Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lola

Isolagen (N-Lite and Subcision) - UK treatments

345 posts in this topic

I had a skin biopsy done last Thursday and will probably have my first injections in 6 weeks time. Dr Yeo examined my skin and I found his manner to be very good. I’m not expecting an amazing result, but he said that my scarring should smooth out a lot over time with the Isolagen treatment. He's already seen big improvements in his patients with acne scars. His nurse has had it done for some of her wrinkles and you could definitely see a big improvement in the wrinkles she’d had treated.

He’s also suggested I try using Obagi products to help with the texture of my skin because of having CO2 done, but I’ll wait to see how my skin looks in 6 months.

I don't believe Isolagen is a miracle cure all, but even a 40% improvement on my scars as they look now would be enough for me. I think my biggest problem is the actual quality and look of my skin following laser resurfacing rather than the scars themselves.

I'll keep you updated :D

IMPORTANT

Isolgen is no longer available on the NHS - I am only 1 of a small handful of people getting it on the NHS in the UK since Dr Chu is still conducting clinical trials.

Dr Chu's secretary phoned me today (she and Dr Chu know I moderate this board and said that Dr Chu has asked people NOT to phone his department about NHS treatments anymore as he is too over booked)

Apparently someone phoned his sec today and was extremely rude to her - and that person mentioned my name!

The ONLY way to approach his department is via your own GP and getting your GP to send a referral letter - DR Chu will only deal with a select few patients that he feels would be helpful for his clinical trials.

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter.

EDIT: Maya is a former moderator but unfortunately no longer posts here.

I was due to see Dr Chu on the 25th - the appointment has now been put back till the 30th - feeling extremely impatient!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How permanent is isologen suppose to be? Anyone know?

"We gain strength, courage and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Well, the research has only been conducted for wrinkles - and I think it's been 7 years since the first injections - on the Isolagen site, it suggests that the effect is permanant and the photos suggest that the skin continues to improve over a couple of years.

For pits/scars, it;s hard to say how effective it will be as I gather the fibroblasts just go where they want to and many not work all thatwell for deep pits, but is good as an overall skin lift.

I'm going for it anyway since I am 40, so can do with a pep up.

wow that does sound promising... gives me hope. I suppose if the effects of my smoothbeam start disappearing in a year or so isolgen will be here in the U.S. by that time (hopefully) and i can get that...

"We gain strength, courage and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Maya, can you give me the link to the isologen site? thanks!

www.isolagen.com

OK - there was a cock up with Dr Chu's office - my appointment actually is on the 25th of June - next Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait! :D

Hey crappyskin - thanks! By the way - I saw your photos on the picture thread in the Lounge... WOW, didn't expect you to be so gorgeous :D/ :):)

Maya its only three days for your appoinment.

also sharing your all sensation

I hope it will be the real solituon. its healing time is looks like a longer.

but it is worth

how much is the total treatment?

I wish you good luck! :D

Thanks bluerain - the total treatment is £2,500 when going private.

I am getting butterflies with the excitement now.

I probably won't be here for a few days... Maya, I wish you luck! I know it will go well. Will be thinking of you. :D

~ Tamara

You cannot perceive beauty but with a serene mind.

- Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

Visit My Claravis Journal

I would talk to you about my Isolagen experience until now.

I have some acne scar on my left and right cheek. A lot of them, Ice pick and boxscar type.

Not very deep but very noticeable under some light condition.

I have done already 3 N-lite laser session with high intensity settings (3.1) on march-may 2002.

That treatment has already done a good job, with improvement on the range of 30-40%, and has made me a lot less concerned about my scar.

The good thing about N-lite was no down-time, no side effect (except for some redness which lasted about 2 hours) and the cost (about 1500 Euro).

On february I've done my Isolagen biopsy.

The entire treatment cost to me £ 2500 (about 3800 Euro) plus the cost of the plane for flying to UK at least 4 time (1 for the biopsy and 3 for the injection).

The biopsy was not painful at all, the small stitches has gone after a week.

It needed around 4 months for the first injection to be ready.

They will tell you in advance of around 15 days a period of two weeks in which you should have the injection done.

You have to tell the exact date and you cannot switch it, because when Isolagen will send your own fibroplast to your physician, it should be inject within 48 hours.

4 days ago I've done the first injection.

He applied me an anaesthetic cream (EMLA) on the cheeks and after 25 minutes he started with injections on the right side.

It hurted on that side, a lot less on the other side.

We think about the anaesthetic cream, which has done its work only on the side it has been for more time. Next time I will wait at least half an hour with the cream on before starting with the injections.

Now about the swelling and redness.

About 2 hours later then the injections I was presentable in public.

The day after I can feel some swelling touching my cheeks, but it was no noticeable to anybody else.

48 hours later I have no swelling at all.

So we are speaking of 2 hours real downtime ! Not so bad !

About the improvement I should say scar are now much less noticeable, altough it is stated that you will see the first improvement after 60 days (and so on for 2 or more years!!) I can see a big improvement right now !!!!

I'm so excited because I think it can really resolve my problem definetely... If the beginning is so good !

feel free to ask me any question

bye

Lordcoleman: Did you have subcision before n-lite and isolagen?, because from what I have read it seems to be a good idea to do so. btw, I'm very happy for you that things are going so well! - good luck for the future.

--CS

OK Guys - here's what happened.

It took me around 2.5 hours to get to Hammersmith Hospital .. no one at the dermatology reception desk could find my file (this is the NHS!!) and could not see my appointment scheduled for today! I spent a good 30 minutes calmly explaining what had been agreed ..(between Dr Chu, his secretary and myself over the phone and via emails) but I wasn't getting anywhere.... Really, I was getting very close to tears ... then I insisted that one of the nurses phoned through to Dr Chu's office to check with him which they grudgingly did.. and lo and behold!!! I was in his diary and rushed in to see him. :D

Dr Chu was very pleasant, he took a good look at my scars and said that I had a combination of boxscars and Ice picks .. that all the skin surrounding my scars was fine..

He said the following:

1. Subcision will not help with ice picks, (ice picks must be punched excised) but quite good for either rolling scars or boxscars. If subcision is performed on ice picks, it tends to block off oxygen(?) on the ice picks and an abcess normally follows which creates a cyst and therefore more scarring.

2. I was not a suitable candidate for Isolagen at present because Isolagen is not useful for deep pits, only useful for shallow scarring/rough skin/wrinkles/large pores etc .. he said to save my money (nice guy) and consider it at a further date if I wasn't happy with the other procedures he would perform on me.

3. That N-lite was good at killing acne, but not a guarantee. N-Lite only helps normal pimples.. but does not work on cystic acne.

4. No one can have subcision if they have active acne since it would create an enormous infection leading to a big break out.

First thing that happened today was:

1. N-Lite - just a light pass (setting at 2.7 I think) which took no longer than 5 minutes .. only for around 2 seconds did I feel a stinging sensation. Totally painless really and no redness. I asked the derm if more passes would improve the skin but she said that they had experimented with this and a light pass was as effective as several passes at the same time.

2. Another derm took a couple of photos (just for their records) and put some silicon gel on my cheeks to make a plaster-cast model of my scars (so that they can measure the improvements in the future) - it only took around 1 minute for the gel to set before it was removed.

3. Dr Chu then performed subcison on around one third of my scars (most of the boxscars) - first, he injected me with anesthetic in around 10 different places on my face (this really hurt, I had tears in my eyes), then he subcised the boxcars which took around 10/15 minutes ... a nurse was present all the time, and would hold a swab to my face quite tightly where the subcision had taken place (Dr Chu said this was to help limit swelling and stop the blood flow) - it took a good 10 minutes for the bleeding to stop.

4. Dr Chu injected one exsisting cyst with cortison (I think) to kill it.

(All the above 4 took nearly 2 hours with lots of hanging around in between.)

Dr Chu said he wants to see me again in around 4 weeks and will get an appointment sent out to me for late July/early August so that he can 1. do more subcision, 2. perform punch excision on the ice picks.

The reason why he did not do the punch excision today was because they had run out of the punch tools which have been on order from the States for over a month.

About the punch excision, he said that the scar would be punched out, and one stitch would be put in place. This would leave a hairline scar which would replace the ice pick hole. 5 days after, the stitches need to be removed. He said a lot of swelling usually takes place.

Dr Chu then wrote me a prescription for 4 weeks worth of antibiotics (Clindamycin) which I need to take 3 times a day.

How did I look after the subcision? Swollen!!! My cheeks and forehead puffed right out and i could feel it being lumpy. (A kind of mild elephant man look) It's now around 7 hours after the procedure and the swelling has come down a lot - there are a few red marks where the needles went in but nothing much. My face is still slightly swollen and feels bruised. I am waiting to see if bruises (which is what Dr Chu said is likely to happen) appear on my face.

Dr Chu did not recommend any after care, but I am slathering my face with Copper Peptides and Emu Oil.

Also, I am taking herbal supplements of Arnica and Bromelin which are supposed to help with bruising and swelling (along with all my normal vits)

About Isolagen - It seems to now be at the stage where people are starting to have injections, I spoke with one of the nurses and she said that people have been pleased so far.

Dr Chu said that once the lab has the Isolagen ready, there is only a 1 week leeway for getting the injections started, that if there was a delay, Isolagen labs would charge amazing amounts of money to store the fibroblasts - that Hammermith hospital don't have the sterile facilites to do that.

That's it!! Report done (also posted this on the Dr Chu thread)

Is Dr Chu the guy who can hardly speak English?

No, Dr Chu has excellent English.. and sounds like he must have gone to a very good English school.

Lordcoleman

Dr Chu did mention to me that he had a couple of American patients who flew in for the Isolagen. He he... you must be rich!

Maya, i have the same scars with you

many of them too deep.

it seems Dr. Chu is qualifed in acne scars.

excited for you :D

Lordcoleman, isnt applying isolagen treatment?

if this method isnt present at USA, it may be too late present at asian countries :D

Thanks for the info Maya, and good luck with Dr Chu's recommendations!

I think I must have mostly shallow scarring as my derm seemed convinced that I could get a good result from having Isolagen done.