Photo

Topical Vitamin A?

vitamin a

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
432 replies to this topic

#421 InsanelyOily

InsanelyOily

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 July 2006 - 12:12 AM

QUOTE(superman87 @ Jun 22 2006, 08:43 PM) View Post

I had no luck with the topical vitamin a from vitamincure. I only put it on my nose which gets very oily because i was afraid of an initial breakout on the rest of my face. I tried it for about 2 months and saw absolutely no improvement in oiliness. Any suggestsions? When i applied the vitamin a it felt very greasy and never seemed to soak in. Is this normal?

I gave up after a week or so. I gave my reasoning in the "oil is ruining my life thread: "I've given up on thevitamincure.com simply because I don't like the website and lack of testimonials, lack of frequently asked questions, etc., etc. And it didn't help that it didn't reduce my oil from the get go which it suggested it would. Anyway, if I'm going to experiment, which I'm always doing, it's going to be w/ something more established. If thevitamincure.com works as well as the handful of folks say, then word should ultimately spread and the website should be able to better reflect it's success. It seems the stuff's been around since 2004. Seems like there would be much more fanfare if it worked for a lot of folks. It may be the bomb, but I'll wait for it take off before I devote months to it, in the hope that it's the bomb." (http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=97433&hl=)

Anyway, the stuff was ridiculously oily when I applied it. Virtually no apparent absorption at all. Maybe I was using too much? I figure since it's oil, it probably won't totally absorb and much of it will simply stay on the surface. I know my pillow case most likely overdosed on it cuz that's exactly where it all when when I put my head down. sad.gif

Oh well, I still wish the company had a better presentation. When all else fails I might try it again someday. Good luck!

#422 Ethanol

Ethanol

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE(InsanelyOily @ Jul 4 2006, 02:12 PM) View Post

QUOTE(superman87 @ Jun 22 2006, 08:43 PM) View Post

I had no luck with the topical vitamin a from vitamincure. I only put it on my nose which gets very oily because i was afraid of an initial breakout on the rest of my face. I tried it for about 2 months and saw absolutely no improvement in oiliness. Any suggestsions? When i applied the vitamin a it felt very greasy and never seemed to soak in. Is this normal?

I gave up after a week or so. I gave my reasoning in the "oil is ruining my life thread: "I've given up on thevitamincure.com simply because I don't like the website and lack of testimonials, lack of frequently asked questions, etc., etc. And it didn't help that it didn't reduce my oil from the get go which it suggested it would. Anyway, if I'm going to experiment, which I'm always doing, it's going to be w/ something more established. If thevitamincure.com works as well as the handful of folks say, then word should ultimately spread and the website should be able to better reflect it's success. It seems the stuff's been around since 2004. Seems like there would be much more fanfare if it worked for a lot of folks. It may be the bomb, but I'll wait for it take off before I devote months to it, in the hope that it's the bomb." (http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=97433&hl=)

Anyway, the stuff was ridiculously oily when I applied it. Virtually no apparent absorption at all. Maybe I was using too much? I figure since it's oil, it probably won't totally absorb and much of it will simply stay on the surface. I know my pillow case most likely overdosed on it cuz that's exactly where it all when when I put my head down. sad.gif

Oh well, I still wish the company had a better presentation. When all else fails I might try it again someday. Good luck!

IF you want a do it yourself at home "Vitamincure stuff" then BUY the 50,000 IU softgel capsules of AFAXIN (Manufactured by the drug company Sanofi-Synthelabo ) cut open the softgel capsules and spread it on your face.. This is the one i am using instead of the Vitamincure vitamin A. The Afaxin softgel capsules is chemically the same as the vitamin cure stuff. Take note that "Retinyl Palmitate" ( Vitamincure) and "Retinol Palmitate" (Afaxin ) is exactly the same.. Afaxin is probably better coz it is made by a well known brand..

#423 Aynon

Aynon

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:14 PM

This new stuff from thevitamincure.com ain't as greasy and penetrates alot fastr.

As for using pills if u do the calculation on how many drops in them, even the 50kIU don't come close to 30,000 per drop.

#424 Ethanol

Ethanol

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE(Aynon @ Nov 23 2006, 02:14 AM) View Post

This new stuff from thevitamincure.com ain't as greasy and penetrates alot fastr.

As for using pills if u do the calculation on how many drops in them, even the 50kIU don't come close to 30,000 per drop.

Sanofi Synthelabo's AFAXIN brand softgel capsules specially the 50,000 IU version is actually 50-90% of the strength of the Vitamincure brand. IF you take the guts of the AFAXIN softgel capsule it is about 1 or 2 drops.
By experimentation and empirical method of measurements that i have done. The over the counter vitamin A softgel capsule AFAXIN have the about the same strength as Vitamincure.

IF you guys want the "BIG GUN" of Topical Vitamin A. Get the "RETINYL ACETATE" not the PALMITATE or oil soluble version. "RETINYL ACETATE" is water solube and is not greasy, absorbs faster and takes effect faster than the vitamincure stuff.. The only problem is, you can only get it on lab supplies, it cost 2X to 10X as much and it is more irritating than the retinyl palmitate but far less irritating than Retin-A.. If you are not getting any results from Retinyl Palmitate like the Vitamincure brand. Then SHIFT to RETINYL ACETATE this stuff is like an ARTILLERY for Acne or something hehehehe.. In some studies Retinyl Acetate is found to be even more effective than Tretinoin/Retin-A a.k.a Retinoic Acid. Let me know of your result guys if you also try RETINYL ACETATE or RETINOL ACETATE.

HERE IS THE ARTICLE ABOUT RETINYL ACETATE
from http://www.plasticsu...sp?ArticleID=29

"Vitamin A esters are milder on skin, still active and more easily tolerated There are numerous esters of vitamin A (e.g.retinyl proprionate, retinyl linoleate) but the most commonly used are retinyl palmitate and retinyl acetate. Retinyl acetate is a smaller and more active ester! Both of these esters are cheaper than efinit and retinoic acid and are significantly more stable. This ensures that compounded products maintain the targeted levels of vitamin A for longer. Research work has shown that retinyl acetate is at least as, or even more effective (relatively) than retinoic acid 23 possibly because it penetrates the epidermis more efficiently than retinoic acid. The importance of these particular “cosmetic” retinoid esters is that they give much the same results as the pharmaceutical form retinoic acid, but are much less irritant on skin and hence patients are more likely to use them regularly. Interestingly enough, the proponents of retinoic acid have also shown evidence that lower doses of vitamin A acid in the long run have similar effects to maximum levels but of course have fewer side effect"

#425 iceman21

iceman21

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 November 2006 - 06:19 PM

I once tried putting just regular vitamin A topically on my face and it made me break out extremely bad! dont do it, it was one of the worst days of my life. It could have been because the vitamin A capsule I took was cod liver oil ewwwww. And yeah, you can OD and die on vitamin A so dont take too much!

#426 Ethanol

Ethanol

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE(iceman21 @ Nov 26 2006, 08:19 AM) View Post

I once tried putting just regular vitamin A topically on my face and it made me break out extremely bad! dont do it, it was one of the worst days of my life. It could have been because the vitamin A capsule I took was cod liver oil ewwwww. And yeah, you can OD and die on vitamin A so dont take too much!

If you took the reqular 5,000 to 10,000 IU vitamin A softgel capsules, you would definitely break out coz they are based on cod-liver oil and they smell kinda fishy too. You should use the Sanofi-Sythelabo "AFAXIN brand" 50,000 IU on your face coz it is based on a different oil base formula. You can only OD and die on Vitamin A if you take it orally, if you apply it topically then there is no danger about it.

Like i said if you are going to apply Topical Vitamin A, better get the "RETINYL ACETATE" or "RETINOL ACETATE" version as they work faster and would never cause you to break out coz they are water based as well as water soluble version of vitamin A. It is even 10X better than the VItamincure brand but they are sure hell hard to find and alot more expensive. But hey if you want results then you should pay for it.

#427 CursedSkin

CursedSkin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:59 AM

topical vitamin a brought out one of the worst breakouts of my life. avoid this shit like the plague.

#428 The Great Reizo

The Great Reizo

Andrew...The Android!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2007 - 04:07 PM

I just wanna ask you guys a few things...I took retin A my stupid ass dermatologist for another treatment and retin a just erupted my face and now im treating scarring that is mild...I would like to try this vitamin A cure topical since it's ive heard it gets good results...but tell me is it gonna cause the side effects that retin A did? I'm thinkin about getting a 15 percent TCA peel for my pigmented acne scars let me know!

#429 Ethanol

Ethanol

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 October 2007 - 12:15 AM

Hey guys. Just an update on Topical Vitamin-A. for me sebum production is a bit lower than before but it did not completely suppress oil production but at leas i have fewer breakouts now smile.gif.. the only thing that i could possibly swear 100% is that topical vitamin-A does really makes the skin softer and has a more refined appearance. Keep testing guys.. By the way i've found another person testing topical vitamin-A and topical beta-carotene check this out. This guy has some interesting stuffs too.. This guy is using Afaxin vitamin-A capsules as i have suggested before.

http://diyacnecare.blogspot.com/

#430 AlexAmore

AlexAmore

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:04 PM

I want to try this out. I have body acne on my chest, arms, back, neck, shoulders, and of course my face.

So I found Retinyl Acetate here:
http://www.skinactiv....aspx?prodID=86

It says to put it into a cream or lotion. What would be a good cream or lotion? Remember it's going all over my body but money is no object with acne either.

Thanks.

#431 Isabella100

Isabella100

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:04 AM

hmm, so this really works not only to cut down on oil but pretty much stop it altogether? awesome. i was iffy about taking vitamin a supplements but i don't see how a topical application would get to your liver. would it be safe to do the topical and also take a vitamin a supplement, do you think?

#432 Reti

Reti

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:14 PM

It's hard to kill yourself with too much oral Vitamin A without really trying hard by injecting, eating or drinking something bizarre, but at sufficiently high doses over long enough it can cause adverse health effects. It's definitely something that can dry out your skin and reduce acne, as it was often recommended by derms long before Retin-A and Accutane ever came out. A dozen small gel pills a day over the course of months or years will likely weaken leg bones, harden ligaments & tendons in the feet, stress the liver, and produce headaches. Similar to the effects of isotrentinoin.

It seems to be a myth that some acne treatments will first directly make you worse before they make you better because they're "bringing out" the acne that was underneath. Accutane appears to do that indirectly because people stop doing their normal routine when they begin.

In my experience, mineral oil and petroleum jelly are less pore-clogging than jojoba oil, olive oil, cocoa butter, and a lot of the "natural oils" people say are noncomedogenic. Vitamin A topicals isn't a bad idea, it's just a bad base it's in. There are also creams and gels they could probably suspend the retinyl palmitate in, too. They could just be using strait retinol or one of other non-prescription As. Most A products, though, are way too weak or contain SAL acid or BP in it that de-activates the A.

Edited by Reti, 05 April 2011 - 05:20 PM.

#433 Ichance23

Ichance23

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

thanks wally! i am not going to put vitamin a on my skin but i will start juicing dem carrots up as obama would say. i will juice up dem carrots and put it on my face. i have only done this once in my life and it made my face look really orange. i will stick with it for 2 months and see if it works because honestly i have nothing else to use right now topically and this makes sense since its like retinol. if i purge tonight then i know its gonna work!