Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

arya

where to find gluten free bread

18 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

I was wondering, where could I find gluten free bread? I live in Vancouver, Canada, so any Canadians know? I'm really trying to do everything possible to help with my acne... would any of you know? Thanks! biggrin.gif

Arya

Hi Arya,

There is a thread somewhere by Sweetjade where she lists some gluten-free bread companies. I'm sure that in Vancouver though, you could find it at a health food store. It is usually expensive though, like $5 a loaf.

My regimen:

Eat regularly: a wide variety of vegetables, eggs, meat/fish, cheese, yogurt, butter, fruit, nuts/seeds.

Occasionally eat: beans, squash, potatoes.

Don't eat: sugar, grains, most processed food.

Yup there is a rather long list posted around here somewhere, but here's some links for ya:

http://www.celiac.ca/

http://www.dialadietitian.org/nutrition/DA...oducts1303.html

http://www.sfu.ca/~jfremont/celiacsuppliers.html

Also my fav. if you aren't avoiding dairy and/or trans fats is http://www.kinnikinnick.com/ they are in Canada but I don't know where.

Best of luck!

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

* Strengthen/Repair GI - Immune health

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

Could someone tell me a little about this whole "bread" epidemic thing.

Why is bread irritating for acne?

What is gluten? Why is it bad?

Why is gluten-free bread good?

Thanks!

Most gluten-free breads are actually more likely to cause acne than wheat-based bread, because they're full of harmful additives/preservatives and are made from stuff like rice flour which is just as unhealthy as wheat.

Most gluten-free breads are actually more likely to cause acne than wheat-based bread, because they're full of harmful additives/preservatives and are made from stuff like rice flour which is just as unhealthy as wheat.

How is that??  eusa_eh.gif I'd think the processed, refined wheat products (the ones that are normally found in stores/supermarkets) would be a LOT more harmful than the gluten free ones....doesn't really make sense to me....

My regimen:

Eat regularly: a wide variety of vegetables, eggs, meat/fish, cheese, yogurt, butter, fruit, nuts/seeds.

Occasionally eat: beans, squash, potatoes.

Don't eat: sugar, grains, most processed food.

Hi folks,

I was wondering, where could I find gluten free bread? I live in Vancouver, Canada, so any Canadians know? I'm really trying to do everything possible to help with my acne... would any of you know? Thanks!  biggrin.gif

Arya

If Canada is anything like the UK, mosts supermarkets have a "free-from" section, which has things like gluten-free breads and cereals and dairy-free milks etc.

in the calgary area safeways, sobes, and co-ops they have those sections(Alternative milks, breads, etc... they even have 2 isles here dedicated to natural foods at the safeway). They also have those breads at most natural foods markets and at specialty stores. Unless you live in a rural area I don't see how these things would be a problem to find.

in the calgary area safeways, sobes, and co-ops they have those section(Alternative milks, breads, etc... they even have 2 isles here dedicated to natural foods at the safeway). They also have those breads at most natural foods markets and at specialty stores. Unless you live in a rural area I don't see how these things would be a problem to find.

Here:

http://www.pannerizo.com/

http://www.quejos.com/

http://www.labaguettebakery.com/catalogue....bcategory=6(Not gluten free but bread how they used to make it hundreds of years ago. Decent prices and the breads look sooooo damn good to eat.)

Also save on foods, choices markets, and overwaitea carry gluten free products. Are they near you?

In Richmond they have a store(Very large selection albiet expensive):

www.liv-n-well.com

I can't believe that it's that hard to find the stuff in Vancouver. We even have a huge bakery that specializes in only allergy free breads, pasteries, etc....

Here's the link. It's in all Calgary Co-Op stores and maybe if Vancouver has the Co-Op stores they ship there as well. It's worth a look becuase the gluten free bread here is a third of the price of these other links I gave you.

http://members.shaw.ca/organicbaking/index.htm

All those stores have physical addresses so look it up and see if they're close to you.

wow, thanks very much for those links! biggrin.gif actually, i'm sure you can find it in vancouver. I was actually just talking about safeway (but I guess even there you can find gluten-free stuff. I'll have to check out the bigger one). Thank you again! Will definitely have to check them out! biggrin.gif

It looks like your problem is that the specific store you go to is one of the smaller ones. We have that around here too. Every main area of the city has a large supermarket, and every neighborhood has a smaller supermarket. The selection at the smaller supermarkets usually suck.

99.5% Clear (skin gets 'congested' PMS week, but no actual breakouts)

---------------------------

Fragrance-Free Baby Wipes + a few drops Rimmel Makeup Remover solution

3/4 AHA Toner* & 1/4 Glycerin (cotton pad) -- good toner, moisturizer, and makeup base (use less glycerin if not under makeup)

Occasional Treatments (2-3x/week): Exfoliating bp wash* in shower, 2.5% bp lotion* at night

CoverGirl TruBlend Powder Foundation

* = Klear Action Kit (Pro-Activ knockoff)

Gluten-free diet (for non-acne reasons, but it seems to have cleared my acne)

It looks like your problem is that the specific store you go to is one of the smaller ones. We have that around here too. Every main area of the city has a large supermarket, and every neighborhood has a smaller supermarket. The selection at the smaller supermarkets usually suck.