Photo

Cetaphil CAUSES acne

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 Novalie

Novalie

Nosce te ipsum.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2005 - 09:06 PM

I have read many many times that the ingredient "Sodium Lauryl Sulfate" is pore-clogging and therefore acne-causing. However, the cleanser Cetaphil has that listed as one of its top ingredients!! Am I missing something here? Why do so many on these boards use Cetaphil when they have active acne-prone skin?? Won't it make it worse?

#2 19yochickfightingacne4toolong

19yochickfightingacne4toolong

Sexiest Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2005 - 09:20 PM

Some ppl it works out fine for.other complain about breaking out. Its can go either way I guess. Whatever...I always tell ppl to dump the cetaphil and get Spectro jel...its very similar to it...but better!!!
Even the cetaphil for oily skin cleanser sux ass. I did not like it at all...and it never helped me.
"don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns"

#3 Calyopi

Calyopi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2005 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE(Novalie @ Mar 6 2005, 11:06 PM)
I have read many many times that the ingredient "Sodium Lauryl Sulfate" is pore-clogging and therefore acne-causing. However, the cleanser Cetaphil has that listed as one of its top ingredients!! Am I missing something here? Why do so many on these boards use Cetaphil when they have active acne-prone skin?? Won't it make it worse?

View Post

Here's what Paula Begoun says about it:

Can be derived from coconut; it is used primarily as a detergent cleansing agent. There is a great deal of misinformation about this ingredient. It is not toxic or dangerous for skin, However, it is considered to be a potent irritant, and is the standard irritancy substance used (meaning it is assumed it will net an irritated reaction) to measure and compare the irritancy potential of other ingredients.

So basically, not good for skin, but not toxic. I tried cetaphil cleanser two years ago before the cystic acne and I didn't like it, dried me out.

I use softsoap. One day I was desperate and out of everything and it was either that or dish soap and surprisingly it worked well and didn't dry me out. i probably won't use it forever but it works in the interim when I'm poor!

#4 ~TEPL0~

~TEPL0~

back from the dead

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2005 - 09:38 PM

ingredients of cetaphil antibacterial bar:

Stearic Acid , Sodium Tallowate , Water , Sodium Stearate , Sodium Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate , Sodium Cocoate , PEG-20 , Sodium Chloride , Masking Fragrance , Sodium Isethionate , Petrolatum , Sodium Isostearoyl Lactylate , Sucrose Cocoate , Titanium Dioxide , Pentasodium Pentetate , Tetrasodium Etidronate , Sodium Palm Kernelate

I don't see the stuff you're talking about

#5 19yochickfightingacne4toolong

Sexiest Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2005 - 09:54 PM

Novalie was talking about the liquid cleanser.
The Bar just isn't the same.

#6 ~TEPL0~

~TEPL0~

back from the dead

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me

Posted 06 March 2005 - 10:07 PM

the liquid sucks, my derm told me not to use it.

#7 frances

frances

This isn't Kansas, Toto

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2005 - 11:59 PM

sodium lauryl sulphate is considered irritating at concentrations above 2%. Cetaphil has about 1%. Cetaphil is a pretty decent product, but it is increasingly looking outmoded ...the cetaphil theme has been improved upon by many other manufacturers....aquanil, moisturelle etc.

#8 Melchior

Melchior

I'm naoya_socol's #1 fan!!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2005 - 04:36 AM

You guys know like 99.9% of bottle products, including any cleansers soap, shampoo, etc. contain sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate or ammonium lauryl/laureth sulfate right?

I'm guessing the vast majority of products use that because it has a purpose somewhere... it might just be a necessary evil... You know I think just walking around outside and haviing the air hit your face is irritating if you think about it, in the concentrations these ingredients come in, and joining them with all the anti-irritants, it most likely doesn't make that much of a difference. There probably has to be some kind of irritant in the product that serves a special purpose that no non-irritating product ever could.

Who knows? I'm not the expert. confused.gif

#9 Gregula

Gregula

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:53 AM

Hmmm im not sure what you guys are saying is extremly relevant.

Ive been using cetaphil for about 6 months now (i import it through a friend from america). And the whole marketing of cetaphil and its on the bottle is 'non-irritating cleanser'. I think many people who have acne, like myself, think that there is guna some wonder cleanser that will get rid of our acne.Its not guna happen, all we can do is make sure our face doesnt hurt (which i know a lot about, last year i couldnt even talk without being in excruiating pain because of my cystic acne (i was on painkillers from doctors to relieve the pain!). Cetaphil has offered me something that other cleansers havent.

It soothes my skin, it can be used as a moisteuriser, so those people that find it irritating are doing something else to their skin. It soothed my skin when i was having such tremendous pain with acne lesions all over my face nose, cheeks, chin and all round my mouth. Acne isnt pleasant but if this product is used right, then it should take the pain away. Thats what its meant to do, soothe the skin, and its is specifically made with approval of american dermatology association for people with sensitive skin, not just acne sufferers but for those with excema and psoriasis.

Anyway if you still think this product is abrasive or drying, despite this, well your entitled to your opinion. And also i think we (as acne sufferers) all pay way too much attention to ingredients and chemicals in these products. Acne has not got a universal cure, each person will have varying degrees and types of acne that will react differently to different things.

so keep experimenting and see if you can find that cure......im still looking after eight years....and two dermatologists! smile.gif

#10 19yochickfightingacne4toolong

Sexiest Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2005 - 12:48 PM

I don't know why there is a debate...

Cetaphil sux!! get spectro jel...its awesome

#11 LastStraw

LastStraw

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2005 - 01:32 AM

Cetaphil works good for me. I used to use it all the time and it doesn't irritate my skin at all.

#12 Dipthong

Dipthong

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2005 - 02:21 AM

I use Cetaphil liquid cleanser and that spf 15 moisturizer, it works fine for me and doesn't break me out.

#13 can1843211

can1843211

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2005 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE(Gregula @ Mar 7 2005, 11:53 AM)

Ive been using cetaphil for about 6 months now (i import it through a friend from america). And the whole marketing of cetaphil and its on the bottle is 'non-irritating cleanser'. I think many people who have acne, like myself, think that there is guna some wonder cleanser that will get rid of our acne.Its not guna happen, all we can do is make sure our face doesnt hurt (which i know a lot about, last year i couldnt even talk without being in excruiating pain because of my cystic acne (i was on painkillers from doctors to relieve the pain!). Cetaphil has offered me something that other cleansers havent.

It soothes my skin, it can be used as a moisteuriser, so those people that find it irritating are doing something else to their skin. It soothed my skin when i was having such tremendous pain with acne lesions all over my face nose, cheeks, chin and all round my mouth. Acne isnt pleasant but if this product is used right, then it should take the pain away. Thats what its meant to do, soothe the skin, and its is specifically made with approval of american dermatology association for people with sensitive skin, not just acne sufferers but for those with excema and psoriasis.

Anyway if you still think this product is abrasive or drying, despite this, well your entitled to your opinion. And also i think we (as acne sufferers) all pay way too much attention to ingredients and chemicals in these products. Acne has not got a universal cure, each person will have varying degrees and types of acne that will react differently to different things.

so keep experimenting and see if you can find that cure......im still looking after eight years....and two dermatologists! smile.gif

View Post

I like what you are saying. The Centiphil works best on me aspeacial the liquid. Say, I need your help can you tell me how to cure my acne. You see,; I have this oil skin that broke out couple of years ago because of hormones and genetic. I read this info at one of the bookstores in my town. Anyways, I haaving this problem where I try Dan's regimen. It works; it turns the dry dead black layer-skin into a liquid that make my face wet. I have consistantly and constantly be wiping it with a clenser like Velocity (Mary K). If I don't it drys and harden like a skin layer. In other words, it tend to clinich on my face ot bond my face and it really hard for to let the 2.5 benycin proxide CVS retail brand try to take effect to the acne. What is your suggestion? Another thing I want to my physican and Derm.

#14 can1843211

can1843211

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2005 - 07:24 AM

View Post

I like what you are saying. The Centiphil works best on me aspeacial the liquid. Say, I need your help can you tell me how to cure my acne. You see,; I have this oil skin that broke out couple of years ago because of hormones and genetic. I read this info at one of the bookstores in my town. Anyways, I haaving this problem where I try Dan's regimen. It works; it turns the dry dead black layer-skin into a liquid that make my face wet. I have consistantly and constantly be wiping it with a clenser like Velocity (Mary K). If I don't it drys and harden like a skin layer. In other words, it tend to clinich on my face ot bond my face and it really hard for to let the 2.5 benycin proxide CVS retail brand try to take effect to the acne. What is your suggestion? Another thing I want to my physican and Derm. You can also reach me at can1843211@email.com.

Edited by can1843211, 09 March 2005 - 07:26 AM.

#15 can1843211

can1843211

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2005 - 07:24 AM

View Post

I like what you are saying. The Centiphil works best on me aspeacial the liquid. Say, I need your help can you tell me how to cure my acne. You see,; I have this oil skin that broke out couple of years ago because of hormones and genetic. I read this info at one of the bookstores in my town. Anyways, I haaving this problem where I try Dan's regimen. It works; it turns the dry dead black layer-skin into a liquid that make my face wet. I have consistantly and constantly be wiping it with a clenser like Velocity (Mary K). If I don't it drys and harden like a skin layer. In other words, it tend to clinich on my face ot bond my face and it really hard for to let the 2.5 benycin proxide CVS retail brand try to take effect to the acne. What is your suggestion? Another thing I want to my physican and Derm. You can also reach me at can1843211@email.com

Edited by can1843211, 09 March 2005 - 07:27 AM.

#16 rob0t

rob0t

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2005 - 12:17 AM

i like cetaphil. i first started using it because my other cleansers were irritating my skin (drying it out, making it red, etc). it really soothes my skin & doesn't feel tight afterwards. & it hasn't broken me out.

#17 queensdawg

queensdawg

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2005 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE(Novalie @ Mar 6 2005, 08:06 PM)

View Post

that indredient is the reason why your cleanser foams.. its a foaming indredient.. its in most cleansers and shampoos.. sodium LAURETH sulfate is more harmful..

#18 Melchior

Melchior

I'm naoya_socol's #1 fan!!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE(queensdawg @ Mar 10 2005, 02:04 PM)
that indredient is the reason why your cleanser foams.. its a foaming indredient.. its in most cleansers and shampoos.. sodium LAURETH sulfate is more harmful..

View Post

How about the ammonium variants? Better or worse?

#19 nevermind

nevermind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:38 PM

cetphil does not foam

#20 arya

arya

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:02 PM

Yeah, I don't like cetaphil...but I'm currently using it, coz I got the HUGE bottle and I dont' wanna waste my money. it doesn't get rid of makeup, that's my biggest prob. but I use it after Baking soda, so it's fine that way..