Photo

Got Milk?

milk

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 Joel

Joel

coke zero = win

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:15 PM

Study Slams Milk's Healthy Bones Reputation

http://www.halifaxli...05_102933.shtml

I'm not sure why this caught my attention, but some of you here may be interested since you "miss" drinking Milk. You're not missing that much, I guess.

[sig-img:479]

#2 Melchior

Melchior

I'm naoya_socol's #1 fan!!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:40 PM

I agree. This I knew about for a while, it's funny isn't it? There's plenty of reasons for not drinking milk, especially a cow's milk, and not many reasons to support it either.

It's a shame cheese tastes so good. sad.gif

#3 Joel

Joel

coke zero = win

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:43 PM

Oh, yeah, I love cheese though...

[sig-img:479]

#4 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE(Melchior @ Mar 8 2005, 12:17 AM)
Actually there are many reasons to avoid dairy.. read half the threads in this forum.  lol.gif

View Post

Actually, the only reason to avoid milk or milk products (I personally dislike the use of the word "dairy" in this context) is if you have a sensitivity of some sort to them, like lactose intolerance or an allergy. Otherwise, milk is an outstandingly good and nutritious food! Don't let the anti-milk food faddists tell you otherwise! wink.gif

Bryan

#5 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2005 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE(bryan @ Mar 8 2005, 05:01 AM)
Actually, the only reason to avoid milk or milk products (I personally dislike the use of the word "dairy" in this context) is if you have a sensitivity of some sort to them, like lactose intolerance or an allergy.  Otherwise, milk is an outstandingly good and nutritious food!  Don't let the anti-milk food faddists tell you otherwise! wink.gif

Bryan

View Post

Raw milk is, I agree. If you can get that then you'll probably ingesting one of the most nutritious foods there is. However, store bought pasteurized milk sucks.

#6 arrshixerrr

arrshixerrr

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 08 March 2005 - 12:26 PM

I had a lot of milk this weekend and guess what? I broke out all over my chest, fun fun..

#7 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2005 - 01:12 PM

My son has NEVER EVER NEVER EVER been on cow's milk one day in his life. He is almost 12 years old and we drink almond milk. He was breastfed for a year. Our dentist told us upon examining his teeth that he was 6-12 months AHEAD of bone and teeth development for someone his age.

No, milk is NOT necessary. My son is living proof as he has NEVER been on cow's milk, and does NOT eat yogurt, cheese, etc.....everyday. We do eat some cheese and some yogurt, but it's not everyday. He does take calcium.

#8 Melchior

Melchior

I'm naoya_socol's #1 fan!!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2005 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE(Denise2 @ Mar 8 2005, 01:12 PM)
My son has NEVER EVER NEVER EVER been on cow's milk one day in his life.  He is almost 12 years old and we drink almond milk.  He was breastfed for a year.  Our dentist told us upon examining his teeth that he was 6-12 months AHEAD of bone and teeth development for someone his age.

No, milk is NOT necessary.  My son is living proof as he has NEVER been on cow's milk, and does NOT eat yogurt, cheese, etc.....everyday.  We do eat some cheese and some yogurt, but it's not everyday.  He does take calcium.

View Post

eusa_clap.gif That's good news to hear! I'd be completely dairy free if it weren't for cheese. cry.gif

Milk has its purpose. It's good he was breastfed, that's the purpose of human milk.

Cow milk goes to cows - and even then only baby cows. Just like human milk is for human babies. That's what nature intended. biggrin.gif

So what if humans were drinking cow/goat milk for thousands of years, doesn't make it "good" for you.

#9 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2005 - 02:39 PM

No, it may not be good for you but studies have contradicted this one as well. Again, moderation in everything. Alcohol isn't good for you generally but just about every study states that men live longer when they drank 1-2 servings of beer or wine a day than those that drank lots or those that drank none at all. The French, the people of the mediteranean, the Iclandic, the Swiss, etc... all eat some form of dairy in their diets and they as a whole outlive us and are more healthy. My point being that there are other, more important factors involved in overall health than moderately consuming some substance(Exercise, mental health and outlook on life, stress, personal reslationships, etc...). If you like cheese, yougurt, milk, etc... I say consume it for it's foolish to think that you will die earlier just because you eat these things. Evidence has proven that this just isn't true and as long as you lead a generally healthy life, a glass of milk of some cheese isn't going to kill you faster.

Even though plants are great sources of calcium, many of the greens have substances that prevent calcium aborption and besides, the amount you have to eat is far more than many are willing to include in their daily diet. I for one eat tons of veggies(Equivalent to over 15 servings a day) but even after taking an inventory of all that the amount of calcium I was getting from plants was small and I don't like bok choy or broccoli enough to get in 3 cups a day. I think for many supplementation is probably best.

I would also like to point out that even if milk isn't natural the enzyme lactase that most North Americans and Europeans have if proof that our bodies have adapted to this. I'm sure if the Chinese, Africans, etc... drank more milk thier bodies would adapt as well, it's how we survive. Some of the foods we eat now(No, not processed ones) would have killed us a few hundred years ago, that's how fast we can adapt.

I don't buy into this doomsday propaganda one bit as sites like milksucks have brainwashed just as many people as those who blindly follow the adage that dairy is the best thing since sliced bread. I'm constantly surprised at how intelligent humans are, yet we are so easily influenced when we are presented with something that agrees with what we had hoped, even if the validity was fuzzy. Great health isn't some mystery(Genetics would be the the biggest mystery), the information is out there, you just have to weed through the crap.

#10 rowan

rowan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2005 - 03:01 PM

Yea, everything in moderation. I and my family love dairy. Good cheese, ice cream and yes, milk (non fat of course). We are all pretty healthy and lead a very active lifestyle. I don't think we could give up the dairy. Maybe its our strong Northern European Ancestory (swede, danish, german) its just in the blood.

#11 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2005 - 03:39 PM

Actually, the only reason to avoid milk or milk products (I personally dislike the use of the word "dairy" in this context) is if you have a sensitivity of some sort to them, like lactose intolerance or an allergy.  Otherwise, milk is an outstandingly good and nutritious food!  Don't let the anti-milk food faddists tell you otherwise! wink.gif

Bryan

View Post

Ha! Never fear, the pro-milk fascists, er faddists, have WAY more money and influence. The U.S. gov't heavily subsidizes the dairy industry. The USDA, which has substantial ties to the industry, REQUIRES that milk be served in all schools in the US.

How can a cow that gets NO pasture time, is kept perpetually pregnant (so she'll keep lactating) via the industry-dubbed "rape rack," is pumped full of artificial hormones (produced by Monsanto which also has significant gov't ties), and fed an unnatural diet POSSIBLY produce ANYTHING even closely resembling healthy? The natural lifespan for cows is 20-25 years. Cows at large conventional US dairy farms live about 5 years, and usually die of disease.
At least drink organic milk... Please.
My regimen:

Eat regularly: a wide variety of vegetables, eggs, meat/fish, cheese, yogurt, butter, fruit, nuts/seeds.

Occasionally eat: beans, squash, potatoes.

Don't eat: sugar, grains, most processed food.

#12 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2005 - 03:41 PM

eusa_clap.gif !AMEN to THAT, CJB! eusa_clap.gif

#13 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE(Melchior @ Mar 8 2005, 02:30 PM)
Cow milk goes to cows - and even then only baby cows.  Just like human milk is for human babies.  That's what nature intended.  biggrin.gif

View Post

Oh, so we're back to THAT old chestnut, are we? biggrin.gif I've already addressed and disposed of that issue in another thread. If you think drinking cow milk isn't natural, just how natural do you think eating the cow itself is? Do you ever eat beef?? wink.gif For that matter, how natural is it to eat little fishies swimming around in the ocean? When you get right down to it, how natural is it even to yank a fruit off a tree and eat it?

I hope you can see my point: leave discussions of what Nature "intended" to the philosophers, along with topics like "The Meaning of Life" and "Whither the World"! eusa_angel.gif Leave questions like whether or not people should drink milk to doctors and nutritionists. Those folks determine whether or not a food is suitable for human consumption by looking at its nutritional properties. They don't discuss the metaphysics of milk, they look at its protein, its vitamin and mineral content, etc.

So what if humans were drinking cow/goat milk for thousands of years, doesn't make it "good" for you.

You are correct: that's NOT what makes it good for you. What makes it good for you is its excellent array of protein, vitamins, and minerals! cool.gif

Bryan

#14 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE(cjb @ Mar 8 2005, 04:39 PM)
How can a cow that gets NO pasture time, is kept perpetually pregnant (so she'll keep lactating) via the industry-dubbed "rape rack," is pumped full of artificial hormones (produced by Monsanto which also has significant gov't ties), and fed an unnatural diet POSSIBLY produce ANYTHING even closely resembling healthy?  The natural lifespan for cows is 20-25 years.  Cows at large conventional US dairy farms live about 5 years, and usually die of disease.
At least drink organic milk...  Please.

View Post

I may be able to meet you half-way on the milk issue: I will acknowledge that there _may_ be issues with the way milk is mass-produced nowadays, if you will acknowledge that there is no a priori reason to attack the use of milk (well-produced milk, of course) from either a nutritional or philosophical standpoint.

Bryan

#15 BlackBetty

BlackBetty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:14 PM

Milk is for cows not for humans.

#16 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:36 PM

Milk is for cows not for humans.

Well, you've changed my mind. You're very persuasive. eusa_wall.gif

#17 rowan

rowan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2005 - 11:37 PM

O.K, yea I do feel sorry for the poor cows. Believe me. I have seen the poor cows on the dairy farm and its horrible. But this whole world can seem pretty horrible if you really think about it. One thing we can do though is to be nice and respectful to one another. biggrin.gif

#18 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2005 - 02:00 AM

I sure hope that everyone that doesn't advocate dairy doesn't all of a sudden approve of goats milk. Man would that be hypocritical.

#19 flim flam

flim flam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2005 - 08:13 AM

Aaargh that's completely not the case!

Milk is chock-full of hormones and toxins, and is barely even digestible...cow's milk is designed for young calves who need to put on huge amounts of bodyweight very quickly, it's not intended for humans at all. Drinking milk is about as healthy as drinking glue...it's seriously damaging for your overall health as well as being a great source of acne.

#20 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2005 - 08:49 AM

Oh, so we're back to THAT old chestnut, are we? biggrin.gif I've already addressed and disposed of that issue in another thread. If you think drinking cow milk isn't natural, just how natural do you think eating the cow itself is? Do you ever eat beef?? wink.gif For that matter, how natural is it to eat little fishies swimming around in the ocean? When you get right down to it, how natural is it even to yank a fruit off a tree and eat it?

That comparison isn't valid at all. Cow's Milk is designed to be fed to baby cows. I don't see any baby trees needing fruit, or baby hanibal fishes. Those other things don't serve a specific purpose as Cow's milk does so it's more realistic that we eat them. After all, you don't see a Hyena walking up to a Lioness just to suck on it's nipples for nourishment. It's the same for us.