Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joel

Got Milk?

32 posts in this topic

Study Slams Milk's Healthy Bones Reputation

http://www.halifaxlive.com/artman/publish/...05_102933.shtml

I'm not sure why this caught my attention, but some of you here may be interested since you "miss" drinking Milk. You're not missing that much, I guess.

[sig-img:479]

I agree. This I knew about for a while, it's funny isn't it? There's plenty of reasons for not drinking milk, especially a cow's milk, and not many reasons to support it either.

It's a shame cheese tastes so good. sad.gif

Oh, yeah, I love cheese though...

[sig-img:479]

Actually there are many reasons to avoid dairy.. read half the threads in this forum.  lol.gif

Actually, the only reason to avoid milk or milk products (I personally dislike the use of the word "dairy" in this context) is if you have a sensitivity of some sort to them, like lactose intolerance or an allergy.  Otherwise, milk is an outstandingly good and nutritious food!  Don't let the anti-milk food faddists tell you otherwise! wink.gif

Bryan

My son has NEVER EVER NEVER EVER been on cow's milk one day in his life. He is almost 12 years old and we drink almond milk. He was breastfed for a year. Our dentist told us upon examining his teeth that he was 6-12 months AHEAD of bone and teeth development for someone his age.

No, milk is NOT necessary. My son is living proof as he has NEVER been on cow's milk, and does NOT eat yogurt, cheese, etc.....everyday. We do eat some cheese and some yogurt, but it's not everyday. He does take calcium.

My son has NEVER EVER NEVER EVER been on cow's milk one day in his life.  He is almost 12 years old and we drink almond milk.  He was breastfed for a year.  Our dentist told us upon examining his teeth that he was 6-12 months AHEAD of bone and teeth development for someone his age.

No, milk is NOT necessary.  My son is living proof as he has NEVER been on cow's milk, and does NOT eat yogurt, cheese, etc.....everyday.  We do eat some cheese and some yogurt, but it's not everyday.  He does take calcium.

No, it may not be good for you but studies have contradicted this one as well. Again, moderation in everything. Alcohol isn't good for you generally but just about every study states that men live longer when they drank 1-2 servings of beer or wine a day than those that drank lots or those that drank none at all. The French, the people of the mediteranean, the Iclandic, the Swiss, etc... all eat some form of dairy in their diets and they as a whole outlive us and are more healthy. My point being that there are other, more important factors involved in overall health than moderately consuming some substance(Exercise, mental health and outlook on life, stress, personal reslationships, etc...). If you like cheese, yougurt, milk, etc... I say consume it for it's foolish to think that you will die earlier just because you eat these things. Evidence has proven that this just isn't true and as long as you lead a generally healthy life, a glass of milk of some cheese isn't going to kill you faster.

Even though plants are great sources of calcium, many of the greens have substances that prevent calcium aborption and besides, the amount you have to eat is far more than many are willing to include in their daily diet. I for one eat tons of veggies(Equivalent to over 15 servings a day) but even after taking an inventory of all that the amount of calcium I was getting from plants was small and I don't like bok choy or broccoli enough to get in 3 cups a day. I think for many supplementation is probably best.

I would also like to point out that even if milk isn't natural the enzyme lactase that most North Americans and Europeans have if proof that our bodies have adapted to this. I'm sure if the Chinese, Africans, etc... drank more milk thier bodies would adapt as well, it's how we survive. Some of the foods we eat now(No, not processed ones) would have killed us a few hundred years ago, that's how fast we can adapt.

I don't buy into this doomsday propaganda one bit as sites like milksucks have brainwashed just as many people as those who blindly follow the adage that dairy is the best thing since sliced bread. I'm constantly surprised at how intelligent humans are, yet we are so easily influenced when we are presented with something that agrees with what we had hoped, even if the validity was fuzzy. Great health isn't some mystery(Genetics would be the the biggest mystery), the information is out there, you just have to weed through the crap.

Yea, everything in moderation. I and my family love dairy. Good cheese, ice cream and yes, milk (non fat of course). We are all pretty healthy and lead a very active lifestyle. I don't think we could give up the dairy. Maybe its our strong Northern European Ancestory (swede, danish, german) its just in the blood.

Actually, the only reason to avoid milk or milk products (I personally dislike the use of the word "dairy" in this context) is if you have a sensitivity of some sort to them, like lactose intolerance or an allergy.  Otherwise, milk is an outstandingly good and nutritious food!  Don't let the anti-milk food faddists tell you otherwise! wink.gif

Bryan

My regimen:

Eat regularly: a wide variety of vegetables, eggs, meat/fish, cheese, yogurt, butter, fruit, nuts/seeds.

Occasionally eat: beans, squash, potatoes.

Don't eat: sugar, grains, most processed food.

How can a cow that gets NO pasture time, is kept perpetually pregnant (so she'll keep lactating) via the industry-dubbed "rape rack," is pumped full of artificial hormones (produced by Monsanto which also has significant gov't ties), and fed an unnatural diet POSSIBLY produce ANYTHING even closely resembling healthy?  The natural lifespan for cows is 20-25 years.  Cows at large conventional US dairy farms live about 5 years, and usually die of disease.

At least drink organic milk...  Please.

O.K, yea I do feel sorry for the poor cows. Believe me. I have seen the poor cows on the dairy farm and its horrible. But this whole world can seem pretty horrible if you really think about it. One thing we can do though is to be nice and respectful to one another. biggrin.gif

Oh, so we're back to THAT old chestnut, are we? biggrin.gif I've already addressed and disposed of that issue in another thread. If you think drinking cow milk isn't natural, just how natural do you think eating the cow itself is? Do you ever eat beef?? wink.gif For that matter, how natural is it to eat little fishies swimming around in the ocean? When you get right down to it, how natural is it even to yank a fruit off a tree and eat it?

That comparison isn't valid at all. Cow's Milk is designed to be fed to baby cows. I don't see any baby trees needing fruit, or baby hanibal fishes. Those other things don't serve a specific purpose as Cow's milk does so it's more realistic that we eat them. After all, you don't see a Hyena walking up to a Lioness just to suck on it's nipples for nourishment. It's the same for us.

That comparison isn't valid at all. Cow's Milk is designed to be fed to baby cows. I don't see any baby trees needing fruit, or baby hanibal fishes. Those other things don't serve a specific purpose as Cow's milk does so it's more realistic that we eat them.

Kittens have been known to feed off of dogs milk. Same with various banyard animals. Besides the fact that this happens all the time(Happened at my aunts ranch when some kittens were abandoned and the dog fed them until they were old enough), its on the news every once in a while about some cute animal being taken care of by another species milkwise.

I didn't mean to be rude with that above comment it's just that who are you trying to convince with something as simple as cows milk is for cows wihout anythign else?

Aruing against dairy because of BGH and antibiotics isn't an attack on dairy I hope you realize, it's an attack on the practices of some suppliers in one country. There are organic alternatives in the states and most other counties don't include these things in their animals.

eusa_clap.gif Outstanding reply, blackbirdbeatle! eusa_clap.gif

I didn't even think of the obvious reply about inter-species milk drinking! wink.gif

Bryan