Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anyone on Atkins?

14 posts in this topic

I've been on and off for quite awhile and my skin is going crazy. I never used to break out this bad. I'm getting a few cysts too. I've tried to pinpoint what i've been doing differently and this is the only thing that comes to mind but i'm not sure if this diet would cause acne. Is anyone here on it?

I've been on and off for quite awhile and my skin is going crazy. I never used to break out this bad. I'm getting a few cysts too. I've tried to pinpoint what i've been doing differently and this is the only thing that comes to mind but i'm not sure if this diet would cause acne. Is anyone here on it?

You are close to being on the right track.  However, I would modify Atkins as this is what is believed to be best for acne.

Lean proteins only - no greasy bacons, fatty meats, only lean turkey breast, chicken breast, fish - things like that

Limit or cut out all dairy

Start having more and more veggies and fruit

Stay clear of wheat and other grain products unless it is brown rice, quinoa, old fashioned oats - things like that

Of course, stay clear of any refined sugars

Good luck

You are close to being on the right track.  However, I would modify Atkins as this is what is believed to be best for acne.

Lean proteins only - no greasy bacons, fatty meats, only lean turkey breast, chicken breast, fish - things like that

Limit or cut out all dairy

Start having more and more veggies and fruit

Stay clear of wheat and other grain products unless it is brown rice, quinoa, old fashioned oats - things like that

Of course, stay clear of any refined sugars

Good luck

Yep pretty much.  Also, might be beneficixal to take some probiotics as well to replace the good bacteria lost from antibiotics that stupid companies put in food.

I've been meaning to get some vitamins and things of that nature but I have no idea what to look for and where to find it. This 'probiotic' you mentioned, is it available in regular grocery stores?

I've been trying to up my veggie intake but i've never been a big vegetable person.

By the way, in case anyone is confused... A Probiotic is a pill that contains active bacteria. Humans have evolved with bacteria forever, all life does. Some bacteria are detrimental to other life forms and some actually help. Some bacteria within us help digest food, etc. The craze with antibiotics has gotten out of hand for certain applications. An antibitic isn't preferential, it will kill all bacteria, good or bad. People without any good bacteria can develop serious health problems, but luckily it never goes this far because bacteria is still readily available in many things we eat and breathe.

What Probiotics do is replace what was never supposed to be eradicated. Don't get shivers because you're swallowing a pill with 30 billion+ bacterium, these pill contain strains that are known and researched to be helpful to us. Many of these good bacteria target bad bacteria even. It's a shame some foods are filled with antibiotics that actually cripple our functioning in many cases. sad.gif

I guess it could be considered yo-yo dieting but what I do is called 'carb cycling'. It basically is intended to break weight stalls. I normally eat very low carb for 1-2 weeks and then eat very high carb for a day. On the high carb days, I go all out and eat just about everything so it'd be hard to pinpoint a particular food. I've eaten those foods before though and have never had this problem. It's possible to develop an allergy that quick? Someone said the weight lose causes fluctuations in hormone levels thus the acne increase.

I was thinking about taking vitmin b6...it's supposed to regulate the hormones.

when i was going all out atkins styleee my skin was pretty much perfect, then i moved back out to uni and living on meat was too expensive so went back to the grains, carbs and dairy etc, and my skin went mental. Im now eating as low carb as my lifestyle permits and 'think' my skin is improving, hard to be sure yet.

A quick note on probiotics. I have been able to find them in most drug stores and even in larger supermarkets these days. If you get the kind that are enteric coated then you may not need to refridgerate them after opening. The other benefit of enteric coated capsules is that they don't dissolve until they hit your intestines - which is nice, because otherwise you're wasting a bunch of them on your stomach. Well, that's what I've been told anyway.

A quick note on probiotics.  I have been able to find them in most drug stores and even in larger supermarkets these days.  If you get the kind that are enteric coated then you may not need to refridgerate them after opening.  The other benefit of enteric coated capsules is that they don't dissolve until they hit your intestines - which is nice, because otherwise you're wasting a bunch of them on your stomach.  Well, that's what I've been told anyway.