeal?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Shjaker_*

Guest_Shjaker_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:56 PM

Can we still eat oatmeal without any facial irritations?

And oh my god what about BANANA BREAD??!??!! I love that!!!!! -gasp-!! shock.gif

#2 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2005 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE(Shjaker @ Mar 11 2005, 01:56 PM)
Can we still eat oatmeal without any facial irritations?

And oh my god what about BANANA BREAD??!??!! I love that!!!!! -gasp-!!  shock.gif

View Post

Some people can handle oats while not being able to handle gluten/wheat so you'll have to try it out for yourself and see if it affects you. Banana Bread is made of wheat so if you're avoiding wheat, you'll want to be avoiding all breads(aside from those blah overpriced gluten-free things).

#3 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2005 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE(SteveLewis @ Mar 11 2005, 04:03 PM)
Some people can handle oats while not being able to handle gluten/wheat so you'll have to try it out for yourself and see if it affects you. Banana Bread is made of wheat so if you're avoiding wheat, you'll want to be avoiding all breads(aside from those blah overpriced gluten-free things).

View Post

Banana bread also has sugars, eggs and fats - don't just look to stopping wheat, stop refined white flour products, and sugar. You can stick with old fashioned oatmeal without adding sugar. Try adding a cut up apple, a few walnuts and some cinnamon. It is very tasty. Ground flaxseed is also a good choice to add. Some can't tolerate any grains, but try and see by eliminating the obvious bad choices.

#4 xmarysue

xmarysue

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2005 - 07:42 PM

yeah.. i'd definitely stick with the 'old fashioned' oatmeal as minny suggests, as opposed to instant oatmeal, which breaks me out. i don't have trouble with the old fashioned, slow cooking whole oats.

#5 stillNotGetNnE

stillNotGetNnE

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2005 - 07:57 PM

So is Quacker Oatmeal not good for you? I thought whole grains was good for you?

Sean

#6 xmarysue

xmarysue

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE(stillNotGetNnE @ Mar 12 2005, 01:57 AM)
So is Quacker Oatmeal not good for you?  I thought whole grains was good for you?

View Post

i eat the quaker oatmeal.. quaker has BOTH the 'old fashioned' oats, and the instant kind. i just stay away from the instant/packets.

#7 stillNotGetNnE

stillNotGetNnE

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:04 PM

i eat the quaker oatmeal.. quaker has BOTH the 'old fashioned' oats, and the instant kind. i just stay away from the instant/packets.

I have the quacker oatmeal, the assorted kind (3 kinds i think) that you boil hot water and add alittle etc. Isnt that instant? Whats the instant/Packets? your talking about.

Sean

#8 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE(stillNotGetNnE @ Mar 11 2005, 07:04 PM)
I have the quacker oatmeal, the assorted kind (3 kinds i think) that you boil hot water and add alittle etc.  Isnt that instant?  Whats the instant/Packets? your talking about. 

Sean

View Post

Yes those are instant.

http://www.quakeroat...ldFashioned.cfm

Those are the ones she's probably talking about. Just the oats with no additional sugars or flavorings.

#9 xmarysue

xmarysue

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:07 PM

yep - you're eating the instant, which would likely cause breakouts for me. the 'assorted' varieties are flavored with lotsa sugar, which is definitely a problem for me. check the ingredients.

#10 stillNotGetNnE

stillNotGetNnE

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:24 PM

This sucks, I thought it was good for you, this sucks.

Sean

#11 BlackBetty

BlackBetty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 07:03 AM

I buy the 100% oats in bulk form. They are not expensive and are the best you just add water and raisins or apples.

#12 Guest_Shjaker_*

Guest_Shjaker_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 12 March 2005 - 08:42 AM

Okay.. so generally when people say to avoid wheats, they mean breads pretty much?

That doesnt include oats, or flax?

#13 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE(Shjaker @ Mar 12 2005, 07:42 AM)
Okay.. so generally when people say to avoid wheats, they mean breads pretty much?

That doesnt include oats, or flax?

View Post

When people say wheat, they mean anything that has wheat in it which includes a lot of prepared meals/easy to make meals(ramen, a lot of frozen meals etc.), most breads, cookies, candy bars and the like.

Oats do contain gluten but I don't know if that's a problem for you.

Flax is fine.

#14 Guest_Shjaker_*

Guest_Shjaker_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE(SteveLewis @ Mar 12 2005, 10:59 AM)
Flax is fine.

View Post

Twas what I thought. But then you can get all technical and say "what about flax muffins" biggrin.gif Seriously lol. They taste good..

And the bread I eat is 100% whole grain soy bread and I only have one piece per 3-4 days. Its really good and healthy biggrin.gif

#15 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE(Shjaker @ Mar 12 2005, 08:41 AM)
Twas what I thought. But then you can get all technical and say "what about flax muffinsbiggrin.gif Seriously lol. They taste good..

And the bread I eat is 100% whole grain soy bread and I only have one piece per 3-4 days. Its really good and healthy  biggrin.gif

View Post

Well muffins and all other bread related products(bagels, donuts, etc.) that may include flax also have wheat...

#16 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE(SteveLewis @ Mar 12 2005, 09:58 AM)
Well muffins and all other bread related products(bagels, donuts, etc.) that may include flax also have wheat...

View Post

Ahh, those MAY have wheat and...well... chances are that they do. ;-)

"wheat" is also known as "flour" unless otherwise specified.

Wheat is also durum, semolina, matza, couscous, bulgur, farina, spelt, and for you vegans...seitan!

So you "bread" lovers want to look for items that say Wheat-Free or Gluten-Free, but bear in mind that Wheat-Free may be usng Spelt (low gluten cousin).

Best wishes