Photo

Isolagen (N-Lite and Subcision) - UK treatments

subcision

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
344 replies to this topic

#41 crappyskin

crappyskin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2003 - 06:17 PM

update? :D

#42 bluerain

bluerain

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2003 - 01:08 PM

i have searced from the web about isolagen. the news so optimistic. if it works acne scars will be clear. good luck to you :D

#43 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2003 - 08:07 PM

I don't mean to be bash everyones hopes, but I would like to offer a voice of reason to the isolagen treatment.

Before that though, I wish you the best of luck Lola. I hope you have 100% success.

I have not heard any first hand experiences regarding isolagen. I have not seen any first hand pictures, or even 2nd hand pictures that show truly convincing good results (the isolagen website pictures are terrible).

I have done in depth research on isolagen and other fillers. I have been in contact with Dr. Chu's office and I have talked to some of the other top physicians in the world regarding fillers. I have also read several medical papers/presentations directed towards physicians in regards to treatment of acne scars with fillers including isolagen.

The results of the treatment of scars with isolagen will not be better than the treatment of scars with collagen. You are simply injecting collagen producing fibroblasts into the dermis. In fact, in one presentation given to doctors, it distincltly said that the results were inferior to that of collagen. This is easy to imagine since collagen injections can be targeted to a specific area without a large amount of migration.

The fibroblast migration from the sight of injection with isolagen is much higher. In fact, doctors are told to over correct by 300%. I can only assume that with this high level of migration, the fibroblasts are not producing collagen in any one specific area. Because of this, I see the long term applications of isolagen gravitating towards fighting the aging process rather than correcting acne scars (with aging comes a depletion of both the number of fibroblasts in the skin as well as their potency to produce new collagen).

Dr. Chu has stated that isolagen has increased the recommended number of injections for the treatment of acne scars from three to five. This makes me think that it has not been as effective for this application as it has been for others. Furthermore, the cells experience what is called "contact inhibtion". This is a natural occurence where cells will stop production (fibroblasts) when the density level is congruent. The tension keeping the scar down must be less than the tension exerted by natural skin. In other words, no matter how much of the isolagen is injected under "normal" skin, it will not leave a bump. This will also limit to some degree the potency of the treatment on different types of scars.

All of these factors have made me skeptical that isolagen is the miracle cure for our situation. However, I think it is the beginning to truly turning the tables on aging skin. And although I do not believe that isolagen is the ideal injectable for acne scars, I believe that injectables in general are the ideal treatment for rolling scars.

I had initially thought that I would pan out the dough for islolagen, but now I am leaning towards articoll for my rolling scars.

Once again, I only want to offer a voice of reason, I have seen everyone on this board latch onto the newest treatment only to have their hopes and money go down the drain.

Mark

#44 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2003 - 08:30 PM

Oops, I do realize I did not spell Artecoll correctly in the above post.
Mark

#45 crappyskin

crappyskin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2003 - 04:47 AM

It may not be a miracle cure but I still think that in conjunction with n-lite and subcision and in the hands of Dr. Chu is the best treatment avalible at the moment, much better than any ablative lasers in terms of effectivness and mainly side effects.

thanks for your input though, you certainly have done your homework!

--CS

#46 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2003 - 05:15 AM

I appreciate the input too Mark - I am hoping that it will all work! It's a lot of money, it's taken several months of serious saving... so fingers crossed.

#47 Lola

Lola

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2003 - 09:33 AM

Mark, thank you for your detailed information. You have certainly done a lot of research and I am sure everyone is pleased that you are sharing this with us.

I have tried several different treatments (CO2, subcision, non-ablative, etc) and fillers are a sort of last resort. I'm not expecting my scars to disappear and if I manage to get a 50% improvement with isolagen, I'll be happy. (Well, there's no turning back for me since I've paid the full amount!) Also, since I'm 45, any contribution isolagen makes to my aging features will be greatly appreciated!

I had considered artecoll but I didn't like the idea of a foreign substance in my face. I had also came across a few cases where something went wrong, in one case a doctor had to practically dig these plastic beads out of the persons face. Also, I was concerned about the long term effect e.g. what happens if I decide to have non-ablative laser or similar treatment in the future? Will the plastic beads melt and merge together? Some people have reported great results from artecoll but I guess I'm just a little nervous because it is also a relatively new treatment. If isolagen doesn't work, I'll certainly reconsider other fillers, maybe fat transfer or artecoll.

I'm a bit concerned to hear about the five injections instead of three. I am supposed to have my first injections quite soon and expect to hear from Dr Chu's office any day. I'll keep you all updated.

#48 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2003 - 04:17 PM

I'm wondering if Dr Chu will now perform 5 sets of injections?

#49 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2003 - 04:24 PM

Maya,

Here is the exerpt from the e-mail I received directly from Dr. Chu:

"Isolagen have now changed their advice about acne scarring and recommending 5 lots of injections. I would normally complete the first 3 then review after 2 months and see if further injections were needed".

Hope that helps,
Mark

#50 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 June 2003 - 04:45 AM

Mark - THANK YOU!! At least Dr Chu is going to take it all the way.

#51 AntzinPantz

AntzinPantz

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 June 2003 - 07:45 AM

I had a skin biopsy done last Thursday and will probably have my first injections in 6 weeks time. Dr Yeo examined my skin and I found his manner to be very good. I’m not expecting an amazing result, but he said that my scarring should smooth out a lot over time with the Isolagen treatment. He's already seen big improvements in his patients with acne scars. His nurse has had it done for some of her wrinkles and you could definitely see a big improvement in the wrinkles she’d had treated.

He’s also suggested I try using Obagi products to help with the texture of my skin because of having CO2 done, but I’ll wait to see how my skin looks in 6 months.

I don't believe Isolagen is a miracle cure all, but even a 40% improvement on my scars as they look now would be enough for me. I think my biggest problem is the actual quality and look of my skin following laser resurfacing rather than the scars themselves.

I'll keep you updated :D

#52 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 June 2003 - 05:17 AM

[size=24]IMPORTANT

Isolgen is no longer available on the NHS - I am only 1 of a small handful of people getting it on the NHS in the UK since Dr Chu is still conducting clinical trials.

Dr Chu's secretary phoned me today (she and Dr Chu know I moderate this board and said that Dr Chu has asked people NOT to phone his department about NHS treatments anymore as he is too over booked)

Apparently someone phoned his sec today and was extremely rude to her - and that person mentioned my name!

The ONLY way to approach his department is via your own GP and getting your GP to send a referral letter - DR Chu will only deal with a select few patients that he feels would be helpful for his clinical trials.

#53 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2003 - 11:27 AM

I was due to see Dr Chu on the 25th - the appointment has now been put back till the 30th - feeling extremely impatient!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#54 MaryTheres

MaryTheres

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2003 - 12:34 PM

How permanent is isologen suppose to be? Anyone know?

#55 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2003 - 12:45 PM

Well, the research has only been conducted for wrinkles - and I think it's been 7 years since the first injections - on the Isolagen site, it suggests that the effect is permanant and the photos suggest that the skin continues to improve over a couple of years.

For pits/scars, it;s hard to say how effective it will be as I gather the fibroblasts just go where they want to and many not work all thatwell for deep pits, but is good as an overall skin lift.

I'm going for it anyway since I am 40, so can do with a pep up.

#56 MaryTheres

MaryTheres

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2003 - 01:09 PM

wow that does sound promising... gives me hope. I suppose if the effects of my smoothbeam start disappearing in a year or so isolgen will be here in the U.S. by that time (hopefully) and i can get that...

#57 MaryTheres

MaryTheres

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2003 - 01:10 PM

Maya, can you give me the link to the isologen site? thanks!

#58 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2003 - 01:31 PM

www.isolagen.com

#59 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2003 - 03:45 PM

OK - there was a cock up with Dr Chu's office - my appointment actually is on the 25th of June - next Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait! :D

#60 crappyskin

crappyskin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2003 - 06:58 PM

am excited for you!