vitamin vitamins

4 replies to this topic

#1 Hatin'It

Hatin'It

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2005 - 06:37 PM

I was readign about vitamins and came across a section saying that PABA helps treat skin blemishes.Has anyone else know anything abotu this? It also says it helps restore colour 2 grey hair. I always though PABA was bad so I've always stayed clear of it.

#2 19yochickfightingacne4toolong

19yochickfightingacne4toolong

Sexiest Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2005 - 08:37 PM

I have also always heard the PABA was bad. Thats why all the products with spf say PABA-free.....like its a disease or something.

What products out there even contain PABA in the first place??

I don't think its pore-clogging??? I think I have heard that it absorbs UVB rays. So maybe its just bad if you wear it out in the sun???

#3 Hatin'It

Hatin'It

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2005 - 09:23 PM

And what medications 4 acne don't say not 2 go in the sun...pretty well all of them do

#4 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:40 PM

PABA is not bad, although there are some people that are allergic to it (you can be allergic to anything) and I believe that's when it's a problem. I take 2g of this stuff daily and no problems. As for blemishes, well maybe it helps with that or maybe it's the folic acid I'm also taking. Oh well since PABA helps the body produce more folic acid and folic acid is supposed to help with hyperpigmentation issues it may indeed be helping after all. Anyway, before I started taking it I wondered why sunscreens would say that yet you'll find PABA in Hair, Skin, & Nail vitamins and I found that the addition of PABA would be of concern, since it's a natural sunscreen, just as a company would want to avoid most or all allergens that are in your medications and vitamins that you take. In general companies try to be sensitive to some people's needs in order to increase their consumer base, although not all foods are definately allergen free (at least they tend to label them) and so my guess is they just want to put people with PABA allergies at ease. It may be also irritating topically in general for some but, remember just because something is irritating topically doesn't mean it's irritating orally and vice versa...unless you are allergic.

Hope that helps

PABA Free - Why is this important?

Is is only important for you to use a PABA free sunscreen if you are allergic to PABA. If you are not allergic to PABA, then it makes no difference whether you use a PABA free sunscreen or not. If you are allergic to PABA and you use a sunscreen containing this ingredient, you will break out with an itchy rash which can be treated. See allergic contact dermatitis.   http://www.skinsite...._sunscreens.htm

#5 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2005 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE(SweetJade1980 @ Mar 10 2005, 12:40 AM)
I take 2g of this stuff daily and no problems.

View Post

SweetJade, I wouldn't take ANYWHERE NEAR that much on a regular basis! Over many years I've come to trust the opinion of Sheldon Saul Hendler, MD, PhD, who has written a number of popular books on health and nutrition. He says this about PABA: "I do not recommend PABA except as a topical sunscreen. Those who do take it orally should be aware that it causes nausea and diarrhea in some individuals. In addition, PABA is stored in the tissues and in continued high dosage may prove toxic to the liver. Some enthusiasts have recommended daily doses of a gram or higher; these doses could produce such adverse effects as anorexia, nausea, fever and skin rash. If for some reason you feel compelled to take PABA internally, do not take more than 30 milligrams daily in supplemental form."

Bryan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users