Glycemic Index

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Shjaker_*

Guest_Shjaker_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 10 March 2005 - 03:42 PM

Just a little post about the GI for fruits.

High = 60+
Medium = 40-59
Low = 20-39
Very low = 19 or under

Cherries 22
Grapefruit 25
Plums 24-39
Banana (unripe) 30
Strawberries 32
Pear 36
Apples 37
Peach 42
Orange 44
Grapes 43-52
Banana 53-62

That is just a general list of some typical fruit we eat, most are of the lower GI ranking. smile.gif I found it very helpful when grocery shopping. Also, here is a tidbit about the taking in of GIness:
It is better to eat foods low in the GI index BEFORE you exercise, since excerise is more about endurance and you want to last. You dont want a sugar surge. Its like when people eat chocolate and they get really hyper, then all the sudden they're tired. It's better to eat high GI index foods AFTER you exercise, since you're weared out and want that bit of energy to kick you up again.

If any corrections are needed, feel free to do so. biggrin.gif Im no expert.

#2 arya

arya

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2005 - 06:18 PM

hey there, good to know!! I'm gonna have to take this list along when I go shopping!! biggrin.gif
oh and did you get my pm about gluten free foods? just wondering.

#3 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2005 - 07:20 PM

For foods that don't have around the same amount of carbs that was used in testing the GI or foods that aren't around that amount in a serving, the GI is worthless.

What you want is the GL= the load is much more accurate than the index.

Eg. Look up the GI of carrots. Now look up the GL. Pretty big difference huh?

Next time you go shopping take a GL list with you instead.

#4 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE(blackbirdbeatle @ Mar 10 2005, 08:20 PM)
For foods that don't have around the same amount of carbs that was used in testing the GI or foods that aren't around that amount in a serving, the GI is worthless.

What you want is the GL= the load is much more accurate than the index.

Eg. Look up the GI of carrots. Now look up the GL. Pretty big difference huh?

Next time you go shopping take a GL list with you instead.

View Post

Here's more about glycemic load.

Carbohydrates that contribute to acne are typically carbohydrates with a high glycemic load. Although most of you have probably heard of the glycemic index (the ability of a food to acutely raise the blood sugar), many are unfamiliar with the glycemic load, which is simply the glycemic index of a food multiplied by the carbohydrate content in a given amount of the food. The glycemic load of a food is more closely related to the net insulin response over a 24-hr period than is the simple glycemic index. Consequently, it is the glycemic load that may predispose us to obesity and chronic disease. (acne being one of the diseases)

Although watermelon has a high glycemic index (72) similar to white bread (70), it has a glycemic load (per 100 grams of watermelon) that is only 5.2 compared to a glycemic load in white bread of 34.7. The International Table of Glycemic Indices lists the glycemic index of 11 fruits. The glycemic loads (per 100 grams of food) of these 11 fruits are as follows: bananas 12.1, pineapple 8.2, grapes 7.7, kiwi fruit 7.4, apple 6.0, pear 5.4, watermelon 5.2, orange 5.1, cherries 3.7, peach 3.1, grapefruit 1.9. Consequently one would have to eat 6.7 times as much watermelon as white bread to achieve an equivalent glycemic load. Let's say you ate 4 slices of white bread (or 100 grams, ~ 1/4 lb). In order to get an equivalent glycemic load, you would have to eat almost 1.5 lbs of watermelon or 4 lbs of grapefruit.

Dried fruits are not only concentrated calorie sources, they also represent high glycemic loads and may contribute too acne, if eaten in unlimited quantities. Limit those, but still far better than cookies!

That is why it is much better to have carrots, watermelon, even raisins than white bread and other refined products. Sugar of course being the worst. This is the basis behind the diet/acne connection. There are doubters for sure, but just try it and see if it helps. Others may also need to watch dairy, for them it may pose a problem. Combining the two - dairy and sugars can be a disaster for some. Thanks for reading.

#5 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2005 - 04:01 PM

Be careful when you define refined though. As all bread are refined but whole grain breads actually have a lower GL than those fruits. They also have more fiber and have a similar comparison in terms of nutrition. Like others have said, it may be the gluten that they can't handle, which doesn't make bread any less healthy, just that some people can't processes it right.

#6 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 11 March 2005 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE(blackbirdbeatle @ Mar 11 2005, 05:01 PM)
Be careful when you define refined though. As all bread are refined but whole grain breads actually have a lower GL than those fruits. They also have more fiber and have a similar comparison in terms of nutrition. Like others have said, it may be the gluten that they can't handle, which doesn't make bread any less healthy, just that some people can't processes it right.

View Post

I mean refined as in hamburger buns, hot dog buns, Holsum Bread, "whole wheat" that isn't whole grain bread, tortillas, chips, cookies, cakes, granola bars. Certainly sprouted grain bread, Sugar Buster's Multigrain loaf and others of similar character are good choices. I would still stear clear of grains for a month - just lean proteins, veggies galore, and fruits. Stopping wheat, sugars, grains and dairy for one month solid will give many people's digestive system a rest and will allow those who are sensitive to find out what they are sensitive to by gradually adding some things back.

#7 Blo0dCrIeSZ

Blo0dCrIeSZ

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE(Minnym0use @ Mar 11 2005, 10:28 PM)
I mean refined as in hamburger buns, hot dog buns, Holsum Bread, "whole wheat" that isn't whole grain bread, tortillas, chips, cookies, cakes, granola bars.  Certainly sprouted grain bread, Sugar Buster's Multigrain loaf and others of similar character are good choices.  I would still stear clear of grains for a month - just lean proteins, veggies galore, and fruits.  Stopping wheat, sugars, grains and dairy for one month solid will give many people's digestive system a rest and will allow those who are sensitive to find out what they are sensitive to by gradually adding some things back.

View Post

I am a vegan, and must eat beans and brown rice to get protein. Is this fine? Also soy milk...
Thank you wub.gif

#8 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE(bloodcries @ Mar 12 2005, 07:02 PM)
I am a vegan, and must eat beans and brown rice to get protein.  Is this fine?  Also soy milk...
Thank you  wub.gif

View Post

Absolutely, beans & rice, green beans & almonds are great ways to get a complete protein. I eat rice maybe... 2 - 4x a week and it's not a problem for me. I used to always eat white rice, but finally converted over to brown rice as it's healthier, but physically haven't noticed a difference. Interesteing, I've actually learned to enjoy the taste of whole grain rice varieties now over white. So now the only time I get white rice is the asian fried rice types, unless they offer a brown rice. There are definately some grains that people can consume, but if you choose not to eat wheat, than you can't have seitan either, OK. As for soy milk.....they have added sugar, but if you aren't sensitive to small amounts or to soy, it shouldn't be a problem. If you are to sugars, WestSoy makes unsweetened versions. Oh and if you can handle almonds grab the Pacifica Brand, it is way better than soy in my opinion.

http://www.westsoy.b...cts/organic.php

#9 Melchior

Melchior

I'm naoya_socol's #1 fan!!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE(SweetJade1980 @ Mar 12 2005, 08:46 PM)
Absolutely, beans & rice, green beans & almonds are great ways to get a complete protein.  I eat rice maybe... 2 - 4x a week and it's not a problem for me.  I used to always eat white rice, but finally converted over to brown rice as it's healthier, but physically haven't noticed a difference.  Interesteing, I've actually learned to enjoy the taste of whole grain rice varieties now over white. So now the only time I get white rice is the asian fried rice types, unless they offer a brown rice. There are definately some grains that people can consume, but if you choose not to eat wheat, than you can't have seitan either, OK.  As for soy milk.....they have added sugar, but if you aren't sensitive to small amounts or to soy, it shouldn't be a problem.  If you are to sugars, WestSoy makes unsweetened versions.  Oh and if you can handle almonds grab the Pacifica Brand, it is way better than soy in my opinion.

View Post

You are very knowledgable about these subjects, you really deserve a lot of respect and praise for your contributions here in these forums. biggrin.gif

#10 Blo0dCrIeSZ

Blo0dCrIeSZ

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2005 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE(SweetJade1980 @ Mar 13 2005, 02:46 AM)
Absolutely, beans & rice, green beans & almonds are great ways to get a complete protein.  I eat rice maybe... 2 - 4x a week and it's not a problem for me.  I used to always eat white rice, but finally converted over to brown rice as it's healthier, but physically haven't noticed a difference.  Interesteing, I've actually learned to enjoy the taste of whole grain rice varieties now over white. So now the only time I get white rice is the asian fried rice types, unless they offer a brown rice. There are definately some grains that people can consume, but if you choose not to eat wheat, than you can't have seitan either, OK.  As for soy milk.....they have added sugar, but if you aren't sensitive to small amounts or to soy, it shouldn't be a problem.  If you are to sugars, WestSoy makes unsweetened versions.  Oh and if you can handle almonds grab the Pacifica Brand, it is way better than soy in my opinion.

View Post

Wow thank you, you are a god. I may just have a glass of soy milk like 3 times a week then. And can someone tell me if tofu lite it ok. it is just a cut fat tofu. I have tried searching, but all I see is dessert tofu. Thank you again!