Photo

anyone on Atkins?

atkins

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 girl3900

girl3900

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:02 PM

I've been on and off for quite awhile and my skin is going crazy. I never used to break out this bad. I'm getting a few cysts too. I've tried to pinpoint what i've been doing differently and this is the only thing that comes to mind but i'm not sure if this diet would cause acne. Is anyone here on it?

#2 Melchior

Melchior

I'm naoya_socol's #1 fan!!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE(girl3900 @ Mar 10 2005, 08:02 PM)
I've been on and off for quite awhile and my skin is going crazy. I never used to break out this bad. I'm getting a few cysts too. I've tried to pinpoint what i've been doing differently and this is the only thing that comes to mind but i'm not sure if this diet would cause acne. Is anyone here on it?

View Post

Actually, I heard Atkins (or any low carb diet) has been shown to ease or put into remission many skin disorders like eczema and psoriasis.

I couldn't tell you from my own experience though. confused.gif

#3 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE(girl3900 @ Mar 10 2005, 09:02 PM)

View Post

You are close to being on the right track. However, I would modify Atkins as this is what is believed to be best for acne.

Lean proteins only - no greasy bacons, fatty meats, only lean turkey breast, chicken breast, fish - things like that

Limit or cut out all dairy

Start having more and more veggies and fruit

Stay clear of wheat and other grain products unless it is brown rice, quinoa, old fashioned oats - things like that

Of course, stay clear of any refined sugars

Good luck

"Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place."

Mark Twain

#4 Melchior

Melchior

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE(Minnym0use @ Mar 10 2005, 09:13 PM)
You are close to being on the right track.  However, I would modify Atkins as this is what is believed to be best for acne.

Lean proteins only - no greasy bacons, fatty meats, only lean turkey breast, chicken breast, fish - things like that

Stay clear of wheat and other grain products unless it is brown rice, quinoa, old fashioned oats - things like that

Good luck

View Post

Yep pretty much. Also, might be beneficixal to take some probiotics as well to replace the good bacteria lost from antibiotics that stupid companies put in food.

#5 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2005 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE(Minnym0use @ Mar 10 2005, 08:13 PM)
You are close to being on the right track.  However, I would modify Atkins as this is what is believed to be best for acne.

Good luck

View Post

I used to be SOOOO anti-Atkins, because I saw all these people (my brother included) eating tons of red meat, peanuts, string cheese!.... all KINDS of crap, and thinking they were on some magical diet, and I was like, this Atkins guy SUCKS! But actually, he was more of advocate of the kind of diet Minny is referring too, lean proteins, and lots of veggies. I think he did still include dairy however.
My regimen:

Eat regularly: a wide variety of vegetables, eggs, meat/fish, cheese, yogurt, butter, fruit, nuts/seeds.

Occasionally eat: beans, squash, potatoes.

Don't eat: sugar, grains, most processed food.

#6 girl3900

girl3900

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 March 2005 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE(Melchior @ Mar 10 2005, 08:41 PM)
Yep pretty much.  Also, might be beneficixal to take some probiotics as well to replace the good bacteria lost from antibiotics that stupid companies put in food.

View Post

I've been meaning to get some vitamins and things of that nature but I have no idea what to look for and where to find it. This 'probiotic' you mentioned, is it available in regular grocery stores?

I've been trying to up my veggie intake but i've never been a big vegetable person.

#7 Melchior

Melchior

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2005 - 12:24 AM

QUOTE(girl3900 @ Mar 11 2005, 12:13 AM)
I've been meaning to get some vitamins and things of that nature but I have no idea what to look for and where to find it. This 'probiotic' you mentioned, is it available in regular grocery stores?

I've been trying to up my veggie intake but i've never been a big vegetable person.

View Post

It's not available in normal stores because it needs to be kept cold I think. Normally you order it and it gets sent in dry ice or something. If you keep the jar out of the refrigerator or in a humid/warm location the bacteria will eventually all die out. These pills usually contain over 30 billion strands of bacteria, so its normally okay if you leave it out for a little bit. I never seen any in normal stores though, maybe a health food store might?

Anyways, I can't recommend any yet because I'm still doing the research. Some are "general" purpose and some help with yeast or fungal problems, etc. I'll look around though and tell you if I see a good one! biggrin.gif

#8 Melchior

Melchior

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2005 - 12:35 AM

By the way, in case anyone is confused... A Probiotic is a pill that contains active bacteria. Humans have evolved with bacteria forever, all life does. Some bacteria are detrimental to other life forms and some actually help. Some bacteria within us help digest food, etc. The craze with antibiotics has gotten out of hand for certain applications. An antibitic isn't preferential, it will kill all bacteria, good or bad. People without any good bacteria can develop serious health problems, but luckily it never goes this far because bacteria is still readily available in many things we eat and breathe.

What Probiotics do is replace what was never supposed to be eradicated. Don't get shivers because you're swallowing a pill with 30 billion+ bacterium, these pill contain strains that are known and researched to be helpful to us. Many of these good bacteria target bad bacteria even. It's a shame some foods are filled with antibiotics that actually cripple our functioning in many cases. sad.gif

#9 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2005 - 01:17 AM

QUOTE(girl3900 @ Mar 10 2005, 07:02 PM)

View Post

Unfortunately once you try a diet that favors healthier & acne-free skin, you can't yo yo diet. So it's possible that if your situation isn't just getting worse over time naturally, that it's a result of you going back to eating foods that were more unfavorable for your skin (& possibly your body). This has happened to some of us at least once and basically as a result of following these diets, we not only help heal our existing acne, but we also allow our bodies to become resensitized to past and current irritants that are in our diet. Hence, this is what usually leads to the breaking out "in new areas" or "worse than ever before" =( It's a very good & hard way to let you know that you did something (knowingly or unknowingly) that really hurt or pissed your body off and so you can try to look at it positively in that light, especially if you can pinpoint the irritant. Although this is one reason that those that merely dabble in these diets shouldn't follow them unless they intend to follow through because the breakouts may very well be worse than they were before they started if they "cheat" or completely go back to their prior diet.

So are you yo-yoing? Or have you added in something new to your diet or increased consumption of something that may fall into the top allergen/intolerant food list?

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#10 girl3900

girl3900

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:03 AM

I guess it could be considered yo-yo dieting but what I do is called 'carb cycling'. It basically is intended to break weight stalls. I normally eat very low carb for 1-2 weeks and then eat very high carb for a day. On the high carb days, I go all out and eat just about everything so it'd be hard to pinpoint a particular food. I've eaten those foods before though and have never had this problem. It's possible to develop an allergy that quick? Someone said the weight lose causes fluctuations in hormone levels thus the acne increase.

I was thinking about taking vitmin b6...it's supposed to regulate the hormones.

#11 phil_b

phil_b

$_GET['myName']

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:27 AM

when i was going all out atkins styleee my skin was pretty much perfect, then i moved back out to uni and living on meat was too expensive so went back to the grains, carbs and dairy etc, and my skin went mental. Im now eating as low carb as my lifestyle permits and 'think' my skin is improving, hard to be sure yet.
"The man who can't visualize a horse galloping on a tomato is an idiot."
- AndrĂƒÂ© Breton

#12 girl3900

girl3900

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:28 AM

uh oh. I'll have to be on this forever! ah. I hate meat sad.gif

#13 Nathini

Nathini

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 10:24 PM

A quick note on probiotics. I have been able to find them in most drug stores and even in larger supermarkets these days. If you get the kind that are enteric coated then you may not need to refridgerate them after opening. The other benefit of enteric coated capsules is that they don't dissolve until they hit your intestines - which is nice, because otherwise you're wasting a bunch of them on your stomach. Well, that's what I've been told anyway.
Only connect...

#14 Melchior

Melchior

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE(Nathini @ Mar 12 2005, 10:24 PM)
A quick note on probiotics.  I have been able to find them in most drug stores and even in larger supermarkets these days.  If you get the kind that are enteric coated then you may not need to refridgerate them after opening.  The other benefit of enteric coated capsules is that they don't dissolve until they hit your intestines - which is nice, because otherwise you're wasting a bunch of them on your stomach.  Well, that's what I've been told anyway.

View Post

Interesting. eusa_think.gif Do you know of any specific brands I should look out for?