Potatoes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Shjaker_*

Guest_Shjaker_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 10 March 2005 - 02:07 PM

I've read that potatoes can irritate acne, and this is giving me a stroke because mashed potatoes are one of my favourite foods.

Has it been found that the majority of people are over-irritated from this simple.. white.. delicious.. vegetable? Also, what about sweet potatoes? Orange/yellow vegetables are seemingly very good.

#2 Darklord

Darklord

Chances are, i hate you

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2005 - 02:15 PM

All i know is that potatoas are high in gluten, so i avoid them. I would also like to know if sweet potatos are ok.

Tom

#3 Guest_Shjaker_*

Guest_Shjaker_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 10 March 2005 - 02:22 PM

Awww mannn.. gluten cry.gif My new enemy.
At least I still have squash, which I love just as much, if not more biggrin.gif And it's a nice orange colour too!

#4 olive415

olive415

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2005 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE(Shjaker @ Mar 10 2005, 03:07 PM)
I've read that potatoes can irritate acne, and this is giving me a stroke because mashed potatoes are one of my favourite foods.

Has it been found that the majority of people are over-irritated from this simple.. white.. delicious.. vegetable? Also, what about sweet potatoes? Orange/yellow vegetables are seemingly very good.

View Post

I think if you are sugar sensitive then maybe potatos would be a problem, but they all differ in their starchiness. Red potatos have lower GI than regular baking potatos as do yokon golds.

As for sweet potatos, I think that they are in a totoal difference category than regular potatos. Sweet potatos are a lot more fiberous. Sweet potatos are awesome for you.

#5 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2005 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(WindWaker* @ Mar 10 2005, 01:15 PM)
All i know is that potatoas are high in gluten, so i avoid them. I would also like to know if sweet potatos are ok.

Tom

View Post

Are they? That's news to me.

I'm pretty sure potatoes have no gluten but they do have a high glycemic index. Whether or not this causes acne for you is something you'll have to test for yourself.

#6 flim flam

flim flam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2005 - 05:13 PM

Yeah, sweet potatoes are good for you - regular potatoes are liable to cause acne though because they're high on the GI scale. It does depend how they're cooked - baked potatoes are the worst.

#7 Guest_Shjaker_*

Guest_Shjaker_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 10 March 2005 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE(flim flam @ Mar 10 2005, 07:13 PM)
Yeah, sweet potatoes are good for you - regular potatoes are liable to cause acne though because they're high on the GI scale. It does depend how they're cooked - baked potatoes are the worst.

View Post

May I ask how bad mashed potatoes are? They were my favourite food along side squash lol

#8 Minnym0use

Minnym0use

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2005 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE(flim flam @ Mar 10 2005, 06:13 PM)

View Post

Everything you post is so full of insight and right on the money. How did you come to learn so much?

#9 olive415

olive415

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2005 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE(Shjaker @ Mar 10 2005, 06:33 PM)
May I ask how bad mashed potatoes are?

View Post

First I will say that I don't think that potatos are bad for you, especially if you leave the skins on. Not all carbs are bad, they aren't super refined like white bread. You're brain prefers glucose to operate efficently so you need some carbs. If you have sugar sensitivity though and think that it affects your acne then lower GI potatos like red new potatos are less of a problem. They make great mashed potatos too.